As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    A livery like the cg overlay in the preview pic would be cool.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The new Williams looks pretty good, although the little video clip makes it hard to really see it well

White w/ a frost blue airbrushed trim, oh and a title sponsor.

The nicest looking 20th place car in years!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Has anyone watched the races through formula1.com last year? I am in Germany and don't have any of the other channels that carry the race (Sky and RTL in Germany), so I am looking into maybe doing this for the 2019 season.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the races through formula1.com last year? I am in Germany and don't have any of the other channels that carry the race (Sky and RTL in Germany), so I am looking into maybe doing this for the 2019 season.

I watched the first few races with the F1TV subscription to check it out last year and it was quite pleasant. If I didn’t get the races on my regular television channels then I’d definitely sub to it for the full season. I’m in USA though, so not sure if the service is different in Germany.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Oof, that Williams livery, that's a no from me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular

Can't you somehow get Austrian TV in Germany? It's on ORF1 for free, that's the only tolerable way to watch F1 in Switzerland because the Swiss commentary person is just awful.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Oof, that Williams livery, that's a no from me.

It's been bugging me all evening and I finally worked out that it reminds me of own-brand toothpaste.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    There's a disturbing amount of dodgy business involved in F1 sponsors this year. We have the pretty blatant tobacco advertising on Ferrari (see: "mission winnow"), a vapourware energy drink that seemingly isn't sold anywhere and a logo markedly similar to a bike company and now a company that makes phones that I've never heard of (and aren't yet released?) but apparently have enough money for massive sponsorship deals.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That Rich Energy drink is on Amazon.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    yotes wrote: »

Can't you somehow get Austrian TV in Germany? It's on ORF1 for free, that's the only tolerable way to watch F1 in Switzerland because the Swiss commentary person is just awful.

I don't have access to regular German TV at all (by choice as 95% on it is crap), so I don't have access to Austrian TV either :). I haven't watched F1 regularly in about 10 years, ever since I got rid of TV. But from the mid-90s to the late 00s I have watched basically every race.

So I might give F1.com a shot this year. Its just 65€ for the whole season - as long as I get that streamed to my TV set. I also want to watch a few other series during the year. Some IMSA races, some GT3, maybe even NASCAR. I will even try and attend some stuff live this year, as 5 courses (Spa, Nürburgring, Hockenheim, Zandvoort, Zolder) are an easy driving distance from my home. There are number of races besides Formula 1, especially the historic races are of interest.

And that Renault looks fantastic.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options

Certainly the best livery of these three so far.

• Options
    definitely the first completely normal looking car

well, i guess the torro rosso is too, but in so much as it is totally identical to last year

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    yotes wrote: »

I don't have access to regular German TV at all (by choice as 95% on it is crap), so I don't have access to Austrian TV either :). I haven't watched F1 regularly in about 10 years, ever since I got rid of TV. But from the mid-90s to the late 00s I have watched basically every race.

So I might give F1.com a shot this year. Its just 65€ for the whole season - as long as I get that streamed to my TV set. I also want to watch a few other series during the year. Some IMSA races, some GT3, maybe even NASCAR. I will even try and attend some stuff live this year, as 5 courses (Spa, Nürburgring, Hockenheim, Zandvoort, Zolder) are an easy driving distance from my home. There are number of races besides Formula 1, especially the historic races are of interest.

And that Renault looks fantastic.

On roku IMSA has their own app that you can stream all of their sponsored races from the day after the event. Not sure about live streaming though. I imagine they have it for other devices, but I'm not sure if they would work in germany.

Speaking of NASCAR, Daytona 500 is this Sunday.

Veevee on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    well, i guess the torro rosso is too, but in so much as it is totally identical to last year

I mean, when you've hit upon a good look, just stick with it.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

Certainly the best livery of these three so far.

