As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    It’s kind of unintentional that New York felt generic because they were pushing ‘this is New York’ a lot. They weren’t trying to make a generic city setting.

Looks like there's an Open Beta coming too. I wonder if we will get to try any other new content. Just let me try the Hive.

I think it's more 'generic' in the sense that the 'generic' city most people in America think of is NYC.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Reading about the solo-friendly feel of the beta is getting me more excited for this. I love(d) playing with PAers in Destiny 1 and 2, but lately, more often than not, I'm playing these games-as-a-service solo and just grabbing randoms - then grabbing PAers for more organized sessions (on rarer occasions). Maybe it's because I've had limited time to play lately and don't want to burden others by dropping in and dropping out. Whatever the reason, I'm getting excited.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    So played a bit of the beta over the weekend.

Some random thoughts:
    That "we survived" into was cringy. Hopefully not indicative of the writing going forward.

Movement feels sluggish. Not sure how it is compared to Div1, or if I have just been playing too much Warframe. Once I got used to it, it was fine.

Environments are more colourful, hopefully they lean into that a lot more because it's the only pro over the winter weather from Div1 which was a lot more atmospheric.

They really do love them some US monuments in this one. Much prefered the generic city from Div1, much more universal.

Not a lot of new skills, and the ones they did have available were meh. I guess this one is going to be hyper focused on gunplay again like Div1.

Overall, the low level game play was fun. It's a tight 3rd person cover shooter with a lot of little details, but so far it has impressed me a lot less than the Div1 beta did back in the day.

Maybe you were joking, but The Division 1 took place in New York City. While I understand that is overexposed as a city in media (unless they shot it in Vancouver and called it NYC), most of the landmarks in it are kind of ... New Yorky.

While people from New York would recognise specific buildings, it's still a city and looks pretty much like every other modern western city.

Even the "landmarks" aren't distinctive unless you are familiar with them. Most cities have similar looking locations.

Washington DC though is full of monuments and very distinctive buildings.

Yes, that's because generic downtown Manhattan looks like generic downtown big city in real life, aside from select monuments (there are several in the game).

And Washington DC is full of monuments and very distinctive buildings in real life.

They modeled both games after the real life cities they take place in. They nailed both.

I am aware of that. My point is that I prefer the one over the other.

Fair enough, it just read like you were criticizing the developers for "overdoing it" with monuments in Div 2. Blame the city planners in Washington, man!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    It’s kind of unintentional that New York felt generic because they were pushing ‘this is New York’ a lot. They weren’t trying to make a generic city setting.

Looks like there's an Open Beta coming too. I wonder if we will get to try any other new content. Just let me try the Hive.

I think it's more 'generic' in the sense that the 'generic' city most people in America think of is NYC.

New York's iconic "straight streets lined by skyscrapers" look is pretty unique. Many cities have a street or cluster of downtown blocks that look like Manhattan, but I have never been anywhere where the skyscraper-lined streets just keep going and going like they do in the borough.

The Division 1 captured this extremely well.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Open beta tweet got BotP'd:

and it's a wipe on progress: (Yannick is the Live Content Manager)

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    It's weird to me that people are like "yeah, NYC is just too generic large city like" when I'm pretty sure "generic large city" is just 100% based on NYC. I get that it's not the most exciting setting but clearly they got it right, heh.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I really liked the division's environment. It felt alien and scary, just a big urban center empty and full of garbage.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    The reward unlocks are still janked for me, and a lot of other people as well if the beta forum is anything to go by. Redemption site claims I either didn't register for the beta (lol) or even more helpfully "an error occurred" gee thanks, real specific there.

I was able to use https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/rewards?reward2=thank-you&reward1=thank-you (via reddit) to confirm the shirt and patch rewards. Not seeing the rewards for logging into the beta or playing through the Invaded mission anymore though.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I really liked the division's environment. It felt alien and scary, just a big urban center empty and full of garbage.

