As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    mike mearls used the Help action on an alleged rapist and then bonus action disengaged

Tube on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    libel warning libel warning

drivethrurpg removed anything from their library that Zak makes a direct profit from (as far as they have the ability to tell) and will not work with him in the future.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    New Stranger Things themed D&D Starter Set.

m6ty0zz8jvsv.jpg

How much longer until they officially replace the original Demogorgon design with the Stranger Things one for all of D&D?

Hexmage-PA on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

m6ty0zz8jvsv.jpg

How much longer until they officially replace the original Demogorgon design with the Stranger Things one for all of D&D?

The power set isn't even remotely similar. The stranger things demagorgon isn't even a giant ape like monster it's a low to mid level aberration most D&D characters would face roll without much trouble.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sleep wrote: »

m6ty0zz8jvsv.jpg

The power set isn't even remotely similar. The stranger things demagorgon isn't even a giant ape like monster it's a low to mid level aberration most D&D characters would face roll without much trouble.

I mean, I don't actually want them to do that, but look up "demon lords" on Google right now and you'll see the Stranger Things Demogorgon's picture next to the D&D Demogorgon's description.

Hexmage-PA on
    More Zak Smith accusations (potentially NSFW profile) CW for abuse: https://www.facebook.com/VivkaCriesWolf/posts/2478145012257909

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

m6ty0zz8jvsv.jpg

But it's from it's reality not ours
    They don't know how to defeat it or have the skills to do so

Brainleech wrote: »

m6ty0zz8jvsv.jpg

But it's from it's reality not ours
    They don't know how to defeat it or have the skills to do so

That's the funny part, in terms of D&D monsters their demagorgon is pretty weak, but is absolutely terrifying to a group of relative normies.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    More Zak Smith accusations (potentially NSFW profile) CW for abuse: https://www.facebook.com/VivkaCriesWolf/posts/2478145012257909

there's always more and its always worse

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm having a character creation conundrum

I've got a Tabaxi Monk right now, and I love everything about the character side of things

His name is Sailor of Golden Seas, and he's a young Tabaxi who worries that everything cool and interesting has been discovered already

Then, one day, he finds a weird cutlass! It's incredibly fancy, but no one in his settlement can figure out when it came from (which is weird, because as written the Tabaxi are a culture of history nuts more or less), so he decides that he's going to figure it out, because it's something new and potentially interesting! So he's got the Archaeologist background

I'm thinking of making him a Kensei Monk, because I really like the idea of him having a sword that he can kind of take with him as he gains monk levels

But flavor wise I feel like everything else about him is closer to, say, a swashbuckling rogue?

So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, which one is going to be more fun/effective? A Kensei Monk or a Swashbuckler Rogue?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    A swashbuckling rogue is going to be more in line with an action oriented archeologist in the vein of Indiana jones.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm having a character creation conundrum

I've got a Tabaxi Monk right now, and I love everything about the character side of things

His name is Sailor of Golden Seas, and he's a young Tabaxi who worries that everything cool and interesting has been discovered already

Then, one day, he finds a weird cutlass! It's incredibly fancy, but no one in his settlement can figure out when it came from (which is weird, because as written the Tabaxi are a culture of history nuts more or less), so he decides that he's going to figure it out, because it's something new and potentially interesting! So he's got the Archaeologist background

I'm thinking of making him a Kensei Monk, because I really like the idea of him having a sword that he can kind of take with him as he gains monk levels

But flavor wise I feel like everything else about him is closer to, say, a swashbuckling rogue?

So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, which one is going to be more fun/effective? A Kensei Monk or a Swashbuckler Rogue?

What do you want to be able to achieve with/as the character?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I mean, initially my goal was to just make a cool monk, because I've always wanted to do that

But then as the story stuff went on, I ended up with basically Indiana Jones with a cool sword? And on the one hand, I'm way into the Kensei Monk ability to make a bunch of different weapons "monk weapons", but on the other hand I feel like if I gave someone that character description in a vacuum, they would not think that character was a monk! And Swashbuckler Rogue definitely appeals to my interests as well

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

there's always more and its always worse

What a fucking scumbag

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Well, if you're starting past 1st-level, why not something like:

Rogue 1/Monk 1/Rogue X

That way you can get a brief feel for Monk (and grab some additional features) while also committing to Rogue as your primary class?

As far as I know we're starting at 1, but I could definitely go for that kind of path as we play

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

God I fucking hoping not.

