As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Deer is probably gonna be my choice. The area sounds cool with being a collection of smaller places all working together. The character looks cool and he has the appearance of having a fun personality.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I am tentatively excited for this. As long as the gameplay is good I can stomach whatever else dredges up (hi, Fates). I'm curious if they're going to go for more of an Awakening or Old School/Fates:Conquest style gameplay, or try for something in-between?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Judging from the E3 footage from last year, it looks pretty new and fresh to me. Having large numbers of common soldiers appear on the battlefield, even just as visual fluff already gives this game a very unique look.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I also gotta say how thankful I am that they are making an ANIME ass game in a school setting where the player character is NOT A STUDENT.

They somehow fought the urge to make the player character a kid. That is so great.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I also gotta say how thankful I am that they are making an ANIME ass game in a school setting where the player character is NOT A STUDENT.

They somehow fought the urge to make the player character a kid. That is so great.

Oh wow, that actually didn't even dawn on me.

Man, I bet they probably spent a month meditating under a waterfall to get that kind of self control.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The main character is definitely of age with their students—they are themselves initially mistaken for a student, based on dialogue in the trailer

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hmm, looking at the trailer again the combat looks like Shadows of Valentia + to me.

Also, looks like the Units level up, their job class levels up, and then their battalion levels up. I'm guessing Battalion is the unnamed generic soldiers that fight almost Advance Wars style during some of the battles in the video.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Is the main character locked as a male or will there be a female option?

And do we know if there will be any customization options like hair color/style and so forth?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The main character is definitely of age with their students—they are themselves initially mistaken for a student, based on dialogue in the trailer

Mistaken for a student does not mean the same age as their students.

A reminder as well that when you are a high school student that is potentially 18 years old you can have teacher a mere couple years older than you.

I have no doubt they will still be young, it's still a japanese game. But that they are not the student in a school based anime game is crazy.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

And do we know if there will be any customization options like hair color/style and so forth?

There is the option to play as a male or female version of the character

A reminder as well that when you are a high school student that is potentially 18 years old you can have teacher a mere couple years older than you.

Would you like to make a bet?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah I got the feeling your character was barely older than the other students, just from that one shot in the trailer where the MC is walking with the three house protags some distance behind Jeralt.

• Options

Ohhhh this takes me back to making sig bets for MMA fights on here!

So yes this sounds fun actually!

• Options

All right. In that case, how about this:

I'm betting that the main character, the child of Jeralt, is more-or-less of age with the students they teach, and that the only real difference is their perspective/experience as a mercenary. This age similarity will be brought up in dialogue at least once.

I'll bet avatar control for six weeks.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wonder if they are going to shove child time shenanigans into this one.

MC has the Ike background, the Sasuke / Sasukette look, and chosen soul thing all going on at once. Then he gets to be the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and pick who wins the House Cup, and which student to seduce. We're covering a lot of fantasies at once here.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options

All right. In that case, how about this:

I'm betting that the main character, the child of Jeralt, is more-or-less of age with the students they teach, and that the only real difference is their perspective/experience as a mercenary. This age similarity will be brought up in dialogue at least once.

I'll bet avatar control for six weeks.

I'm gonna say at least 2 years older than the students.

I'll request that I can just do a signature message because I am not creative enough for an avatar but I fully accept you doing an avatar for me should I lose because that could be quite funny.

I accept the the six weeks.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    It's very, very, very rare for characters in Fire Emblem to be given concrete ages in the text. It might not be possible for you to win based on that condition.

...Also I'd argue that 2 years older than 17 or whatever is "more-or-less of age"

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Oh shit do they not use hard ages for FE games? I'm so used to jrpgs given ages for every character I just assumed they did. hmmmmm. How to do this.

My post did say that I expect them to be young so I'm not expecting the MC to be 30 because well that's a grizzled vet in anime land. And also why I was saying in real life a teach can be like 3-4 years older than a student.

I'm basically expecting the students to be like 15-17 and the MC to be somewhere between 18-21

• Options
    edited February 2019
    They almost never do, no, which is why I outlined it the way I did: I'm betting on at least one student going, "but you're the same age as us," or possibly, "but you're barely any older than we are"

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    There is also going to be a token loli student/professor that looks 12 but is actually 20+ or an ageless dragon or some bullshit like that.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    There is also going to be a token loli student/professor that looks 12 but is actually 20+ or an ageless dragon or some bullshit like that.

time to bring back the spray bottle from the League thread I think, don't give Intelligent Systems any more ideas :rotate:

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Thoughts on the trailer/extended look:

-It seems like you can only choose a male of female Byleth. I'm assuming the lack of customisation is so they can be present in the cutscenes. The female Byleth design is pretty terrible when you pause and look at it - belly button window, short-shorts, and ugly "torn" leggings.

