As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »

the tweet is gone, what was it?

the Jump Force install contains the UE4 project file, essentially making the game open source

e: at least that's what the tweet said, no idea what the project file contains and I'm not a devman

e2: maybe the tweet is gone because it's apparently not as big a deal:
    Since i got asked it alot. No there is no source code left by developers in JF. The project file alot are claiming to be the SC is useless. We got that file for FZ and youll get it for every ue4 game youre extracting. Its more or less empty and just used to keep folder structure.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

the Jump Force install contains the UE4 project file, essentially making the game open source

e: at least that's what the tweet said, no idea what the project file contains and I'm not a devman
    Yeah he deleted the tweet because that's wrong, it's just the metadata of the source code, not the actual source code. It doesn't actually help anyone else at all.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

I quite liked Moonlighter, although it wasn't really finished at launch. Good to see them continue to add new stuff to it.

Brolo on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I quite liked Moonlighter, although it wasn't really finished at launch. Good to see them continue to add new stuff to it.

Yeah it's neat.

I put it down when they announced all their upcoming changes so maybe it's time to hop back in again.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Out today!
    In a mood for a little journey to a colourful world full of unexpected events and crazy characters? Jump into a feel-good adventure with rogue-lite elements, where action meets cuteness and powers come with friendship. A love letter to anime and quirkiness from two indie developers.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/573110/AWAY_Journey_to_the_Unexpected/
    Feb 13 - Away: Journey to the Unexpected

You are a traveling painter, exploring the island of Eastshade. Capture the world on canvas using your artist’s easel. Talk to the inhabitants to learn about their lives. Make friends and help those in need. Visit cities, scale summits, unearth mysteries, and discover forgotten places!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/715560/Eastshade/
    Feb 13 - Eastshade

Brolo on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I somehow convince myself that Moonlighter was in Early Access while playing it. When I finished, I checked back and it wasn't. Good to see it's filling out a bit, it is a really fun game.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There is a pleasure nexus at the intersection of "very good" and "very buggy" and so I look forward to plumbing Metro Exoduses depths

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Shit like what was happening with Activision/Blizz is why I nope'd out of the games industry on the ground floor.

It's an industry that is fucking terrible to its employees

All industries are like that though, not just the games industry.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    dear lord Eastshade looks incredibly gorgeous

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I believe there are some Total War folks in this thread. I recently built a new pc and now have sufficient horsepower to run Total Warhammer. Any tips for getting started? I hear Chaos is a real problem late in the game.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I believe there are some Total War folks in this thread. I recently built a new pc and now have sufficient horsepower to run Total Warhammer. Any tips for getting started? I hear Chaos is a real problem late in the game.

Chaos can be a problem, but they don't show up for like 75 turns. Empire is gonna be your "beginner" faction, at least in the first game, as they tend to play the most like a traditional army, so I'd start with them unless you're dead set against it, in which case I'd probably go with greenskins or dwarfs. Now if you're playing the sequel you wanna start off with Tyrion, the main high elf Lord. Excellent race to learn the game with, great mix of everything that most other armies have (though light on monstrous units) in addition to some of the best ranged support in the game and powerful magic. The Lizardman Lord Mazdamundi also is a really fun beginner's campaign and you get to be dinosaurs fighting ratmen and g-g-g-ghost pirates!

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I'd skip Total Warhammer and buy Total Warhammer 2. The first game's campaign is basically contained in the second game's world map mode, so you will only be missing the smaller DLC stories. Those are good but not as good as what you'd get going TW2 first.

As for Chaos, they can be manageable or cut a swath through your faction depending on circumstances. I've both massacred them almost accidentally by having an army in the right place when an NPC went for their stacks and been steamrolled by them in different games.

Phillishere on
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular

Empire looks like a typical starter faction, but they aren't: their start is actually pretty difficult. I would recommend starting with Dwarves, as they are strongest faction from the main four.

• TubeTube Registered User admin

I'd skip Total Warhammer and buy Total Warhammer 2. The first game's campaign is basically contained in the second game's world map mode, so you will only be missing the smaller DLC stories. Those are good but not as good as what you'd get going TW2 first.

