As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Mmm yes love that spiky devil fruit yum yum put it all right here in my mouth oh whoops ha ha just kidding it’s in the trash

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I really want to try mangosteen.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    You know, I was thinking of getting into eating ortolan, just as like, a regular thing.

You will spend so much money on napkins, though.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    MANGOSTEEN IS THE BEST :heartbeat:

Also I picked up some dried passion fruit snacks while I was in Vietnam and they were delicious? Which I didn't expect, cause like how do you dehydrate tiny weird alien egg baby fruits into a snackable object? But they were very very good.

oh no veldrin your durian fell in the trash it's okay i'll buy you some more when you guys come visit next

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You know, I was thinking of getting into eating ortolan, just as like, a regular thing.

Yes, this is a thing many normal human fathers do

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    look i'll eat a goddamned mangosteen when it's in season okay

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Mangosteen is real dang good

Its one of those fruits I'll probably just keep eating forever if it's in front of me

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

You will spend so much money on napkins, though.

Not to mention all the gods I’ll offend!

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Mangosteen is real dang good

Its one of those fruits I'll probably just keep eating forever if it's in front of me

Put a bag in front of me and I come out of a dissociative-eating state fifteen minutes later, fingers covered in dark red, husks strewn about like the bones of my enemies

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mmm yes love that spiky devil fruit yum yum put it all right here in my mouth oh whoops ha ha just kidding it’s in the trash
    Jokes on you that trash can has magic powers now

CYpGAPn.png
    Is the trash can a pod? Did we full circle this bitch?

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    We bought some Mangosteen from the new T&T market the other day, but the first one we cut into looked... partially rotted. Like, half the insides were mushy and had a weird dirty yellow fibrous something clinging to it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I both hate and love that I got this

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Why would you eat Mangosteen? He has some great music.

sig.gif
    edited February 2019
    We bought some Mangosteen from the new T&T market the other day, but the first one we cut into looked... partially rotted. Like, half the insides were mushy and had a weird dirty yellow fibrous something clinging to it.

That sucks. Mushy isn't good, although some yellow fibers are fine.

Mangosteen hot tips:

1. Look for nice heavy mangosteen with green tops and red-to-dark-red skins. It's hard to tell if they're bruised but like they shouldn't be cracked at all or soft on the outside. NOT SOFT! Soft = bad. The texture of the skin doesn't matter - they don't need to be smooth, they can be rough or mottled to the touch and they'll still be just fine inside.
    2. To open, please do not cut your mangosteen. The delicious secret meats bruise very easily. Instead, pop off the little hat (the stiff leafy cap) with your thumb, then put the mangosteen in your one palm, sort of on top of your mound of Venus. Using your other hand/mound of Venus, push firmly down on the soft section where you popped off the cap, sort of like you're trying to unjam a bottle or something. If you do it right, the whole mangosteen should split in half or almost in half and you can pull the tough skin apart with your fingers without smashing the meats.
    3. You can eat the seeds. Just chew 'em on up.

E: 4. Mangosteen season is the same as durian, so like late July/August to September for your best mangosteens.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know lately I suffer from the HUNGER
    My brother made fun of the fact last week we went to Bk I wolfed down the Texas whopper my pack of fries, 10 of the nuggets came home ate half a large bag of twizzlers had ramen with leftover steak for dinner and munched on peanuts for the rest of the night
    I also drank about 4 cups of Dr Pepper at Bk and a gallon+ of tea when I was at home

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

That sucks. Mushy isn't good, although some yellow fibers are fine.

Mangosteen hot tips:

1. Look for nice heavy mangosteen with green tops and red-to-dark-red skins. It's hard to tell if they're bruised but like they shouldn't be cracked at all or soft on the outside. NOT SOFT! Soft = bad. The texture of the skin doesn't matter - they don't need to be smooth, they can be rough or mottled to the touch and they'll still be just fine inside.
    2. To open, please do not cut your mangosteen. The delicious secret meats bruise very easily. Instead, pop off the little hat (the stiff leafy cap) with your thumb, then put the mangosteen in your one palm, sort of on top of your mound of Venus. Using your other hand/mound of Venus, push firmly down on the soft section where you popped off the cap, sort of like you're trying to unjam a bottle or something. If you do it right, the whole mangosteen should split in half or almost in half and you can pull the tough skin apart with your fingers without smashing the meats.
    3. You can eat the seeds. Just chew 'em on up.

