As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Kano is the quintessential jobber that always manages to slink away.

I despised love him until Trevor Goddard reimagined him as Aussie, and they finally featured that design Deadly Alliance.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Watching MK9 endings and
    I'm pretty sure Kronika is in Jade's ending. Jade has a dream about a woman who had been watching things for centuries and who says the death of Shao Kahn needed to he "reimagined."

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    A weird thing has happened. I'm trying to think of a character happening in the new MK that would be really exciting and I can't come up with one. Maybe I'm just getting impatient for new information or something.

I'd like to see Nitara (she's one of the few characters with wings, and she rocks the one-eyed look) and Ashrah (Cool design and I liked her story about being a demon fighting for redemption.)

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I want the mk kids theme to give me a teenage son of goro damñit

Also I need to find those early concept drawings for jaqqie briggs, they looked so much more awesome than what we ended up with in X, and I'm hoping if she's in this one they use those designs instead of the one we got in x

Edit: here they are
    z204mqs9n4s01.jpg

Prohass on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    No one cares if ferra/torr shows up again? There were other new kharacters besides the kids!

WingedWeasel on
    Depending on when this takes place, it might have to be Ferra as the brute with a new character as the rider.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I just want some new characters. MK has always been good about that, with roughly one third of every game's cast being brand new. The only real outliers were Armageddon and 9, but that's because one was an end of an era kind of thing and the other one was basically a reboot in the form of retelling the tale of the first three games.

Hopefully timey-wimey storyline doesn't make them go too crazy on old characters, although I would be fine if "new character" slots were taken up by some of the lamer old characters re-imagined into something cool.

Depending on when this takes place, it might have to be Ferra as the brute with a new character as the rider.

I kind of hated that reveal ending. It just made the characters a lot less special, while also piling in yet another kind of people in Outworld on top of the Shokan, Centuarians, Reptids, Tarkatans, Edenians, and anyone else I’m forgetting (Osh-Tekk?)

I wanted Ferra Torr to be the only one.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Ferra/Torr were cool in concept. Gave the animators something fun to do with a hulking brute and little assassin thing.

Their story is non-existent in MKX. Outside of their ending, there is no character development. They could have just been any other member of any other race and had no relatable impact.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Back in MK2, Baraka was a ‘member of a race in of nomadic mutants in the Outworld’ and...I kind of dug that. It cast a wider net, in terms of what Baraka came from and who else could be a part of that. Rather than just a pile of hooligans in sleeveless vests who are not very good at having knife arms.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    They severely dumbed down Reptile's character over the years too. He was badass as fuck in the first couple MK's. Now he's always portrayed as a primitive, dumb, subservient lizard man that goes down like a goddamn chump.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited February 2019

I kind of hated that reveal ending. It just made the characters a lot less special, while also piling in yet another kind of people in Outworld on top of the Shokan, Centuarians, Reptids, Tarkatans, Edenians, and anyone else I’m forgetting (Osh-Tekk?)

Isn't the whole point of Outland is that it's a hodgepodge of multiple conquered realms? Makes sense for the to be tons of different types of people.

Undead Scottsman on

Isn't the whole point of Outland is that it's a hodgepodge of multiple conquered realms? Makes sense for the to be tons of different types of people.

Right, but there’s never any sense of scale to it. Outworld just sounds increasingly crowded rather than bigger. Why not make Ferra Torr another Tarkatan, but a weird pair of them? Another example of that piece of MK backstory, that builds on what is there?

Otherwise it’s just chucking in more stuff, devaluing rather than enriching the existing ideas and characters.

And, yes, this is me going on about Mortal Kombat and I get that there are other game series with the kind of attention to backstory and worldbuilding I want to see here, and I get there’s some absurdity in looking for this in a game primarily about fighting and creative dismemberment, but I still think it’s valid to explore these decisions about the setting.

Right, but there’s never any sense of scale to it. Outworld just sounds increasingly crowded rather than bigger. Why not make Ferra Torr another Tarkatan, but a weird pair of them? Another example of that piece of MK backstory, that builds on what is there?

Otherwise it’s just chucking in more stuff, devaluing rather than enriching the existing ideas and characters.

And, yes, this is me going on about Mortal Kombat and I get that there are other game series with the kind of attention to backstory and worldbuilding I want to see here, and I get there’s some absurdity in looking for this in a game primarily about fighting and creative dismemberment, but I still think it’s valid to explore these decisions about the setting.

i think that'd dilute the tarkatans. they have their thing whereas whatever ferra/torr is seems to be another race or species all together. to me i always picture outland as a gigantic wasteland with the remnants of the species like mentioned upthread. since off of earth it seems portals and magic are very common, i envision they are constantly traveling to/from other worlds or desperately trying to leave.

i don't know how there is anyone left there. shao kahn and the various badguys seemed super into brutally slaughtering everyone all the time or doing other mean and nasty things ala shang tsung's experiments. i'd venture to guess that trial and error led to significant population decline.
    reVerse wrote: »
    I just want some new characters. MK has always been good about that, with roughly one third of every game's cast being brand new. The only real outliers were Armageddon and 9, but that's because one was an end of an era kind of thing and the other one was basically a reboot in the form of retelling the tale of the first three games.

