As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Well Jonas did make this bad boy so there's that.

https://youtu.be/-3uvf0cn0jo

I think the main problem is that a good majority of BM fans already hated the movie when it got announced. It doesn't help that the events in question have pretty much now graduated into myth and legend.

• MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Well Jonas did make this bad boy so there's that.

https://youtu.be/-3uvf0cn0jo

I think the main problem is that a good majority of BM fans already hated the movie when it got announced. It doesn't help that the events in question have pretty much now graduated into myth and legend.

I'm talking about genuinely thoughtful people not liking it, not the Varg fanboys or "I only listen to black metal" people of the world.

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Mgcw wrote: »
    That's quite a low bar, in reality we don't really know what Jonas thinks about metal or how related he's been to it since 1983. At least, I don't know. Just because he has a flair for directing music videos doesn't mean it necessarily translates to feature length movies.

That's not really true, though. He's continuously hung out around metal bands and listened to metal for decades, so he's as least as related as many of us. He hasn't been that out of it, only as a performer. He's talked about it numerous times in his interviews, and it's not like the guy gloats at all about when he was in the band. He also knows people who were directly involved in the Scandinavian scene during all these hijinx, even if he stepped away from playing. I'm not saying this means he'll do a great job, but I'm also not buying that he's a particularly unqualified person to direct this film. He's had an interest in doing it for a very long time, directed a few films over nearly two decades (not just music videos), some of which were competent if unspectacular (Horsemen and Polar at least, I never watched Spun or the others).

Sure, he's no S. Craig Zahler, the greatest multi-classed metal musician/movie director out there, but that guy was probably unavailable as he's busy with his own amazing crime dramas.
    I'd love to go to Outer Heaven but I just can't swing going to shows for a while unfortunately.

Ah, that's too bad man, thought for sure you'd head down for those.

Fair enough. I'm still interested in seeing it. I've heard more positive things from people with no metal background than with metalheads but I'm not sure if that's from the fault of the filmmakers or the fault of the metalheads nitpicking it (I know I'm guilty of that sometimes).

I'll try to see it with a clear head and will post my thoughts on it when I watch it.

From what I've seen so far it looks like Airheads 2: The Edgelord Edition, but trailers will be trailers. It's far from my most anticipated film this year, there are a good 50 or so above it, but my curiosity will get the best of me, trainwreck or no.

edited February 2019
    I'm not trying to say Jonas is unqualified, just not significantly more qualified than anyone else.

I would actually appreciate it if it happens to be like Airheads, it just doesn't seem to be the case from what I've read.

Edit: A Zahler Lords of Chaos would probably actually be a lot more interesting.

Mgcw on
    edited February 2019
    I'm not trying to say Jonas is unqualified, just not significantly more qualified than anyone else.

Fair enough.

autothrall on
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    The way I see it, there's no way there wouldn't eventually be a dramatization of these events. The story's just too sensational. And there's a sort of sweet spot with this where, if you wait too long to make it, everyone who was connected with the events is gone and way too many cinematic liberties can be taken with it, but, if you don't wait long enough, it seems exploitative and those involved will get pissed with any liberty you take with the story. Timing-wise, now does feel like the best time for it (that's not to say it's the best time for society at large to experience it, just best as a movie in isolation), and I'm glad there's someone in the production who's (even tangentially) connected to the scene. Sure, Varg is still going to get upset, but I think he's fairly irrelevant now (although, I haven't read any of his pagan philosophy stuff). From what I know of the story, Necrobutcher and Hellhammer are the only guys whose opinions (of there being a film and their depictions therein) I would care about. But, hey, Mayhem is only going to gain in popularity from this movie even if it sucks.

