As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Played the demo. Feels weird as heck! Gonna take a lot of time to adjust, I think. Played too much DMC4SE.

For some reason Nero's helm splitter has been remapped to back rather than forward on the stick.

I like his new reload mechanic in place of charge shot, but can't figure out if there's a way to reload and hold all three shots. Seems like the input demands you fire off the first one when you release it.

And the new Breaker mechanic is probably gonna replace holding a charge shot...

Found it pretty hard to hit SSS. Sorry for judging, gorm journos

Yeah, the first charge shot will fire as soon as you let go and the only way around that will be to remap the controls in the full game to make charge holding easier, assuming there is no control rebinding in the demo.

Apparently this demo is the older Gamescom demo and not the slightly updated one that toured around later so some things are missing/weird.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Tried the demo on XB1X. Looks good, especially once the sun comes out I think. I'm very, very out of practice for DMC, I haven't been returning to a remaster or similar as I have been with Ninja Gaiden over the past decade. A little bit of framerate drops if you position the camera right, but that happens in all the earlier games too. Shaping up very nicely I think, and not as unforgiving as I expected.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    V's battle theme dropped and it's goth/industrial as fuck which seems super appropriate.
    https://youtu.be/1l0elvnMgfA

This is a rad theme. I imagine I'll probably play more with the other characters but I look forward to hearing this when I have to play V.

It is important to note that in the most recent trailer, Dante has a poster of a Pizza in his office.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    he knows who he is
    woohoo pizza party time man

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/a5uvo9/i_forced_a_bot_to_watch_1000_hours_of_devil_may/?utm_source=reddit-android

"I forced a bot to watch 1,000 hours of Devil May Cry cutscenes and then write its own. Here's the result."

It's short, but as fantastic as you think it is.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So Capcom is hosting a Charity Drive on their twitch channel tomorrow. A bunch of pro players from the reddit DMC community will streaming the games, and Capcom themselves will be streaming 3 hours of DMC5. Probably the different demos that they've had at shows.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    "Yes, this is crazy, I am content," "Hell is removed,"and "Fate is occurring" are all lines that need to appear in a future DMC.

edited December 2018
    The absolute madman can't be stopped
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7n0Hbw3wyE&t=0s

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Death comes to all. Even men.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    V's alternate costume revealed
    jafar-aladdin-animated-disney.png

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The absolute madman can't be stopped
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7n0Hbw3wyE&t=0s

Capcom really should let Little V make a song for a dlc pack

Psychotic One on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "I am happy" and "Happy happy happy yay" are all lines that need to appear in a future DMC.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    V looks so weird to play. Wonder if he actually moves that slow as a default, or if it's just a stylish affectation for the trailers. Also can't really tell if the hair colour change is a gameplay feature or no. Is it a DT or some new polarity switching mechanic or what!?

Oh brilliant
  • RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Looks like his hair may change when Nightmare is summoned?

V looks so weird to play. Wonder if he actually moves that slow as a default, or if it's just a stylish affectation for the trailers. Also can't really tell if the hair colour change is a gameplay feature or no. Is it a DT or some new polarity switching mechanic or what!?

I believe his "sprint" options are all using his summons to do the work for him. He can teleport, but he doesn't seem able to actually run.

Getting quite the Noctis vibe. Also got clarification from Reddit on his colour change deal. It's... pretty fucking cool, actually.
    he uses ink to summon his demon pals. Mostly from his tattoos, but the big guy requires a little extra, so it comes from his hair dye. His natural colour is, surprise, white.

It feels like a detail they pulled over from DmC.

Oh brilliant
    The only thing that bugs me is people assuming his summons are, well, the ORIGINALS.
    It's pretty clear that Griffon at the very least is not the same character that Dante mortally wounded back in DMC1. Nightmare is *possible* since he's a demon bioweapon... but it's more likely he's just another type as well, just as Nightmare-Beta is a demon, but it's a demon that's a gun.

From a stripped down, non-JC version of the game with limited moveset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkCQ1AM3XU

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nero's special looks like it destroys his arm, then he just slaps another one on. That's hilarious.

Also, I'm really digging that music.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Forza del Destino is p.good and should have been Dante's gameplay music IMO

https://youtu.be/A7b4Ew0RIxo

Oh brilliant
    edited January 2019
    PC Specs are out:

Minimum

Processor: Processor: Intel Core i5 – 4460 or higher, AMD FX – 6300 or higher
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 or better
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 35 GB available space

Recommended

Processor: Intel Cor i7-4770 3.4GHz or better
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 or better
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 35 GB available space

manwiththemachinegun on
    Demo is out on ps4. Game is pretty much as fun I was expecting it to be.

