As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone is playing [Hollow Knight]

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    There is an ability you can get later that will let you teleport to a location you set. So that's something you can use to get back to town quickly.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    And there's the travel stations, of course.

One thing that's useful is that if you quit to title and reload your save, you start on the last bench you rested on, which can be useful if you'd otherwise need to backtrack back to it to get where you want to go.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    So if I'm out in the world and save/quit, when I reload I'm at the last bench, with all progress and money and such intact?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Yes.

• Options
    I guess as long as I don't die that's a good workaround. So far I've only died on boss type things...but they also like to spring those out of nowhere.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    With that tip, the game has become much more playable. I assumed the save/quit would just reload me wherever I was standing, like Dark Souls. Being able to warp back to the bench by the fast travel changes everything. It no longer feels like (as much of) a chore to explore new areas, farm money or visit a distant vendor.

I'm about 9 hours in and it took about 8 to get my character to control how I'd like. At least it became an option, but locking it away like this didn't feel good.
    Having to dedicate my entire set of charms to making the map work, character not bounce around constantly and have a 'safe' attacking distance isn't fun when the ones I'm not able to equip all give way cooler perks. The game just felt bad to play without all these charms equipped.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Been playing through this game at a slow-ish pace, and just went I think the deepest you can into this game and fought a boss down there.

And now
    Oh my shit, what happened to the crossroads!? Did I release this or something? I know the infection/corruption is a thing, but I'm paranoid that I'm taking too long to go fight the dreamers or something now.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Been playing through this game at a slow-ish pace, and just went I think the deepest you can into this game and fought a boss down there.

And now
    Oh my shit, what happened to the crossroads!? Did I release this or something? I know the infection/corruption is a thing, but I'm paranoid that I'm taking too long to go fight the dreamers or something now.

It's not a time based thing

Story spoilers, but it's stuff you could've put together by now?
    the dreamers are holding back the plague, killing them is weakening the seal

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

And now

I think the Crossroads also gets infected if you kill the Broken Vessel, which it sounds like Dys did. The seal is failing regardless.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

And now

I think the Crossroads also gets infected if you kill the Broken Vessel, which it sounds like Dys did. The seal is failing regardless.
    Yup. On my recent playthrough that happened. It's to drive home that the current seal is failing and will fail regardless of your actions. Also to give a taste of how scary a fully unleashed infection might be.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Cancelling dinner reservations to kill some bugs.

• Options
    The first look is coming on the 14th, mind. Not the DLC itself.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    This will be a good excuse for me to pick Hollow Knight up again. I’ve wanted to revisit it but haven’t felt that inclined to tackle post-game content or start a new file.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    The game ended at 107% as far as I know man, there isn't anything at all after that
    Nothing
    None

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Cant wait for it to be even harder than their last shit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What kind of charms does Hornet get to use

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    braceletdiy_comparison_0.jpg

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    It's not a DLC, it's a full sequel!

https://youtu.be/pFAknD_9U7c

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I am so down for this. I do hope it doesn't go for some of the more... super-brutal that Gods & Glory doled out, I couldn't get past the third pantheon. I thought NKG was about the sweet spot of "very hard, but still do-able with time".

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    God how does it already have THAT MANY new art assets

How the fuck do these people crank out as much video game as they do

• Options

I assume they've been working on this since last year in some capacity. They hired on a third programmer around this time so it isn't just the two original Team Cherry folk

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I assume they've been working on this since last year in some capacity. They hired on a third programmer around this time so it isn't just the two original Team Cherry folk

Yeah but even so

Like, even just vanilla hollow knight is gigantic for the size of the team working on it

• Options
    Look at it this way. They already have the game engine done, so their development pipeline is already much faster and I'm sure Ari has been doing something with his time since they finished with Hollow Knight's original art stuff and it hasn't been just the DLC content.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game is smaller in scope than Hollow Knight was however.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Sure didn’t look like it would be smaller from the trailer!

• Options
    Smaller is relative given the width and breadth of Hallownest!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    man that looks great

I worry it will ruin original Hollow Knight though cause Hornet looks like way more fun to control

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    man that looks great

I worry it will ruin original Hollow Knight though cause Hornet looks like way more fun to control

To be fair there are a couple power ups the HK gets that make it super fun to move around

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    man that looks great

To be fair there are a couple power ups the HK gets that make it super fun to move around

Yeah, it's hard for me to picture navigating hollow knight without the mantis claw now.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I am all about Hornet's version of Soul being her spool of thread.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Incidentally, I really love how Hornet's thread ties into her character
    with how she was raised by spiders and uses the thread to mimic their webbing. It's such a neat detail.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So, I've just fought Hornet at
    Kingdom's Edge
    and I'm just making sure before I proceed that I'm not anywhere near a point of no return.

Current status:
    No Dreamers have been defeated yet. I'm just doing some exploring first, but I want to make sure I don't screw myself over.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    So, I've just fought Hornet at
    Kingdom's Edge
    and I'm just making sure before I proceed that I'm not anywhere near a point of no return.

Current status:
    No Dreamers have been defeated yet. I'm just doing some exploring first, but I want to make sure I don't screw myself over.

The game doesn't really contain any "point of no return". The one small caveat is that, if you prepare for the "100%" ending, you won't have access to the first ending. Content-wise, though, there's not really anything there, just an achievement.

There are also a few instances where you have to make a choice one way or another with certain characters. The impact of these choices are mostly just achievements and minor character beats, with the exception of one of the DLCs:
    When doing Grimm's chores, there will be an extra objective target at one point. Going with the option presented there means you skip a (very good) boss fight entirely.

• Options
    The main missable thing in terms of a nice story scene is
    that you want to beat Hornet in Kingdom's Edge before doing the dreamer in Deepnest.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Eh, there's plenty of small missable character scenes if you don't talk with everyone and whatnot. Imagine missing Myla the first time around, for instance. Cloth even has an alternate ending of sorts, and Zote's a whole thing.

Think Dark Souls side characters but a bit better.

Also the super-secret truest true ending is locked behind some stupidly hard content in the Godmaster DLC that you might just want to look up on youtube if it annoys you too much.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    The main missable thing in terms of a nice story scene is
    that you want to beat Hornet in Kingdom's Edge before doing the dreamer in Deepnest.

That is good and bad to hear
    Good: hooray, I won't miss a cool thing!

Bad: Shit, I'm going to have to stop putting off going back into Deepnest. Fucking Mimics scared me off good last time, and now it's goddamn Spiders o'clock!

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Deepnest is the best worst. But I’ve said this before.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Deepnest is the best worst. But I’ve said this before.

It's the noises. All of them, ambient and creature. I'm glad I chose not to wear my good headphones while playing this, because Deepnest would have me throwing them across the room.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    The deepnest is extra terrifying if you run into it like I did, before having upgraded your nail once. Everything takes forever to die, and its unrelenting sometimes.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    The deepnest is extra terrifying if you run into it like I did, before having upgraded your nail once. Everything takes forever to die, and its unrelenting sometimes.

going before getting the lamp is bad news

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1