As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I saw that and was interested, but it seems like worth simply waiting for it to hit retail? The game is cheap-ish, but shipping was another 50% of the base price. Like, it seems cool and all, but not $60CDN cool.

Yeah, it's certainly pricey and, so far at least, has no Kickstarter special features, so you can wait and see if it gets post Kickstarter distribution (which I'd expect)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I saw that and was interested, but it seems like worth simply waiting for it to hit retail? The game is cheap-ish, but shipping was another 50% of the base price. Like, it seems cool and all, but not $60CDN cool.

Yeah, it's certainly pricey and, so far at least, has no Kickstarter special features, so you can wait and see if it gets post Kickstarter distribution (which I'd expect)

There will be no Kickstarter special features. They've pretty much avoided doing that stuff in their previous campaigns from what I recall; the KS is basically just a vehicle to get it produced, and into backers' hands first(ish).

If it's anything like Monikers, it will eventually get a retail release.
    Shipping to the States is much more reasonable it looks like (only 6USD, shipping to Canada is more than twice that).

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The only issue with farm scoring is that they’ve silently changed it over the editions and sometimes people don’t realise they were all playing different rules until the end.

1st edition Farm scoring 4 life, represent.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's mostly that it's not something I would be clamoring to get. And I'm sitting here looking at the Shipwreck Arcana kickstarter for almost half what Wavelength would be, which will be maybe as difficult or more to find in retail after the campaign ends. It's not a hard choice between them as they are (though don't get me wrong - I really hope I get to play Wavelength at some point).

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I know it as each city is worth 3 in a farm, and we don't play with the pig. What are the other versions?

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i googled this up, i guess ive always played with 3rd edition but i never knew there were different ones
    Here are a summary of the scoring rule changes by edition

1st Edition
    -Small City scoring (Completed 2 tile cities only score 2)
    -Farmer scoring:
    Select a city
    Count the farmers in fields touching that city
    The player with the majority of farmers on all farms touching that city scores 4
    Repeat for each city.
    2nd Edition
    -Small City scoring (Completed 2 tile cities only score 2)
    -Farmer scoring:
    Pick a farm
    Count the farmers on that farm
    The player with the most farmers scores 3 for each city touching that farm
    Repeat for each city. However, each city can only be scored once

3rd Edition
    -All city scoring is 2 points per tile, no small city exception
    -Farmer Scoring:
    Pick a farm
    Count the farmers on that farm
    The player with the most farmers scores 3 for each city touching that farm
    Repeat for each farm. Each city can be scored multiple times.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Really surprised by the 3rd edition city scoring. Seems like without that exception just making tiny towns everywhere would get boringly dominant.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Really surprised by the 3rd edition city scoring. Seems like without that exception just making tiny towns everywhere would get boringly dominant.

Can't have a two-tile city with a pennant in it. Pennant cities eat a lot of endcaps.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    This is 2 years old but I just had to comment on how stupid it is.

You might remember American McGee as "that guy who once worked on Doom and has spent the last 20 years trying to make a living on the same dark goth Alice in Wonderland games", so it's no surprise he made a kickstarter for a twisted fairy tale nonsense card game.
    a0888de1fae85c4993abd23744491607_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1500204344&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=ca05f83a864c49bb51244d3ae4e28141

If I'm being completely honest, I'm posting this just to make a "Garbage Tale Kids" joke.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Anyone got any thoughts on Vindication?

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    This is 2 years old but I just had to comment on how stupid it is.

You might remember American McGee as "that guy who once worked on Doom and has spent the last 20 years trying to make a living on the same dark goth Alice in Wonderland games", so it's no surprise he made a kickstarter for a twisted fairy tale nonsense card game.

If I'm being completely honest, I'm posting this just to make a "Garbage Tale Kids" joke.

<slow clap>

But yeah, that thing kind of parodies itself. It's Cinderella but she has The Power Of Cinders™. And from the KS itself, a game example ends like this:
    Player 3 finishes the story, thus earning them an instant win!

(It is however possible that the next player in turn can play the Block card, forcing player 3 to pick both cards back up and remain in the game! The ultimate comeback move!)

Ultimate Comeback Move™.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Yeah, my life was better before having opened that kickstarter page and read the gameplay flow. =_=

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is it just Uno? It seems like its just Uno. Can you just release a game that is a theme dropped on another game without legal problems?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Is it just Uno? It seems like its just Uno. Can you just release a game that is a theme dropped on another game without legal problems?

I think it's "frowned upon", and it an industry this small that's enough to keep it from happening. But legally I believe you can steal rules all you want, just not the presentation.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

Yes. Your only problem is the rules. The expression of a game's rules is copyrightable so you have to completely rewrite the rules from scratch.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Uno is just Last Card.