The Demogorgon thing was kind of weird for me because like holy shit how high level are their characters

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    If it was any other kind of blade, would you still be thinking about buckling those swashes with it? I haven't played a monk or a rogue of any flavor, so I can't give comparisons on how they play. I know that rogues tend to hit harder than low level demigods if they can get a good sneak attack, and monks can hit a lot but don't tend to hit hard with each individual blow, but beyond that, I don't know much.

If I might offer a suggestion for the background, if you wanted to keep to the Monk path instead of going swashbuckler while not changing too much (and also keeping the weapon): instead of finding a mysterious blade, he is gifted one of the monasteries forgotten treasures (in this case, the cutlass). One of a collection of items that have been in the care of the temple for so long, their provenance has been lost to time and none remain who can accurately tell where they came from.
    As a coming of age rite, the young monks are tasked with selecting one of the forgotten treasures and sent into the world to find the story of the item before returning it to the care of the temple. If that means tracking down where the item came from and determining the history, or creating a new story worthy of the treasure, is a decision left to the monk.
    Once the item is returned, it is marked down in the records of the temple, and the tale attributed to the monk. Until the records are lost and it's forgotten again, when it'll be given to a new monk.

see317 wrote: »
    If it was any other kind of blade, would you still be thinking about buckling those swashes with it? I haven't played a monk or a rogue of any flavor, so I can't give comparisons on how they play. I know that rogues tend to hit harder than low level demigods if they can get a good sneak attack, and monks can hit a lot but don't tend to hit hard with each individual blow, but beyond that, I don't know much.

If I might offer a suggestion for the background, if you wanted to keep to the Monk path instead of going swashbuckler while not changing too much (and also keeping the weapon): instead of finding a mysterious blade, he is gifted one of the monasteries forgotten treasures (in this case, the cutlass). One of a collection of items that have been in the care of the temple for so long, their provenance has been lost to time and none remain who can accurately tell where they came from.
    As a coming of age rite, the young monks are tasked with selecting one of the forgotten treasures and sent into the world to find the story of the item before returning it to the care of the temple. If that means tracking down where the item came from and determining the history, or creating a new story worthy of the treasure, is a decision left to the monk.
    Once the item is returned, it is marked down in the records of the temple, and the tale attributed to the monk. Until the records are lost and it's forgotten again, when it'll be given to a new monk.

1) I think you're probably right in that I wouldn't be thinking of swashbuckler if it wasn't explicitly a pirate sword, but that idea really speaks to me and I'd rather lose the monk than lose it

2) That story idea rules, though even when I was whole hog into the Monk idea (before there was even a sword and it was just going to be an unarmed thing) he wasn't really like, in a monetary; my initial pitch was just "What if Donnie Yen played Indiana Jones." I think now it just might be more accurate and honest for me to make a character who is "What if Errol Flynn played Indiana Jones?"

As far as I know we're starting at 1, but I could definitely go for that kind of path as we play

The one hang-up with this plan is that if you're going to treat a cutlass as a scimitar, you can't use your Monk abilities with it.

But if you flavor it as a short sword? Yeah, you could use a bonus action to throw a punch during combat.

Zonugal wrote: »

The one hang-up with this plan is that if you're going to treat a cutlass as a scimitar, you can't use your Monk abilities with it.

But if you flavor it as a short sword? Yeah, you could use a bonus action to throw a punch during combat.

Oh yeah, the whole thing started with "What's a cool short sword; oh, maybe a cutlass?" so that's been the plan the whole time

If I'm going to be honest, the unarmed bonus action is the first thing I was thinking of when I was trying to decide if this character was a monk; it just doesn't make sense to me for him to hit someone with a sword, and then...punch them? Like, I just can't think of what that looks like

2) That story idea rules, though even when I was whole hog into the Monk idea (before there was even a sword and it was just going to be an unarmed thing) he wasn't really like, in a monetary; my initial pitch was just "What if Donnie Yen played Indiana Jones." I think now it just might be more accurate and honest for me to make a character who is "What if Errol Flynn played Indiana Jones?"

Have you seen Armour of God II: Operation Condor?

Because Jackie Chan basically plays Indiana Jones.

