As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    I am very surprised you started a new batch. With the commentary on the last batch.

I will definitely cop to coming across as a griper, but it's more being below expected value here makes me think about other unpleasant things. WRT this game:

1.) I would pay $10 a month just to play this game, so $10 a month where you maybe get a new item once every few months (ugh 45 misses in a row streak) is technically an improvement there, if you look at it glass half full.
    2.) I have basically stopped buying console games because I play this, so I shifted some of the money I would pay for PS4 games over here. Also I probably haven't bought a Switch because of this game, so that's big savings as well.
    3.) I still have leftover gems from the last Dream Select, so I'm basically coasting on those for the time being. I haven't explicitly bought gems for 100 gems in a while, though I admit money is fungible and it works out the same in the end.
    4.) I like to think I'm becoming inured to disappointment here, rather than expecting something nice and never getting it.

If it truly bothers people that I'm keeping a running tally in spoilers, I can stop?

It doesn't bother me that you are running a tally, I just don't like seeing you upset by the expected results of Gacha Screwover. I wonder if you might be happier if you spent your gems on getting extra draws on really good banners. As an aside, I love the great thread title changes.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I am very surprised you started a new batch. With the commentary on the last batch.

I will definitely cop to coming across as a griper, but it's more being below expected value here makes me think about other unpleasant things. WRT this game:

1.) I would pay $10 a month just to play this game, so $10 a month where you maybe get a new item once every few months (ugh 45 misses in a row streak) is technically an improvement there, if you look at it glass half full.
    2.) I have basically stopped buying console games because I play this, so I shifted some of the money I would pay for PS4 games over here. Also I probably haven't bought a Switch because of this game, so that's big savings as well.
    3.) I still have leftover gems from the last Dream Select, so I'm basically coasting on those for the time being. I haven't explicitly bought gems for 100 gems in a while, though I admit money is fungible and it works out the same in the end.
    4.) I like to think I'm becoming inured to disappointment here, rather than expecting something nice and never getting it.

If it truly bothers people that I'm keeping a running tally in spoilers, I can stop?

It doesn't bother me that you are running a tally, I just don't like seeing you upset by the expected results of Gacha Screwover. I wonder if you might be happier if you spent your gems on getting extra draws on really good banners. As an aside, I love the great thread title changes.

Puns are the highest form of humor, as far as I'm concerned.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Time to laugh at how bad my XI team is despite having like almost all the relics that ever came out in global

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Puns are the highest form of humor, as far as I'm concerned.

On that note, the new ice Witch skill Scary Blizzard got localized as Chilling Blizzard. Which I think is perfect.

PSA: shantotto + USB + LMR + 6-hit 6* ability = hilarious

Managed to swing sub-30 on 280. Had to bring Prishe as a second healer with her SSB, though.

Not sure how 450 would go - may try at some point because once I get rolling I've got some serious DPS, but I'm going to have to hone those witch abilities to R5.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Does she not cap with the five star witch abilities?

38thDoE on steam

I never bothered making/honing because I didn't get that USB until after I needed it, and I had no reason to hone witch stuff, and I knew 6* ones were coming.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm running through the realm dungeons, the original stuff. There must have been a rebalance because some of these things that I thought were too hard to master are faceroll now.

But more importantly I'm gaining stamina gems so fast I literally cannot run out of stamina. Every time I get close I get 5 more and refill. I almost hit 400 stamina yesterday, and even now just barely dipped under 300, and there are more gems coming. Did the FF15 stuff, then the FF7 spinoffs, FF13-2, and now the FFX-2. And that's just starting from the start of the flowchart and going down.

I need to stop and take inventory of what items I have, what I need from those special Tutorial book roles, etc etc, and start in on Nightmare, but... aaaah, more dungeons.

KiTA on
    If you really want to burn stamina, stop over at the daily dungeons and get some crystals

Speaking of, I'm burning my potions at a rapid pace to grab some Ice Crystals while they're here. My Icy Offering is at R3, and I would like it to be R4 for taking a stab at Syldra.

...I'm at 20/50 crystals right now, so that's probably not gonna happen tonight, but it's good to have more of those regardless. I'm probably gonna take a stab at her with R3, just to see the difference in how Laguna can act when he's not burning so many turns to get her to an acceptable level of ice weakness.

My god, the difference between the two Offerings is night and day, I swear.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    WoL's getting an AASB and realm chain and 6* glint. Usual AASB stuff but the different aspect is party holy damage +30%. Glint is 0CT last stand and self instacast 1.