The one thing that summer/D.C. setting is going to struggle to replicate is that feeling of oppressive claustrophobia from the first game, especially in the Dark Zone. D.C. is just such an open and bright city by comparison. I do imagine they are going to get a lot of mileage out of the tunnels around Crystal City and the Mall, though.

• Options

The one thing that summer/D.C. setting is going to struggle to replicate is that feeling of oppressive claustrophobia from the first game, especially in the Dark Zone. D.C. is just such an open and bright city by comparison. I do imagine they are going to get a lot of mileage out of the tunnels around Crystal City and the Mall, though.

Yeah the brightness through me at first, just it lost some of that claustrophic fun of new york.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    It's weird to me that people are like "yeah, NYC is just too generic large city like" when I'm pretty sure "generic large city" is just 100% based on NYC. I get that it's not the most exciting setting but clearly they got it right, heh.

haha yeah, The only real generic city is Vancouver, which is often used as a stand-in for NYC and many other US cities :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    The reward unlocks are still janked for me, and a lot of other people as well if the beta forum is anything to go by. Redemption site claims I either didn't register for the beta (lol) or even more helpfully "an error occurred" gee thanks, real specific there.

However, Open Beta has a date for the start of March, hopefully there's time to fix things, it's only a thin tshirt, but it's mine...
    How do you check that? I mean, it's not like those rewards have any real value, but it's still nice to have.

26904.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zetx wrote: »

I was able to use https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/rewards?reward2=thank-you&reward1=thank-you (via reddit) to confirm the shirt and patch rewards. Not seeing the rewards for logging into the beta or playing through the Invaded mission anymore though.

Sadly all I get is this when I log in there

c5mfsrwjj9b0.jpg

Neither of which are particularly helpful :(

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Ubi app says that I can redeem the shirt in game, but that I would need to register for the private beta... /boggle.

even though I last played it 2 days ago, according to the app. o_o

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Ubi app says that I can redeem the shirt in game, but that I would need to register for the private beta... /boggle.

Ubi you got some splaining to do!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Ubi you got some splaining to do!

tbf, according to the App, I also killed a rogue agent at some point but I still don't have an achievement... I get hte feeling the UBI app just makes stuff up.

and now I get to spend the next hour chucking my own feces at my tv screen to see what sticks working through the end of survival just to not bag the hunter as usual.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Tonight's results: First run, I teamed up with some rando person in the LZ and after making masks and heading toward the DZ entrance he decides maybe we should go through a landmark on the way down to the lower DZ entrance and it was a wipe. Yay. Lesson learned.

Second run I just stay solo, get to the first chopper call... three of us there, zero kills. Passed on boarding that chopper, as I'm gathering stuff for another flare gun, another extraction gets pinged... since I'm not finding any more weapon parts and I'm getting bored/annoyed at this stupid gametype, I go to the extract... I was up north of DZ03's extract, and by the time I got to him he was still fighting it from the rooftop. but, another assist. Yay.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The Div2 beta did not have "Neutral Lighting" as an option anymore, and that made me sad.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I was thinking that Neutral lighting might be default now, at least the night time stuff was dark/spotlight enough to feel the same. Hard to tell without doing a side to side though

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I think you're right, specially since some people have been campaigning for the addition of flashlights/flares to the game. I didn't play the beta enough to pay enough attention.

• Options
    It got fucking dark in some of the tunnels and such in the beta. Like to the point of wanting some kind of ability to illuminate.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    THE ONLY ILLUMINATION YOU NEED IS MUZZLE FLASHES.

Always Be Shooting.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Anyone else who preordered on PC get an email with a free game in it from ubisoft? Choice of Wildlands, Farcry Primal or Watchdogs 2, so nothing super new but still a real nice bonus.