E: 4. Mangosteen season is the same as durian, so like late July/August to September for your best mangosteens.

May have just been that one, the one I had just now was much better. Not green on top, but not rotting, either.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have never heard of mangosteen or durian before. You people live such exotic lives.

Well if it makes you feel any better a small packet of raspberries costs me between 4 and 8 dollars. Cherries, forget about it. Sometimes you can get decent stone fruit but it's so expensive I don't want to talk about it...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know of Durian because of animal crossing I know they smell bad which is why I find it interesting they have them in that game
    I had heard of or read about mangosteen but I may of had it once

I just ordered a chicken waffle eggs Benedict.
    ud2um0j8zmq4.jpeg

It is very rich and I probably shouldn’t have ordered cheesy garlic bread too

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I have never heard of mangosteen or durian before. You people live such exotic lives.

I love that you say things like this after spending a few years working on a game reserve in Africa - "Wow, durian? How exotic! Oh by the way elephants busted up our water supply this morning so instead of going to see the cheetahs today we went into town to get some plumbing supplies we saw some springboks and hyenas on the way back so I suppose the day wasn't a total loss..."

• the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    first day of cook training! I made a couple omelets and paninis, so far. and the customers didn't complain! fuck, I am excited.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I remember my first cook job, went in and was told that I would be making toast from 6am until noon. I had assumed that this would be the easiest job in the entire world...but let me tell you, people are insane about the color of their goddamn toast.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    I remember my first cook job, went in and was told that I would be making toast from 6am until noon. I had assumed that this would be the easiest job in the entire world...but let me tell you, people are insane about the color of their goddamn toast.

careful there, this very thread has gone on long tangents about restaurant toast color

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Toast is bad. Gimme english muffins.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Some good Greek toast with corned beef hash & eggs is pretty fantastic though.

MichaelLC on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Some good Greek toast with corned beef hash & eggs is pretty good, though.

You're going to have to be more specific with this.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ha, I was just looking it up.

Think it's also called Texas Toast. Just thick-cut bread, usually with seeds on the top. Often heavily buttered.
    rts4x78hhpb6.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I both hate and love that I got this
    I didn't mainline 900+ chapters of One Piece for nothing

These jokes are all I have

CYpGAPn.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yo ho ho he took a bite of regret-regret

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Special powers in exchange for not being able to do the thing I can't do anyway? Sign me up.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Special powers in exchange for not being able to do the thing I can't do anyway? Sign me up.

Some of them make you living energy. Fair trade imo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So uh, turns out Kristen Kish (protege of Barbara Lynch and former Top Chef champion) opened her restaurant Arlo Grey in Austin.

Holy fucking shit you guys.
    kgnh3s70bqxm.jpg
    New York Strip with confit mushrooms.
    nkrsc233sqvr.jpg
    Chocolate cake with vanilla creme with coffee caramel and potato chips. A play on the hostess cupcakes and potato chips her parents would pack her for lunch.

These are just two of the dishes we got (it's a shared plates kinda deal) but everything, everything we got was exquisite. And then she came out and said hello because the woman who originally wanted to eat there is a huge fangirl of hers. And with each set of dishes one of the staff would come out and explain what everything was and the story behind it and how the dish was originally conceived.

Overall dinner was about 3 hours long but honestly 10/10 experience, absolutely go there if you're in Austin.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    put the mangosteen in your one palm, sort of on top of your mound of Venus.
    Oh buddy I was so confused here for a second. I think you meant the Mount of Venus, not the Mound of Venus (NSFW).

I DID

RUVCwyu.jpg
    Although the logistics of the latter would be impressive to achieve

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    look i just assumed you were being transparent about just how much you love mangosteen

6vjsgrerts6r.png

So if I ever find mangosteen I put it in my dick? Instructions aren't particularly clear.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So if I ever find mangosteen I put it in my dick? Instructions aren't particularly clear.

On your dick. Not in. In probably leads to a UTI.

This discussion has been closed.