As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I want to know what that moustache growing process was like.

Like, no one fucking dares comment on the stache, right? Even a complement? Especially a compliment

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Moustache is Imperial Fists primarch Rogal Dorn, who does not have a stache outside of one glorious depiction of him in the HH books.
    I'm really struggling to understand how this nickname came to be. Is this like when a big, bulky, bruiser guy is nicknamed "Tiny"?

Absolutely, I mean, the 40k fandom is the last I'd ever expect to grab onto one minor detail in one minor picture and use it to define a character forever.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Moustache is Imperial Fists primarch Rogal Dorn, who does not have a stache outside of one glorious depiction of him in the HH books.
    I'm really struggling to understand how this nickname came to be. Is this like when a big, bulky, bruiser guy is nicknamed "Tiny"?

Absolutely, I mean, the 40k fandom is the last I'd ever expect to grab onto one minor detail in one minor picture and use it to define a character forever.

abbadon's finnally gonna get arms soon.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Is it the entire fandom that has latched onto this specific detail and nickname, or is it that subset of the fandom whose membership is composed of only PiptheFair?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The leafblower list specifically involved several Hydras, Imperial Guard Veteran Squads in Valkyries, and a Psyker Battle unit too I think? With a blob or two who sat on objectives in your DZ.

It was pretty vile to play against. The firepower was just insanity for the cost, plus it had the flyers with troops so could grab objectives very easily while exterminating everything. The only, only thing that I recall worked okay against it was Dark Eldar Dark Lance spam, because you could kill the tanks pretty effectively.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

abbadon's finnally gonna get arms soon.

not if eldrad has anything to say about it

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Is it the entire fandom that has latched onto this specific detail and nickname, or is it that subset of the fandom whose membership is composed of only PiptheFair?

I mean, look up fanart of Dorn. It's like going into to the warp as a risk factor, but that option is available to you.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Nice try, Ruinous Powers.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Look, I'm not saying its a good idea. But it's like driving a car, acceptable risks.

Warhammer-40000-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-Emperor-of-Mankind-Imperium-5009768.png

manwiththemachinegun on
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Tangentially, I just got back from Alita and thought I imagined thus, so I looked up the trailer. Tell me this silhouette isn’t familiar, somehow:
    p512367vbd03.jpeg
    Ignore the red part; it’s the leg of the crane/robot.

Can't say for sure, but I know WETA here in New Zealand have a bunch of 40k kits lying around for compositing/modelling work

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The digital realm got a really good tactical RPG (like XCOM) called W40K: Mechanicus. It focuses on a group of Techpriests investigating a world ruined by Necrons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfqF81VPoM0

Missions are endurance runs. Players must heavily use unarmed Servitors as cannon fodder to protect and empower the legit Techpriests from fight to fight with limited healing. Techpriests can be heavily customized with weapons and special skills.

Also in between fights are Oregon Trail like multiple choice decisions that will shape how the game ends. The Techpriests must balance and weigh studying the Necrons and the artifacts they left everywhere for the good of the Empire, with torching those filthy xenos relics. The campaign is on a timer that determines when the world will be overwhelmed with Necrons, woke from stasis. The decisions made determine how many missions you get to squeeze in before the campaign ends.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mechanicus has been mentioned a number of times in this thread. I’ll have to pick it up at some point; it sounds great.

In regards to Magnus, what exactly did he do to fuck everything up? I read the books a while ago, but I guess I didn’t really grasp that he was to be the master of the webway before he bollocksed it all up.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    At one point during the Great Crusade the Emperor went "Peace out, dudes! Horus, you got this, bye" and went back to Terra working on his access to the Eldar webway, without telle any of the Primarchs about it.

The golden throne was meant to regulate the webway gate (to stop deamons from breaking in) and the astronomicon and the Emp was planning to have Magnus to sit on it, because beside the Emperor he was the only Pasker powerful enough to maintain it.

During the Heresy Magnus, not knowing about the Emp's work send a powerful psychic message to Terra to warn about Horus. So powerful that it broke all the psychic seals around the Throne Room and with that opening the webwaygate for deamons. The rest of the Heresy the Custodes and the Emp were busy holding back the daemonic legions from flooding Terra from the inside.

And that is why you should get an expert to fix the transdimensional plumbing that the previous tennants left behind under your "throne".

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    It seems like if Magnus hadn't poked a hole in those psychic seals, someone or something eventually would have. Or did Emp have a plan for how to permanently seal it?

With the Primarchs and the Imperial Webway, it sure feels like the Emp was dabbling in things he didn't quite have a handle on.

Smurph wrote: »
    It seems like if Magnus hadn't poked a hole in those psychic seals, someone or something eventually would have. Or did Emp have a plan for how to permanently seal it?

With the Primarchs and the Imperial Webway, it sure feels like the Emp was dabbling in things he didn't quite have a handle on.

I was under the impression that the Emp's plan on that was "Plug my super psyker primarch Magnus into the throne and let him worry about it for eternity".
    I could be wrong on that front though.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    x-com style turn-based tactics games really seem to be a hand-in-glove gameplay style for warhammer, honestly.

E hadn’t finished the webway project yet but he absolutely had a plan and magnus used sorcery to figure out horus’ treason and also to send the message which the emp said to never do

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    x-com style turn-based tactics games really seem to be a hand-in-glove gameplay style for warhammer, honestly.