Sarah joins the regenga club with her new USB. 0CT h85 Regenga self hqc. Interesting added effect is +holy damage to party if WoL is on team, +dark if Garland on on team, +holy and dark if both are.

pfyw13kym4in.jpg

I have no idea if this is reproducible, and I don't care. Whoo!

WoL's getting an AASB and realm chain and 6* glint. Usual AASB stuff but the different aspect is party holy damage +30%. Glint is 0CT last stand and self instacast 1.

Sarah joins the regenga club with her new USB. 0CT h85 Regenga self hqc. Interesting added effect is +holy damage to party if WoL is on team, +dark if Garland on on team, +holy and dark if both are.

Intriguing.

Does this effect stack with the field effect of a Chain? If so, Sarah's Ultra would really help improve the efficacy of Garland's and WOL's chains, or just really juice up the party in the FFI torment.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    At this point you're going to need Batman to stop me.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    oh....Torment's open. I don't know if I can 280 clear this one. I've got Aphmau USB, Shantotto CSB + BSB and Curilla USB. Talk about "Sinergy". They really should like give me a half off XI banner pull. Just because.

Is the Realm pull BSB upwards? Or did it include SSBs?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Burst or higher soul breaks, or Legend Materia.

So I did the Legend Dream Select.

3/11, 2 Discos. Aerith LMR dupe, Vayne OSB dupe (+Dark ATK/MAG sword), Kimahri USB (Water damage reflect)

I'll keep my Vayne swords separate, those are pretty handy. Overall an acceptable pull.

Grabbed Ignis's LMR, then immediately thought "What if I get it when I do the USB select draw? I am such an idiot."

So I pulled the USB select immediately and got...

1/11, 1 Disco (phew!) Ramza USB2! EnHoly, Quickcast cycle (Holy), and Chase Holy. Solid slew of effects, and most importantly, not Ignis's LMR.

Still between Squall USB2 for Syldra, or Fujin USB for Tortuga.

If it helps (until I got his Bubsy) USB2 is PRETTY godly. Works especially well with Laguna's chain.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    oh....Torment's open. I don't know if I can 280 clear this one. I've got Aphmau USB, Shantotto CSB + BSB and Curilla USB. Talk about "Sinergy". They really should like give me a half off XI banner pull. Just because.

Is the Realm pull BSB upwards? Or did it include SSBs?

You have much better items then me in most realms and I've been playing for three years. I barely beat the 240 sub30. Seraph didn't feel like casting shellga till the very end of the fight. Lousy magicite.

38thDoE on steam

oh man thanks @38thDoe , I suppose I should appreciate what I do have. Stupid work is getting in my way to play some FFRK (#firstworldproblems) but I'll get around to do them today.

I think you've got 280, just remember to put physical DPS in slots 1 and 5, throw in one off realm to replace dead weight and you should be okay.

38thDoE on steam

Hmm, FF11. I did draw on the Ayame BSB banner, but for the most part it's been Lucky Draws for stuff.

From assorted Lucky Draws, I'm packing:
    Shantotto Chain (useful, just not here)
    Curilla USB/BSB/SSB
    Ayame BSB/SSB/LMR
    Prishe BSB
    Lion USB/BSB/SSB
    Aphmau USB/BSB/LMR/LM1 (half dive, she was my 4* Magicite healer)
    Zeid big fat nothing

So my likely setup is:

Lion
    Curilla
    Aphmau
    Prishe
    Ayame

which should be fine, except the boss becomes immune to PHY damage at the beginning of phase 2, and I'm not sure if I can burst past it.

Seems like Shantotto is pretty necessary for this FF11 Torment. Protag power.

He becomes physical immune for, like, 5 seconds. This is no FFXII Paling bullshit. You can just turtle for that period and then resume when he’s done with that.

edited February 2019
    oh man, you know this might be a lousy year to do this (awesome Switch releases) but I might finally dive deep into FFXI just to experience it. Just so I can finally see what this Shantotto love is all about. I played it way back in the day but didn't get past the second Genkai.

lionheart_m on
    Jragghen wrote: Β»
    [i mg]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/2h/pfyw13kym4in.jpg[/img]

I have no idea if this is reproducible, and I don't care. Whoo!

Now that I'm not laying in bed, here's how I threaded the needle:

Larsa is with USB, and actually kitted as entrust bot. TGCid. Dived, but it didn't matter.
    Alph has SSB and USB, Lunar Leviathan and Pogostick. Dived.
    Strago has BSB and LMR, chain waterja and chain waterga. Dived.
    Aerith has USB2, shellga, and curada. Dived.
    OK has mUSB and LMR, vortex, and protectga. Dived

Larsa uses his USB a grand total of once in the entire fight, which blocks the berserk (and also gives high regen which is nice), but otherwise just entrusts to Aerith.
    Alph cases SSB at the start of the fight, does summons til he has bar, does USB (which does 0 damage on entry, but it has damage boost on the summons, and ends with a bunch of 9999s), re-ups SSB once
    Strago does what you'd expect
    Aerith also does what you'd expect
    OK ALSO does what you'd expect.

