As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    As long as its not another IGN stream. I saw something that seemed true as anything difficulties go from "master, hard, normal, easy, limbless, IGN employee"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The 2060 seems like a great card so far. It was a very nice upgrade from my 970, which was starting to struggle at 1080. It's nice to be able to play everything (not you, Assassin's Creed Odyssey) at 1440p Ultra.

I also made the jump from 970 to 2060, and 1080p to 1440p.

Its a great card but the nVidia drivers are kinda shit past 417.71

Really? How so?

Kept getting DIGX errors and media disconnect errors with it.

I'm saying on 417 for the time being.

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    As long as its not another IGN stream. I saw something that seemed true as anything difficulties go from "master, hard, normal, easy, limbless, IGN employee"

I'm pretty sure it's just Bioware people playing it today

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Shouldn't that be Polygon employee?

Anyone remember that Doom 2106 play video? Woof.

Well this joke came about after a metro video played by IGN, but really anyone in games media is terrible. Its why when they talk difficulty with a game in a review I just tune that shit right out they are like the worst at video games. Like if I made a game I'd have the lowest difficulty be "Games Journalist" where items are highlighted and give you near limitless amounts and the plot gets refreshed at every check point.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The RTX 2060 is a steal at its current price. It's pretty much on par with the GTX 1080 in performance.

Live stream is live mother fuckers!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    so, the game is launching for the early access at 9am Central on the 15th. The original date/time in origin was... incorrect. This is as per their live stream that's going on right now.

253J736.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, which I get but that's a super big bummer considering a lot of people planned out their time off and such based around that. I bet streamers were expecting to stream tomorrow too, whoops.

edited February 2019
    Ok ye gods don't watch the twitch chat. Like people are whining about it coming out on the 15th and not the 14th like origin was saying. OH GOD THE HORROR!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So according to the stream, the launch is NOT when Origin says it's out?

They're saying it's out 9 am Central Time on the 15th, which is 16:00 in my time (CET)

According Origin, it's out on 23:30 on the 14th, which would be 16.5 hours earlier...

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »
    So according to the stream, the launch is NOT when Origin says it's out?

They're saying it's out 9 am Central Time on the 15th, which is 16:00 in my time (CET)

According Origin, it's out on 23:30 on the 14th, which would be 16.5 hours earlier...

Correct. Origin is incorrect.

edited February 2019
    They should change that

They should have changed that a week ago

edit: Looks like it's fixed now if you restart Origin, but it has said Feb 14th for like a week

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Interesting they changed mission launching to specifically be a selection instead of picking the map from beta. But that doesn't go live until full launch on the 22nd.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    They should change that

They should have changed that a week ago

I would guess that Origin is "Unlocking" it at the time they say, but Bioware is not bringing the servers up until when they said, so after the Origin time you could start the game and get to the title screen, but since the servers will be down you couldn't actually play.

PSN|AspectVoid
    So you can invite someone to a party in freeplay. And they can join you in freeplay if your session isn't full.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wait...wasn't it always the 15th?

Dragkonias wrote: »

That was always the talked about release date, origin was showing tomorrow for a week, but that was apparently a bug.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Dragkonias wrote: »

That was the official date, but Origin was saying that it would unlock around midnight for EU, which is the 14th in the US

Now it unlocks in the morning in the US, which is late in the day for EU and night for Asia

To be clear, it was always the 15th. Origin listed it as the 14th for some timezones, which didn't seem weird because they did say it was the 15th and a global release. There was no reason to suspect the Origin time was wrong. It was also longer than a week, in fact the time on Origin was the only published straightforward time ever.

Yes, you can say "oh no people are whining because it's actually the 15th" and sure, people are going to overreact to it but you can't really fault anyone for believing the release dates as they were posted. This wasn't like an obvious bug. Through all official means the time was one thing, now it's something else.

Yes, it was likely always supposed to be what it is now, but it's still something they should have gotten out ahead of weeks ago when the date started circulating around.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    They just confirmed guilds, if I understood that correctly.

