As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    It was a foul, but calling that a flagrant is a bit of a stretch. I must need to get my head checked.

He literally reached through the guy's head?hello?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    It was a foul, but calling that a flagrant is a bit of a stretch. I must need to get my head checked.

He literally reached through the guy's head?hello?

No he didn't. He made a play on the ball and he didn't follow through to force even more contact. Like, the only contact between players is on the follow-through where their upper arms collide, and that's because Collins is jumping forward - all of Draymond's movement after he cleanly blocks the ball is away from Collins.

You can see multiple angles here: https://streamable.com/lqqz1

I'm of the opinion that it is a borderline foul at best, because Draymond didn't just stand and hold his ground or only jump vertically (he jumps slightly forward to counter Collins's momentum). But the refs let stuff like that slide all the time, especially for superstars. Collins literally just runs into Draymond. He doesn't even try to hide it - he turns his body to protect the ball like a running back instead of making a straight jump shot attempt. That's why it looks like Draymond is aiming for his head from a bad angle.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    POTENTIALLY a foul? Hahahahha

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nobody is arguing that Draymond went for his head. Result is what matters in flagrants, not intent. He got him in the head, therefore is flagrant. Whether he was aiming for the head is not relevant.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The fact that you seem to think Draymond hit Collins in the head even though multiple replays clearly show otherwise makes it really hard to take this discussion seriously.

There is literally no contact between the two players above the shoulder except on their upper arms, and all of that contact is due to Collins's forward momentum carrying him into Draymond's body.

Given the way the play unfolded, there is absolutely no reason to think that Draymond intended to hit Collins, because he clearly went out of his way to avoid any contact outside of his hand hitting the ball itself.

• Options
    At least the Blazers are keeping up their tradition of blasting the Warriors right before the AS break. It's nice there are some things that don't change

• Options
    edited February 2019
    He caught him right across the chin.

Edit
    Given the way the play unfolded, there is absolutely no reason to think that Draymond intended to hit Collins, because he clearly went out of his way to avoid any contact outside of his hand hitting the ball itself.

Why do you keep saying this like it's relevant?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    cyberpunk basketball

Xehalus on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Can't wait till those get hacked

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    God DAMN, Diallo.

• Options
    That dunk was insane. That is not some jumping over Kevin Hart shit.

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Wasn't really sure where else to post this but here is a twitch prime code that gets you some myteam packs for NBA 2K19. Hope someone can use it. You enter it in myteam->settings->locker codes and it can be used on xbox one, ps4, switch or pc.

Loading...?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The likely #1 pick in the draft Zion Williamson is injured, will not return tonight, total status unknown

I so hope this doesn't derail his career, dude's a stud

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Thanks Obama

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    The likely #1 pick in the draft Zion Williamson is injured, will not return tonight, total status unknown

I so hope this doesn't derail his career, dude's a stud

Considering the very luke warm opinion on the rest of this class I doubt it affects his draft position at all. Kyrie only played a handful of games for Duke and was still the consensus number one pick.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    depends on the injury.

sure is dumb that he is forbidden to play in the nba and thus has to risk a major injury while playing for free while a school makes millions off him.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Yep. The NCAA should be abolished. There's nothing that the NCAA provides to the sport as a whole that the G League can't accomplish given some reform, and the college association has multiple negative effects.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games?sf207993034=1 Pretty good longform article from ESPN on how former ref Tim Donaghy bet on games he refereed from '03-'07 (which he at the time admitted to, and was fired/jailed for) and also fixed them, helping his mob-connected buddies win hundreds of millions of dollars

• Options
    Yeah I know I do this thing in this thread where I question whether refs are rigging the game, and that article lays out exactly why.

They basically scapegoated a guy who was not alone, and let everyone else stick around. It's almost guaranteed that at least one ref or official in the NBA is currently rigging games and just hasn't been caught yet.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    there is no doubt in my mind that scott foster was connected to that ring. he's constantly rated one of the worst referees in the league and also constantly gets big games somehow. he talked to donaghy constantly during that window as well, frequently just before or after donaghy placed bets with his bookie.

the fbi briefing stern on donaghy was a real big fuck up.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Considering Donaghy lost everything (pretty sure his wife left him and the rest of his family are estranged) I don't really see how or why he'd cover other officials or allow himself to be their scapegoat

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Considering Donaghy lost everything (pretty sure his wife left him and the rest of his family are estranged) I don't really see how or why he'd cover other officials or allow himself to be their scapegoat

Because of the Mafia.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
  • Options
    RIP NCAA

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    RIP NCAA

NCAA basketball was just fine when it was 18 before.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    RIP NCAA

The NCAA will be fine, but a whole fuckton more dudes are going to be drafted straight out of HS now vs previously. Like I would expect 90% of the US draftees to be straight from HS now vs only 2 or 3 guys per draft previously.

