As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] My Better Brexit Deal Goes To Another School

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Meanwhile in The Netherlands:

Dutch govt introduces a new mascot for their "are you prepared for Brexit?" informational campaign.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Because Brexit isn't very important and Parliament has tons of spare time an MP has requested an emergency debate about Churchill, presumably to make a pompous speech about him after John McDonnell called him a villain (specifically because of the Tonypandy riots).

There are excellent grounds for calling Churchill a villain for lots of things (and also excellent grounds for calling him a hero for lots of other things), and the unthinking hero-worship is dumb, but stepping into this sort of controversy is something I'd want McDonnell to be able to avoid. Does he have no political instincts at all? Not least I'm annoyed because I'm sure if someone said Chairman Mao: hero or villain he'd um and ah over it.

Boris Johnson will no doubt see it as an opportunity to try and plug his awful biography of the man in question. It gives red meat to the Tories and ammunition for anyone looking to paint Labour as being led by people who don't really seem to like the country they're trying to lead very much.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    No one has posted the Dutch Governments official Brexit muppet mascot? Okay I'll break the ice.

I'm just surprised they didn't make it look like boris.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47237371

_105644256_mediaitem105644254.jpg

E: bugger, i see i was beaten

Casual on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Dutch govt introduces a new mascot for their "are you prepared for Brexit?" informational campaign.

This is so absolutely comical. Britain doesn't even have an idea on how to title the first chapter of the book of basics of Brexit, the Netherlands are so far that they have spare time for a silly mascot.

Truly staggering, unbelievable amount of malicious incompetence

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Man, all we had in Ireland was a crisis government meeting the day the results were announced, an action plan for the first 60 days, a crisis management team to deal with issues going forward, a negotiation team to analyze the red lines for the entire EU and link up our red lines with every other nation with the same red lines, National Brexit business roadshows to promote awareness and preparedness for businesses of all sizes, thousands in grants and hundreds of thousands in no interest loans to provide practical support to businesses who will struggle once Britain leaves. Why didn’t we get a mascot?!

• Options

Political editor of the Sun. That same confident ignorance and amateurish stupidity shows no sign of dying out in the newer Tory MPs. Make a big tough boy speech, inadvertently knacker the trade talks. The next Chris Grayling.

• Options
    From the Guardian blog on the current debate.
    Shailesh Vara, a Conservative, says the UK is negotiating the biggest business deal in its history. It has to hold its nerve, and not rule out a no deal, because the EU will give in at the last minute, he says.

Jesus wept. They're so desperately certain the EU will give in, because if it doesn't they're fucked. And us as well, of course.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Starting to get the sense these people REALLY overestimate how much the rest of the world is willing to put up with their shit.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Political editor of the Sun. That same confident ignorance and amateurish stupidity shows no sign of dying out in the newer Tory MPs. Make a big tough boy speech, inadvertently knacker the trade talks. The next Chris Grayling.

ah yes, who would have thought that becoming an international trade supplicant would make a foreign policy based on bravado serve you badly?

needing other governments to help us must be this global Britain and taking back control ive heard so much about

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Shailesh Vara, a Conservative, says the UK is negotiating the biggest business deal in its history. It has to hold its nerve, and not rule out a no deal, because the EU will give in at the last minute, he says.

Jesus wept. They're so desperately certain the EU will give in, because if it doesn't they're fucked. And us as well, of course.

Yes the EU that is so wracked with anxiety it’s making muppets to poke fun at the UK...

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Man, all we had in Ireland was a crisis government meeting the day the results were announced, an action plan for the first 60 days, a crisis management team to deal with issues going forward, a negotiation team to analyze the red lines for the entire EU and link up our red lines with every other nation with the same red lines, National Brexit business roadshows to promote awareness and preparedness for businesses of all sizes, thousands in grants and hundreds of thousands in no interest loans to provide practical support to businesses who will struggle once Britain leaves. Why didn’t we get a mascot?!

Hey now, I'm sure we can work out a trade deal so you can have it in your campaign as well on the weekends.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

sun pol editor

things starting off well I see

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

sun pol editor

No deal was always going to be on the table for one of two reasons,

1) May is still playing chicken and hoping the other side will swerve first in which case she needs no deal to act as the on coming vehicle

or

2) May has lost the plot, decided deal is impossible and hard brexit is THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE and is now simply running down the clock to make it happen

Either way May will never ever rule it out as long as she is PM.