One of Strago or Aerith's LM2 needs to process once within the first three attacks from Belias. It's at the start, and is a reasonable "randomness" to deal with. After that point, the fight is all about managing meter to Aerith so she can re-up last stand at specific points which are needed. The problem is that I've got 3 people with different dualcast attacks, one "medica when hit" and one "medica after white magic" randomness in there, so I don't know if the end result was due to alignment of random things, or if I've got some room.

I DID mess up in-reupping OK's mUSB at one point, so my damage dropped off a cliff for a few turns, so I think I actually could have killed him with everyone alive a good 5-6s earlier, so that's nice.

So there you have it: Belias down with no chain, no OSB, no water-specific USB.

edited February 2019
    I talked up mythril, and decided that I’ll sfill have enough to draw on KH 3 times if we get a half-off banner pull again, and twice if not. Which was enough to entice me into one more FFVIII draw, because Syldra is just the worst.

3/11, 2 discos.

Selphie Burst 2 ( Medica + Res buff, standard instaCuraja and Medica commands). Definitely better than when she just had Dreamstage.

Quistis Ultra (MAG/ATK/DEF buff, Haste, and 2000 stock HP to the team.) Not too shabby for someone with an instant-start Dive and access to Wrath: she could presumably carry Ace Striker and get the team going before turn 1, even without Mako Might

Squall Arcane!: (3-hit Ice Overstrike) yes please! This might be enough damage to skip a phase vs Syldra and not hit her Enrage phase quite so soon.

If this works out, it’ll definitely be worth losing a pull on KH.

Edit:

Also, you know I’m going to do the stubborn thing and use Quistis’s Ultra to supplement my Bio team.

Enlong on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm super stacked in XI thanks to dungeon updates and lucky draws deciding I need to have almost all of the stuff that exists prior to today's event, so I blew away the first two difficulties. Sub-30 on the middle difficulty, even though two of my DPS had to wait for Phoenix to revive them, ha.

Surviving on the D$$$ is proving a challenge. Since I don't have Aphmau's ultra (or Ayame's SSB, for that matter), Aphmau has to juggle Hastega and keeping everyone topped off, which is problematic. The good news is Shantotto hits like a truck, even with just the 5* witch ability. So if I ever figure out the survival part, I can probably make some good progress.

edit: tweaked setup, went a little too defensive, ran out of hones on everybody and died with boss at 70%

edit2: found the balance:
    1jz5bQJl.jpg

Lion USB+BSB, Flash Disaster R4, Burn Assault R4
    Curilla USB+SSB, Protectga, Healing Smite R5, Dr. Mog's
    Aphmau BSB, Hastega, Curada, Gathering Storm
    Shantotto USB, Chain Thundaga, Hell Thunder R5
    Prishe SSB, Shellga, Fire Ironfist R4, Mako Might

Fry on
    Fry wrote: Β»
    I'm super stacked in XI thanks to dungeon updates and lucky draws deciding I need to have almost all of the stuff that exists prior to today's event, so I blew away the first two difficulties. Sub-30 on the middle difficulty, even though two of my DPS had to wait for Phoenix to revive them, ha.

Surviving on the D$$$ is proving a challenge. Since I don't have Aphmau's ultra (or Ayame's SSB, for that matter), Aphmau has to juggle Hastega and keeping everyone topped off, which is problematic. The good news is Shantotto hits like a truck, even with just the 5* witch ability. So if I ever figure out the survival part, I can probably make some good progress.

If you've got Prishe's SSB, that thing does good work, too.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, someone on reddit got the day one sub-30 with a surprisingly small amount of XI gear. The big keys are Aphmau USB, Shantotto USB, and Curilla USB. Unfortunately I don't have Aphmau USB so I can't go nearly as fast.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    It really seems like you need prishe ssb or aphmau usb to have any shot st the ???, just too hard otherwise.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    iufp01gspupf.png

I can probably get the time down but :effort:

Beasteh on
    Woo! I killed Syldra once! Thank you Icy Offering! It was ICE to have you along! This makes future planning quite a bit easier. USB Dream Selection can help me kill Tortuga.

