As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] My Better Brexit Deal Goes To Another School

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    It does feel that May is running down the clock, but one issue is that there is a huge raft of legislation that needs to pass. Presumably May is also hoping that it can all be passed with as little scrutiny as possible.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The latest gibberish via the BBC.
    The PM will say "we now all need to hold our nerve" to get the changes needed to get her Brexit deal through Parliament by the 29 March deadline.

She has been trying to secure changes to the backstop arrangement - the "insurance" policy to avoid a return to border checks on the island of Ireland.

The EU has reiterated it will not renegotiate the withdrawal agreement.

Leader of the Commons Andrea Leadsom said Mrs May "needs a bit more time" to negotiate with the EU and would give MPs a "meaningful vote" on a revised deal "as soon as possible".
    No good news here. If I squint I can almost hope that the last line from Leadsom means that there might be some small hope that they'll ask for an extension. Highly unlikely since the hard-core types are all the 29th or bust, but I can dream.

Nah. The clock is being intentionally run out now. Everything since the deal failed has just being meaningless noise to maintain the illusion things are happening. No deal is the price worth paying to end freedom of movement but it isn't politically viable to come out and say that so now we get 6-7 weeks of pantomime to enjoy.

Remember this the next time someone tries to deny that brexit isn't about racism.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    The PM will say "we now all need to hold our nerve" to get the changes needed to get her Brexit deal through Parliament by the 29 March deadline.

She has been trying to secure changes to the backstop arrangement - the "insurance" policy to avoid a return to border checks on the island of Ireland.

Leader of the Commons Andrea Leadsom said Mrs May "needs a bit more time" to negotiate with the EU and would give MPs a "meaningful vote" on a revised deal "as soon as possible".
    No good news here. If I squint I can almost hope that the last line from Leadsom means that there might be some small hope that they'll ask for an extension. Highly unlikely since the hard-core types are all the 29th or bust, but I can dream.

Nah. The clock is being intentionally run out now. Everything since the deal failed has just being meaningless noise to maintain the illusion things are happening. No deal is the price worth paying to end freedom of movement but it isn't politically viable to come out and say that so now we get 6-7 weeks of pantomime to enjoy.

Remember this the next time someone tries to deny that brexit isn't about racism.

It is, but I'd say it's even more about xenophobia. We don't care about their skin colour so much as we care that they're foreign.
    Take the shopkeepers from League of Gentlemen, and that's pretty much it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's not just racism and xenophobia, though that's strongly in the mix. It's the vague sense of entitlement to be more important than we feel, the tabloid narrative about the EU constantly getting the better of us or imposing unwanted rules, etc. It's mostly prejudice, but it's a febrile swirl of other things as well. Mixed in with all that are some actually valid criticisms of the EU, but honestly I think those play a part in a definite minority of Leave voters minds.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

This cannot be true as the deal on the table ends freedom of movement.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

It is, but I'd say it's even more about xenophobia. We don't care about their skin colour so much as we care that they're foreign.

I frankly don't care about petty distinctions. Racism dressed up nicely and behaving itself for the cameras can call itself xenophobia if it likes. When the outcome is the same I don't care about the name.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I frankly don't care about petty distinctions. Racism dressed up nicely and behaving itself for the cameras can call itself xenophobia if it likes. When the outcome is the same I don't care about the name.

It's not a nicer name, it's pointing out that race isn't specifically the issue - by calling it racism you miss a bunch of the other bigotry and give them a way out of arguing that it's not being done for the specific bigotted reason you've raised and is therefore entirely acceptable.

Tastyfish on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The New York Times takes on the food availability issue:
    In a letter to Michael Gove, the secretary of state for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, trade associations said, “Business throughout the U.K. food chain — and their trade associations — are now totally focused on working to mitigate the catastrophic impact of a no-deal Brexit.”

“Neither we nor our members have the physical resources nor organizational bandwidth to engage with and properly respond to non-Brexit related policy consultations or initiatives at this time,” they wrote on Friday.

The department responded on Tuesday that it was meeting with representatives on a weekly basis. “While we have intensified our no-deal planning, we are continuing to tackle other priority issues that matter to people, including our plans to reduce plastic waste and deliver a Green Brexit,” it said an email.

The food producers join executives at supermarket chains, like Walmart-owned Asda, and fast-food outlets, like McDonald’s, which sounded the alarm in January, saying that they feared “significant disruption in the short term.”

The message then: We’ve run out of patience and we could be short on food. The message now (and bluntly said on BBC): “This is really, really scary.”

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Talking about delivering a green Brexit at this point just reads as satire.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It might be inadvertently green. Crashing industry and shipping probably has a carbon reduction associated.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    It does feel that May is running down the clock, but one issue is that there is a huge raft of legislation that needs to pass. Presumably May is also hoping that it can all be passed with as little scrutiny as possible.

apparently there is a process for passing statutory instruments without the usual rigmarole that could be used to avoid this problem

https://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/blog/can-the-government-get-all-its-brexit-statutory-instruments-through
    Ultimately, if the government is running out of time, it can initiate the urgent case procedure set out in the EU (Withdrawal) Act. Under this procedure, ministers can make SIs that come into immediate effect having been ‘made’ (signed-off) by the minister. ‘Made affirmatives’ require both Houses to approve them within 28 days to remain in force.

