As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    I really liked AT1, and love AT2 wholly disproportionate to how good it may actually be, so I'm sure I'll at least enjoy AT3 and probably will love it.

I'm thinking about it, and I can't think of anything that even contends with AT2 for 'favorite JRPG' in my head.

I liked AT2 with one caveat. It was the only game where I couldn't get myself to like either of the two main girls. Their back and forth for most of the game I think hurt their personalities more than it fleshed it out. Great game, but Jaqli all the way.

Well, of course.

Besides, they go together better with each other than with Croix.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I'm way behind on Atelier, haven't finished Firis, own but haven't touched Lydie & Suelle yet. Looks like in the next 6 months we'll be getting two new Atelier games, both games involving an all-star cast.

March 26 we get Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World. This looks to be Gust's foray into Atelier fan fiction in the best way possible. You play a newly graduated alchemist in a new land that pretty much has returning characters from EVERY series, including ones that didn't even make it to the West. Pretty much every alchemist and important character returns from Salberg, Gramnad, Iris, Mana Khemia, Arland, Dusk and Mysterious series. I might be more interested in this than anything else, if they do this properly. From the sound of the title, this is more than likely a spin off, and not part of the numbered series... but I could be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxOKSKlO-hg

Then in May we get another all-star game, but on a smaller scale. Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland is a continuation of the Arland trilogy. This time you're playing Elmerulia Frixell (Lulua), who is Rorona's daughter... though the father they're being rather hush-hush about. Many returning characters from the Arland trilogy come back, including all three alchemists, Sterk, Piana from the Frontier Village, Liona, and of course... Mimi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxzW_dhWOd8

Gonna start working through Firis in earnest next week while stuck at training. Still not sure how I feel about them suddenly rehashing series right after they start to cut costs with localization. Kinda smells like they're not wanting to spend as much budget on worldbuilding anymore. It's not a bad thing, it's just... odd to see after having a pattern for the series for over 20 years running.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I think I'll just end up skipping Firis and L&S, but these two new games sound very fun. I don't mind them going back to Arland at all... but they'd better not chicken out and fail to tell us who the daddy is! I'm rooting for Iksel... the hair colour checks out, after all. Not that hair colour is necessarily heritable in JRPG-land, but I like Rorona+Iksel.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Mr. AlienMr. Alien Registered User regular
    I think I'll just end up skipping Firis and L&S, but these two new games sound very fun. I don't mind them going back to Arland at all... but they'd better not chicken out and fail to tell us who the daddy is! I'm rooting for Iksel... the hair colour checks out, after all. Not that hair colour is necessarily heritable in JRPG-land, but I like Rorona+Iksel.

You know as well as I do that is not going to happen.

Lulua is adopted.

Don't ruin my dreams!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They've flat out said Rorona is her mother in interviews, but given Gust has very conspicuously avoided any kind of romance in Atelier series games ever since entering the PS3 generation it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if they did the last minute dodge and meant "not biological mother though" by the time the game actually comes out. (gotta keep the waifus virginal so the otakus don't get mad)

Donnicton wrote: »
    gotta keep the waifus virginal so the otakus don't get mad

Romance has always never been a thing in the franchise ever since the very first thing. Elie and Lilie outright had some dating sim elements, but the canon path has the protags not caring about that while focusing 100% on alchemy.

It's exemplified in one of the events in Elie where the protag is asked what her dream is. You have a choice between becoming rich, starting a warm family, and perfecting the art of alchemy. The second answer gives you a point towards romance while the third one gives you a point towards the true ending. And throughout the game, there are other similar choices where the romance option and the true end option are mutually exclusive.

edited February 2019
    Mr. Alien wrote: »
    gotta keep the waifus virginal so the otakus don't get mad

Romance has always never been a thing in the franchise ever since the very first thing. Elie and Lilie outright had some dating sim elements, but the canon path has the protags not caring about that while focusing 100% on alchemy.

