As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I know we will never get it, but I think WH1&2 show that it can be a good medium for 40k (battles wise).

Imagine a bunch of 10-20 man marine squads with a couple of landspeeders, bikes, and dreadnaughts duking it out with a Waaaaagh

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This was the video where I was like, "I don't understand half of what I'm seeing, but I'm just going to go with it."

https://youtu.be/Mu7UUYEhK3E

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i wouldn't say a 40k game from Creative Assembly is, like, impossible, necessarily, especially given that these Warhammer games have been some of their highest-selling titles ever and gave new revenue to an essentially dead product in Warhammer Fantasy Battles. and since Dawn of War 3 was something of a let-down to fans in some ways, i'd say it's not likely that we'll see a Total Warhammer 40k, but the pieces are all there.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    i wouldn't say a 40k game from Creative Assembly is, like, impossible, necessarily, especially given that these Warhammer games have been some of their highest-selling titles ever and gave new revenue to an essentially dead product in Warhammer Fantasy Battles. and since Dawn of War 3 was something of a let-down to fans in some ways, i'd say it's not likely that we'll see a Total Warhammer 40k, but the pieces are all there.

Before TW Warhammer I would've thought the idea of a TW 40k game would be ludicrous.

Now though? I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see it in the future. Like you said, all the pieces are there and 40k is easily GW's most recognizable and successful property.

What I have a hard time picturing is the scale of the conflict. Would it be just one planet? A system? A sector? Maybe it could be centered around the Cadian Gate (RIP).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    i imagine it would probably be centered on one important planet, maybe even a planet invented for the game since GW can be pretty guarded about their canon in weird ways sometimes

the other way to do it would be to have the galaxy as the board with various sectors or whatever serving as provinces and the planets therein serving as regions within the province. or vice-versa, whichever one is correct, you know what i'm saying here.

that way, you could do different planets with various environmental hazards and resource production and cultures/their own lore, you could introduce some races that don't have much of a tabletop presence like the Hrud for example, and you'd also have the fun of "well these territories aren't connected, but it's just a hopefully-short hop through the Warp! hope we don't get Event Horizon'd or displaced in time!"

which would actually be a fun mechanic...

edit: the other important thing to note is the working relationship that Creative Assembly and GW have developed, which seems to be really amicable! two companies working closely together to make two very successful products, and a third oncoming and likely just-as-massive success, are likely to find excuses to continue working together. i hope so, at least, these games have basically been money-printers and the fans are wild about them.

Metzger Meister on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Setting seems pretty easy to handwave since it's been done before -- hell, Dawn of War did the planet and solar system ideas for their Total War-esque campaign maps in Dark Crusade and Soulstorm.

Given that it's not so much about line infantry ranged combat like Empire was -- I don't see how a squad with plasma guns is super different from any of the fire while moving 360 degree archers that are already in TWW -- it's not super insane.

edited February 2019
    I think I would want it take place in a Sector at least.

If they are feeling a bit adventurous they could have the Sector be the macro level. Then have the Sector be divided in to 7-10 sub-sectors that you can zoom in on to have a mid-level view. Then each sub-sector can have 3-8 star systems that you can zoom in on for a micro-level view. With each system containing anywhere from maybe 1-12 conquerable planets and moons. I think I'd end it there and just have planets and moons act as cities do in the other games.

That'd be perfectly doable and since anything that isn't system level is basically generic empty space I don't think it'd be much of a strain on resources. Hell, that could simply be their "Mortal Empires" map. They could easily have campaigns focusing on a particular sub-sector and factions with a special win mechanic.

edit- But I swear, if the Imperial Guard are mother fucking Cadians I'll be terribly vexed! They're dead GW! Let em rest and let someone else take over as the iconic Guard. I recommend the Armageddon Steel Legion.

Axen on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    No no no. Crap companies like Scintillan Fusiliers or Savlar Chemdogs. Or even better, Scintillan Fusiliers AND Savlar chemdogs, because the inter-regimental dynamics will be great :P

Or Valhallan Ice warriors (because it was the greatest treason that Winter assault featured Cadians instead of Valhallans).
    Or Indigan Praefects, which imho have the coolest uniform designs in 40k.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Axen wrote: »
    I think I would want it take place in a Sector at least.

If they are feeling a bit adventurous they could have the Sector be the macro level. Then have the Sector be divided in to 7-10 sub-sectors that you can zoom in on to have a mid-level view. Then each sub-sector can have 3-8 star systems that you can zoom in on for a micro-level view. With each system containing anywhere from maybe 1-12 conquerable planets and moons. I think I'd end it there and just have planets and moons act as cities do in the other games.

That'd be perfectly doable and since anything that isn't system level is basically generic empty space I don't think it'd be much of a strain on resources. Hell, that could simply be their "Mortal Empires" map. They could easily have campaigns focusing on a particular sub-sector and factions with a special win mechanic.

edit- But I swear, if the Imperial Guard are mother fucking Cadians I'll be terribly vexed! They're dead GW! Let em rest and let someone else take over as the iconic Guard. I recommend the Armageddon Steel Legion.