To use this procedure, ministers will simply have to provide a written statement explaining the urgency. In the circumstances, this will not be difficult. Ministers have said that they do not anticipate using the urgent procedure – and if our hunch is correct, and the overall number of Brexit SIs that still need to be laid is lower than expected, they may not need to do so. Nevertheless, it is a useful insurance in the event of problems arising on or near 29 March. This procedure would ensure that all SIs that are required can come into effect on exit day.

obF2Wuw.png
  • fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

It's not a nicer name, it's pointing out that race isn't specifically the issue - by calling it racism you miss a bunch of the other bigotry and give them a way out off arguing that it's not being done for the specific bigotted reason you've raised and is therefore entirely acceptable.

Right it's an important distinction, considering the rise in reported hate crimes against the Polish community or indeed anyone speaking a foreign language.

For example, this incident, where of course they also got the language and nationality wrong for added moron points.

www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-cambridgeshire-42706163

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Where is any idea of an extension actually occurring coming from? Everything I keep reading says the EU isn’t going to allow for that in the current circumstances. I’m so confused.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    The idea is coming from Tory MPs who just now realized they've been extremely foolish. The EU has not in any way signaled that they are open to an extension unless its to call the whole thing off.

• EpiphanyEpiphany Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    It might be inadvertently green. Crashing industry and shipping probably has a carbon reduction associated.

Just wait until everyone is cutting down every bit of shrubbery to burn in an old oil barrel on their front lawn.

3DS Code- 4700-0094-6364
  • LongLiveTheCoreLongLiveTheCore Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It's not just racism and xenophobia, though that's strongly in the mix.

Who is it racist & xenophobic to exactly?

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Them! Pick someone!

Everybody and nobody? Doesn't matter who. Just need someone to blame. They ruined everything and when they are gone everything will be ok.

Unfortunately enough people are happy to go along with this.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • LongLiveTheCoreLongLiveTheCore Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

Them. Pick someone!

Everybody and nobody? Doesn't matter who. Just need someone to blame. They ruined everything and when they are gone everything will be ok.

Its a serious question.

Who is the group/ethnicity that Brexit voters are supposedly against? Them is rather a sweeping statement.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Shimshai wrote: »

Them. Pick someone!

Its a serious question.

Who is the group/ethnicity that Brexit voters are supposedly against? Them is rather a sweeping statement.

And Them is also a rather sweeping answer that happens to be true.

People will pick their own boogeymen, at least until recently in Ireland it was all Latvia/Poland/Romania that were the countries to blame, regardless of actual numbers of migrants coming in.

Edit: Why are you hung up on which specific race is being talked about in Bogart's post? It's all of them. Maybe you've not being paying attention to the whole Brexit thing until now.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    People who will lose access to live and work in the United Kingdom after brexit, for a start

sig.gif
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    People who will lose access to live and work in the United Kingdom after brexit, for a start

This is probably the best definition.

I have friends or family who I suspect may have voted for Brexit (I haven’t asked, they haven’t said).

They’re all friends with people of many races and nationalities, so long as they are also long-term UK residents. They’re absolutely okay with anyone of any skin color and heritage so long as they’re not here on working arrangements with the EU.

I’ve not heard anything racist from their mouths, just generalized ‘grr people who work here and send their money back to mainland Europe’ complaints. That’s the ‘them’.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Except "them" also includes lot of people who won't just suddenly go "poof", because people come in from places other than EU.
    Them, as in Not Us.
    Could be anyone, could Polish, could Latvian, could be Indian, Lebanese, could become Irish again after Brexit is done.

No, not that guy, i know him, he's a hard working upstanding people (who is about the get kicked out of the country, but whatever), but, you know, Them, all the other people from <insert place here>.

There is no answer who "They" are, because there is always a new group to be labeled "Them".

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The day after the referendum numerous reporters who are of colour mentioned on Twitter or on their news report that the morning was the first in a long time someone had publicly used a racial slur towards them. Didn't matter if they were from an EU country, didn't matter if immigration of people who looked like them would be affected by Brexit. They were different, and some Leave voters were revelling in their newfound power to be openly racist.

The possibility of Turkey joining the EU was raised multiple times by Brexit campaigners as a terrible, scary thing, because 70 million Turks would turn up the very next day expecting a white man's job, wife and home. Farage posed in front of pictures of refugees from Syria doing everything but making ooga booga noises, even though refugee policy had basically nothing to do with the EU, and up to that point (and since) the number of refugees from Syria the UK has accepted has been pitifully small. It wasn't an dark undercurrent to the campaign: racism was a central theme.

Control of our borders was one of the two central planks of the Leave campaign, precisely because the question of who was coming in and living here was so contentious among half the population. Foreigners who were coming over here to simultaneously skive on benefits and take our jobs were the over-riding moral panic of the referendum.

