As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Was Mulan a real person or the Chinese equivalent of a fairy tale?

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Aladdin in the vein of Maleficient would be a movie I'd want to see: Jafar.

Hell, you can do this with any Disney film and it'd be interesting. Scar, Gaston, Taurus Bulba.

Well, the last one is a stretch. (And he simply died.)

You can't really do Frolo though unless you're trying to do a piece on angry Incels
    "Why doesn't see how nice a guy I am? She should be with me.
    Well if she doesn't want to, she's a whore, fuck her, she should die"

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Most likely just the latter. It's like.... 1500 years old or something like that? So it's hard to say 100% definitively, but probably just a folk legend.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Seal wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    I was just wondering how many Disney movies are based on actual historical people and events.

The only one I could think of was Pocahontas. Which is kinda what makes its Disney-fication so cringe-worthy.

I mean they butchered the shit out of Hercules as well, but at least Hercules was never an actual person.
    Maybe there was a dude named Hercules who was real strong and got the ball rolling?

The Dwayne Johnson Hercules movie was about this. His Hercules was a tough dude, but he also had a small band of mercenaries with him that would aid him discretely and let him take all the credit as long as they got paid.

The Hydra was also actually just a gang of dudes with snake masks who would emerge from the water to ambush people.

Hexmage-PA on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I was just wondering how many Disney movies are based on actual historical people and events.

The only one I could think of was Pocahontas. Which is kinda what makes its Disney-fication so cringe-worthy.

I mean they butchered the shit out of Hercules as well, but at least Hercules was never an actual person.
    Maybe there was a dude named Hercules who was real strong and got the ball rolling?

The Dwayne Johnson Hercules movie was about this. His Hercules was a tough dude, but he also had a small band of mercenaries with him that would aid him discretely and let him take all the credit as long as they got paid.

The Hydra was also actually just a gang of dudes with snake masks who would emerge from the water to ambush people.

Troy was kind of like this too with Achilles, with the heel and everything.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

That was Sisyphus

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

Ooh, I can tackle this one! Mulan was probably not a real person, the story initially comes from a poem in the 6th century, The Ballad of Mulan. In the original version it's an obvious story about filial piety, with a dash of gender equality:

This translation's just off a wiki...
    The sound of one sigh after another,
    As Mulan weaves at the doorway.
    No sound of the loom and shuttle,
    Only that of the girl lamenting.
    Ask her of whom she thinks,
    Ask her for whom she longs.
    "There is no one I think of,
    There is no one I long for.
    Last night I saw the army notice,
    The Khan is calling a great draft –
    A dozen volumes of battle rolls,
    Each one with my father's name.
    My father has no grown-up son,
    And I have no elder brother.
    I'm willing to buy a horse and saddle,
    To go to battle in my father's place."

She buys a fine steed at the east market;
    A saddle and blanket at the west market;
    A bridle at the south market;
    And a long whip at the north market.
    She takes leave of her parents at dawn,
    To camp beside the Yellow River at dusk.
    No sound of her parents hailing their girl,
    Just the rumbling waters of the Yellow River.
    She leaves the Yellow River at dawn,
    To reach the Black Mountains by dusk.
    No sound of her parents hailing their girl,
    Just the cries of barbarian cavalry in the Yan hills.

Ten thousand miles she rode in war,
    Crossing passes and mountains as if on a wing.
    On the northern air comes the sentry's gong,
    Cold light shines on her coat of steel.
    The general dead after a hundred battles,
    The warriors return after ten years.

They return to see the Son of Heaven,
    Who sits in the Hall of Brilliance.
    The rolls of merit spin a dozen times,
    Rewards in the hundreds and thousands.
    The Khan asks her what she desires,
    "I've no need for the post of a gentleman official,
    I ask to borrow a camel fleet of foot,
    To carry me back to my hometown."

Her parents hearing their girl returns,
    Out to the suburbs to welcome her back.
    Elder sister hearing her sister returns,
    Adjusts her rouge by the doorway.
    Little brother hearing his sister returns,
    Sharpens his knife for pigs and lamb.
    "I open my east chamber door,
    And sit on my west chamber bed.
    I take off my battle cloak,
    And put on my old-time clothes.
    I adjust my wispy hair at the window sill,
    And apply my bisque makeup by the mirror.
    I step out to see my comrades-in-arms,
    They are all surprised and astounded:
    'We travelled twelve years together,
    Yet didn't realise Mulan was a lady!'"

The buck bounds here and there,
    Whilst the doe has narrow eyes.
    But when the two rabbits run side by side,
    How can you tell the female from the male?

One of the important parts to remember with the Mulan story at this point is it's sort-of-chinese, but also it's from Northern China which, during this period, is culturally mixing a lot with the northern peoples, and who tended to be much more relaxed about gender roles in general. So it's sort of Chinese, but it's really not from that cultural tradition originally. There's later versions of the story where Mulan dies in the end, which fits Chinese sensibilities a bit better, Mulan sacrifices herself for the sake of filial piety, but of course her transgression means she inevitably ends up dying.