It's exemplified in one of the events in Elie where the protag is asked what her dream is. You have a choice between becoming rich, starting a warm family, and perfecting the art of alchemy. The second answer gives you a point towards romance while the third one gives you a point towards the true ending. And throughout the game, there are other similar choices where the romance option and the true end option are mutually exclusive.

What Gust chose as the "true" end doesn't matter, the fact is that the option exists. The Iris games had it a bit more overtly as part of the story but they did the usual anime "beat around the bush the entire story and then never resolve it" routine... for all three of them. Mana Khemia 1 was more overt in their romances to varying degrees by the end, peaking with the Nicole and Vayne ending and their like four or five children. (I don't... really want to remember Muppy's ending...)

I haven't played Mana Khemia 2(I have it, but haven't been motivated enough to dig out a PS2 for it) but I know the basic ending beats and the endings for Raze and the female characters are mostly romantic as well.

Once they got into the PS3 era games they dropped any concept of romance entirely from then on. Not withstanding Esty's man-hungry laments regarding trying to find a husband before she reaches the dreaded 3-0(gasp), but it's never a plot point directly touched on in any way other than comedic effect. (fast forward to Meruru she's now 40 and still unmarried and given up on trying to find romance)

Donnicton on
    Once they got into the PS3 era games they dropped any concept of romance entirely from then on. Not withstanding Esty's man-hungry laments regarding trying to find a husband before she reaches the dreaded 3-0(gasp), but it's never a plot point directly touched on in any way other than comedic effect. (fast forward to Meruru she's now 40 and still unmarried and given up on trying to find romance)

Not really. You say just an option is fine. So I give you the Sterk ending in Rorona. Not to mention how Sterk and Rorona interact in Totori and how you can almost read it as a one-sided attraction by Sterk, though it's nowhere near as blatant as Kreis' unrequited crush towards Marie in Elie (though both are equally hilarious). I like how Elie wouldn't be able to continue that subplot when she doesn't have enough "interested in romance" flags, meaning she's too oblivious to love so she can't mediate the two.

And in MK, you only got the romance shoved to you at the ending without actually it being a plot in the game itself. Similar to how Rorona did it actually. While Elie actually has a love triangle subplot you can embark if you take that route (which, of course, remains non-canon).

Also, it's not wise bringing up Iris and MK since they're so far away from mainline Atelier in the first place.

And Rorona is too dumb to have a proper romance anyways. Totori outright says married life isn't for her in Meruru, and Meruru is too much of a tomboy to care.

But honestly, you give any notion of romance and the fanbase just runs with it. There are so many shipping fics for the Salburg games out there, canon be damned. Same with Sterk/Rorona. And I never really liked that.

Oh that's where we're going with this, your examples count because you say so, but my examples don't count...because you say so.

Nah I don't really have a dog in this race to the extent that I'd care to get heated over the concept like this. If Lulua turns out to be adopted, sure great. If she's Rorona's real daughter, sure great. Just bring the game to market already.

Just bring the game to market already.

May isn't that far away though obviously you can look up spoilers right away when it came out on March in Japan.

In all seriousness, I don't really mind the general lack of romance in the Atelier games. I enjoy that they're mostly about girl power and friendship and stuff. The direction they took with Esty in Meruru annoyed me, because she's friggin' awesome and absolutely does not need to be all obsessed with marriage.

But sometimes it's ok not to beat around the bush. We all know Escha and Logy are a thing, geez Gust.

In all seriousness, I don't really mind the general lack of romance in the Atelier games. I enjoy that they're mostly about girl power and friendship and stuff. The direction they took with Esty in Meruru annoyed me, because she's friggin' awesome and absolutely does not need to be all obsessed with marriage.

She's already been obsessed with it ever since Rorona. It just got worse in Meruru. You know she originally left her receptionist job in Totori to go look for a husband, until she eventually gave up and ended up working with Gio.

I find it hilarious myself.
    But sometimes it's ok not to beat around the bush. We all know Escha and Logy are a thing, geez Gust.

Judging by their events in Shallie, it's more like Escha liking him and he being oblivious about it.