As for Chaos, they can be manageable or cut a swath through your faction depending on circumstances. I've both massacred them almost accidentally by having an army in the right place when an NPC went for their stacks and been steamrolled by them in different games.

Mortal Empires (the giant campaign) requires you to own both.

I'd start with TW 1 because it's actually a tighter experience than the first game, it's cheaper and easier to get to grips with. They're both good though.

As far as gameplay, Chaos is a lot better now (although I'm not sure whether they rolled those improvements into 1) and is genuinely playable. The best starter race by far is Dwarfs because they're a hard counter to their nearest rival. Empire were the hardest start, last time I checked. Otherwise, you can't go wrong, it's a great game with a ton of great content and all the DLC is excellent.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Man, I really like Dota auto chess

This thing good

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Mortal Empires (the giant campaign) requires you to own both.

I'd start with TW 1 because it's actually a tighter experience than the first game, it's cheaper and easier to get to grips with. They're both good though.

As far as gameplay, Chaos is a lot better now (although I'm not sure whether they rolled those improvements into 1) and is genuinely playable. The best starter race by far is Dwarfs because they're a hard counter to their nearest rival. Empire were the hardest start, last time I checked. Otherwise, you can't go wrong, it's a great game with a ton of great content and all the DLC is excellent.

Oh yeah in 2 Empire is a nightmare. I hate it, it makes me not wanna play one of my favorite armies :/

Dwarfs are always a good choice and always fun to play. Something about them just satisfies my "I want to play Total Warhammer" itch very very nicely.

I will say though: Lizardmen are dinosaurs riding larger angrier dinosaurs that sometimes shoot lasers. So.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    New VR game from Harmonix, Audica, coming to early access next month:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PwmDO5WCq8

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    If you start as Dwarfs for your first playthrough, just make sure it's the main dwarf faction and not the Clan Angrund sub-faction as they have a harder start.

Also, if you enjoy the game it's basically a big lego set you can keep adding to. Owning the first game gets you 5 playable races, and then it has 4 DLC races. Then the second game has it's own races, but everything you own from the first game carries over (not campaign progress though, they use separate saves but you'll have the races available).

I picked up the original game back when it came out, only to learn my pc at the time had a very hard time running it. I've been messing around with the Vampire Counts since they are my favorite non-Skaven, non-Tomb Kings faction. I'll probably grab TW2 when it goes on sale though.

I have extensive experience with TW: Shogun 2, and in just a couple hours messing around with Total Warhammer I can already see a bunch of quality of life improvements.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    i own both totalwarhammers but i have never finished a campaign

one day im just going to buy all the DLC and do one GRAND CAMPAIGN to rule them all

Jasconius on
    I'm pretty comfortable not finishing campaigns, having played the game enough times. Like I went and tried the Kemmler refresh, had some fun, did some battles and went "ok that's enough". This is especially true of mortal empires where I think setting your own goals is really important

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    So far I finished first game once (with Dwarfs), and sequel three times (with Dark Elves, High Elves and Tomb Kings). Now I should finally check out Norsca in the first one, while waiting for a next DLC for Warhammer II. I really want those new units for Lizardmen and Skaven.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i did TW1 with Kemmler and i think I also tried the dwarfs

i got stomped with Kemmler, and then I stomped so hard with dwarfs I got bored

TW2 I did the vampires and had a pretty good time but that game seems to have a much more complex campaign objective and I fell behind while trying to get my feet wet

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In the first game I think I just completed the campaign once with each race.

In the second game I've completed the Eye of the Vortex campaign with Lothern, Naggarond, Hexoatl, Clan Pestilens, all four Tomb Kings factions, and the main Vampire Coast faction.

I've only completed Mortal Empires as Vampire Counts, Beastmen, and Warriors of Chaos (edit: and might have actually finished a Norsca campaign? Can't remember).

I've got a metric ton of campaigns that never got completed, though. Not completing the campaign objectives isn't wasted time though, if you have your own goals.

