As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Crowfall] Game of Thrones meets EVE Online. Early Access available now.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It has.

And so many of them just horribly screw up PVP. Good on this one and I think Camelot as well, for making it the focus.

It really is possible to make MMORPGs and PVP fun. So many people think it is not because all the mainstream MMOs have horrible PVP now.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I think the big thing both Crowfall and Camelot have going for them is that the Devs are well aware of the niche they are going for. They're not going for mass market appeal, they know who their audience is, what they like and are working towards providing it.

Still though, both games are going for the same audience and I find myself torn between the two. Although being torn between two PvP-centric MMOs is a welcome problem that I never expected to have. :razz:

I like what I see being offered by both games. Though the combat in Crowfall looks more exciting to me, but that might be because Camelot is still working that part out.

edit- Oh yeah and then Ashes of Creation threw their hat in to the ring. Though that game sounds more like a western made Black Desert (which is cool IMO) as opposed to a purely PvP driven game.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Really hope this game is good. I've had a longing for a new good MMO lately that isn't a WoW expansion or WoW clone, and am always frustrated by the slow progress and limited options in the market.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Hope their niche works out better than Wildstar's hilarious foray into the worst parts of World of Warcraft that Blizzard learned from, corrected and then moved on.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Hope their niche works out better than Wildstar's hilarious foray into the worst parts of World of Warcraft that Blizzard learned from, corrected and then moved on.

wildstar had a lot of good things going for it, but balance was not one of it. That said I am looking forward to Crowfall and will probably end up buying it day 1 of release

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • MandresMandres Registered User regular
    What's taking so long? It's been two years since this one was announced / in development and they're still at the "ink drawings of upcoming classes" and "showing off world-building tools" phase? By the time this is ready to release (presumably in 3-4 more years) will anyone care anymore?

Why does it seem so impossible for American dev teams to put out an MMO using an existing graphics engine/networking framework like the Koreans and Chinese do? License CryEngine or Unreal and get it done. Black Desert Online (for example) has already been out for 3 years and it's graphics and systems are light years ahead of what either Crowfall or Camelot Unchained have shown so far. I like the direction this one is taking with the competitive / PvP emphasis and I think it will make for a successful game, but not if it takes 5-6 years to come out and looks and feels antiquated on release (like Wildstar).

Because it was a crowd funded MMO.

MMOs make major gaming companies fall apart. It should be no surprise a crowd funded one is going to struggle at BEST to get something out at all, let alone in any realistic time.

edited August 2017
    And they've been making steady progress too, even went out of their way to break up the race-locked classes.

Crowfall and Camelot for that matter have been continually updating their players and show constant progress. To their credit (IMHO) they haven't been trying to build hype. They understand that this will take awhile and make no illusions otherwise.

In Crowfall's case, according to the Devs, they're still on track for their Q4 2017 soft* launch date.

*core game stuff, additional stuff in later patches.

Axen on
  • MandresMandres Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    In Crowfall's case, according to the Devs, they're still on track for their Q4 2017 soft* launch date.

*core game stuff, additional stuff in later patches.

Well hey, that's encouraging. I just assumed an actual, playable release was still years+ away. Even if they start small with one "map" or whatever that would be perfectly fine as long as the game is fun and continues to grow.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Man that was not a very good voiceover.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    But it was a great looking trailer.

Still know the game might not play perfect yet, but it looks surprisingly nice considering they are just a small company.

This game really deserves to have a chance. The overall MMO genre is kind of fading, so something different is really all it has left.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    But it was a great looking trailer.

Still know the game might not play perfect yet, but it looks surprisingly nice considering they are just a small company.

This game really deserves to have a chance. The overall MMO genre is kind of fading, so something different is really all it has left.

I mean, the conquistador Guinea Pigs are pretty different, so it has that going for it at least!

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, is there any sort of appreciable timeline on this or is it still a vague "sometime over that way?'

What is this I don't even.
    It isn't a big studio release.

If they don't take it slow and careful, they will never have a finished game.

It is best to simply be surprised when it finally comes than to expect it.

AFAIK it is still end of 2017 for the soft launch. Core game stuff, with patches adding more things.

They've made a number of changes and additions recently. One of the more notable ones IMHO is their "action harvesting".