There was a really good one back at the turn of the millenium called Chaos Gate. turn based, and isometric!
    You controlled up to 15 Ultramarines and fought World Bearers.
    It had permadeath and a limited pool of marines to draw from, and weapons (and possibly ammo i forget) could only be found on missions. Your guy with a lascannon died, you lost the lascannon. Which sucked because you needed the firepower
    You could also upgrade your dudes, and if they killed 5 dudes in a mission twice they were eligible to become terminators.
    My standard team was terminator squad, (because you really needed the assault cannon), devastator squad, and assault squad, because sometimes your only option was to jetpack across the map and punch someone in the face and hope no new enemies were revealed.
    It also had a really good sound track full of what can only be described as hardcore ominous latin chanting

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mechanicus is weird because I see it as as less of a 40k x-com and more of a 1-1 accurate computer recreation of a 40k board game that never existed.

everything is deterministic. The only random things are damage rolls and I *think* some of the map-screen events.

edit: also they released the 40k rules for the DEADLY ARMBULL
    v13jo5cqspfw.jpg
    its one ugly motherfucker

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Sly Marbo will eat that fool. With no sauce.

I think the ambull knows and that's why it's hiding.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    How is the Blackstone Fortress game? For 40k addicts? Non 40k people?

which is more terrifying

sly marbo, yarrick, or angron on a bad dad(all of angron's days are bad)

I mean there's nothing Angron hates more than bad dads.

you know what, I'm gonna keep that typo

GaryO wrote: »

There was a really good one back at the turn of the millenium called Chaos Gate. turn based, and isometric!
    You controlled up to 15 Ultramarines and fought World Bearers.
    It had permadeath and a limited pool of marines to draw from, and weapons (and possibly ammo i forget) could only be found on missions. Your guy with a lascannon died, you lost the lascannon. Which sucked because you needed the firepower
    You could also upgrade your dudes, and if they killed 5 dudes in a mission twice they were eligible to become terminators.
    My standard team was terminator squad, (because you really needed the assault cannon), devastator squad, and assault squad, because sometimes your only option was to jetpack across the map and punch someone in the face and hope no new enemies were revealed.
    It also had a really good sound track full of what can only be described as hardcore ominous latin chanting

Chaos Gate was the fucking shit man

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yarrick would beat Sly Marbo would beat Angron would beat Yarrick.

Also, fuck marry kill? The answers may surprise you!

I think Angron on a good day would be the most terrifying.
    Because (if I'm recalling correctly) the only good days for Angron are when he's knee deep in bodies, and wading towards more.

Sly? Maybe not so much. Sure, he'll kill you a dozen times before you know your dead, but you'll never know he's there until 30 seconds after he's hung your remains from a tree as a grim warning to the next inattentive sightseer.
    Yarrick? Sure, he's terrifying in combat, but he's also so focused on Thraka that he doesn't have the requisite half a shit to give about killing anyone that's not an Ork or standing between him and an Ork. Try not to look orky, and shoot in the general direction of orks and Yarrick'll be your bud (until it's expedient in killing orks to not be your bud).

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    How is the Blackstone Fortress game? For 40k addicts? Non 40k people?

It's fun it continues that question of how did board games become single player when video games became multi?

I plan on getting the Ambul for Blackstone and for Killteam silliness

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mechanicus is weird because I see it as as less of a 40k x-com and more of a 1-1 accurate computer recreation of a 40k board game that never existed.

everything is deterministic. The only random things are damage rolls and I *think* some of the map-screen events.

Ooh, Mario + Rabbids is like this. You either have good cover or bad cover (which gives you a guaranteed 50% hit rate) and all cover can absorb 3 shots.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'd not heard of the Dorn-mustache thing before this thread, but...
    7wyxvgfrbew0.jpg
    All kidding aside, I think the mustache suits him.
    nk6mj7kc836q.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    The Imperial Fist have a distinct historical central/eastern european flair, so beards like that fit in quite well.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I first started to see him in fan art with the mustache I felt it fit
    Compared to what he was before and I was disappointed his mini did not have it
    8gfryqs9klv9.png
    Nor the square jaw

Forge World are bad at faces

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I have spent the better part of this week working on and finish my captain.

I used the primaris captain model but gave him a thunder hammer and storm shield and jetpack and will be running him as a slam captain. I play mono Blood Angels anyhow.

O6bKA13h.jpg
    wa9INpRh.jpg
    ca72Ac2h.jpg
    qHIBcwah.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That is a a sweet-ass Captain

Sweet Ass-Captain?

Smash-Ass Captain

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Captain Smashton of the Smashy Marines.

Also I'm reading Dark Imperium and reading about Gulliman being all "WTF!?" with well, basically all of the aspects of the modern Imperium he woke up to is just the best.

He -really- hates the cherubs.

The best/worst is that all that religious, superstitious stuff actually works against Chaos, so Roboute has to implement it.

It's also like, he knows that the Imperium essentially functions (barely) because of faith in the Emperor

So when he talks to the Emperor and realises that it's a load of shit he just straight up lies because the truth would be too much, too destructive

It's actually one of the things I really like, and I think it really explores his character there. The Primarchs are always these paragons of culture, like they are the purest expression of their archetypes and don't hide that at all. They don't really hide what they feel or mean because why would they? When you're a Primarch you can just say that shit and who's going to argue? But Gulliman does. The biggest epiphany of his entire existence! The ultimate revelation, the truth! And he lies. He doesn't even just not say it, or keep it hidden, he straight up lies. "Does the Emperor love us?" "Sure does! He loves us all! He's the best!" and then goes on with his business.

This discussion has been closed.