As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Honestly don't think I skip survival on any chassis

Yeah, I need as much TTK on my mechs as I can get.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

I generally don't use it on lights. Take the Arctic cheetah. Even if you hit all the armor and structure nodes that's just 6 more points of armor and 6 structure on the CT (and even less on the legs and sidetorsos).
    Points are better spent in Mobility and Sensors to prevent your opponents from ever hitting you in the first place.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Who can pilot an Executioner succesfully? Baradul can.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-GG1RTHOvc

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I generally don't use it on lights. Take the Arctic cheetah. Even if you hit all the armor and structure nodes that's just 6 more points of armor and 6 structure on the CT (and even less on the legs and sidetorsos).
    Points are better spent in Mobility and Sensors to prevent your opponents from ever hitting you in the first place.

With the Cheetah (or any ECM-equipped light mech in particular), your armor is the enhanced ECM and your mobility.

Which is what makes the Cougar so frustrating to pilot: it had the ECM...but the mobility is sorely lacking.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    All this talk is making me rethink my skill trees now... I originally made my AC's tankier to feel like the original launch vehicle. But now I'm thinking that maybe I'll switch things up a bit.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I always go at least left-half Survival tree on my Assaults. Armor sharing is my job.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've been doing left half survival on my K9 and Grinner, but both have armor quirks

Nobody on
  • Options
    PhazonRebornPhazonReborn Registered User regular
    I am still hesitating to pull the trigger on this game despite being a very big fan of the source material and the old Mercenaries game (from the 90's)

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I am still hesitating to pull the trigger on this game despite being a very big fan of the source material and the old Mercenaries game (from the 90's)

Even as a bittervet, I still highly recommend it for new players, if for nothing else than that it is free.

Unless you are talking about the MW5 pre-order, which I can understand being hesitant.

Or if you are talking about the BattleTech game by HBS which I recommend again if you enjoy turn based strategy.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PhazonRebornPhazonReborn Registered User regular

Even as a bittervet, I still highly recommend it for new players, if for nothing else than that it is free.

Unless you are talking about the MW5 pre-order, which I can understand being hesitant.

Or if you are talking about the BattleTech game by HBS which I recommend again if you enjoy turn based strategy.

I must have missed a part of this discussion. Which game is free?

Also I may have mistakenly assumed this thread was about the HBS game, which is what I was referring to being hesitant on.

I do like TBS games but I've been a little apprehensive because of the game engine (Unity) has never been great on my computer.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

I must have missed a part of this discussion. Which game is free?

Also I may have mistakenly assumed this thread was about the HBS game, which is what I was referring to being hesitant on.

I do like TBS games but I've been a little apprehensive because of the game engine (Unity) has never been great on my computer.

Yeah, it's a combined Battletech/Mechwarrior Online/Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries thread.

EDIT - and the free game Gnome was referring to is Mechwarrior Online.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think I'm finally getting bored of Battletech.

It only took 168 hours.

Oooh, but there's also mods...

• Options
    chasm wrote: »
    I always go at least left-half Survival tree on my Assaults. Armor sharing is my job.

So I took a look at the Ultraviolet that I was running... Only to discover I left it with stock armor levels!!! Reset the front armor to have more and then stuffed a bunch into Armor (took out all the cool-shot stuff for now), put some into torso speed, and tossed a few into Radar Derp and took it out for a spin. Yep, worked much better the second time around. Although I do miss the cooler firing of the LBXs (I actually overheated for my first time ever), it did stay alive longer.

Oh and the Piranha is definitely different with less armor on its legs. I didn't realize this and a Wolfhound took me out... I'll have to play around with the skills and see if I like it after I get back into the groove of things. Been out for far too long.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yeah, on my UV, I went full Survival and Mobility and just enough into Firepower to get the Magazine nodes. It's a LOT more agile and with the meme 8xLB2 build, it's just silly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I went back to HBS: Battletech after the recent patch.

They fixed the incredibly long load times! But they added a serious hang on closing the game which you don't want to interrupt or it corrupts files. Guess you can't win them all.

But, finally, 3840 x 1080 works! It was a listed resolution when they added ultrawide support, but I could never get the game to actually do it. Tried it again on a lark and boom, suddenly the game is filling my entire monitor! All 32:9 of it! And the UI isn't shit!

Edit: If you want to see

In mission

In the mech bay fixing my Orion's mission arm

Namrok on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    That is an obscene resolution.

Totally jelly over here.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Namrok wrote: »

They fixed the incredibly long load times! But they added a serious hang on closing the game which you don't want to interrupt or it corrupts files. Guess you can't win them all.

But, finally, 3840 x 1080 works! It was a listed resolution when they added ultrawide support, but I could never get the game to actually do it. Tried it again on a lark and boom, suddenly the game is filling my entire monitor! All 32:9 of it! And the UI isn't shit!

In mission

How do you sleep at night?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »

In mission

How do you sleep at night?

I'm guessing "illuminated by a magnificent computer display array".

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    It's just a double-wide monitor. Is it really that fancy?

(no offense it's actually quite fancy)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    It's just a double-wide monitor. Is it really that fancy?