Before harvesting was basically the same as it is in most any game. Find resource node, bang on it, get resource.

Now they've added harvesting Disciplines. Disciplines being these equipable rune things that can augment your character (ie: allowing a class that is restricted to light armor to wear heavy armor). You can only have a small handful equipped at one time, but you can change your loadout in safe areas.

The various harvesting Disciplines can add things like increasing the amount of resources you get, the overall quality, regening your stamina, etc. One of them sounds like, for lack of a better word, a harvesting healer. Called the Foreman and with it you can replenish your party member's stamina and replenish party members 'pips'. Pips are a harvester combo resource. You gain pips from harvesting and can use them on abilities to get/do fancy things. If you played FFXIV it sounds a bit similar to how gathering works in that game.

They've also added node weak spots. If you strike the weak spots you get more stuff and better stuff. There is even a Discipline to increase the frequency of weak spots popping up and increase the, uh, "critical damage" that you inflict on a node if you hit the weak spot.

All in all with the changes to harvesting and the addition of these harvesting specific Disciplines it sounds like players will have reason to form gathering groups. Which is pretty neat.

On the downside (or upside depending on who you are) it also means that players focused on gathering will not be as combat effective as other more war minded foes. This means that raiding parties can sneak behind enemy lines and harass an enemy army's supply.

Along with Guilds/Factions having to setup supply depots and supply trains to keep their engine of war fed means that attacking supply routes and guarding supply routes is a vital component to war. Which I am way down for.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Do they have a time line when each phase of alpha is happening? I bought the 2017 Amber bundle and it says I have access to play test 1-5 and alpha 2. Right now it is showing pre alpha 5 and I can't play.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Green Menace HarareRegistered User regular
    Soft launch won't happen this year, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see it even in 2019 - and I'm not saying that as a bad thing. That would mean launch in 2020/21 or so.

PS Here's another new class/race combo, the official Elken Cleric reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk5cpeOZ5xg&feature=youtu.be

@Stragint Meantime they started sending alpha 2 invites, tho it's happening in waves as usual.

3014467-ezgif.com-crop%283%29.gif
    They just got $6M extra funding (!), making it $20 million total...and counting! :) Here's total budget breakdown - https://crowfall.com/en/funding/

I am almost afraid to say this, but maybe we are witnessing the birth of Star Citizen's little brother?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They just got $6M extra funding (!), making it $20 million total...and counting! :) Here's total budget breakdown - https://crowfall.com/en/funding/

I am almost afraid to say this, but maybe we are witnessing the birth of Star Citizen's little brother?

They haven't become the living incarnation of scope creep, have they?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

They haven't become the living incarnation of scope creep, have they?

Haha, no - they are handling it much better. Evil tongues might say it's only because they don't have money to add too much, but actually the whole development model has less accent on the cash shop, i.e. it's much more about building the game.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Do they have a time line when each phase of alpha is happening? I bought the 2017 Amber bundle and it says I have access to play test 1-5 and alpha 2. Right now it is showing pre alpha 5 and I can't play.

@Stragint I just bought in to this last weekend and from what I can tell they are allowing up to Alpha 2 on the "test" server, and up to Beta 3 on the "live" server. (I'm in the B3 group and playing on Live.) Test is only active periodically and from what I can tell from the forum posts is buggy as hell. Live is running the latest stable version and is doing week+ long "campaigns". I think the current campaign is going into day 9 out of the seven days it was supposed to run. Personally I think this is because the devs are so busy cranking on the test version that they are just letting the stable "live" version run unattended - which actually speaks to the stability of the current version!

It's still not a "game" yet. It's more like just a collection of various game mechanics that happen to work together, with giant gaping holes of functionality where some mechanics should be. For me, it's a ton of fun learning how the systems and sub-systems work (because that's my thing), but if you're looking for any kind of challenging (or even moderately documented or understandable) game mechanics, it's probably going to be disappointing.

26904.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Stupid wrote: »
    It's still not a "game" yet. It's more like just a collection of various game mechanics that happen to work together, with giant gaping holes of functionality where some mechanics should be.
    That's a touch worrying for a game that, until recently, was supposed to launch by the end of last year. I was hoping they were at the polish stage at this point and delayed to get it all shiny, rather than still trying to make the game gel.
    Still, cautiously hopeful. Would be nice to see a crowdfunded MMO actually release, feel finished and be fun. Oh, to dream.