Oh yeah, the whole thing started with "What's a cool short sword; oh, maybe a cutlass?" so that's been the plan the whole time

If I'm going to be honest, the unarmed bonus action is the first thing I was thinking of when I was trying to decide if this character was a monk; it just doesn't make sense to me for him to hit someone with a sword, and then...punch them? Like, I just can't think of what that looks like

Maybe imagine it as your blade misses but in their evasion of it, they open themselves to a punch?

edited February 2019

https://youtu.be/FXqFRxhAbbg

That's more barbarian monk but still, mixing sword blows with punches isn't at all weird

Sleep on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I painted my first mini the other night. They were going to toss out a bunch of extra Manshoon D&D colectible figure boxes we had so i said I'd take one and one of the wargamers took it outside and spray primed it with their stuff they were doing then I spent the shift fighting a far too old painting starter set we have in the cabinet where only half the colors weren't a hard solid and even some of those were maybe questionable. But like, it was super peaceful and enjoyable. and I want to do it more now. even this bad paint job is just so much cooler than a base gray figure.

There was a guy at the comic shop I play D&D at who painted minis, but he moved before I could get all of mine painted by him. I'm thinking about attempting to paint some myself, but I'm afraid of ruining them with a shitty paint job.

It's super easy to strip paint off of models without damaging the model!

My big takeaway so far is how forgiving the process is. The paint is really easy to cover over mistakes. My biggest issue was how quickly they dry up on the paper bowl I was using without an actual wet pallet.

If you have a craft store near you grab some of the little $1 pain pallets. I replace mine maybe twice a year but for a buck or two you get like 3 of them.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Don’t they suggest you reflavor weapons to suit your monk? I think they meant East Asian weapons but I’m gonna do my own thing

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I know it's uses a free hand rules wise, but you could always think of it as a kick

So sword spin into a kick with the momentum

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    The Demogorgon thing was kind of weird for me because like holy shit how high level are their characters

I am so glad I am not alone that I am not alone in asking that

I do a doc on what each player can do with their XP each session in the Vampire game, and this caused me to do some maths on what kind of numbers they're crunching.

So, if one of the players holds out for one more session and buys a fourth dot in Presence, they break the game in fucking half. By taking Awe, they'd have 12 dice on a roll to seduce anyone (as a reference, 10 dice is a 25% chance of a crit). If they use one of their other powers and bite that person first, they add four dots to the roll, so 15 dice on a standard persuasion roll of any kind and 16 on a seduction.

This. Is. Bonkers. I'm honestly not sure I'm reading it right, I've been hurt before.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I do a doc on what each player can do with their XP each session in the Vampire game, and this caused me to do some maths on what kind of numbers they're crunching.

So, if one of the players holds out for one more session and buys a fourth dot in Presence, they break the game in fucking half. By taking Awe, they'd have 12 dice on a roll to seduce anyone (as a reference, 10 dice is a 25% chance of a crit). If they use one of their other powers and bite that person first, they add four dots to the roll, so 15 dice on a standard persuasion roll of any kind and 16 on a seduction.

This. Is. Bonkers. I'm honestly not sure I'm reading it right, I've been hurt before.

Nah I'd bet money that's spot on. Vampire was always a game where social monkeys could very easily charm the literal pants off of combat wombats.

e: wait what happens if it's a bloody success or whatever that rule is??

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »

Nah I'd bet money that's spot on. Vampire was always a game where social monkeys could very easily charm the literal pants off of combat wombats.

e: wait what happens if it's a bloody success or whatever that rule is??

It's up to the storyteller, but basically you would succeed but in a fucking terrifying way. I would say on a Presence roll it would manifest as "you succeed, but they can't stop thinking about you and might do anything they can to track you down in the future and confess their love. Their life falls apart"

It looks like this rests on whether or not Lingering Kiss stacks with other Presence powers. If it does, it's an incredibly good power. If it doesn't, it's an incredibly bad, totally unscaled and useless one because Awe already gives you free dice on persuasion checks.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Jacob Randolph's information makes me wonder when Wizards will be letting Mearls go.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    so i have been watching wizards jump around and throw fire at eachother, and now i have to ask, what game has a lot of good movement rules? cause now my brain is stuck on leaping wizards.

Melding wrote: »
    so i have been watching wizards jump around and throw fire at eachother, and now i have to ask, what game has a lot of good movement rules? cause now my brain is stuck on leaping wizards.

make a harlequins kill team

you aren't a wizard but boy how can you fucking leap and shit

Ardent wrote: »
    Jacob Randolph's information makes me wonder when Wizards will be letting Mearls go.

I don't see any strong argument for why they couldn't throw him out.

Ardent wrote: »

I don't see any strong argument for why they couldn't throw him out.

if he has a standard employment contract, then it likely contains and ethics clause, which would make it real easy to find grounds to can him

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    a dude who was part of wotc's online support team at the time had some words about it

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682