The original statement was about people's reason for voting and supporting Brexit, not about what actual effects Brexit would have on any particular foreign-born segment of the UK population, or what people of colour already living here would be affected. What Brexit actually turns out to be has little to do with the reasons people voted for it, though Theresa May has shown herself dutifully willing to be as hostile towards immigrants as the very worst people in the country would like.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Are we really still asking if Brexit was powered by racism and xenophobia? Which Leave campaign do you think was the non racist non xenophobic one? The one led by “has a history of using racial slurs and wrote an op ed laughing at women in hijabs saying they look like letterboxes” guy or the one led by “regularly appears on Fox News to claim white people cant enter certain parts of Birmingham and spoke at a neo nazi rally in Germany at the invitation of the granddaughter of one of Hitler’s top aides” guy?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Hell, the core question being asked was framed as an Us (the UK) vs. Them (the EU) conflict. Even if they hadn't gone with the Polish plumbers and Syrian hordes it'd still have been a fundamentally xenophobic based campaign.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Don't forget classism, that was a healthy component.
    Because all immigrants were automatically assumed to be going directly on social welfare, which made them plebs/chavs depending on your upbringing.
    They were simultaneously coming over here and taking our jobs, at the same time as they were coming over here and sponging off the taxpayer.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Don't forget classism, that was a healthy component.
    Because all immigrants were automatically assumed to be going directly on social welfare, which made them plebs/chavs depending on your upbringing.
    They were simultaneously coming over here and taking our jobs, at the same time as they were coming over here and sponging off the taxpayer.

Well to be fair, my partner did indeed manage to do just that!

She's an EU migrant who found a high skilled science job here and then claimed child benefit

*gasp*

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The British Chambers of Commerce has some questions they'd like the government to answer. Such as...
    What tariffs will my company need to pay when importing goods to the UK from the EU and rest of the world?

When will the UK Government launch an official market access database to provide this information?

Which regulator will be overseeing my business after 29 March 2019 and what rules do I need to follow?

What procedures will my company face trading between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland?
    You know, minor things like that.

Edit: More good news.
    Ford Motor Co told British Prime Minister Theresa May that it is stepping up preparations to move production out of Britain, The Times reported on Tuesday.

The automaker told the prime minister during a private call with business leaders that it is preparing alternative sites abroad, The Times said.

Ford is the top-selling automotive brand in Britain, which is its third-largest market and the destination for roughly one in three cars made at its plant in Cologne, Germany. It employs about 13,000 people in Britain.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The British Chambers of Commerce has some questions they'd like the government to answer. Such as...
    What tariffs will my company need to pay when importing goods to the UK from the EU and rest of the world?

When will the UK Government launch an official market access database to provide this information?

Which regulator will be overseeing my business after 29 March 2019 and what rules do I need to follow?

What procedures will my company face trading between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland?
    You know, minor things like that.
    I am happy to provide answer to all these questions.
    Nobody knows.

The answer is Brexit. And we all know what that means.
    It means Brexit.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Brexit AKA #REF!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    #REF!erendum?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    one of the great things about brexit is that it has shown how poorly constructed britain's intellectual immune system is; our news organisations, debate etc are totally unprepared and unable to handle very straightforward questions of bullshit. instead their pathological misunderstanding of their purpose - and this is especially malign at the bbc - is to believe that they are there to be engaging, and thus the farages, digby joneses, rees-moggs get paraded out non-stop.

lurking under all of this is, of course, britains generic problem with social class; isnt it mysterious how all these terribly confident brexiters tend to come from a certain background. the exception would be wetherspoons guy because we have a separate pigeonhole for him, but it is pretty grim. sometimes you gotta set all your cultural norms on fire

obF2Wuw.png
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular

I feel this wasn't the innovative jam we were promised

edited February 2019
    i think the best example of this overall was the article 24 GATT thing - a year or so ago this was huge, it was going to make no deal so easy, but nobody is talking about it any more and indeed liam fox a few days ago completely ruled it out as an option because hey, its for a specific subset of interim agreements that fill in when a trade negotiation is almost finished, it gives everybody else a veto, etc, but you had fuckin rees-mogg on the bbc pulling out his phone to read from the article while talking to lorand bartels as if his raw interpretation of the text would compel the wto to do the right thing

he was so confused he actually confused bartels, because he ended up saying "it's all conditional on us getting an agreement" to which bartels, perplexed, said "i mean, of course..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRt7eTU-Je4

EDIT: for those wondering

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I feel this wasn't the innovative jam we were promised

Pretending that microorganisms don't exist because you've thrown the visual evidence of their presence in the bin seems well aligned with 21st century right wing thought.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My Dad does that though, that's not unusual

Specially amongst people of an age

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Deleted per mod comment on next page.

Jazz on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    On that point: May has type 1 diabetes.

Hopefully she'll continue to be able to obtain sufficient insulin to eat that jam.

Tarantio on
This discussion has been closed.