As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The result of this [love] thread is pointedly clear

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You're going to need some roses, a hot plate, and a bag of Skittles.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You're going to need some roses, a hot plate, and a bag of Skittles.

I've never seen a story go from 1 to 10 this fast.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ew

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    It seemed like the correct course of action!

probiotics? I guess? It had a picture of a dumbell and some kind of bacteria on the side! Strength! Germs for your gut!

what could be better?!

Flowers, is what the thread has taught me. Eat flowers next time.

that's an old medical secret I learned from my dog. Eat flowers, throw up, you'll feel better

my dog only ate bees

he never learned. He was the best boy

probiotics? I guess? It had a picture of a dumbell and some kind of bacteria on the side! Strength! Germs for your gut!

what could be better?!

that's an old medical secret I learned from my dog. Eat flowers, throw up, you'll feel better

my dog only ate bees

BEES?!

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I mean I guess if you brought me flowers and said "here eat these" and they weren't poisonous flowers, that would be lovely because their purpose in my life is not to watch them die. "Know your audience" is pretty important here. I love the idea of getting flowers, just in practice they make me sad.

I struggle with loving the beauty in impermanence and the absolutely compulsive need to hold onto everything I ever come across because if I don't it will be sad and then I will be sad.

what could be better?!

my dog only ate bees

When he barked did he shoot bees at you?

what could be better?!

my dog only ate bees

BEES?!

yep

every spring he would chase the bees on the huge azalea in the front yard until he caught one. Naturally it would sting his tongue and he would whimper and drool until he felt better and could catch more. Nothing could keep him from them =( He'd make a beeline (heh) the second the door was opened.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    People say dogs are too dumb to learn from their actions but the truth is they're too smart to let fear stop their fun

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Candied rose petals are delicious

I've never had this but I love rose and want one now, how do I make this?

I think you just make a simple syrup and brush the rose petal with it on both sides? Wash your petals or get ones that are food-safe.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My wife actively dislikes cut flowers of any kind. She'll appreciate the sentiment from people who don't know that about her, but if I ever gave her a bouquet as a gift I'd get the ol' "you fucking what mate" look. Gotta know your audience!

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I think you just make a simple syrup and brush the rose petal with it on both sides? Wash your petals or get ones that are food-safe.

Not exactly. You brush the petal with either simple syrup or a wash made from an egg white and then sprinkle sugar on both sides. Superfine sugar would look best.

I'd also try really hard to get pesticide-free or organic rose petals rather than washing non-food-safe petals.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Coat rose petals in egg white (either brush it on or dip them) and then coat them in superfine sugar. Let them dry a bit on a cooling rack or whatever.

Make sure you have food safe roses - most store bought roses, at least in the US, are not. I've had good luck buying organic roses from Whole Foods or similar, or if you have a good florist I'm sure they could lend you a hand with the sourcing.

edited February 2019
    Another fun fact: you can also eat tree bark from several trees in survival situations

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Nope not using egg whites. Most places seem to suggest that's the best way to do it, but then I found this and I think if I ever find them I'm just going to do something like it.
    The following is a recipe from Delights for Ladies by Sir Hugh Platt, published in 1594:

Dip a rose that is neither in the bud, nor over-blowne, in a sirup, consisting of sugar, double refined, and Rose-water boiled to his full height, then open the leaves one by one with a fine smooth bodkin either of bone or wood; and presently if it be a hot sunny day, and whilest the sunne is in some good height, lay them on papers in the sunne, or else dry them with some gentle heat in a close roome, heating the room before you set them in, or in an oven upon papers, in pewter dishes, and then put them up in glasses; and keepe them in dry cupboards neere the fire. You may prove this preserving with sugar-candy instead of sugar if you please.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    we have bottles of sparkling rose tea with lime and cardamom in the fridge
    they're pretty good
    i had 2 today

poo
    speaking of rose water

I gotta say... I don't think turkish delights would be a good enough reason to turn on my brother and sisters

bowen wrote: »
    speaking of rose water

I gotta say... I don't think turkish delights would be a good enough reason to turn on my brother and sisters

but they're such condescending know-it-alls!

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    As much as I love turkish delight, I don't love it as much as my sister. She's an angel, no matter how much I annoy her.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads

Would I turn over my family for peanut butter cups

maybe

• mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    It's Wednesday evening...my last night alone before the Weekend of (hopefully) Awesome starts.

