As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokecrawl 2019

smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
edited March 2019 in PAX East
Pokécrawl

tocynnj2lh9w.png

2019 is the 10th anniversary of the Pokecrawl! The crawl will take place Thursday March 28, 2019.

Facebook Event

This event is strictly 21+.

What is this?
The Pokécrawl is a non-profit Pokémon themed bar crawl dedicated to raising money for Child's Play Charity. The gist of it is, we’ll guide you around Boston's Faneuil Hall area to various bars where you’ll meet fellow PAX attendees and be tasked with various drinking challenges. Along they way we’ll also be collecting donations for sick children. Last year we raised $2,502.70 for Child’s Play!

It's a great way to get a few drinks, meet fellow PAXers and make a few friends. Check-in starts at 7:00 at the first bar. This year, all teams will be starting at Howl at the Moon! Every hour after that, you will rotate to another bar to meet a new team and challenge them using your elite drinking skills. All the bars are within walking distance of each other.

How to Participate
The date and time that registration will open is Monday March 11th at Noon EST. You can register through Eventbrite.

How Do I Win?
There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But as we are raising money for Child's Play, the team that raises the most cash will be declared the Pokécrawl Champions giving them full bragging rights until next year.

Keep in mind that you don’t have to participate in all of the challenges. For those of you who do manage to finish all the challenges, there will be a button confirming the fact that you have indeed "drank 'em all".

Teams
Fire Facebook Group
Electric Facebook Group
Water Facebook Group
Grass Facebook Group

The Challenges
Bar #1: Find a challenger from another team to pair up with, buy them your favorite drink. Take a sip for every year you’ve attended the crawl, including this one. *Make sure to have a drink left for group cheers before heading out!
Bar #2: “Let’s Battle!” Buy your least favorite shot. You and your challenger ‘rock, paper, sissors’ and the loser after three rounds takes both shots.
Bar #3: “I choose you!” Buy a drink that best represents your favorite pokemon. Give it to your challenger, have them guess which pokemon it is. *Bonus: Can’t guess? Chug a glass of water! HYDRATE!
Bar #4: “A wild DRINK appears!” Pair off with a partner and secretly choose rum, tequila, or vodka. If your partner correctly guesses which you're thinking of they can take their choice of shot. If they guess incorrectly you choose which of the three they must drink. Reverse roles and repeat.
Bar #5: “Trainer Appreciation” You made it to the end of your journey, congrats! Find trainer that is the same type as you but on the other team. Buy them your favorite drink, and they buy you theirs.
DRANK ‘EM ALL: Congrats, you came, you saw, you took on all the challenges and came out somewhat unscathed. Find a buddy, buy each other a shot. You drank ‘em all!

Bar Schedule
6fj9d6uljoze.jpg

Tips & Tricks
Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home. Don't get punched in the face. This is Boston, after all, and these days they are quick to kick anyone out of the bar.
Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk, so don't be that guy. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy, you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.
Leave No Trainer Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Brock, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not on this night, at least.
Respect the Professors & Assists: We’re not just there to hand out signatures and herd you around. We're doing our best to make sure everyone's having a good time and that things run safe and smoothly. If they're asking you to stop being a dick or trying to help you get home safely, pay attention.
Eat before you come to the crawl: Drinking on an empty stomach is a sure fire way to end up black out drunk and feeling like death in the morning. Ordering food while on the crawl is a terrible idea. I've seen people do it and they're pretty much always left behind still waiting for it.
Drink water: Drinking water as you go is the best way to ensure you have a fun night, and an at least ok morning.
Bring cash: This is, after all, a charity bar crawl! Make sure you have some extra money for whatever goodies your professor may have for sale or auction. Also, using cash only makes the bartenders’ lives easier because it's faster than having to run a debit or credit card, and we need to keep the lines moving.
Bring a Valid ID: Massachusetts bars are strict, make sure your license or passport is not expired and be prepared to show a second form of ID (such as a credit card with your name on it) if your ID is out of state.

Volunteering
We're looking for volunteers to help us ensure everything goes smoothly - it mostly requires checking trainers in at the first bar, herding trainers from one bar to the next, and making sure we don't lose anyone along the way. It's a fun job, but we prefer our volunteers to be mostly sober. Sober-ish. More sober than the trainers. This is a great option for those that don’t feel like waking up hungover on Friday, but still like the energy and social spirit of the crawl. We have a few volunteer sports left, please PM for more info and jump on our Pokécrawl Planning Discord server.

Reminders:
Attendees are limited to registering for 2 tickets (Yourself + 1) Duplicate/multiple orders or orders containing more than one ticket type, and otherwise suspicious orders will be cancelled on March 24. If you have an issue with registration, please contact us immediately.
You MUST provide your full name during the registration process.
You MUST be over the age of 21. No minors allowed. This is a bar crawl, please don't bring children.
If you harass people on the PAX forums. Facebook pages, or basically anywhere, you will be removed from the crawl, and your ticket will go back into the pool.
Please do not encourage your unregistered friends to come to the crawl with you. We love that word has spread about the crawl, and it has gotten overwhelmingly popular over the past few years. We've capped registration to 50 people per team to try and make this as easy on our volunteers and the bars as possible. You MUST have a print out of your confirmation email or have it available on your smartphone.
We will be collecting donations for our chosen charity, Child's Play, when you check in. We are asking for at least $10 to cover any buttons you receive/win. We'd love for you to give more after all, it is for a good cause.

smorggie on

• Options
    Fail.SessionFail.Session Registered User regular
    Hypeeeee. You can certainly count me in again #TeamYellow #TeamInstinct

• Options
    ItaraItara Registered User regular
    My poke'senses were tingling! I was heating up my lunch and thought "oh i should see if there is info about the pokecrawl up yet... and I come, and there it is!