Fakedit- oh, Last Card is not universal and is especially popular in NZ. You learn something new every day! It's basically Uno but with a regular card deck and a lot of house rules. I guess Last Card is literally Uno because it probably is literally Uno. But there's other similar games that predate Uno.

• Options
    Yeah, my life was better before having opened that kickstarter page and read the gameplay flow. =_=

It seems absurd, right? I feel like I've been trying to make heads or tails of the game and I'm still drawing a complete blank. And yet it seems quite well regarded.

• Options
    Darric wrote: »

It seems absurd, right? I feel like I've been trying to make heads or tails of the game and I'm still drawing a complete blank. And yet it seems quite well regarded.
    So is Exploding Kittens, so ...

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Its well regarded where?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't think the American McGee game is well-regarded anywhere.

Exploded Kittens is also not well-regarded, but it is popular.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on Vindication?

I love it. The production values are wonderful, though perhaps a little overproduced (the new Kickstarter expansion fixes some of the issues with useless figurines). The theme is all about having an adventure, exploring a mysterious island and collecting allies. At its core, though, it's very much a resource management game. You're thinking about how to generate and convert cubes to take the actions you want in return for earning victory points or reaching milestones.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

Oh, sorry, I got streams crossed. I was talking about Vindication.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    The amount of punchboards in New Frontiers absolutely bonkers. Game looks like it's going to be great. Going to try it out tonight.

Did you end up trying the game out? I'm still trying to decide between it and the Rivalry expansion.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ad many of you know I got a third shift printing of pandemic legacy season 1. Just low quality, and sometimes missing proper instructions about opening boxes. I have a legit copy of risk legacy, but we had a mistake in our version. The 30+ troops and 3 missLe boxed were swapped ! So we got spoiled on some stuff details in spoilers
    Do I had been excited about the potential to open the play 3 misssle son a single turn box since I was starting with 3. I finally got to pip it when I played one, followed by my dad, followed by me. So we open the box and see aliens!

I get hyped. I start to read the cards and notice it says the player placing 30 troops is the alien conspirator. This keyed me off right away so I opened the other box, and sure enough, it's mutants.

Really surprised this was messed up in a retail copy of the game

Quration about a rule change
    Missle powers.
    On my turn after opening the box, I bought a star , and took over 2 hq's. Does that count as earning a star to add a missile power?

my family has messed up and let me pigeon hoke in Australia then get into asia, but with the new scar cards, they may take away my starting strategy for 7 games now.

Quiting this because I'm still not sure of the rule change after 3 missels were played on the same turn.

*edit* quotint, not quitting lol

RickRude on
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Someone please tell me that I should buy the Mage Knight Ultimate Edition. I have Star Trek Frontiers at the moment but that's it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So Codenames was a huge hit. At one point, in reference to a clue, tge phrase "A shark is a mammal!" Was spoken. It then proceeded to get a bit heated in a fun way. Lots of laughs were had and it really came down to the wire in a couple games.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Epimer wrote: »
    Someone please tell me that I should buy the Mage Knight Ultimate Edition. I have Star Trek Frontiers at the moment but that's it.

Do you play a lot of Star trek frontiers? Enough to want a slightly different version of the same game with a ton more stuff? Also if you want more stuff you could get the star trek frontiers expansion for way less than MKUE...

• Options
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    The amount of punchboards in New Frontiers absolutely bonkers. Game looks like it's going to be great. Going to try it out tonight.

Did you end up trying the game out? I'm still trying to decide between it and the Rivalry expansion.

Oh yeah, I've played it 4 times now. It's exactly what it says, ie a super smooth polished boardgame version of a bunch of stuff from Puerto Rico and the RFTG franchise. I think it's great, it's gotten generally positive responses from the people I've played with so far. Some said they still preferred Race, though New Frontiers is better multiplayer than Race. Some preferred Roll, I think just because you get to roll a bunch of dice there. I like having all the developments laid out up front and being able to plan things out more than other RFTG games, and the role selection is great. Long story short, its great but if you stay have extensive experience with other franchise games the amount you need it might vary.

• Options

Games, wine, food, beer, soda, cilantro all have something in common. If you have fun/if you like how it tastes, it is good to you. Full stop, you can't be "wrong" about that and it's silly elitism to say otherwise. Might I like a $200 bottle of some rare french vintage more than this box wine? Maybe. But I also like this box wine, and that's fine. I don't personally like or want to play exploding kittens ever again, but I can't deny I've seen a lot of people play it and thoroughly enjoy themselves! They aren't wrong, and that's true whether it ever gets them "deeper" into the hobby or not. Based on sales, and the fact that I've had a lot of non-hobby players interested in and asking if I've brought it to game nights, repeatedly, it is well-regarded by a sizeable number of people, even if you wouldn't consider them your typical game enthusiasts.