Popped out yesterday to get the various bits and bobs in for Evening 1 (the brisket) - so oil for roasting, the associated food items. Chatting to the boyf today and we (somehow) got onto the topic of rapeseed oil, because it appears that he may in fact be massively allergic to it (like anaphylactic levels of allergic). So of course, I immediately go and check the oil I picked up yesterday....yep, 100% rapeseed oil. So just popped out now to get sunflower oil instead (having already obliquely checked with him that he is not, in fact, severely allergic to any other forms of oil - luckily no).

So now the brisket is prepped - currently sat in its bath (like literally - I use an entire bottle for this dish!) of red wine, red onion, garlic and basil ready to be popped in the oven tomorrow morning for the slow roast before he arrives. Means that by the time he gets here, the smells should have permeated the flat perfectly :biggrin:

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve again!

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    If flowers are what your significant other(s) want then they're a good gift and if not they're not a good gift

This is not particularly hard I feel

My partner and I are both not into gifts and she was poking fun of her roommate for getting roses.

So of course the next time I saw her I got her flowers and we had a good laugh.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So tonight I had my first post breakup date

And it went pretty well? We had a good time anyway, not sure how big she is into me but not going to overly think about it

Was nice to get back out there and have an enjoyable evening though!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A old friend from Germany is releasing his first solo album.
    I reviewed the track list and I'm extremely disappointed to see that he's chosen not to include his early insta-classic "Straight through the backdoor (and into your heart)"

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I reviewed the track list and I'm extremely disappointed to see that he's chosen not to include his early insta-classic "Straight through the backdoor (and into your heart)"

Sorry, that's going on the fourth Spinal Tap album along with "Love Sausage."

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

And it went pretty well? We had a good time anyway, not sure how big she is into me but not going to overly think about it

It's the most tautological of all tautologies, but just putting yourself back out there is the most important part.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

It's the most tautological of all tautologies, but just putting yourself back out there is the most important part.

I think that when you break up, for a while? You're still in a relationship. It's still there in your mind, but you can't do anything you used to do relating to it. That's why it hurts so much, because while it's ended it's also not really ended?

So really what I feel is that I'm actually single again for the first time. I feel like I'm not in a relationship. And that's a big movement onwards. Dating can be a painful world but it is a living, forward looking one!

3clipse wrote: »

I think that when you break up, for a while? You're still in a relationship. It's still there in your mind, but you can't do anything you used to do relating to it. That's why it hurts so much, because while it's ended it's also not really ended?

So really what I feel is that I'm actually single again for the first time. I feel like I'm not in a relationship. And that's a big movement onwards. Dating can be a painful world but it is a living, forward looking one!

I agree 100% with all of this, yeah.

• mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I am oddly disappointed this didn't ToTP

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I spent close to $100 USD on Valentine's Day

Having a blast so far

I'm going to get up early and put some stuff on desk at work for when she gets there:
    Flowers in a vase
    Balloon
    Card
    Little Snoopy from Peanuts in a Cupid costume
    Heart earrings
    Those two things inside a little gift bag with arrows painted on it

Going to cook my girlfriend dinner too
    Lobster tail
    Crab cakes
    Crab stuffed jumbo shrimp
    Spinach and arugula salad

DouglasDanger on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I think we are going to walk to our local grocery store because they are giving away free chocolate bars, and then to the free wine tasting at the local specialty grocery. Free valentine’s festivities.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My GF surprised me by calling in sick, making chocolate covered oreos that look like lollipops and taking me out for Ramen. Coworkers were a little jealous.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Got my wife one of these and snuck it into bed with her this morning before the alarm went off.
    8jy46v16q8ps.png
    Shame about the spelling mistake but she hasn't noticed it (or at least mentioned it) yet and thinks it's pretty damn cute so calling it a win!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Edit: Also Hello Kitty is rad, you monster, I’ll fight you right now.

Now knowing this, I have constructed a Hello Kitty themed boxing ring for us to fight in, as my gift to you.

Prepare to be pummeled by my extremely considerate fury.

S-senpai....

McFodder wrote: »
    Got my wife one of these and snuck it into bed with her this morning before the alarm went off.
    8jy46v16q8ps.png
    Shame about the spelling mistake but she hasn't noticed it (or at least mentioned it) yet and thinks it's pretty damn cute so calling it a win!

Can’t tell if intentionally trying to antagonize secret British thread orrrr....

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Weirdo is spelled wrong

just be like 'even the spelling is weird'

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Weirdo is spelled wrong

(you are ruining everythinnnnnng)

Weirdo.

This discussion has been closed.