Annnnnyyywaaays, I should probably actually listen to some Mayhem sometime. I think I listened to bits of De Mysteriis and Ordo ad Chao once and didn't get into it much. But that was years ago. And I'll probably get kicked out of some black metal pub one day for not being able to recite lyrics from the debut. It's probably a good idea.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The way I see it, there's no way there wouldn't eventually be a dramatization of these events. The story's just too sensational. And there's a sort of sweet spot with this where, if you wait too long to make it, everyone who was connected with the events is gone and way too many cinematic liberties can be taken with it, but, if you don't wait long enough, it seems exploitative and those involved will get pissed with any liberty you take with the story. Timing-wise, now does feel like the best time for it (that's not to say it's the best time for society at large to experience it, just best as a movie in isolation), and I'm glad there's someone in the production who's (even tangentially) connected to the scene. Sure, Varg is still going to get upset, but I think he's fairly irrelevant now (although, I haven't read any of his pagan philosophy stuff). From what I know of the story, Necrobutcher and Hellhammer are the only guys whose opinions (of there being a film and their depictions therein) I would care about. But, hey, Mayhem is only going to gain in popularity from this movie even if it sucks.

Annnnnyyywaaays, I should probably actually listen to some Mayhem sometime. I think I listened to bits of De Mysteriis and Ordo ad Chao once and didn't get into it much. But that was years ago. And I'll probably get kicked out of some black metal pub one day for not being able to recite lyrics from the debut. It's probably a good idea.

If anything, I'm amazed it took this long for it to be dramatized. Over twenty-five years ago now, bloody hell.

I haven't ever managed to get on with later Mayhem, but definitely give Live in Leipzig a listen and De Mysteriis another shot. There's some good stuff on there. (Just bear in mind LiL is effectively a glorified bootleg, it's pretty raw.)

Jazz on
    Don't pass up Deathcrush either! I still hum that opening riff from time to time. So good

https://youtu.be/vcuiCW4ieek

"Deathcrush" itself is probably still one of the absolute best black metal tracks ever recorded. I love the EP, much more than their later albums (most of which I do like to an extent).

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    PSA for everyone else who meant to listen to all of Saxon's latest, Thunderbolt but didn't get around to it:

"The Secret of Flight," is a great track. Came across on Pandora earlier and woke me right up.

I went back through the last thread to see if I was just asleep when we were discussing it, but no, I only listened to the title track (which is just good).

Also, for Auto / other PIG-knowers, since it was on my mind last February, the answer is that Raymond Watts elected not to go back to sleep but to release Risen, which is his best work in years, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9NaBY9Vz10

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Is it as good as Sinsation and Wrecked?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Is it as good as Sinsation and Wrecked?

Probably not quite, but he seems to be drawing energy from the generally shithead-rampant state of the world. Beats most of what's come out since, imo.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

You ever sit there and think to yourself about how you shoulda been a drummer instead of picking up guitar? Cuz I sure do.

Like, imagine having that run Jörg Michael had from the early 80s thru the mid 90s.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    You ever sit there and think to yourself about how you shoulda been a drummer instead of picking up guitar? Cuz I sure do.

Like, imagine having that run Jörg Michael had from the early 80s thru the mid 90s.

I started on drums at 12 and added guitar and bass at 17. I mainly focus on those and my vocals now, due to developing bad degenerative arthritis in my right ankle. I can still keep a straight up blast beat for short periods, without a lot of pain, but anything more than half and hour becomes a chore.

Hardest thing I ever attempted on a kit was my dad scored me sheet music for The Black Page by Frank Zappa and I spent almost a month breaking it down a measure at a time, but I never could get through the whole thing cleanly in one shot. Terry Bozio or Vinnie Couliuta I am not.

A year or so later I mapped out all the time changes in Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater for a music theory and transcription class in college. I made myself a flowchart that took up an entire wall in the garage with the number of measures till the next change occurs.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

You'll always have more opportunities for work!

Ironically, drums are the one thing I can't play beyond a very simple beat. I should fix that at some point when I get a house.

We better be hearing some proper bedroom BM once you do!

I have to admit, I liked Rotting Christ a lot more before they went Therion.