In better news, if you have a version that includes the soundtrack, you can now download it from Origin

Really love the Legion of Dawn track

Between the "correct" time being announced as later than what all official sources had stated before and the fact that they still think being absolutely silent on text chat functionality is ok I can't help but be a little disappointed in that stream.

I'm still pretty stoked for the game but man, oof.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I quite liked the music from the demo.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    I quite liked the music from the demo.

Yeah, it had a great cinematic feel to it. And I'm a sucker for good movie scores.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Well this joke came about after a metro video played by IGN, but really anyone in games media is terrible. Its why when they talk difficulty with a game in a review I just tune that shit right out they are like the worst at video games. Like if I made a game I'd have the lowest difficulty be "Games Journalist" where items are highlighted and give you near limitless amounts and the plot gets refreshed at every check point.

I feel like this is unfair. For one, games journalists generally have to spend less time per game than the rest of us, and while skills do crossover, I know for a fact it takes me maybe a dozen or so hours to really get comfortable with a game even in a genre I'm very familiar with.

For two, context matters. If I'm a journalist looking to demo a game, and I know I'm being recorded, I'm going to take my time exploring and panning and generally just doing things more slowly. I know what it's like to watch someone else play, and I do not want to give my viewers a headache by doing things as fast as possible (especially in FPS games). Similarly, the purpose of me doing the demo isn't for me to win the game as fast as possible. It's for me to provide the audience with a proxy so that they can get a decent understanding of how the game looks, feels, and plays. Should I include "real-time" gameplay so they can see what it's like to actually play in the moment? Sure. But should that be the starting point or even bulk of my demo time? Probably not.

And for three, calibrating for relative skill is something that is actually important in game design. Not every game needs to be played at breakneck speeds for people who have spent decades playing video games in order to be fun or even well-designed. And implying that in order to understand a game or play a game you need to have X level of skill is actually counter to proper game design principles. If I make a game that requires you to do 1,000 push-ups before you can move one step, it requires a lot of physical skill but that doesn't by default make it a good game. And I don't need to be able to do 1,000 push-ups to know that in most contexts it's probably bad game design.

You can certainly argue that a low-skill reviewer may not be able to fully evaluate a high-skill game, or a game at its higher skill levels, but that's not the same thing as arguing that anyone who can't hit Platinum in League is just "trash at the game" and their opinion doesn't matter. The vast majority of players are not going to be at the upper tiers of any given game, and reviewing a game as though that's what they are going to experience completely misses the mark. It would be akin to telling someone that basketball is a shitty sport and not fun to play because "that fucking Steph Curry guy is just going to hit a half-court 3-pointer at 50% and win the game LOL NBA GAME BALANCE".

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I have solved any problems I might have with games journalism by largely ignoring games journalism. I know what things I kind of like and if I want to wait until a game is out I'm more likely to glance at the forums or reddit to see what kind of complaints people are having. And since I know what I like and what kind of bugs I'm tolerant of, that's usually plenty for me to make a decision on when or if to buy it. And let's not even get started on all the outrage/pseudo-controversies they try to stir up on a slow news day.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Can you not preload if you only Origin Access basic?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Seems that way. It keeps asking me to upgrade to premier or pre-order. Unless I'm missing the button we'll likely have to wait until the 15th when the game or servers go like to download.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

you can preload it if a) you've pre-ordered it and done whatever finagling necessary to get it on origin or b) have origin access premier which is basically the same thing.

I think

fuck gendered marketing
    edited February 2019
    Cormac wrote: »

Seems that way. It keeps asking me to upgrade to premier or pre-order. Unless I'm missing the button we'll likely have to wait until the 15th when the game or servers go like to download.
    Elldren wrote: »

you can preload it if a) you've pre-ordered it and done whatever finagling necessary to get it on origin or b) have origin access premier which is basically the same thing.

I think
    Drat.

Well played, EA, but I'll just wait to install it at launch.

