As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    There were five interviewers on the panel, so it would have been an extremely intimate get-together.
    Honestly it still felt a little crowded even though they were two states away.

4f38vnzg5dez.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    hello work is stressful to me because i'm bad at working and don't think i provide any real value and regret most of my choices over the last decade+ etc cool

anyway

i am currently trying to do work from this airplane and its wobbly and bumpy

Hot tip: most people are bad at most things. Just keep trying and learning, stay positive and you'll get there.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Mostly adequate will get you far in life.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    yeah, it's mostly the like, lack of sustained trying and coasting by on mediocrity and my own intelligence and hiding for so long (like over a decade??) that is scary
    like i'm gonna be found out that i haven't tried enough or worked hard

and i want to try
    sometimes i have bursts of it

i want to do good and better, now i realize, after all these years, that trying hard and learning and growing is good... but it's a hard thing to learn
    (i mean, i've known about all this growth mindset vs fixed mindset stuff for the last few years and have been working on it, but old habits and thought patterns take work to fix.. slowly I guess)

then i procrastinate for various reasons and then get stressed out about having not tried and people being like yeah you do okay but you never put in extra effort or show initiative
    and feel that i haven't learned or grown or tried over so many years

and i get scared

but, i guess this is more a conversation for my therapist tomorrow huh

hoo booey

(sorry. i just had a minor sadness spiral this afternoon after some work anxiety related to that, e.g. having a meeting with boss person today after not having talked to him 1 on 1 since our dev talks in dec, and having like nothing to show for it in terms of plan / feeling like i've had no real accomplishments this year. i don’t even know what i do etc)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    One thing I noticed, Shazkar, before I got my latest job was that I was bored.
    I went from a lead, making decisions and directing people, to a minion for the duration of the project, which was a year and a half.
    I also thought I was not learning or advancing or anything, because I couldn't really do anything.

But after finding my new job, it's challenging. I've had to use all my experience to do this, and it's awesome! I have proven that I know my stuff and I have learned.

Maybe you are bored and unchallenged too?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I just had a screening interview for a faculty job.

... in the pod.

Isn't there only 1 stool in the pod?

It was a Skype interview!

the pod is very comfortable. The pod is a supremely adequate communication venue. Everything is fine.

We’ve

We’ve lost tynic.

Upshot, no robot uprising.

Downshot, no robot uprising.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    hey did yall know that buttons for controlling a circuit breaker won't work when they're fed off the load side of said circuit breaker if the circuit breaker is open? cause I did. I looked at the schematic, printed on the door, assembled by the factory, and knew it would never work.

engineers

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I went from a lead, making decisions and directing people, to a minion for the duration of the project, which was a year and a half.
    I also thought I was not learning or advancing or anything, because I couldn't really do anything.

But after finding my new job, it's challenging. I've had to use all my experience to do this, and it's awesome! I have proven that I know my stuff and I have learned.

I think I was bored for most of my first job which I stayed at for way way too long. Finally got laid off and started a challenging and interesting job but fell into a similar pattern. A few jobs later, I’m currently at a job that definitely (I think??) is interesting and challenging, and had lots of opportunities to grow and push myself in different ways (and I like it and the people). That’s why I want to do well now. Just my old habits of coasting for so long and avoiding challenge etc are getting in the way. I’m better than I was 5 years ago but still fall into some of the old traps

poo
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    hey did yall know that buttons for controlling a circuit breaker won't work when they're fed off the load side of said circuit breaker if the circuit breaker is open? cause I did. I looked at the schematic, printed on the door, assembled by the factory, and knew it would never work.

engineers

reading instructions is hard tho

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

engineers

The instructions were followed! They were just wrong.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    There were five interviewers on the panel, so it would have been an extremely intimate get-together.
    Honestly it still felt a little crowded even though they were two states away.

4f38vnzg5dez.png

Alternate view,

fullwidth.504cf584.jpg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

engineers

writing is even harder than reading!

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    It's cliche but Slaughterhouse 5 is definitely way up there, since it's basically the closest I've come to being okay with my own mortality.

William Burroughs, Junky followed by the Yage Letters.

If you haven't read Junky, I highly recommend it, especially if your experience in counter and drug culture is minimal. Very educational.