-When the video goes over the Three Houses, you get group shots of the Black Eagles and Golden Deers, but the Blue Lions are still a little hidden as there are only action shots with Dimitri. Later, they appear in a classroom.
    Black Eagles: Bernadetta (short purple hair), Dorothea (jaunty cap), Casper (cyan hair), Ferdinand (orange hair), Petra (purple ponytail), Linhardt (green hair). Black/blue hair emo dude.
    Golden Deer: Hilda (pink pigtails + eyes), Raphael (guy who can't fit in shirt), Leonie (waste-tied orange shirt). Blonde bowl cut + glasses, sharp face blue slant hair, white long hair, white up do.
    Blue Lions: Sylvain (red hair), Mercedes (light brown hair), Annette (orange hair rings), Ashe (grey hair). Huge tanned white haired dude, blonde girl, second orange haired girl, brown haired boy.
    There's also a blue-Japanese-hair-bun dude fighting with Dimitri, but he's not present in the classroom with the other Blue Lions. Maybe he's another professor (alongside monocle-moustache man and showing-a-lot-of-leg-for-a-teacher lady)? Seems kind of young though. Plus, there appeared to be nine people among the Blue Lions, while there are only eight among the Black Eagles and Golden Deer, so maybe I've got it wrong. Anyway, I think y'all are sleeping on the Blue Lions a bit.

-Combat Arts seem to be returning from SoV (which is awesome) as we see Bernadetta have the option to use Curved Shot. And weapon degradation is back after sitting out the last two games. Interestingly, it seems that Combat Arts use up the weapon faster (ie Curved Shot taking an extra three "uses") rather than SoV's method of costing HP.

-Weapon ranks are totally redone, and seem to be called Professor Levels. Added in to the usual Swords, Axes, Lances, and Bows, are Fighting (hand combat), Reason (attacking magic), Faith (healing magic), Authority, Heavy Armour, Riding, and Flying. It appears that characters will have two natural Goals/Focuses (ie Linhardt has Reason and Faith) and then two Focuses that you can set however you want. In what we're shown, it looks like Linhardt (a level 6 Noble) has had her Custom Focuses set to also be Reason and Faith, resulting in her having a greyed out E+ Reason, and a green D Faith (while every other P-Level is an untouched E). The player then changes the Custom Focuses to be Faith and Riding. So, while every character has innate areas that they will improve on, you can customise as you wish.

-It seems like all of your characters start as the Noble class, differentiated at first only by their natural Focuses. One screen shot of Petra suggests the Noble class maxes out at lvl 40. Once you have an appropriate item and reached required P-Levels, your unit can take an exam to promote into a new class, which will presumably have new P-Level caps. (It's interesting that there's a P-Level in Flying, but when Edelgard is choosing a class to promote to there are no flyers available.) We see her promote to a Brigand, requiring an Intermediate Seal and a C-Rank in her Axe P-Level. I assume Knights will require Armour, Cavaliers Riding, and so on. Maybe certain classes will require special Seals?

-There are enemies called Western Church Soldier. Religious war plot?

-The troops your characters have seem to be called their Battalion, and can level up independently. Besides formations (which we didn't see here, but were in the E3 trailer) it seems like your Battalion doesn't have to be the same type as the unit, as later there's what looks like Edelgard as a Mercenary or Hero with an "Assault Troop" of Cavaliers. There was also another shot where she's surrounded by a mix of swordsmen/women and lancers.

-It looks like a version of Mila's Turnwheel is returning from SoV. (We see Byleth take an axe to the back, screen goes funny, and he's undone it). Thank god. That was a great feature.

-I always like the visual stylings of Fire Emblem games, taking very sterotypical European looks and running them through an anime filter. This game seems to have a lot of that locked down. My only concern is that the costumes of the characters seem to all be very similar. This is natural, as they're students in uniform, but it's still a little funny how heavily hair is being used to differentiate between people. I am given hope though, as there are a couple of scenes later on with characters (even Byleth) wearing different outfits (including in their cutouts).

-At the end there's some quick shots of some crazy stuff, including a super-evil looking mage guy, a guy in a plague doctor mask chucking fire balls, someone with a lazer sword, a possible fire emblem leaking energy, and Church of Seiros lady looking creepy. So hopefully things will get nuts.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Anna is going to be running the Bursar's Office, isn't she

• Options
    I expect the the Protag and the three mains to be in a vague 17-19 range.