Having said that, I'm enjoying The Heretics more than the last two.

edited February 2019

I started on drums at 12 and added guitar and bass at 17. I mainly focus on those and my vocals now, due to developing bad degenerative arthritis in my right ankle. I can still keep a straight up blast beat for short periods, without a lot of pain, but anything more than half and hour becomes a chore.

Yeah, honestly RSI prevents me from playing more. Sucks ass.

Mgcw on
    autothrall wrote: »
    I have to admit, I liked Rotting Christ a lot more before they went Therion.

Speaking of symphonic metal, when are we going to get another Hollenthon? That band has released some really good stuff.

Speaking of symphonic metal, when are we going to get another Hollenthon? That band has released some really good stuff.

Hard to say, he's busy with Pungent Stench again so I imagine it will remain on the backburner until he gets bored with that, or possibly forever.

• BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    I actually just watched Until the Light Takes Us on recommendation from a coworker and had completely missed that Lords of Chaos was releasing so soon. I have no strong opinions on the latter at this point, but it is a special kind of hilarious to see names like Varg, Hellhammer, and Faust paired with teenage heartthrob headshots on imdb
    NEPgMaN.jpg

On the former movie, I thought it was very disjointed and unsure of itself. It bounced around a lot, touching briefly on a ton of different events with very little in the way of a clear narrative throughline. The subject matter is inherently interesting to me and so I enjoyed getting an inside look at that scene but ultimately my only real takeaway from the movie is that I want to drink beer with Fenriz.

I think the main problem with the documentary is that it let Varg run his mouth unchallenged. Dude is constantly revising what he said his motivations were in those days.

That being said, I'm going to get cancer so I can use my Make-a-wish to spend a day hanging with Fenriz

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I think the main problem with the documentary is that it let Varg run his mouth unchallenged. Dude is constantly revising what he said his motivations were in those days.

I pointed this out and the filmmaker called me an idiot on Twitter. Isn't social media magical?

steam_sig.png
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    There is no reason for anyone to listen to anything Varg has to say, ever.

My color is black to the blind
    edited February 2019
    The fact that he has a YouTube channel with more than 225,000 subscribers is amazing on many levels, none of which are good.

Blakout on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Some of his content I find interesting. It's not that hard to ignore the far out stuff.

edited February 2019
    Some of his content I find interesting. It's not that hard to ignore the far out stuff.

Yea, videos like this I can get behind

https://youtu.be/7ADdTmxCvH4

That book on his table thou... Dude found a way to make a video about showing off Burzum riffs racist

Fearmeister on
    It would have been great if Fenriz got to play himself in Lords of Chaos. I know he would never do it, but I think it would be hilarious (and jarring) to see all those "teenage heartthrob"s pretending to be dark and then have Fenriz just show up and get drunk.

If I got to spend a day with Fenriz, I would definitely go hiking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlFqTUZJnpA

edited February 2019
    Pointless Varg rambling removed.

E: ugh, I really didn’t mean to derail the thread into yet another “but sometimes bad people make good music” moral dilemma, sorry. I have kind of fallen off the metal bandwagon over the last few years - I still listen to bigger releases, but I’m certainly not seeking out obscure bands like I was a decade ago. I’ve been feeling reinvigorated recently; what are some great releases (of any [metal] genre) from the last fiveish years that might’ve flown under the radar?

Blakout on
    edited February 2019
    Blakout wrote: »
    Re:Vargtube, my last post was pretty flippant and dismissive. I have not watched any of his videos and I honestly have no idea what type of content he produces. I have listened to, and enjoyed (to varying extents), a lot of his output as Burzum and I am generally all for separating art from the artist. That said, given what I know of Varg’s viewpoints and his past, I am not comfortable directly supporting him (admittedly, my knowledge is limited to a handful of articles, interviews, and blog posts and I have not made much of an effort to delve any further into his beliefs). It might be a little silly bordering on completely nonsensicle, but I personally feel like by watching his vlogs and helping his view count tick upward, I am directly contributing to, and validating, his overall world views much moreso than when I pirate Filosofem and listen to it a few times.