(no offense it's actually quite fancy)

Yeah, I grabbed it with my Christmas bonus last year. It's that Samsung CGH90. It was "on sale" for about $1000 (down from $1800) before $1000 just became it's normal price. It's basically 2 1080P monitors combined and curved with a 144 hz refresh rate. I think the fact that it didn't have a 1440 vertical turned a lot of people off to it, resulting it being rapidly slashed in price. $1000 was still a bit rich for my stingy self, but it was a nice bonus and I rarely splurge on myself like that.

It strays into "That happened" territory, but when I was walking out of Microcenter with it, employees were congratulating me on my purchase. It was surreal.

• Options
    Dear random players in QP

Stop voting for Polar Highlands. Unless you want it to ran LRMs and ATMs on you constantly.

Signed, the guy trying to work on his Victor and is getting stuck on this map over and over and over again.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

Stop voting for Polar Highlands. Unless you want it to ran LRMs and ATMs on you constantly.

Signed, the guy trying to work on his Victor and is getting stuck on this map over and over and over again.

Use that AMS slot? Sure, you only have one, but if three mechs with a single AMS stick close they create a pretty effective crossfire.

• Options

Use that AMS slot? Sure, you only have one, but if three mechs with a single AMS stick close they create a pretty effective crossfire.

Plus it will guarantee you to not be placed on Polar, where it is useful.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, it's currently the meta brawl build for the 9S, so I'm looking at options, maybe a UAC/10 and MRMs along with the AMS.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's currently the meta brawl build for the 9S, so I'm looking at options, maybe a UAC/10 and MRMs along with the AMS.

Best VTR-9S buil I've managed to come up with..

• Options

Best VTR-9S buil I've managed to come up with..

Not bad, I started testing a build last night that dropped a heat sink for an AMS and a half ton of ammo.

I think I can get away with dropping a half ton of AC/20 ammo to make it a full ton for the AMS, I don’t think I’ve ever run dry in that thing, even in steamroller matches.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Plus it will guarantee you to not be placed on Polar, where it is useful.

Trying to get the AMS challenge last weekend had me dropping on Solaris City in my only AMS equipped mech (Kodiac) three matches in a row. Then one on HPG, where apparently no one took LRMs. 6 matches to get 250 AMS damage or whatever it was.

• Options
    If you want to do the AMS challenge take the trial Nova out. Triple AMS makes it a bit easier.

• Options
    I like weird as shit builds that still work. And giant shotguns. https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#33fe544a_VTR-9S

I take my Kit Fox-C for AMS shenanigans. It's the same as Baradul's build today with regular MGs in place of the heavy ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »
    I like weird as shit builds that still work. And giant shotguns. https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#33fe544a_VTR-9S

I take my Kit Fox-C for AMS shenanigans. It's the same as Baradul's build today with regular MGs in place of the heavy ones.

Trying out a variation of your Victor using the engine I currently have: VTR-9S

Drops the RL20 (I'm not a huge fan of one shot weapons) and downgrades the MPLs to regular MLs to keep the engine a LFE 325 and keep a jump jet as a precautionary piece. So far it's okay. It's doing better than the AC/20+3 ASRM6 version at least. I think once I get enough skill points in it I can try swapping back to that build.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    PSA: Death From Above is BACK and is on Saturdays @ 1PM via ZOE's Twitch channel.

https://www.twitch.tv/zombieorpheus/videos

@DaMoonRulz

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Why not on HyperRPG?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Why not on HyperRPG?

IIRC, they moved their studio (I want to say to California, but I could be wrong on that). So it might be a bit of a drive to play stompy bots for the HBS crew.

• Options
    Oh man, I stumbled across the battletech cartoon on youtube. It's amazing.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Oh man, I stumbled across the battletech cartoon on youtube. It's amazing.

Yep, it is the best worst stuff ever.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I used to have the Mauler and Bushwhacker toys somewhere.

I kinda feel like I should paint my MWO ones in the same colors.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I used to have the Mauler and Bushwhacker toys somewhere.

I kinda feel like I should paint my MWO ones in the same colors.

I've got the Axeman and Hunchback IIc sitting on a shelf, in my basement, right now!

I've decided that if I ever lose my mind and start collecting 28mm-scale Battletech models, I'll start from that toy line. It's close enough in scale, if you squint, I think.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I dusted off a King Crab last night on MWO (not sure of the specific model) with 2x gauss rifle, 3x ER LL and man is that slow Crab a menace. Even my bad games were pretty solid and it was pretty routine to hit at least 700 dmg, but I'm going to have to play with the build a bit because even with speed tweak skills it only hits 51kph and thus I have a hard time getting out of bad situations.

Also gauss rifles are the one weapon that gets me in trouble with friendly fire. I get so focused on the delay/lining up my shot that sometimes I don't notice a light mech running to my line of fire until I blast off an arm or a leg.

• Options
    I swapped mine to 4xUAC/5 and stuffed it with the largest light engine (360) it can fit.

It runs hot though, but running out of almost is rarely a concern, I’m either dead or their entire team is dead first.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Looks like the Atlas's glowing eyes are coming back next patch on multiple mechs. Bad news is it's a bolt-on that costs 1000 MC.

68a6e831eb758a055afc6dfc8079526f.png87d31eacbe15062b09ee729c9f219660.pngcba735124ca97a0740cca33039cf6a38.png270ac1b2769f67cde879ca86189ee034.png91e17f9effd9678f2e391444d5f232e1.png

You can also change the color

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png