Lars on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

In the second game I've completed the Eye of the Vortex campaign with Lothern, Naggarond, Hexoatl, Clan Pestilens, all four Tomb Kings factions, and the main Vampire Coast faction.

I've only completed Mortal Empires as Vampire Counts, Beastmen, and Warriors of Chaos (edit: and might have actually finished a Norsca campaign? Can't remember).

I've got a metric ton of campaigns that never got completed, though. Not completing the campaign objectives isn't wasted time though, if you have your own goals.

I generally stop following the campaign objectives when I hit one that goes against the campaign I was trying to play. I just have more fun without the frustration of, say, having to hold a bunch of elven cities when I really just want to raze the seas with the pirate lord lady.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Going from the first to second playthrough in REmake 2 kinda sucks. I miss my fat inventory.

Undead Scottsman on
    Lars wrote: »

I generally stop following the campaign objectives when I hit one that goes against the campaign I was trying to play. I just have more fun without the frustration of, say, having to hold a bunch of elven cities when I really just want to raze the seas with the pirate lord lady.

The Mortal Empires campaign have a lot of kind of arbitrary goals to try and encourage you to go to the new world or vice versa.

I kind of... don't like Mortal Empires that much, aside from the fact that it lets you play a freer style of game in TW2 (I don't like the Vortex unless I'm playing the TK and Vampire Coast who don't give a fuck about it). Those turn times are fucking killer.

Do any of the factions not engage with the magic system?

Do any of the factions not engage with the magic system?

Dwarfs, primarily.

Specifically, Dwarfs don't use magic and have a 50% resistance to it. They have click abilities based on runes, but no like "I have mana, I cast fireball with my mana"

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

That's the one that revealed that some game just out accidentally included the project file in their install - essentially revealing their entire source for the game if you cared to investigate.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    (the tweet was deleted because they were mistaken, that project file being there is normal and there was nothing of note in it)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I just found out about spellbreak today, and it looks cool as hell.

someone is doing a wizard battle royal and it looks cool.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    New VR game from Harmonix, Audica, coming to early access next month:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PwmDO5WCq8

Beat Saber was the first thing that I was interested in playing in VR.

But holy crap, they took the core of Chroma and made a game that I really want almost as much as what Chroma could have been.

If/when I get a headset, this will be a first purchase.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Now that the (entirely justified) outrage is dying down a bit, I wanted to go back and signal boost this:
    Brolo wrote: »
    Arcade Spirits, a romantic visual novel, follows an alternate timeline set in the year 20XX where the 1983 video game crash never occurred. After a turbulent work history, you are granted employment at the Funplex, a popular arcade, home to a host of unique personalities and customers. Where will this new-found employment take you? Who will you meet along the way? Will you find the romance you're seeking?

Design your own character from the ground up - pronoun, hairstyle, skin tone, hair color, eye color and more are completely customizable and are reflected throughout the game in both gameplay and artwork!

With roleplaying-based choices, you will be able to grow your personality and relationships in any way you desire; Friendship, Platonic or something more intimate! Work hard and build the relationship you desire with a total of seven romanceable characters!

The Identity Identifier System, or IRIS, can track your relationship statuses with all characters throughout Arcade Spirits as well as your personality traits, from Quirky, Steady, and Kindly, to Gutsy and Basically.

Everything you choose in Arcade Spirits, from your relationships to your personality, your crisis management moments, and a myriad other decision will have an effect on the future of your arcade!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/910630/Arcade_Spirits/
    Feb 12 - Arcade Spirits

The lead dev is a friend of mine, and I can attest that this is truly a labor of love. If you have any interest in arcades and/or spirits visual novels, check this one out.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    (the tweet was deleted because they were mistaken, that project file being there is normal and there was nothing of note in it)

As a developer, that makes sense. I thought it totally weird that a project file to contain more than structure. also, I could have sworn I checked for a new page. This is what I get for posting before the coffee has had a chance to kick in.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Dream Daddy is on sale for 69% off

which I am sure is a coincidence

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    oh sick, that's the weed number

This discussion has been closed.