I absolutely don’t mean for that to sound condescending or to be taking any sort of moral high ground, and I don’t doubt that Varg has some worthwhile and interesting content worth sharing with the world, I just... have no interest in seeing it if it potentially gives him a bigger platform to spout his inane garbage from.

E: ugh, I really didn’t mean to derail the thread into yet another “but sometimes bad people make good music” moral dilemma, sorry. I have kind of fallen off the metal bandwagon over the last few years - I still listen to bigger releases, but I’m certainly not seeking out obscure bands like I was a decade ago. I’ve been feeling reinvigorated recently; what are some great releases (of any [metal] genre) from the last fiveish years that might’ve flown under the radar?

I can't believe it was four years ago now, but my friends (mentioning that for full disclosure, not humblebragging) Katagory V finally managed to release Resurrect the Insurgence, their long-delayed final album, unfortunately after they split up. It was an all-new line-up except for bassist Dustin (according to whom, quite a while after the release, it had sold a whopping twenty-seven copies), but it's a solid album that's well worth a listen. It's only on Bandcamp.

Also the last five years have seen two new Delain studio albums (The Human Contradiction and Moonbathers) along with a live album/video set, A Decade of Delain: Live at Paradiso, recorded at their tenth anniversary show with a bunch of their collaborators and even former band members guesting. Give them a listen if you like female-fronted symphonic metal that doesn't get too operatic.

On the (slightly) more operatic front, Nightwish released Endless Forms Most Beautiful in 2015, their first album with ex-After Forever singer Floor Jansen. Regarded as "good but maybe not great" at release, I think it's actually improved with age. They more recently released a new compilation album called Decades, too.

Cradle of Filth have released two new albums in that timeframe too, and they are two of the best they've ever done (as well as being the first time they've held a stable line-up together across two albums!). Hammer of the Witches and Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay are both terrific albums if you ever had any time for the band.

Also harking back to 2015 was Myrkur's full-length debut album, simply titled M. All the "controversy" about her identity is long in the past, thank God, but the album remains a gorgeous example of what happens when melodic black metal meets, well, Enya or something. It's pretty great. Best appreciated as an entire album. And this reminds me I still have get to listen to the follow-up, Mareridt.

There's a few of my picks, but I'm sure certain other thread denizens will be able to provide you with tons of others.

Edit: damn, 2015 was a good year.

Jazz on
    Blakout wrote: »
    g it if it potentially gives him a bigger platform to spout his inane garbage from.
    I’ve been feeling reinvigorated recently; what are some great releases (of any [metal] genre) from the last fiveish years that might’ve flown under the radar?

Here comes the @autothrall megapost :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Damn, that review of Bad Magic in your 2015 list got me choked up, @autothrall . :sad:

Jazz wrote: »
    Damn, that review of Bad Magic in your 2015 list got me choked up, @autothrall . :sad:

Yeah I remember revisiting that one after the fact :(

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It would have been great if Fenriz got to play himself in Lords of Chaos. I know he would never do it, but I think it would be hilarious (and jarring) to see all those "teenage heartthrob"s pretending to be dark and then have Fenriz just show up and get drunk.

Shit, Fenriz says hugging trees isn't metal. I had to do that when I visited an absolutely gorgeous redwood forest in Northern California a few months ago.

Should gaze forlornly at the trees, no touching. I guess I'm just a big softie.

*edit* Or maybe I'm just more from the Mikael Stanne branch of the metal family tree. It certainly vibes with my musical taste leanings too. *feels better*

Xantomas on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »

Shit, Fenriz says hugging trees isn't metal. I had to do that when I visited an absolutely gorgeous redwood forest in Northern California a few months ago.

Gaze forlornly at the trees, no touching. I guess I'm just a big softie.

Or you're a member of the Black Satans:

https://youtu.be/XOibIxl3dLo

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.