Hopefully timey-wimey storyline doesn't make them go too crazy on old characters, although I would be fine if "new character" slots were taken up by some of the lamer old characters re-imagined into something cool.

i think the reimagining is likely to happen and i'd personally have faith in them to do it right the 2nd time around. the 10,000 ft view of nearly every MK kharacter ever is pretty cool (of course there are exceptions) but sometimes they fall off in the specifics. i think the team is aware of that now

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Talking about the lore and races of outworld really makes me miss the game where you ran around visiting the 7 realms. And you find dead Liu -Kang or something at a specific time at a specific hut? Think it was the one that introduce Bo-Rai-Cho or whoever. Loved the sense of scale of the different worlds, and everything felt so big. Loved that game and would love another free roaming game like that.

That was the Konquest mode from Deception, where you played as Shujinko.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    That was the Konquest mode from Deception, where you played as Shujinko.

I think that was my favorite MK because of Konquest mode.

Deception unfortunately introduced the super boring Order/Chaos realm stuff (Havik was alright and that "stab you with your ribs" fatality from.. Dairou? was great, but that's it). Also Kobra and Kira, who I feel can be filed with Hsu Hao, Jarek and Kai in the "Underwhelming characters spun off from other, more interesting characters"

Deception unfortunately introduced the super boring Order/Chaos realm stuff (Havik was alright and that "stab you with your ribs" fatality from.. Dairou? was great, but that's it). Also Kobra and Kira, who I feel can be filed with Hsu Hao, Jarek and Kai in the "Underwhelming characters spun off from other, more interesting characters"

Yeah. Deception was sort of Mortal Kombat’s Advanced Dungeon and Dragons 2nd Edition Phase. For fuck’s sake, they threw in an undead chaotic evil cleric.

Some of the concepts were fine. The order realm dude for example siding with shao kahn because despite being a brutal tyrant he was lawful evil enough to satisfy orderrealm

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    A brand new Kombat Kast starting.

edit: Jade.

reVerse on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, I've always liked Jade and she looks really fun in this one. Curious to see what her non-revenant skins are going to look like, as well.

Goro’s corpse on the throne in the back is pretty dope.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Another eyeball fatality.

Re: How is anything left in Outworld?

Before MK9, my best guess is that as Shao Khan conquered worlds and merged everything to Outworld, a lot of races probably just figured siding with Shao Khan meant they get to keep living. Makes you wonder what kind of Elder Gods were representing those worlds when they lost the 10 tournaments of annual kombat. Is that even still a rule anymore? Feels like they made a big deal of that for MK1/the movie, and then hand-waved it all afterwards.

Anyway, right up until Earth, when Raiden was like, "Yo, you human peeps need to step up your game. Shang Tsung is going to win and your world is going to shit if you lose this, the 10th round of this mystical tournament that you knew nothing about up until now. And if he wins, your world is doooooomed!"

And humans were all, "We demand our freedom!" and won the tournament. So Shao Khan wanted revenge and that's why there's this big war now.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Jade revenant is eh, I just find the revenant look overall meh, however her armour and normal human look is brilliant. Her finishing blow is also a bit eh, but that fatality was great

edited February 2019
    Re: How is anything left in Outworld?

Before MK9, my best guess is that as Shao Khan conquered worlds and merged everything to Outworld, a lot of races probably just figured siding with Shao Khan meant they get to keep living. Makes you wonder what kind of Elder Gods were representing those worlds when they lost the 10 tournaments of annual kombat. Is that even still a rule anymore? Feels like they made a big deal of that for MK1/the movie, and then hand-waved it all afterwards.

Anyway, right up until Earth, when Raiden was like, "Yo, you human peeps need to step up your game. Shang Tsung is going to win and your world is going to shit if you lose this, the 10th round of this mystical tournament that you knew nothing about up until now. And if he wins, your world is doooooomed!"

And humans were all, "We demand our freedom!" and won the tournament. So Shao Khan wanted revenge and that's why there's this big war now.

Off the top of my head (It's been awhile since I've looked at this stuff in detail)

MK1 - The was the standard "Tournament every 50 years, lose 10 in a row and Outworld gets your territory"

MK2 - I think, origiinally, this was just Shao Kahn going "I challenge you all to a new tournament!" and everyone either going "Sure!" or "You killed my friends, you asshole!" Elder Gods wouldn't have gotten involved because there wasn't really any stakes.

MK3 - So, originally IIRC, MK3 is precipitated (or retconned?) to be that, years and years ago, Shao Kahn gave Sindel's soul to Shinnok and Quan Chi to "taint with evil" so when ressurected, she would be his bride. He had her ressurected on Earth, which apparently gave him authority to flat out take over the Earth to claim her, with the Elder Gods being unable to intervene. I think they also retcon MK2 into being a distraction to prevent Earthrealm from knowing about his plan until it was too late.