Dr. Chaos on

I feel like this is unfair. For one, games journalists generally have to spend less time per game than the rest of us, and while skills do crossover, I know for a fact it takes me maybe a dozen or so hours to really get comfortable with a game even in a genre I'm very familiar with.

For two, context matters. If I'm a journalist looking to demo a game, and I know I'm being recorded, I'm going to take my time exploring and panning and generally just doing things more slowly. I know what it's like to watch someone else play, and I do not want to give my viewers a headache by doing things as fast as possible (especially in FPS games). Similarly, the purpose of me doing the demo isn't for me to win the game as fast as possible. It's for me to provide the audience with a proxy so that they can get a decent understanding of how the game looks, feels, and plays. Should I include "real-time" gameplay so they can see what it's like to actually play in the moment? Sure. But should that be the starting point or even bulk of my demo time? Probably not.

And for three, calibrating for relative skill is something that is actually important in game design. Not every game needs to be played at breakneck speeds for people who have spent decades playing video games in order to be fun or even well-designed. And implying that in order to understand a game or play a game you need to have X level of skill is actually counter to proper game design principles. If I make a game that requires you to do 1,000 push-ups before you can move one step, it requires a lot of physical skill but that doesn't by default make it a good game. And I don't need to be able to do 1,000 push-ups to know that in most contexts it's probably bad game design.

You can certainly argue that a low-skill reviewer may not be able to fully evaluate a high-skill game, or a game at its higher skill levels, but that's not the same thing as arguing that anyone who can't hit Platinum in League is just "trash at the game" and their opinion doesn't matter. The vast majority of players are not going to be at the upper tiers of any given game, and reviewing a game as though that's what they are going to experience completely misses the mark. It would be akin to telling someone that basketball is a shitty sport and not fun to play because "that fucking Steph Curry guy is just going to hit a half-court 3-pointer at 50% and win the game LOL NBA GAME BALANCE".

I mean

The Polygon dude almost died from the first 3 zombies in Doom 2016 and couldn't control anything worth a damn. Like, they were sliding past things, going back, stopping, re-aiming (they couldn't move and aim at the same time), etc.

Doom 2016 is an incredibly twitchy, high-flying motherfucker of a game even played at OK levels of skill and this guy couldn't move and aim at the same time and then had the gall to say the boss fights were bad? I won't believe him, much like I won't believe someone who can't drive a stick shift reviewing a car with manual transmission.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Ok, listening to the OST is breaking down my will. I have the deluxe edition pre-ordered and pre-loaded. If I throw $15 at them, I can start on the 15th and then when I cancel next month the game will look at my deluxe pre-order for the future?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

I mean

The Polygon dude almost died from the first 3 zombies in Doom 2016 and couldn't control anything worth a damn. Like, they were sliding past things, going back, stopping, re-aiming (they couldn't move and aim at the same time), etc.

Doom 2016 is an incredibly twitchy, high-flying motherfucker of a game even played at OK levels of skill and this guy couldn't move and aim at the same time and then had the gall to say the boss fights were bad? I won't believe him, much like I won't believe someone who can't drive a stick shift reviewing a car with manual transmission.

If you had said the person playing had never touched a controller before I would believe that, but that just asks the question why are they doing the Video!

I honestly care more about the other dumb stuff, like a reviewer that hates a genre and shows it or the complete lack of even basic knowledge about a game they are supposed to be talking with some authority about.

Basically when they act like bad PR hires instead of a Journalist.

There are options to remove head bobbing and camera shaking. Thank god.

I get bad motion sickness when it comes to those in some games.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a summary of anything new from the livestream?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »

Honestly it was a bit disappointing. Not really anything we didn't already know and it didn't last long.

Couldn't even really look at gameplay changes cause the person playing...wasn't the best.

Gork wrote: »
    Said they heard the complaints about Colossus not being tanky enough in the early game and so they adjusted it abit so thats good.

They said other stuff but I wasn't listening.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Since I'm not above mooching, anyone got a trial code they aren't using?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I probably have one to give out but I have no idea where to find it....

This discussion has been closed.