Only thing that caught me off guard is how long it takes to charge devil breakers. You pretty much have to do it mid combo, and holding circle while pressing everything else feels kind of awkward. I'll try to get used to it or maybe try remapping to L1 or something.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Oooh, that's good Devil May Cry in that demo. Just the taste I need to get truly hungry for the main course

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Maxmillian Dood has an extended preview impressions on his channel, some mild spoilers for gameplay.

I kind of regret playing the demo. The month of waiting will be difficult.

I fully recommend doing the punch line grounded charge move against stunned Goliath. Very satisfying.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited February 2019
    I spent about four and a half hours playing the demo yesterday, half of which was spent just trying to shake the carved in stone muscle memory for helm breaker to the new input, but god damn just this demo was nonstop fun. Punchline allows for so much silly shit and uppercutting things into orbit does not get old, Gerbera's mobility allows for some really cool dodge options and juggling, while Overture is simple, but the bomb mode can be used in some really fun ways for wiping out groups or staggering the boss. I also dig the contextual moves it does. The ground slam and anti-air move are both pretty fun to use.

Literally the only reason I stopped playing yesterday was because my PS4 controller battery died and it needed to recharge.

10/10 would woohoo again
    3w187wdrrueg.jpg

Anyhoo, here's that slightly spoilery Maximilian video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ-XqU6v6Rc

Also, Reuben Langdon uploaded some previz stuff from Devil May Cry 3 that is just all sorts of fun to watch
    https://youtu.be/YR355CwNUww

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Yeah I also played the demo for like 4 hours, finally managing to s rank it. Turns out the key was being less stingy with devil breakers, especially on the boss. Still couldn't beat it without getting hit though. I always fuck up at least one dodge on Goliath, or try to use a double jump when I've already used it.

There was a moment after I got my s rank and started another run when I just stopped for a second and looked at Nero and teared up a bit. Sniff, my sweet boys are back. It's been too long.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    I need to shake the desire to experiment and do some pure business mode runs so I can join the S rank crew. It's just hard to not want to goof off with the new toys or stand back and troll Goliath.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2019
    I'm really glad they took the stylish rank announcer from DmC. SUPER SEXY STYLE. Edit: SMOKIN, I meant smokin

I also unironically love crimson cloud and have listened to it like 50 times and keep humming it all day at work.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Demo has been S ranked! I fucked up during the Goliath fight due to being kinda drunk and thought I had screwed the run up but that S came up and I lost my shit. I was so close to S ranking the demo on the show floor at PAX and god damn does it feel good seeing that S show up.

It helps that I had my custom DMC playlist blasting via my HTPC during the run. Nothing can withstand the might of Ultraviolet fueled hype.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Stop Donguri! They're already dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpjA_gGIIQQ

DMC4SE has a Vergil cutscene intro with this hot tune in it, mashes up his boss fight themes from DMC3 into one techno mess. I kinda wish it was his fightin' music in game.

https://youtu.be/lerU4_t8RkI

Oh brilliant
    I gotta say I kinda forgot about the lock system in these games.

It seems my hands do not like them. Maybe they will add a toggle lock option. Doubtful I know. But that alone would increase my enjoyment roughly 1000x

Holding the button while do action game button presses was cramping my hand up within like 10min which really sucks. Also my ability to do combo related stuff with a hold style lock on goes right out the window.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    You don't need to hold lock-on constantly. You can just press it when doing a lock-on+direction move.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I think I've played too much Bayo and DmC that I forgot that "dodge" is actually jump.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Peewi wrote: »
    You don't need to hold lock-on constantly. You can just press it when doing a lock-on+direction move.

Yea that's what I mean by the second part. My brain just cannot add that extra layer. I can't be on the fly choosing to hold or not hold based on what I'm trying to do. Especially not with rolling. That just leads to me jumping 60% of the time when I mean to roll. I need my toggles or else I'll just decide to ignore like 50% of the combos.

I was actually playing around with the auto mode for this but it automates WAYYYY too much. Like it was automating movement related stuff so I was constantly fighting the character to attack different guys which also made me sad.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So apparently Dante's VA was in Guatemala filming for some kind of documentary when he was attempted carjacked and shot at six times.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."