MK4 - This was just flat out the Netherrealm invading Edenia. I think because Shinnok is also an Elder God, they can't intervene. Or maybe it was the amulet.

Deadly Alliance - I think the prevailing theory is that MK:DA isn't actually a tournment (there's a tournament mentioned in Le Mei's backstory, but that's it). It was just two assholes being assholes and the good guys trying to stop them, so no reason for the Elder Gods to get involved.

Deception - Also not a tournament, so the Elder Gods hands were tied again. Though, IIRC, they turned Scorpion into their champion and sent his ass to try and fix things. This was mainly Onaga trying to use Shinnok's amulet and the Komidogu to merge the realms in a way that bypassed the Elder Gods entirely. I might be mistaken though.

Armageddon - This was literally the Elder Gods going, a long time ago, "There are going to be too many fucking Mortal Kombat characters, so let's have a big brawl over essentially a magic lamp, so that they thin each other out a bit."

MK9 - Apparently Shao Kahn won that brawl. Whoops. Anyway, here they retcon a few things.
    1. MK2 is now a new agreement: "All or nothing" if Earthrealm wins this time, Kahn is forever barred from taking over Earthrealm.
    2. The stuff with Kahn cheating to get around the rules was replaced with Kahn just ignoring the rules. Sindel is now a superweapon instead of a cheat code. Elder Gods (finally) intervene when Kahn wins.
    MKX - Just a bunch of assholes fighting each other again, IIRC. Also Shinnok.

Undead Scottsman on
    It’s kind of great (and hilarious) that apparently the Elder Gods really only care if there’s a tournament being used as a framework for your Evil Plans.

Like in Deadly Alliance, Quan Chi and Shang Tsung had Shinnok’s amulet, killed Shao Kahn and tore open a portal to use the souls of the dead as a resource, and looted the Dragon King’s tomb to raise an immortal undead army. Elder Gods were a-okay with that. For whatever reason.

It does bum me out that the whole Edenia thing never really got a lot of focus. Like, maybe it was touched on in MK4 but that game was hardly about a setting of any kind. I’d like to see them do something with all that. In my heart of hearts I still imagine an MK3 where Shao Kahn decided to invade Edenia instead and the earth warriors came over to defend another realm, rather than having MK3 be sort of all about Ghostbusters New York at Night.

?
    Edenia was a part of Outand during MK1-3, wasn't it?

?

Oh right that was kind of tied into Kitana’s original storyline.

Still, we never saw whatever Edenia might be like. Pre-Outworld, or whatever

?

It was the setting of MK4 and one of the realms in Deception's conquest mode.

?

It was the setting of MK4 and one of the realms in Deception's conquest mode.

I’m remembering Konquest mode having it now. MK4’s description is...chronologically confusing. I’ll leave it be.

MK4 was great because it brought back Johnny Cage, the true hero of humanity.

But I was also a Quan Chi main for that game, because the Leg Rip Beatdown fatality never stopped making me laugh, and I could copy my opponent's fatailty if I wanted to.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    IMO the best fatalities are the ones that make me laugh a bit, like Cassie’s selfie one.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    ?

Your write up of the storylines earlier this page was epic, but I have to be a pedantic ass here.

Outworld is Mortal Kombat, Outland is the portal covered asshole of what's left of Draenor in Warcraft.

I normally don't correct like that, but my ability to continue to wear my OG "I Survived Barrens Chat!" shirt may be at stake.

As for MK11, me like what I'm seeing so far. While Tekken is typically my fighting game jam, the story modes in MK9, MKX, and both Injustices have been fun as hell and worth the price of admission for them alone.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    ?

Your write up of the storylines earlier this page was epic, but I have to be a pedantic ass here.

Outworld is Mortal Kombat, Outland is the portal covered asshole of what's left of Draenor in Warcraft.

I normally don't correct like that, but my ability to continue to wear my OG "I Survived Barrens Chat!" shirt may be at stake.

As for MK11, me like what I'm seeing so far. While Tekken is typically my fighting game jam, the story modes in MK9, MKX, and both Injustices have been fun as hell and worth the price of admission for them alone.

Pretty sure it's Outland.

Yup.

https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Outland

It's totally Outland, and that's not a false URL. :)

Seriously though, I'm guessing the fact that "outland" is a real word is tripping me up.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    ?

Pretty sure it's Outland.

Yup.

https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Outland

It's totally Outland, and that's not a false URL. :)

Seriously though, I'm guessing the fact that "outland" is a real word is tripping me up.

It's no big deal, I was only funning :biggrin:

I've been a recovering WoW raider/addict for a decade, so to this day I could give you a verbal tour of Outland and its environs wholly from memory.

Outworld and all the falderal around the Kombatverse, not so much.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    MK4 was great because it brought back Johnny Cage, the true hero of humanity.

But I was also a Quan Chi main for that game, because the Leg Rip Beatdown fatality never stopped making me laugh, and I could copy my opponent's fatailty if I wanted to.

Wasn't Cage in the master version of three?

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    No no, not Jade. Kitana, you jerks!

Grumble grumble