• Options
    zbu5xjahmqfn.png

good work ken clarke

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

A red, white, and blue Brexit.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    It's like a svelte, blue Gritty.
    I love it

sig.gif
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

sun pol editor

No deal was always going to be on the table for one of two reasons,

1) May is still playing chicken and hoping the other side will swerve first in which case she needs no deal to act as the on coming vehicle

or

2) May has lost the plot, decided deal is impossible and hard brexit is THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE and is now simply running down the clock to make it happen

Either way May will never ever rule it out as long as she is PM.

Well, hard Brexit is the will of the Parliament + Corbyn. So at this point, everybody is just gearing up for it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Ladies and jellyspoons, my MP. *weeps*

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Ladies and jellyspoons, my MP. *weeps*

Could be worse.
    Andrea Leadsom has just read out a Valentines Day poem in the Commons..

The Leader of the House said:
    Labour is red
    Tories are blue
    Our future is bright
    With a good deal in sight
    For the UK and our friends in the EU

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    *screaming intensifies*

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Apart from anything else, she should be banished from the Kingdom for the terrible scansion.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Famously thick as two short planks. And in today's Tory party it takes real effort to stand out from the general crowd of bumbling, shouty dimness.

God I would so dearly love both major parties to split. Get all your idiots and your swivel eyed loons and pack them into their own separate asylums. For a brand new party whose watchword is basic, boring middle of the road competence or something.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    That can't be real, is too stupid.

Nevermind. Though some answers on that thread are on the mark:

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This whole thing puts me in mind of an angry customer trying to impress upon a bemused clerk that they deserve special treatment (and fawning deference) simply because they're England.
    Completely blind to the looks they're getting from everyone behind them in the queue, including the rest of their party (Ireland et al), as they demand to see the manager.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Famously thick as two short planks. And in today's Tory party it takes real effort to stand out from the general crowd of bumbling, shouty dimness.

God I would so dearly love both major parties to split. Get all your idiots and your swivel eyed loons and pack them into their own separate asylums. For a brand new party whose watchword is basic, boring middle of the road competence or something.

My fear in that scenario is the lunatics would win the election. The British electorate have proven themselves to be pretty thick lately tbh, I mean it goes without saying all those frothing loons got elected into office...

• Options
    edited February 2019
    erg has decided to abstain... interesting

EDIT: or split on it? who knows

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Split, apparently.

Political correspondent for The Guardian.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Gov motion defeated by 45????? now wat

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular

Nothing.

• Options
    she will turn up, say my deal or no deal, go to Brussels, get nothing, things continue as is until Feb 27 as all flail around

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

*Blairism intensifies*

• Options
    I’d vote for Sooty if he came out and said Brexit was a stupid fucking idea.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Apparently language isn't just like a bike, because I can apparently no longer read Dutch.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Ominous.

(I'm only posting this because I'm inclined to believe that politics home would be among the first with gossip, if there is gossip to be had)

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Nothing.

The wheel keeps turning until the deadline hits and they go into a hard brexit. Honestly at this point I don't see how there is any option other than hard brexit. Clearly there is not a strong enough coalition to vote for any action that would impact that and so the default no deal seems to be the only possible outcome at this point.

• Options
    japan wrote: »

Ominous.

(I'm only posting this because I'm inclined to believe that politics home would be among the first with gossip, if there is gossip to be had)

Twitter is absolutely rife with rumors that Chuka Umunna and a number of others are about to quit the Labour Party, but I saw Kevin’s tweet as suggesting something was going to happen with the Tories. Something else I mean, besides the disastrous vote today.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    That’s less than half an hour from now, yes?

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Ominous.

Twitter is absolutely rife with rumors that Chuka Umunna and a number of others are about to quit the Labour Party, but I saw Kevin’s tweet as suggesting something was going to happen with the Tories. Something else I mean, besides the disastrous vote today.

I can see a lot of people from both parties getting more and more disaffected as we get closer to the cliff. Expect shenanigans

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    What do they need to do to change the 1922 committee rules that stop May getting kicked out?

• Options
    Yeah it is. And okay the gossip is that Chuka and several MPs from Labour are quitting at the same time Anna Soubry and several from the Tories are quitting, to form a new anti-Brexit party.

This is ALL just gossip. I can’t pin down a source. But base level British political Twitter is absolutely melting down with it, with each side attacking their “defectors” before anything is even confirmed. Even if it all turns out to be a pack of lies, it shows a very sorry state of affairs.

This discussion has been closed.