March Madness will maybe even be better this way and the NCAA, again, will be fine.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    RIP NCAA

Nah, they are fucked. You're not accounting for how times have changed.

Remember that the one and done rule was introduced nearly fifteen years ago. Facebook was less than a year old. Youtube was independently owned. Twitter was more than a year away from existing. Instagram wouldn't exist for another five years. In 2005, Myspace was sold for 580 million and was the most visited social networking site for another three years to come.

The world was different.

Players had no avenues to promote their own brand independently of wealthy organisations and promoters. They needed the NCAA to get any exposure at all. They do not need them now.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Even towards the 2005 date when the one-and-done rule was implemented, the rate of high school players declaring for the draft was increasing. Of the forty four total players who have ever been drafted straight from high school, thirty (almost 70%) of them were drafted after 2000.

Twenty one of the forty four, almost half, were drafted in 2003, 2004, and 2005 alone.

The trend was already shifting towards drafting out of high school. Why do you think the age limit was even instituted? NCAA coaches and administrators saw their disgusting, undeserved multi million dollar salaries and contracts under threat from the modern world and acted appropriately to preserve them. Time is just catching up to them, that's all.

The NCAA as an institution will be fine. Amateur college sports will continue, and it'll probably regain some of its "purity", whatever that means. But the multi million dollar salaries for coaches and administrators? Those are done.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Those multi-million dollar salaries will stick around because the schools still have a ton of money and the March Madness brand is incredibly strong. And live events are still the last bastion of TV ratings - for example, WWE is fucking awful right now yet we’re able to sign billion dollar TV deals for multiple shows. Anyone thinking this will in any way impact the NCAA or its member schools from a financial standpoint are deluding themselves.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    You really think that skimming the top 30-60 of talent out of the NCAA every year isn't going to affect ratings?

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    You really think that skimming the top 30-60 of talent out of the NCAA every year isn't going to affect ratings?

Nope! Especially because you seem to be vastly overestimating the impact this will have.

Let’s take the 2005 draft, the last year high school players were eligible to be drafted. Only 2 of the top 10 came from high school (with the first being Martell Webster at #6). There were more players drafted from overseas (4) than from high school (3) in the first round. You would think that this being the last year where high school players were eligible would have a more pronounced effect on the draft as a bunch of guys had to know this was their last chance to leave early instead of play at least a season in the NCAA. Yet it turns out that everything was fine!

Now, I think the switch back means you won’t be getting the Zions or Ben Simmons of the world, but more than enough guys will still choose to go to college, and I’d even say that the quality of play would probably improve as top teams end up with more continuity.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    I think it will have an impact. The question is one of degree.

I think the NCAA will still be around, but there will certainly be less money and influence going around that was geared towards getting players into the NBA. But there's still a huge amount of money and influence going around that is strictly about the schools themselves - brand name and alumni support in particular. All the players who are good but not good enough to make it into the NBA will take the spots of NBA-bound players, and so on down the line.

The NCAA is fundamentally corrupt, and taking away one layer of pressure from the professional sector is not going to change a lot of the issues they are facing today around refusing to pay players for their work and being able to throw them aside with absolutely no recompense the second they can no longer play.

• Options
    The NCAA is fundamentally corrupt, and taking away one layer of pressure from the professional sector is not going to change a lot of the issues they are facing today around refusing to pay players for their work and being able to throw them aside with absolutely no recompense the second they can no longer play.

That's another point to be considered.

Allowing the very best to skip the NCAA does not solve any of the institutional corruption that exists there, and the better solution by far would be to just require them to actually pay the fucking players.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    As much as there is a difference between how College and the Pro game is played a lot of players still need more time to develop their skills and most of those players are still growing and getting bigger and need to learn how to be less awkward as well. Most people aren't going to be ready to play in the NBA right out of High School even if they are really good.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Magell wrote: »
    As much as there is a difference between how College and the Pro game is played a lot of players still need more time to develop their skills and most of those players are still growing and getting bigger and need to learn how to be less awkward as well. Most people aren't going to be ready to play in the NBA right out of High School even if they are really good.

I have always disagreed with this approach.

A year in the NBA will lead to far more development than a year in the NCAA, even if it's spent on the bench. And for playing time, the G League will also do better than the NCAA.

You're around a far higher grade of trainers, a far better standard of player generally, and the environment is far more similar to what you'll eventually find in the NBA.

Ben Simmons has repeatedly stated that the year he spent with Philadelphia while injured and not playing was far more valuable in acclimating him to life in the NBA than the year he spent at LSU.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Playing in some European leagues also puts you against superior competition than you would face in the NCAA. And the quality of coaching, from an X's and O's perspective, is likely also superior.

This discussion has been closed.