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Applying for jobs is checking your email every three minutes and being irrationally angry any time someone sends you an email or a message that’s not about a job.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

I think I was bored for most of my first job which I stayed at for way way too long. Finally got laid off and started a challenging and interesting job but fell into a similar pattern. A few jobs later, I’m currently at a job that definitely (I think??) is interesting and challenging, and had lots of opportunities to grow and push myself in different ways (and I like it and the people). That’s why I want to do well now. Just my old habits of coasting for so long and avoiding challenge etc are getting in the way. I’m better than I was 5 years ago but still fall into some of the old traps

Congratulations, you're human. People that pitch the "growing all the time" and actually live it are intensely rare and often are giving up other human behaviors in return.
    The big thing for me was to stop anchoring on what I wasn't/didn't do and stay anchored on what was interesting to me that day/week/month and how I could make progress on it. You burn a lot of mental capacity looking backwards at dumb shit you've already learned the lesson on, stop doing that. It's inefficient and doesn't improve your future performance.
    It sounds simple and dumb because it is, but just focus on positive things/habits and ignore or don't focus on bad ones. In time you'll just move yourself because humans brains are dumb and overemphasize what has the mindshare from a pure minutes perspective.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

engineers

writing is even harder than reading!

This is a science fact.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I’ve been using vacation time to take Fridays off for the last few weeks. They’ve occasionally offered us overtime but you can’t do overtime if you’re using vacation time in the same week so I haven’t done any. This week my team lead said I could do overtime if I wanted. I worked today Tuesday until 8:00pm and was planning on working late Wednesday as well.

But it’s nearly 4:00 am and I’m not asleep yet. I’m considering calling in sick but I did 3.5 hours of OT and I’m taking Friday off as well. Seems like a dick move.

Or I try to sleep for a couple hours and be tired and miserable tomorrow today.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    My phone interview for today was canceled because the recruiter got sick. Hopefully the recruiter gets better soon and contacts me for a reschedule for this week.

Got another phone interview for a teller position at wells fargo in the senior citizens area. I've been declined a job after an in person interview at this place already so I'm not really expecting much if they give me another in person interview.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Fuck it I’m calling in sick. I don’t know what that means for the overtime I worked this week but my alarm goes off in less than two hours and I have not slept.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    my phone interview with an aerospace company went well and I'll be invited onsite. It was only 17 minutes long. I was expecting more time but it was very perfunctory. She only asked a couple of questions and I had to fill in the gap. Luckily I've got a couple of good questions that I ask interviewers to show my interest. I think a really good one is, "What would be a widely successful first 6 months?" That clarifies their expectations and fills in a lot of details about what the job actually is. The onsite interview will be in a week or two. Oh shits, I need to get my suit dry cleaned yet again.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Got my yearly bonus, woo! Now to engage in base consumerism

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

The durable kind or the consumable kind? (Game console vs. Booze?)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

The durable kind or the consumable kind? (Game console vs. Booze?)

Probably a mix! Magic cards, a new PC, and a nice dinner are all options.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Magic cards? Rip your bonus.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    bowen wrote: »
    Magic cards? Rip your bonus.

Reminds me of "The 40 Tabletop Games You Must Play" panel I saw at PAXEast last year. When they got to the slide about MtG they just showed

maxresdefault.jpg

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am loosing my mind. I was just talking to several teachers and the happy birthday song came up and I mentioned how it isn't under copyright anymore. None of them knew that. I asked them if they ever noticed how TV shows and movies would sing completely fake made up birthday songs instead and none of them noticed that.

Have I fallen into an alternate universe where this didn't happen? Please send help!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The copyright didn’t expire in the US, it was moved to public domain in 2016 under a ruling that the copyright was invalid.

European law led to the expiration in 2017.

Nobody on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I am loosing my mind. I was just talking to several teachers and the happy birthday song came up and I mentioned how it isn't under copyright anymore. None of them knew that. I asked them if they ever noticed how TV shows and movies would sing completely fake made up birthday songs instead and none of them noticed that.

Have I fallen into an alternate universe where this didn't happen? Please send help!

found the pod spawn

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yesterday in my continuing series of whiteboard memes I draw on the "library closed for testing" board I drew an intricate Condescending Wonka. Got no likes on the twitter. Today I drew a grumpy cat in like a minute and am getting slammed by likes and retweets.

Social media is weird.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yesterday in my continuing series of whiteboard memes I draw on the "library closed for testing" board I drew an intricate Condescending Wonka. Got no likes on the twitter. Today I drew a grumpy cat in like a minute and am getting slammed by likes and retweets.

Social media is weird.

Condescending Wonka is an old reference to an old movie the youts have no experience with. It is mostly a troll meme meant to get a rise out of the folks it is being condescending of, or to disparage an out group your in group believes is deserving of condescension. It's a meme everyone knows but immediately dislikes cause there's a chance it's going to insult you. You have to decide after you engage with it if it's being shitty to you or to someone you know.