I'm so excited! I didn't think I was going to be able to do it this year, but the stars aligned!!!!

• Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    Let's goooo

f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
    2 of my friends are turning 21 during PAX and attending this year. This will be perfect for them.

• Options
    RappakRappak Registered User regular
    Professor for team red charmander here! I'll so excited for this year! But we are behind the other teams in raising money! Can i count on you all to beat the other teams? I challenge you to do so for the children! Still in planning stages for stuff but if there's anything you want to see, please let me know. All of this is for you all and the children! Let's break 500!

• Options
    We have 14 volunteer slots available!
    Two teams don't have any volunteers yet, so if you'd like to be a professor and have your friends staff your team, this is a perfect opportunity!
    Basically what you need to do is
    • Check in your team members at the first bar. This is 80% of the "work"
    • Keep track of time and lead your team from one bar to the next
    • Collect donations for Child's Play and turn the money in at the end of the night
    And the great news is if you are a volunteer, you don't have to stress about trying to get Pokecrawl tickets!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Pokecrawl Tickets will be released on Eventbrite March 11 at Noon EST (9am PST). We will be posting a link to the Eventbrite website soon. So set a reminder in your phone and don't forget to go to Evenbrite 3/11 at Noon to grab your tickets!
    Remember, even though tickets are free, there is a limit of 2 tickets per person. Choose your team wisely! Folks that grab more than 2 tickets will have their orders deleted and their tickets released back into the pool.

Also, we are still looking for a couple more volunteers! The blue team in particular needs some more help!! Please DM me if you are interested in volunteering.

smorggie on
  • Options
    charfoxcharfox Dot Matrix with Sound Chicago, ILRegistered User new member
    This is hands down one of my favorite events at every PAX. Looking forward to it! :biggrin:

0lzsp31hztiv.png
  • Options
    We are very excited to announce that in celebration of the Pokecrawl's 10th Anniversary, we will be having every single team start at the same bar, Howl at the Moon!

• Options
    AlhanalemAlhanalem Registered User regular
    could you explain to someone on the outside what the pokecrawl has to do with pokemon beyond the name?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2019
    Alhanalem wrote: »
    could you explain to someone on the outside what the pokecrawl has to do with pokemon beyond the name?
    this is a pokemon themed barcrawl. the teams are pokemon themed, and there will likely be pokemon themed drinking challenges. The goal is to raise money for Child's Play Charity.
    Generally, many people cosplay as various pokemon or pokemon characters. PAX West has one of these that is Harry Potter themed, called the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament. PAX South has A Shot of Ice and FIre, a Game of Thrones themed crawl. Again, goal is to raise money for the charity, people dress up, have fun, etc.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Here is the Eventbrite link, go here to get tickets at noon tomorrow (Monday 3/11). Note that the page will be "unavailable" until the tickets go live. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pokecrawl-2019-episode-10-tickets-58532370897

• Options
    RappakRappak Registered User regular
    Hi Everyone! I forgot that we were able to change our pokemon so I'm actually Team Arcanine. Sorry for those that were looking for me to be their professor!

• Options
    edited March 2019
    There are still some tickets left, grab em while you can!

smorggie on
  • Options
    DaeDrougDaeDroug Registered User new member
    I hope I can make it this year but having this on Thursday instead of it being before PAX like it has been in the past makes it rough in scheduling around other things going on that weekend.

• Options
    For people that are "maybe" going, I would suggest grabbing a ticket now while you can. However, if you do decide that you won't be going, we ask that you please please kindly go on Eventbrite and give up your ticket, that way it will be released back in the pool and give someone else the opportunity to go.

• Options
    Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
    :( Sold out

• Options
    mikalwaymikalway Registered User new member
    Hello!

There were only two remaining tickets left when I grabbed em (one for Team Wartortle and one for Team Bulbasaur), but the tickets are for me and my +1 (ideally we're on the same team). If any ticket holders on Wartortle or Bulbasaur would be willing to swap, I would be forever grateful. Thanks!

• Options
    OH NO did you miss out on Pokecrawl tickets? Don't worry, there's hope!
    We are still looking for 2 more volunteers to help with the crawl, one on a yellow team and one on a blue team, and volunteers don't need a ticket! Send me a message to learn more about volunteering.
    Additionally, we restrict the number of tickets attendee's are allowed to grab to 2 tickets per person. We will be going through and deleting orders that grabbed more than 2 tickets. These tickets will be released back into the pool on Sunday March 24, so keep an eye out!

• Options
    Missed out on Pokecrawl tickets? We just added a waitlist to our Eventbrite page so you can sign up to be notified if more tickets become available.
    We have also asked people that have tickets and know they won't be able to use them to release those tickets back into the pool.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pokecrawl-2019-episode-10-tickets-58532370897

• Options
    The bar schedule is here!
    dhqn6g0abguc.jpg

• Options
    Thanks to everyone who donated to Child's Play Charity and helped make the 10th Pokecrawl a success! Here is how much money each team raised:

8. Oddish - $349
    7. Pikachu - $414
    6. Raichu - $447
    5. Wartortle - $486
    4. Arcanine - $517
    3. Charmander - $636
    And Bulbasaur and Squirtle battled it out for first place and had a REALLY close call, but ultimately there had to be a winner this year.
    2. Bulbasaur - $693
    1. Squirtle - $700

These are just the numbers up until the end of the crawl, some awesome folks were still selling leftover stuff over the weekend and we pulled in an extra $200 by days end Sunday!

So the total is $4424 for the kids!