Personally, I never really liked their interaction that much in EL. Another reason why I think that game is the worst out of the Dusk trilogy. Playing it, I just keep thinking that I'd rather be with Ayesha instead.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Too many Blanchimont with Blanchimont Blue and basic Blanchimont in DLC.

I always just figured that to keep with the idea of the setting and alchemy in the Arland trilogy, it's not out of the question for Lulua to be a perfected Homonculus.

That would at least be a way for them to not worry about the baby daddy issue.

wbee62u815wj.png
    I always just figured that to keep with the idea of the setting and alchemy in the Arland trilogy, it's not out of the question for Lulua to be a perfected Homonculus.

That would at least be a way for them to not worry about the baby daddy issue.

More like an ancient homunculus, with how the plot of the game is.

I've been out of the series for a bit due to work and personal issues, might be skipping the rest of Firis along with Lydle & Suele altogether. We have a new game announced, in a new land, with a new... well, thicc alchemist.

2019-05-28_042140-768x886.jpg

The name is a mouthful as well. Atelier Ryza: Queen of Eternal Darkness and The Secret Hideout. Looks like they may be trying to break the mold of the 'girly girl' protagonist, as Ryza seems to think her life is a little TOO peaceful, and heads out to find adventure and justice. Sounds like we may have a much more self-reliant alchemist this time than previous entries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtYcVa0MvPI

chara-768x900.png

Her look is interesting... apparently the thighs were something they scrutinized with for a while. Again, it's clear they wanted a thicc girl. This may be the oldest starting alchemist depending on what they choose. Also, having a weather vane for a weapon is an interesting choice.

SS10.jpg

New more aggressive combat from the sounds of it, and the alchemy system looks to be set as a tree where it branches out. More information to come out later obviously, it's being released in Japan on PS4 and Switch this fall, with a PC port coming later.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Meh, the protag's personality just screams Firis 2.0 to me. And nothing really changes from Mysterious. They even reused assets.

And all the fanbase cares is screaming THICC memes. Atelier really attracts the moe otaku crowd after all.

edited May 2019
    Meh, the protag's personality just screams Firis 2.0 to me. And nothing really changes from Mysterious. They even reused assets.

And all the fanbase cares is screaming THICC memes. Atelier really attracts the moe otaku crowd after all.

I mean, I ain't saying it's a good or bad change... just that it's change. Reused assets happens in Gust games all the time. Music and characters usually got me into Atelier games, along with getting caught up in either combat or alchemy, whichever was more interesting.

I don't care of Ryza is thicc or not, I just want her interesting, I want her to have an interesting background with an interesting goal. That I think was missing a lot in Firis and sort of pulled me away from the series, along with both combat and alchemy being resoundingly meh and having not much to grasp in the gameplay.

I dunno if Lydle & Suele is any different, but signs point to no.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    It looks like Ryza is hauling her thighs to the west. Koei are announcing a western release on June 27th.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/24/atelier-ryza-localization-announcement-teased-for-june-27-2019/

A little trailer for Atelier Ryza with some gameplay.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPzpJac9HAY

You know, I think they may be implying this woman has thick thighs. They're being quite subtle about it.

I mean, I ain't saying it's a good or bad change... just that it's change. Reused assets happens in Gust games all the time. Music and characters usually got me into Atelier games, along with getting caught up in either combat or alchemy, whichever was more interesting.

I don't care of Ryza is thicc or not, I just want her interesting, I want her to have an interesting background with an interesting goal. That I think was missing a lot in Firis and sort of pulled me away from the series, along with both combat and alchemy being resoundingly meh and having not much to grasp in the gameplay.

Ironic you say that since Ryze is just Firis 2.0. Just look at the plot summary. Add some generic darkness that would be beaten by the power of alchemy completely with no threat of bad or even bittersweet ending whatsoever.

Ironic you say that since Ryze is just Firis 2.0. Just look at the plot summary. Add some generic darkness that would be beaten by the power of alchemy completely with no threat of bad or even bittersweet ending whatsoever.