Grumpy cat is a modern reference to a curently available product line that even if a bit of a tired meme by this point oss often used to convey a universal sour feeling everyone can relate to. Sometimes life is garbage, and everyone knows it. Grumpy cat is there for the times life is garbage and you feel grumpy about it. Grumpy cat is insulting to everyone, usually equally, and in a blunt often times absurdist manner that everyone can connect with at some level as a shared in group of folks that get grumpy sometimes or can empathize with folks that get grumpy sometimes.

Condescending Wonka would possibly carry less social capital in a broad audience mainly because it requires more effort to engage with, and is often dependent on meming within an in-group you know you agree with. Grumpy cat is a cute kitty everyone can empathize with.

...I spend too long thinking about memes.

Sleep on
  • Options
    i am going to owe dickloads in taxes this year

but also more annoyingly, last year they set up automated on call payments, and i was accidentally paid $700 extra dollars near the end of the year
    obviously company wants money back so then HR emails me about deducting it from future paycheck, well, sure, it's your money that's fine, i wasn't owed it

but it was gonna make my taxes more of a pain because they said they would need to give me a w2c, which is fine, i could do that, just had to wait longer to do my taxes

then i get another email
    Payroll determined a way to avoid the issuance of W-2c by reducing the gross amount overpaid by the FICA tax (Social Security and Medicare). You can claim a Federal and State tax adjustment by filing a "claim of rights" when you file your personal income tax return. Im sure an accountant will be able to help you.

...snip...

The IRS discussion about claim of rights is here:
    https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17#en_US_2016_publink1000172015

i don't even know what this means and now i have to figure it out

between everyones time, mine and theirs, this was surely more than 700 dollars worth
    v annoying

poo
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My friend just had an interview with a pretty famous band to be their bass player, I don't want to say it yet but I'm definitely going to shout it from the roof tops and get a tattoo if he does.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    well, I ended up in a bit of a conundrum but I thinked I picked the best way out

I got back into the USA from teaching abroad a couple months back and started putting out job apps after the holidays

I ended up hearing back from last year's spring/early summer field biology job that I really enjoyed, that paid reasonably well, and I got along great with everyone involved, so I more or less committed to a second year on the spot. It'll look great on my resume, and is the kind of stuff I want to do for grad school. It's also the final year of that project and I'm not gonna have it as an opportunity in the future.

Now, on Monday I finally heard from a lab research company I had put in for in mid-January, and they loved my resume. This would be full time with benefits in a different city. I disclosed my prior commitment to the field research job, but made it clear I'd be permanently available after late July/early August. The hiring manager who called me said they couldn't hold the door open on this particular round of applications beyond April, but my chances should be good if I put in my name somewhere around May-June.

Am I actually likely to get lucky with that job over summer? There are other research labs around, too, so even if lightning doesn't strike twice I'm probably not entirely fucked. I guess I'm just worried I looked a gift horse in the mouth here.

tl;dr - I temporarily turned down a really great position to work at a slightly more niche one. I think I'm good. Am I good?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Still no news either way on the job I interviewed for. My sister works for a local college's career office helping grads get jobs and she tells me thats probably a good thing? Like if it went as bad as I thought then I probably would have heard from HR with the thanks but no thanks.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My friend just had an interview with a pretty famous band to be their bass player, I don't want to say it yet but I'm definitely going to shout it from the roof tops and get a tattoo if he does.

[furiously Googles what songs have "Shout it from the rooftops" in the lyrics]

Oh, there's a lot actually.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    So I keep failing to click a little button and it looks bad on my manager even though I do a lot of more complex stuff well, including the things the button is supposed to support. now he doesn't even want to talk to me today and I can't help it feel that he's angry.

I really like this manager, I do like my job, and I think I figured out how to stop making this stupid button not get clicked. But I feel just isolated depressed and stressed about the whole thing.

To top it off he had to move me into a private office and got overruled to do it (none of this was me), and i feel like he's mad at me about it.

I hate anxiety.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

yeah that was not meant to be a hint, I would just be very proud of him. It is a very tattoo-able band which is a hint?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

yeah that was not meant to be a hint, I would just be very proud of him. It is a very tattoo-able band which is a hint?

Coheed and Cambria?

Gettin yourself a keywork?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Still no news either way on the job I interviewed for. My sister works for a local college's career office helping grads get jobs and she tells me thats probably a good thing? Like if it went as bad as I thought then I probably would have heard from HR with the thanks but no thanks.

After 5-7 days passes, send a polite email or give the person you interviewed with a buzz to see where you stand.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.