*e*
    aha it's apparently a retroactive incentive

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    That's nice, they gave xboners a month of gamepass which I've used to play 3 games so far with crackdown 3 being my fourth.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    You should take Watch_Dogs 2, it's rad

• Options
    That's exactly what I took, because it looked pretty rad at release so will be extra rad for zero bones

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Well I have a copy of The Division 2 in my Uplay library but the redemption page says I'm not eligible for the offer. Neato. I'll wait a day then maybe try to put in a help ticket if it doesn't resolve

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Anyone else who preordered on PC get an email with a free game in it from ubisoft? Choice of Wildlands, Farcry Primal or Watchdogs 2, so nothing super new but still a real nice bonus.

*e*
    aha it's apparently a retroactive incentive

The only one of those I don’t already have is Primal and I don’t want it. Booo.

Both Wildlands and Watch Dogs 2 are great.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Yet again, I get cockblocked on my own goddamn hunter. Four assholes farming, I go to leave the extraction and one of them pops a flare to force my hunter to spawn and then they kill it. >\

Another chunk of time wasted. Seriously this goddamn shield is bullshit.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Ugh...
    4wxd5xztrq04.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUAItQmq-LU

Dropped two in the match after I took a break, and then three in the next game; I became the monster. U_U

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    dude nice

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Will the private beta files be updated somehow for the public beta, or will it just be another 40Gb download?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Word on the street is that it will be patched for the open beta, so keep it. (This isn't 100% confirmed, but is how the betas worked for Division 1) I expect that there will be an announcement on this front soonish, enough folk have been asking that question to warrant one.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Ugh...
    4wxd5xztrq04.png

Dropped two in the match after I took a break, and then three in the next game; I became the monster. U_U

Fucking fantastic! Mega grats man!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ugh...
    4wxd5xztrq04.png

Fucking fantastic! Mega grats man!

oh, I spoilered it for the size and video.

thanks... it really felt like a slog, especially when I realize that I've actually only played 8 or 9 games of survival... yet feels like I've been playing it forever.

now I just need to clear the achievement and then never do survival again... D:

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not a fan of the shields not being retroactive at all in certain categories, I got the “Extract 100 items in Survival” and did every Survival and Underground achievement long before the shields and while I liked both, I dont feel like doing a bunch of it again, especially since the achievements were pretty grindy to begin with. (Fuck the “Win 50 matches of Last Stand” in particular that was the epitome of stupid, that just means when either side thinks they’ve lost, they’ll quit out of ongoing matches to requeue again immediately)

Best solution imo would have been to at least add a partial completion if you had done the shield activity a lot before.

Any changes mentioned in the forthcoming open Beta? I mainly care about Ballistic Shield info was pretty disappointed to see the option locked out in the closed Beta.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Not a fan of the shields not being retroactive at all in certain categories, I got the “Extract 100 items in Survival” and did every Survival and Underground achievement long before the shields and while I liked both, I dont feel like doing a bunch of it again, especially since the achievements were pretty grindy to begin with. (Fuck the “Win 50 matches of Last Stand” in particular that was the epitome of stupid, that just means when either side thinks they’ve lost, they’ll quit out of ongoing matches to requeue again immediately)

Best solution imo would have been to at least add a partial completion if you had done the shield activity a lot before.

Any changes mentioned in the forthcoming open Beta? I mainly care about Ballistic Shield info was pretty disappointed to see the option locked out in the closed Beta.

I'm guessing there won't be a difference between the private and public beta but maybe?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Surprisingly, there's very few quitters in Last Stand, at least at this point. Little over halfway through that achievement... can't say how many games I've played though total.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

I'm guessing there won't be a difference between the private and public beta but maybe?

Yeah I think it'll be the same content but (hopefully) with stuff like better on call spam toggles and maybe a bit of tweaking here and there

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Do we know if the shields need to be complete by launch? I know I won't be able to complete all 12 by then but I can probably grind out a enough to get to rank 2 or 3 rewards (8 shields).