Though they could all very well be the same age, but my anime senses are telling me they're probably not. If I had to guess I'd say,

Dimitri looks like he has his shit together and is likely the oldest.

Edelgard also looks like she has her shit together too, but being the lone female there is no way she is the oldest and guaranteed to be younger than the Protag.

Claude has that young and fun loving look about him. Which leads me to suspect he is likely younger than the others.

The Protag I would say has the possibility to be about the same age as Dimitri.

• Options
    The visual style of this game reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy Type-0. Even though the characters are separated into 3 houses, there is still a very strong thematic look to all of them. Military school uniforms. I like it. I loved T0, so this video actually has me pretty hyped.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I really like how I can actually see the units on the battlegrounds this time round but then again that means I pretty much have to buy a new console huh
    Please be more affordable mini switch

• Options
    SilverWind brought up that the school arc might end a few missions in, which is hinted at in the original trailer, and there may be a time skip after that

Which means we may not have actually seen everyone's final designs, yet

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The visual style of this game reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy Type-0. Even though the characters are separated into 3 houses, there is still a very strong thematic look to all of them. Military school uniforms. I like it. I loved T0, so this video actually has me pretty hyped.

You should look in to Trails of Cold Steel if you haven't already.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Huh. I just realised: no sign of Staves. (The Heal they use is a Faith tome.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Well, even if there's no time skip there is certainly the possibility of the students changing their costumes when they return home to their respective nations.

If the game devolves into a 3 way war, each nation might have its own military look to go along with the national army.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Huh. I just realised: no sign of Staves. (The Heal they use is a Faith tome.)

It's possible they have both, but we'll see I guess

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    SilverWind brought up that the school arc might end a few missions in, which is hinted at in the original trailer, and there may be a time skip after that

I do wonder if there is gonna be some midgame event that causes the groups to combine.

I'm sure we haven't seen all the unit characters but as is each of your class sizes seem small for a FE game.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I do wonder if there is gonna be some midgame event that causes the groups to combine.

I'm sure we haven't seen all the unit characters but as is each of your class sizes seem small for a FE game.

I kinda expect things to work out like this;

Pick a House, do some fun training missions in the vein of war games between the Houses.

Shit gets real and the students of all three Houses band together.

Protag and Students act as a fourth faction that ends up fighting each of the three kingdoms.

The three kingdoms are probably warring against each other based on bad intel.

The Protag and Students try to stop the three kingdoms from fighting each other and focus on the Real Threat(tm)

• Options
    Turns out in the end its a dragon's fault somewhere.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Talith wrote: »
    Turns out in the end its a dragon's fault somewhere.

Pretty much :P I'm still calling the vibe I got from the first trailer that the religion is corrupt. Maybe green-hair Emerynn is taking orders from a crazy dragon and starting wars and shit. With them running the school, I bet it's gonna be like, you find out you've been working for the bad guys, kinda...

Oh also. Saw it pointed out while watching the Mangs/Mekkah reaction/analysis stream. There's a scene in the trailer where there's like a weird negative color effect and things seem to flash into the avatar blocking some brigand boss axe. Basically a lot like Shulk's visions in Xenoblade. If you slow it down, you can see the avatar is actually hit (and killed?) by the axe, but then time rewinds and he blocks it. There's a veeeeeery good chance this is basically Mila's Turnwheel. They mention the avatar discovers he has a special power and I wonder if this is it. He has the ability to see the future or rewind time or something. Probably related to dragon loli living in his head. (who I swear looks like Myrrh and Tiki had a baby... I wanna call her Myrrki :3)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The religion being corrupt is very Shadows of Valentia-ish, and that game is my favorite in series. Specifically the Echoes version. I haven't played the original.

But man, I love the more hardcore RPG elements of Shadows of Valentia. Dungeon diving, roaming monsters in the hallways, all of that just really struck a chord with me more than the other games in the series have, which are only 3. I've played only the 3DS ones.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Oh were we arguing about student/teacher ages in here? I'm 100% sure it's going to be a mixed-age class, maybe even with some students older than you.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    The Collector's Edition is available on Amazon right now. Everywhere else is currently sold out.

• Options
    Collector's Edition?!

Let us be off to the internet! I must see this for myself!

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »
    The Collector's Edition is available on Amazon right now. Everywhere else is currently sold out.

boy i sure would like to own the fancy edition of one of these games someday

fuck's sake

This discussion has been closed.