Glal on
    The shine is likely going to be done after release I would imagine. This game isn't being made as a typical MMO, so its likely the getting everything to work as a game that will both take the longest and be the most important.

However, the way they at least sounded like they planned on making the game function is one of the better reasons its even possible to get it out. It doesn't sound like it requires as much straight up content creation work as a standard MMO would.

So I got an email about a limited time upgrade to my pledge package but I'm not seeing any upgrade options in the store like the email said there would be. Anyone have any experience with this?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Watched some anime that involved MMOs and Crowfall came to mind.

So excited for this game, anyone know if there have been major updates? I'm going through their announcements at the moment but I might miss something.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Version 5.5 was just pushed to the "live" server last week. That added some new game elements. From the looks of things 5.6 will add even more. It's still not a real game, but it's getting closer. Rumor is that soft launch will be later this year.

26904.png
    Long but careful drive towards the goal is a better development cycle than you would expect from any MMO beginning as a kickstarter. So sounds pretty good.

Still perfectly willing to wait however long it takes for this game to become even somewhat of what it wants to be. There really isn't anything else trying to do what Crowfall is doing.

• SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Looks like 5.8.3 dropped today, with lots of changes to disciplines. Campaigns are up and running and even have rewards now!

SledGod on
    Pretty stoked. I really need to get back into this and record some game play.

To people playing it, how has the game progressed in the past year? I remember people complaining about the basic combat feeling clunky and unpolished.

I'm kind of mad with myself. I dropped $250 on the big bundle like 3 years ago before they got rid of them and I've hardly played the game. I'm definitely gonna jump back in and make some videos.

As fat as combat I'll be able to let you know soon, I did play a few months ago and it was rough combat.

I would like a fair opinion on the thing as well. A lot of people are disappointed it isn't everything they wanted right now, but it doesn't seem like they have changed any of the major game play goals, and have added a bunch of stuff to just make the thing better in the end.

I still think if a game that likely should have had no chance to make it off the ground can get a finished product roughly around what they hoped EVENTUALLY, it is a win. And I still think this game speaks to me more than any other MMO related thing that could still happen. If this game doesn't do it, I just kind of give up on the genre.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    There's an interesting game brewing to be sure. But the person who bought that kickstarter bundle and the guy typing this right now are two different people. I can't really see myself getting into an MMO again. Occasionally I think about subscribing to FFXIV again, but most days I can't be arsed to even boot up Guild Wars for the daily log-in reward.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    At this point my interest in Crowfall is primarily the complete lack of any interesting or original PVE MMOs coming out since... oh I dunno, 2015? I had some fun with Warhammer Online's PVP, maybe I could get into Crowfall if the mechanics are fun, at least it's not Just The Same Damned MMO I Already Played like everything else...

And vaguely related, I wonder if Anthem is proof of the multiplayer looter shooter already hitting the same point of stagnation, because lordy did that game feel like just more Destiny 2 when I tried it.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    In a way battle royale games are kind of the new version of the PvP MMO experience.

Not really. I like mmos because I can't do gun aiming. That is why I love their pvp so much. Hotbar skill based 3D combat works for me.

• SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    I think the the thing that excites me about the game is that it takes a lot of EVE online's ideas and condenses them into something that's a bit more palatable for me these days. I like high risk high reward pvp, I just don't have 6-12 months to become competent with one ship or 4 hours of organizing comms so we can maybe get into a skirmish.

• franciscourantfranciscourant Registered User regular
    The team has just announced that they've begun work on the last major milestone (then they'll move to bug fixing and polish).

This milestone includes:
    • the Frostweaver (final class)
    • remaining promotion classes, skill trees, and multi-classing disciplines
    • mounts
    • caravans
    • refineries
    • the Dregs (guild vs. guild campaign)
    • ability to dynamically add, move and destroy buildings
    • a host of other features

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Played a good amount today. This really feels like Shadowbane's "pick whatever" for you class and skill training with SWG crafting. That checks out considering the minds behind it and frankly, having recently, uhh, reminisced about those games, is exactly what I am looking for.

Having said that, this gonna be one of those niche games. Hopefully where they are trying to carve out isnt too small.