Sorry, this is not at all about you personally, just a personal bugaboo of mine that I think makes a lot of communities come off as hostile to newbies when there is no reason to be. It's up there with anyone who looks at my plate of food and makes a comment about "ew". You don't have to like stuff, but in matters of taste people can't be wrong about what they like. (Problematic in terms of theme,ethical production etc. is a WHOLE other category of course)

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    How do people feel about Terra Mystica v. Gaia Project? SUSD said stick with TM, but I'm curious what y'all think.

• Options
    If I remember right Efka of NPI (who loved Terra Mystica very much) said it was good, especially if you already like TM, but if he had a new player to teach, he'd probably grab TM first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPDi7ejbIAQ

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    How do people feel about Terra Mystica v. Gaia Project? SUSD said stick with TM, but I'm curious what y'all think.

GP blows TM out of the water imo

• Options
    Oh man, is it time to dredge this up again?

I still prefer Terra Mystica. I think the game is easier to learn, has a more comprehensible board state, feels nicer with the components instead of tracks, and generally feels more interactive because of the close proximity of the players. The best breakdown IMO is that Terra Mystica focuses on the main game board while Gaia Project focuses on the technology board.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Oh man, is it time to dredge this up again?

I still prefer Terra Mystica. I think the game is easier to learn, has a more comprehensible board state, feels nicer with the components instead of tracks, and generally feels more interactive because of the close proximity of the players. The best breakdown IMO is that Terra Mystica focuses on the main game board while Gaia Project focuses on the technology board.

I think Gaia Project has increased focus on the tech board and decreased focus on the map compared to Terra Mystica, but it's not like it's this dramatic change of focus or anything.

Personally, I think everything that Gaia Project adds and removes from Terra Mystica mechanically is a smart change. I wouldn't recommend anyone get TM over GP, unless you're strongly against the art/theme/components, or specifically want the slightly lighter game, which is totally valid.

Darric on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I get angry just thinking about Terra Mystica, the only euro where I feel bankrupt every move. Its no coincidence Gaia Project took the suffocation out.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I get angry just thinking about Terra Mystica, the only euro where I feel bankrupt every move. Its no coincidence Gaia Project took the suffocation out.

It may be because it was one of the first that I learned, but I associate that suffocation with the euros I like. I live for that feeling of "OH I CAN ALMOST DO EVERYTHING" that leads to interesting decisions and planning. I feel the same in concordia, it's always "I want to do these three things, and could if i only had the resources, but only can afford 1-2 now, and if I wait I may not get to do it at all! Or if I wait that thing could be cheaper...."
    I totally get that not being pleasant for others though, lord knows I hate playing auction games due to the wibbly math that SEEMS like I should be able to solve it.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I mean I haven't gotten enough plays of GP in but I feel much more broke there!

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Games, wine, food, beer, soda, cilantro all have something in common. If you have fun/if you like how it tastes, it is good to you. Full stop, you can't be "wrong" about that and it's silly elitism to say otherwise. Might I like a $200 bottle of some rare french vintage more than this box wine? Maybe. But I also like this box wine, and that's fine. I don't personally like or want to play exploding kittens ever again, but I can't deny I've seen a lot of people play it and thoroughly enjoy themselves! They aren't wrong, and that's true whether it ever gets them "deeper" into the hobby or not. Based on sales, and the fact that I've had a lot of non-hobby players interested in and asking if I've brought it to game nights, repeatedly, it is well-regarded by a sizeable number of people, even if you wouldn't consider them your typical game enthusiasts.

Sorry, this is not at all about you personally, just a personal bugaboo of mine that I think makes a lot of communities come off as hostile to newbies when there is no reason to be. It's up there with anyone who looks at my plate of food and makes a comment about "ew". You don't have to like stuff, but in matters of taste people can't be wrong about what they like. (Problematic in terms of theme,ethical production etc. is a WHOLE other category of course)

There's always a push-and-pull, whenever talking about board games or wine or whatever, between "I like this" and "I recommend this". On any given page of this thread, you'll find statements that are sometimes very much about "my taste", sometimes very much "you should try this". Sometimes people even say, "I like this game, if you like these other games, you might like this one." Sometimes, admittedly, people do imply, "you're a bad person for liking this game", with a greater or lesser degree of seriousness. But it's pretty common and natural that there will be statements about how "good" or "bad" a game is.

All that to say, QT's comment, about how the game is not well-regarded, is pretty far away from saying "ew". It's a warning that many people do NOT like this game, so you might not like it either. Furthermore, I think most people here feel comfortable even saying things like, "yeah, this game is trash, but I love it", without fear that they are going to get elited off the thread.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I can't abide games whose outcomes are entirely random or affected only by blind decisions, so I would very much like to know if something popular is such a game. I suppose I don't care if we never use the words good or bad as long as the information is conveyed

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    My son is currently obsessed with War. I feel as though I can say, without objection from any adult, that it is a bad game. It is entirely flipping over a card, and repeat. There are no decisions. Does it even qualify as a game?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.