Guess we'll see then. I'd like for it to be good, but maybe Gust has lost their touch long-term.

wbee62u815wj.png
    "Okay guys, putting the heroine in hot pants went down really well, but where do we go with this new female character we're introducing? Long pants? A skirt?"

"Wait... what if... she wears NO pants at all?!"

"Brilliant!"

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    "Okay guys, putting the heroine in hot pants went down really well, but where do we go with this new female character we're introducing? Long pants? A skirt?"

"Wait... what if... she wears NO pants at all?!"

"Brilliant!"

Image link broken.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    EAVLCA-UcAElDXy.jpg

I guess that left most outfit is kind of confusing, like pantyhose with part of the jacket tucked in and panties or something?

Nosf on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    They need to give the people(Me) what they want.

Mana Khemia 3!

"Okay guys, we want someone to do a Lets Play of our fantasy RPG game. Who should we get? Some cute idols? Some professional game streamers? The voice actresses?"

"How about two beefy professional wrestlers who don't play games often?"

"Brilliant!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpfycJHaLcE

T-Danger wrote: »
    "Okay guys, we want someone to do a Lets Play of our fantasy RPG game. Who should we get? Some cute idols? Some professional game streamers? The voice actresses?"

"How about two beefy professional wrestlers who don't play games often?"

"Brilliant!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpfycJHaLcE

Which is abundantly weird considering how many pro wrestlers are gamers. Hell, Xavier Woods has his own YouTube channel where he does just that. He was invited to play MHW Iceborne at a presentation because of it.

Maybe this was some odd way for them to be ironic? I'm not sure.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Congrats on Atelier Ryza selling 150k it's first week in japan, 1.5x the highest selling point in the entire franchise (Meruru) and 3x the average first week franchise sales of ~50k. Atelier Lulua only sold 40k the first week and was the followup to the most popular trilogy.

Ryza's probably going to go down as the best selling game in the series' 22 year history so far.

Thick thighs saves lives (and franchises/jobs)? It does help that the game looks beautiful and the gameplay looks very good.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Proof that fanservice sells more over anything else. Atelier really has become a moe game franchise like Neptunia.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Proof that fanservice sells more over anything else. Atelier really has become a moe game franchise like Neptunia.

I dunno. Nights of Azure is, like, the Gust fanservice series, and I'm pretty doubtful it'll ever see a third entry.

Nah, that was just Yuri-bait.

Well, here's hoping it actually has good combat and alchemy in it. I wasn't turned off by the Mysterious trilogy because girls was skinny. I was turned off because the combat was pretty shit and the alchemy didn't make up for it.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Well, here's hoping it actually has good combat and alchemy in it. I wasn't turned off by the Mysterious trilogy because girls was skinny. I was turned off because the combat was pretty shit and the alchemy didn't make up for it.

Not to say I wouldn't want Sophie/Firis on the Vita II Switch anyway. Just toss all the damn things on it so I don't have to fire up any other consoles ever again.

From what I've seen of the game, it isn't really all that fanservicey. There's some subtle boob jiggle for sure, but the female characters aren't framed or put into any overly sexual or revealing poses or situations. It's mainly just a bunch of curvy ladies in questionable clothing going on adventures and doing alchemy. The promotional art has been more racy than anything in the actual game, at least from the footage I've seen. (Though you just know there's gonna be bikini DLC in the near future.)

Most people who buy it are pervs. Just look at all the fanarts and fanfics she got in Japan. 90% lewds that eclipse any other Atelier series in sheer numbers.

Most people who buy it are pervs. Just look at all the fanarts and fanfics she got in Japan. 90% lewds that eclipse any other Atelier series in sheer numbers.

Okay, but... so is basically every gym leader in Sword and Shield.

Sometimes it's not a sign that you made fan bait... sometimes you just made nice looking characters.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Gust have revealed a huge stack of DLC for Ryza, including new story missions, music, weapons, and of course, swimsuits!

https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/atelier/ryza/dlc01.html

The whole lot together costs $70 (converted from the Japanese price) but it looks like you can buy things separately as well.

Expensive DLCs as usual.