The Mulan story's focus on "even a woman" fighting to repel the invaders gained a lot of cultural cache during the Yuan dynasty (1271–1368), when China was ruled by the mongols. There was a big sense of foreign occupation, especially by the ethnic Chinese intelligentsia, and celebrating Mulan was a good way of subtly encouraging rebellion. After the fall of the Sui and the rise of the Chinese Tang dynasty, versions of Mulan were often updated to her fighting the Mongols literally instead of just subtextually.

Mulan was also popular during the Qing period, and especially during the Communist revolution. The Communists were incredibly egalitarian compared to cultural mores at the time, and Mulan was an iconic figure for female revolutionaries.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I showed my partner the new Aladdin trailer last night. She is unapologetic in her love of all things classic Disney and is 100% the target demo for all of these remakes.
    As an example she has bawled when watching the teasers for both Aladdin and The Lion King. The movies are just so connected with her childhood that they resonate on a deep level for her.

I have never seen anything as funny as the look of abject horror and disgust as soon as the Will Smith Genie popped up. I'm still laughing about it today whenever I think of her face.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think the reason Disney stop doing movies like Maleficent is, sadly, pretty clear. They realize they can make barrels of money just remaking the classic movies, so why try and be original?

wVEsyIc.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I think the reason Disney stop doing movies like Maleficent is, sadly, pretty clear. They realize they can make barrels of money just remaking the classic movies, so why try and be original?

Aren't they doing a second Maleficent?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Aren't they doing a second Maleficent?

News to me...

wVEsyIc.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

*has a daughter that will be turning 4 right before this is out* Oh no my money!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

*has a daughter that will be turning 4 right before this is out* Oh no my money!!!

This made me laugh out loud at my desk. Because it's so true.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, Frozen / Moana / Little Mermaid crossover? :D

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    A trailer that reveals almost nothing about the movie, but will still get my daughter super excited. Nice.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah my daughter is going to love that movie. And I'm okay with going to see it because at least it's an original story and not a remake.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My daughter was just this morning demanding to listen to Frozen soundtrack during breakfast. She must have felt a disturbance in the force or something.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's a good trailer. Surprisingly serious.

urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah my daughter is going to love that movie. And I'm okay with going to see it because at least it's an original story and not a remake.

I'm all in for the sequel! I liked the first myself :D. I also really liked the "training montage" thing at the beginning of the teaser, that was cool.

Steam profile
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Anna grabbing that sword like she gonna dismember some hoes.

Bless your heart.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have no effing clue what's going on in that trailer but it looks serious as all hell, and I'm down for that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    How long until we get a game of thrones monologue edited into that teaser?

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    How long until we get a game of thrones monologue edited into that teaser?

It's autumn the entire time
    clearly
    Winter is Coming

Bless your heart.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    trapped on an island, trying to use her powers to escape, turns to a new source of power to live!

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Didn't she make like an entire ice palace in the first movie?

You'd think she could manage an ice-raft.

She wasn't stuck, she was training montaging.

Steam profile
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What's that? You didn't want a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? LOL fuck u get rekt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WjZIVwx_Fo

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Didn't she make like an entire ice palace in the first movie?

You'd think she could manage an ice-raft.

To be fair, that ice palace was in the peaks of a mountain range in the winter.
    Natural place for stuff to freeze.

On a beach, in autumn? Maybe not so much.

Can hardly wait to hear the ear worm that's going to be driving every parent of a 5-15 year old girl absolutely nuts for the next year or two.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

Fro2en

:twisted:

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I have never laughed so much at a movie as I have at some of the stuff in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I can't say I'm thrilled at trying to top the original, but good luck to them.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

Geth, ban Heatwave

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2019
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I have never laughed so much at a movie as I have at some of the stuff in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I can't say I'm thrilled at trying to top the original, but good luck to them.

I didn't know until just now, but Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is actually a remake of Bedtime Story, starring David Niven (because of course he plays the debonair con man) and Marlon Brando.

Bogart on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Evermourn wrote: »

I didn't know until just now, but Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is actually a remake or Bedtime Story, starring David Niven (because of course he plays the debonair con man) and Marlon Brando.

Wowsers. Mind blown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVrY7a_l2lg

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If you'd have asked me yesterday, I'd have sworn up and down that it was David Niven in the remake as well

I had to Google it to prove myself wrong

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't know how good the movie will be, but I will watch Anne Hathaway do an English accent for as long as possible.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/wka5RovFEo8 Live action trailer for Anthem by the director who did chappie and district 9.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/wka5RovFEo8 Live action trailer for Anthem by the director who did chappie and district 9.

hmm that was unexpected. Very slick, still not going to pull the trigger on the game it until I get more info.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Looks interesting IMO

https://youtu.be/13mhe1xNIAU

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
This discussion has been closed.