Similar to last year's. But that was already good. I like how from the front it's a yellow car, and from the side it's black. Uses the geometry of the car well.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Looking through the Twitter comments we can expect Merc to reveal their car tomorrow

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tomorrow we have Mercedes, Red Bull and Racing Point (ex Force India) scheduled

times are all a bit wonky, but this timetable is what I've been following.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I guess Sauber is officially Alfa Romeo now? I must've missed that.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    That Rich Energy drink is on Amazon.

Ah Amazon, where I go to buy all my energy drinks! Seriously though, I'm not aware of it actually being sold anywhere physical. The top amazon review is gold though:

This promised so much - I thought Rich Energy would give me enough power that I could travel back to India, drive around in a fancy Mercedes powered car and beat Red Bull. Sadly, Rich Energy was full of artificial ingredients that left a bad taste in my mouth - which a cursory look at the details would have told me in advance. Instead we were headed straight to the scene of the accident. Fortunately I have many BWT Vida Water Filter Jug, White, 2.6 Litre to remove the bad taste.

Left by a guy called Vijay...

• Options
    I guess Sauber is officially Alfa Romeo now? I must've missed that.

I think that was made official pretty recently, only a couple of weeks at most, so easy to miss in the shuffle.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Here's Red Bull, a pretty big departure, but may end up being another testing livery after being burned by that cool black and white one last year

And the Merc which is a variation on last year but eh, if it ain't broke

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Ok, that RedBull will take some getting used to.

• Options
    Dazzle camouflage, so you don't know in which direction it is going.

• Options

That's almost exactly what last year's looked like, if memory serves.

• Options

That's almost exactly what last year's looked like, if memory serves.

Yeah it was nuts

2544D8A600000578-0-image-m-7_1422885741873.jpg

and I thought it was a real shame it was temporary

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    That's the one. It's glorious.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Ok, that RedBull will take some getting used to.

It's a one off.

• Options
    Not too sure about the navy blue bit but hey otherwise I like this one

SportPesa looks suspiciously like an online bookies to me

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I am positive that blue bit will look better in motion which will make the car stand out in a good way.

That red bull livery is bad. Not even so bad its good, it's just bad. Last years was an incredible razzle dazzle livery. This is not and I am glad most people agree its just a one off. That has "Place holder livery rushed into production" all over it.

I like the merc livery. The fade from silver to black with the blue stripe along the side is beautiful combo.

• Options
    Updated OP with 2019 teams and drivers info, and the 2019 calendar. 2019 car pics will have to come later when there's better ones out there. Let me know if I got anything wrong!

• Options
    force india: good, solid

reb bull: weird but i can get used to it. i think my only issue here is that without the yellow it's too similar to a torro rosso

mercedes: classy and cool, but also who cares i never want to see this goddamn car again

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Only part of the Racing Point car I don't like is the silver/gray bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McLaren is out and I really like the sort of pixel shatter/fade on the engine cover

also noticed something that's also on the Renault at least that I missed due to their paintjob, there's a sort of winglet arrangement just above the side air intakes. I can't really see a similar structure on the Red Bull or the Merc, but there's a suggestion of it on the Racing Point car as well. Interesting

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    i dont know if it's deception tactics or what, but the new Alfa has a very unusual front wing in it's shakedown.... it's basically missing 25% of it's wing, a huge gap leading directly to the tire

someone trying something different in F1??? or they simply forgot the real wing at the shop

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i dont know if it's deception tactics or what, but the new Alfa has a very unusual front wing in it's shakedown.... it's basically missing 25% of it's wing, a huge gap leading directly to the tire

someone trying something different in F1??? or they simply forgot the real wing at the shop

Here's pics, filched from Autosport:

i2ypkiudcawi.jpg
    rlixq3ybg63k.jpg

That is definitely unusual.

That's apparently just a testing livery too, by the way. Kimi at the wheel.

Jazz on
  • Options
    It is very strange indeed

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    So, Ferrari reveal tomorrow, Alfa on Monday. Bold prediction... The Ferrari will be very red.

So, in general, I dig the Toro Rosso the most so far. I like the Haas too, but Renault does it better.

• Options
    And here it is:

I like it, and I particularly like the use of black as the accent colour.

This discussion has been closed.