As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm really excited for How to Train Your Dragon 3.

I love the first one, thought the 2nd one went in an interesting direction and it looks like the 3rd one is really intent on closing off the story, which would be nice.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Well, this was probably inevitable -- Warner Bros. is developing a Funko Pop movie.

On the one hand, eeeehhhrrrrrrgggghhh Funko. So tired of these things. On the other:
    Plot details are scarce, but the Funko! movie will reportedly center around Wonder Woman, the Care Bears, Hellboy, Deadpool, Hello Kitty, Harley Quinn, Darth Vader, and My Little Pony.

Which would be the first time Marvel and DC have played together on film. Though the modern incarnations of Deadpool and Harley are pretty much the same character.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    How will they make the figures look less lifeless.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

They managed a surprising amount of character for the Lego movies.
    Though, I'd be really surprised to learn that there's enough fandom around Funko Pop to inspire that kind of effort here, as opposed to it being a cynical cash grab based on a cynical cash grab.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    How long until there's just a big Hasbro Toys film?

...by Michael Bay.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

They managed a surprising amount of character for the Lego movies.

You'd be surprised -- modern Lego figures are very expressive. Meanwhile 99 percent of Funkos have the same blank expression.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If they have the brass balls to make the movie rated R and put that version of Deadpool in, I'd be in the theater day 1.

But it won't. And it'll just be yet another "Ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny" type of hodgepodge. Which I can't believe I'm going to say, but is kind of played out by now.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

...by Michael Bay.

the Little Pet-shop Cosmic Pounce Movie by Micheal Bay. Rated R.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

...by Michael Bay.

They don't seem to like him anymore.( Or ever if you had to try and make thise things into toys)

Fun fact - He gets money for any movie original design used as merch and that merch barely sells.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    So another unfortunate story in the world of animation. Vic Mignogna has been pulled from RWBY amid a growing list of allegations concerning his behavior with his fanbase. Now anyone who has watched Vic at conventions knows he tends to go a little too far with teenagers who are fans of his voice work or songs, especially since the dude is in his mid-50's at this point. I'm saddened by this but not surprised. Plenty of VAs have fun with a fanbase that love their voice, but Vic seems to have exploited it a little too much over the years.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    So another unfortunate story in the world of animation. Vic Mignogna has been pulled from RWBY amid a growing list of allegations concerning his behavior with his fanbase. Now anyone who has watched Vic at conventions knows he tends to go a little too far with teenagers who are fans of his voice work or songs, especially since the dude is in his mid-50's at this point. I'm saddened by this but not surprised. Plenty of VAs have fun with a fanbase that love their voice, but Vic seems to have exploited it a little too much over the years.

After the FMA dub's success Vic got put on a pedestal, which both facilitated his predation as well as the protection he had from it causing any consequences until now. Rumors of him being a total creep have definitely been floating around since that timeframe.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I don't really like the new Young Justice. Like, I'm happy to see everyone again but its not as gripping as the first two seasons. The new kids seem more flatter than the original team and with less personality. Geoforce is just straight-up boring.

I don't know how they managed to make the exiled mutant prince of two assassinated monarchs less interesting than the six week old clone of Superman but they succeeded against all odds. Now Cyborg is encroaching on his always angry schtick and its not working for me.

Rewatching the older seasons only made me dislike the newer season more. Like nothing in this season has resonated with me as
    Kaldur'ahm realizing that becoming Aqualad meant that he missed out on being with Tulla.
    It has only doubly resonated with me now that I'm an actual adult and have had to suffer that opportunity cost in real life. I hope it improves.

LoisLane on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Justice League vs. The Fatal Five

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hj-oR8XirE

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    It is funny they made that Superman vs Garth Ennis Hates Superheroes team movie a while back.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

...dammit, I really liked FMA and the live action Trek stuff he made. Ugh

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

So is this WB basically going "fuck it, fine, we'll stop fighting the fans and start doing the Justice League animated stuff that everybody actually seemed to like"?

• Options
    They've always been doing animated stuff, completely separate from the DCU. The real funny thing is how circular they are with it. They'll make a bunch of movies with them doing different things and using different actors, and then "Ok fuck it, bring in Conroy and crew for this one". Then another set of movies with different actors, then again "Fuck it, bring 'em back".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

So is this WB basically going "fuck it, fine, we'll stop fighting the fans and start doing the Justice League animated stuff that everybody actually seemed to like"?

Finally.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    They've always been doing animated stuff, completely separate from the DCU. The real funny thing is how circular they are with it. They'll make a bunch of movies with them doing different things and using different actors, and then "Ok fuck it, bring in Conroy and crew for this one". Then another set of movies with different actors, then again "Fuck it, bring 'em back".

They have been doing animated stuff but Ninja might have meant specifically DCAU stuff

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, the animated side of DC has seen a moderately steady output, but the quality has been all over the place as it tries like hell to avoid doing anything in the vein of the best material DC has had yet, animated or otherwise.