Watching Laguna W-cast Icy Offering and have Syldra go from 0 stacks to 4 stacks of imperil is a sight to behold. Ended up with a 37 and change second kill, but it could probably be fine tuned a bit. Ignis also having his LMR made a huge deal it hitting critical mass faster and stacking enough buffs simultaneously to chew through most of Syldra's HP. Then I just rode Ice Damage Reflect through phase 3, with some chip from the team.

The squad:
    Ignis Wrath/Entrust (BSB) DMT (LMR)
    Squall SSS x2 (BSB2, Glint, USB1) TGM (LM2, LMR)
    Aerith Curada/Shellga (USB2) MM (LM1, 2)
    Laguna Icy Offering/Freezing Snipe (CSB, USB) +DMG (LM2, LMR)
    Snow Icicle Rush/Banishing Strike (USB1, BSB1) +DMG
    Wall/Manticore (+Ice x2)
    Mateus (Spell Ward/Dampen Wind)/Phoenix (Blade/Spell Wards)/Siren (+Crit)/Evrae (+HP)

Wind resist on everyone, Major on Aerith. Lots of Crystal Water on Squall/Laguna so they can survive the opening Thundaja without a heal. +Ice Armor on the three DPS. +Ice Gun on Laguna. +MND on Ignis.

Ignis does BSB, C2 twice on Laguna so he has 100% Crit/Crit damage, then C2 on Squall to power out extra Lowen Roars. After BSB wears off, Entrust to Aerith, then Wrath/Entrust to Aerith.
    Squall summons Wall, SSS until BSB2, C1 until 3 stacks (hope for a W-cast), then spam C2. Once it falls off, Glint, then USB1, SSS x2, repeat until out of meter, then just SSS. This might need some optimization. There might be enough time to go back into BSB2, not sure.
    Aerith does Shellga, wait a tec for Thundaja, then USB2. Then just spam Curada, reapply USB2 as you need Guts. I should probably figure out how to alternate with Snow's Guts though, since it was redundant several times.
    Laguna spams Offering until he has an SB bar, then Chain, keep Offering until 6 stacks of Imperil, then switch to Snipe. Alternate USB/refresh CSB as needed.
    Snow Dispels, spam Icicle Rush, summon Magicite when it's up, USB1 when he has a bar, then Icicle Rush/BSB1 as needed for damage/Guts. Make sure to knock Haste off when phase 3 comes.

Not sure if I should go back and farm more, or wait until KH drops next week. We'll see. I do want to get started on Tortuga. Still, let me reproduce the kill first, then think about farming it.

Got off my butt and got my last Phoenix. I’m going to be sad when it hits 99 and I have to try and get something else to level.

38thDoE on steam

edited February 2019
    Fuckin' finally! A Syldra kill!

Icy Offering was a tremendous boon to this fight, as is Squall's Arcane (provided I use it at the right time; it's best used when she's out of Rage, rather than to pop a Rage). It also helped for me to shift my thinking on when to recast Onion's ultra; doing it early when the damage isn't horrific is better than waiting for it to expire on its own. It's not the most consistent thing in the world, seeing as it still rides on Laguna's imperil luck and Squall's dualcast luck, but it can be reproduced, which is good enough for me for now.

This means I can draw on the KH event without worrying about pinning my hopes for a clear on Sora.

edit:

Hell yes! Four Syldras! I'm done! I'm free! I... now have to worry about Adamantoise, but whatever!

Enlong on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Threw 50 mythril at XI, because I am severely lacking in that realm (my best things are Lion USB, Shantotto CSB, Curilla USB1, and a handful of BSBs). My only dupes is Aphmau BSB.

100-gem: 3* trash.
    2/11, two discos: Ayame USB, Lilisette USB! Nice, just what I needed!

Ayame USB isn't the hottest (har har), but it's still a decent improvement over her BSB. Lilisette USB, on the other hand, is awesome. Having her chase trigger off of both Celerity and Dancer is great.

Darklyre on
    edited February 2019
    Hm. So Prishe is a Lightning Monk, now? Is there even an Ironfist Lightning ability on the horizon?

Oh wait, duh. She has max Celerity (did she always?) so she can just use that. It doesn't really work with her old Burst, but that's kinda fallen by the wayside along with basically every other piece of Non-elemental tech. Her legend dive being just Dualcast Monk doesn't really help her with lightning unless she uses Spark Rush, though.

Enlong on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm really tempted to do a pull for nostalgia; I vaguely remember when saving up for a Scorpion Harness was a big deal back in the early days of XI.

I wonder how many old fans would pull if they put out some Leaping Boots or Peacock Charms or something, heh.

Four Belias down!

I'm going to have to post that one in the clear thread.

This discussion has been closed.