It's good that they keep trying new/different things, but also not great that much of it is re-re-rehashed material, frequently mediocre or poor, and inexplicably not connected to anything else put out in a similar timeframe. I feel like they're trying to ignore the JL/JLU material, while at the same time just throwing everything at the wall until something big sticks and they can run that situation with a new series.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Well, there was that period they were mandated to do New 52 stuff (which was mostly crap), and the stretch of movies featuring Asshole Robin (largely ruined by the presence of Asshole Robin). I'm glad they seem to be back to doing stuff all over the place, especially if that means sometimes circling back to the traditional animated style.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the animated side of DC has seen a moderately steady output, but the quality has been all over the place as it tries like hell to avoid doing anything in the vein of the best material DC has had yet, animated or otherwise.

It's good that they keep trying new/different things, but also not great that much of it is re-re-rehashed material, frequently mediocre or poor, and inexplicably not connected to anything else put out in a similar timeframe. I feel like they're trying to ignore the JL/JLU material, while at the same time just throwing everything at the wall until something big sticks and they can run that situation with a new series.

Yeah, I keep trying to watch they're direct to DVD movies, but I don't think I've seen a good one basically ever.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh my god Marvel is letting Hulu make an M.O.D.O.K. Animated series. Oh and some other stuff to.
    For Hulu, the four Marvel series arrive as animation has become a powerhouse for the streamer. Series including Adult Swim's Rick and Morty, Comedy Central's South Park, Fox's Family Guy and Bob's Burgers are all among the streamer's most-watched acquired programming. Based on their performance, Hulu has continued to invest in the animated space with Solar Opposites, an original series from Rick and Morty co-creator Justin Roiland.

Descriptions of all four of Hulu's animated Marvel series — and the special — follow:

M.O.D.O.K. centers around an egomaniacal supervillain with a really big head and a really little body, who struggles to maintain control of his evil organization and his demanding family. Writers Jordan Blum and Patton Oswalt will also executive produce.

• Hit-Monkey tells the tale of a wronged Japanese snow monkey, mentored by the ghost of an American assassin, as he cuts a wide swath through the Tokyo underworld in this darkly cinematic and brutally funny revenge saga. Writers Josh Gordon and Will Speck will executive produce.

• Tigra & Dazzler Show is a story about two woke superheroes and best friends, Tigra and Dazzler, as they fight for recognition among powered people who make up the eight million stories in Los Angeles. Writers Erica Rivinoja and Chelsea Handler serve as executive producers.

• Howard the Duck is trapped in a world he never made, but America’s favorite fighting fowl hopes to return home with the help of his unstoppable gal pal Beverly before the evil Dr. Bong can turn him the crispiest dish on the menu. Writers Kevin Smith and Dave Willis will also executive produce.

• The Offenders follows MODOK, Dazzler, Tigra, Hit Monkey and Howard the Duck as they are all forced to team up in order to save the world and certain parts of the universe.

• Options
    I am down for that shit.

Tigra especially because her backstory is so fucked up. Im pretty sure her and Hank Pym have a kittenson

• Options
    Okay. Four of the most bizarre, off-beat corners of the Marvel universe are each getting entire animated series, AND they're going to team up?

Did I get blackout drunk and find a monkey's paw?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Okay. Four of the most bizarre, off-beat corners of the Marvel universe are each getting entire animated series, AND they're going to team up?

Did I get blackout drunk and find a monkey's paw?

Well was your turkey sandwich dry?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Turns out that monkey's paw was attached to Hit Monkey oh noooo

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Just as long it didn't come from Hit Monkey's dog or something.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Please get Bruce Campbell to voice MODOK

• Options
    *spit take*

...apparently this is the week the comics companies go bonkers with crazy animated projects.

• Options
    *spit take*

...apparently this is the week the comics companies go bonkers with crazy animated projects.

It's already a popular comic with a sequel. This was always gonna happen

• Options
    Which Turtles? Semi serious Turtles, or wacky 80's Turtles?

Because I'd be down for either. :)

• Options
    *spit take*

It's already a popular comic with a sequel. This was always gonna happen

It's one thing for two different rights holders to collaborate on a comic, quite another to collaborate on an animated series. Though the popularity probably helped.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Which Turtles? Semi serious Turtles, or wacky 80's Turtles?

Because I'd be down for either. :)

The comics used the IDW version

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Speaking of crazy comic stuff, the Blu-ray release of Into the Spider-Verse is getting a Spider-Ham short. Here's a clip.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They're making a series based on the game Costume Quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH9NpXee958

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Of all the reboots/remakes/pointless sequels these days, this hits me with the most "no sympathy/crash and burn." I don't know if it's James saying he's the GOAT or his entire team hopping career or just another poor attempt to copy Jordan, I am running on pure spite with Space Jam 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, he's taking his talents to Toon Town?

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Of all the reboots/remakes/pointless sequels these days, this hits me with the most "no sympathy/crash and burn." I don't know if it's James saying he's the GOAT or his entire team hopping career or just another poor attempt to copy Jordan, I am running on pure spite with Space Jam 2.

Especially since the first Space Jam was pretty much the Worship Michael Jordan Movie, Also Some Cartoons Around Him I Guess. And Jordan's a much more charismatic person than James.

This discussion has been closed.