They're not dead though.

Like millions are shipped off all the time to fight other wars. There are plenty of Cadians left in the galaxy.

But I vote a mixed warhost of like Valhallan, Krieg, Armageddon, and Harakoni with separate generals similar to the Warhammer legendary lords. Light infantry in the form of Elysians, Catachans, and Tanithians and cavalry regiments like the Attilans.
    If and only if Valhallans sound Russian, Kriegers sound German, Armageddoners sound Austrian, Harakoni are space Western Americans, Elysians are French, Catachans are Catachans, Tanithians are Scottish, and Attilans sound Mongolian.
    Accidentally put down "catchans" for Catachans. Sure bring the Felind abhuman auxiliary force too.

Kadoken on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I really think an epic scale game would work well. Units could be like a kitted out squad of 10 marines or a unit of 20 IG or orks. It would still be relatively small for TW but I think it would work well in the engine.

Gotta catachan them all!

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    edited February 2019
    Well they did a 2nd live stream of a Yuan Shao campaign and I've decided that I just need to stop watching the sneak peaks until after the game is out. I'm at the point where I want to get my hands on it and am unsatisfied watching an easily distracted player waddle through 2 hrs with not much to show for it. (2-3 major battles, 3 territories taken with autoresolves, they recruited Lu Bu, so you get to check out his stats as there are now).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxwyAMdMDtY

EDIT:

Also, don't duel Lu Bu. He has a passive that ramps up the longer he's fighting the duel for. Increased damage at 5-10 sec intervals that reaches a maximum of 400%. He also receives a debuff that makes it easier to hit him up to -40 or -50% avoidance.

Kruite on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Looking at Lu Bu's new look, TW's upping its hasubando game. Its true to the story anyway.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Man why do they have like all of Korea?

Is it just going to be a trade port again?

I think TW:TK might be the first total war game I'll mod since I darthmodded Empire.

That is, if someone makes some real Traction trebuchets instead of the counter-balance abominations we have in the game right now.

I think TW:TK might be the first total war game I'll mod since I darthmodded Empire.

That is, if someone makes some real Traction trebuchets instead of the counter-balance abominations we have in the game right now.

May I ask...why is the current siege weapon a problem and what makes the traction trebuchet so desirable

edited February 2019
    Kruite wrote: »

May I ask...why is the current siege weapon a problem and what makes the traction trebuchet so desirable

Because counter-weight trebuchets weren't invented until more than 1000 years later. It's about as historical as playing medieval total war and then suddenly someone rolls in with miniguns.
    Traction trebuchets though were used in china through out its entire history. Everything from small ones only using a dozen people to massive trebuchets using hundreds of people.

Fiendishrabbit on
    edited February 2019
    That's fair, why are these trebuchet's in the game then?

Kruite on
    I have to assume it's because they didn't want to make a new unit model and are just reusing the trebuchets from Total Warhammer.

Which is pretty lame -- that feels a lot more "old CA" than it does new "let's get super wacky with all of the faction units" total warhammer CA.

i wonder if it's not just due to having to explain "no see this is a trebuchet just not the more famous kind and-" that they might get from people who don't know the history as well as they think they do.

edited February 2019
    It's possible! To me it seems a bit less likely than the other alternative though. I'm trying to step through who they would "offend" by including a historically accurate (and harder to model because they already have the european version) Chinese trebuchet and I'm not coming up with much. I like history a lot but am only familiar with Chinese history at a very macro level, and had no idea they had trebuchets at all. I know that trebuchets were considered hot shit in Medieval Europe, so I would probably react with a "whaa?" to including the European version if Fiendishrabbit hadn't just explained it. Since it seems like the people to be "offended" would be people who don't know what a traction trebuchet is, you would wind up with someone who:

1) Has no idea what a trebuchet is either way. Hopefully they realize it's a thingy for knocking down walls, but nothing lost here either way.
    2) Knows what a European trebuchet is from video games / pop culture but don't really know the arch of technology to get there. I feel like they just wouldn't care, or more likely be like "Huh, that looks different. I guess it's like a Chinese trebuchet" (the entire game setting is China and that's incredibly obvious from all of the advertising even if you have no idea about Chinese history, and I know if I were totally ignorant and saw unfamiliar stuff I would just shrug and assume it's a Chinese variation of something I'm familiar with)
    Then yeah there is probably
    3) WHAT IS THIS THING THIS DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A TREBUCHET I'M MAD

but I feel like that's super bottom of the barrel bad streamer type reaction. I know CA loves the streamers like everyone else, but it seems like most of the ones who stream Total War on a regular basis aren't incredibly dumb.

Then of course you have the very die hard history total war people who will rage for months and months before and after launch about the trebuchets being historically inaccurate. Fuck the dramatic ones, of course, but the only reason I see to not just throw them a historically accurate bone is just budget for modelling / animation.

Fiatil on
    edited February 2019
    This is Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I think historical accuracy has already flown the coop in a pretty big way.

edit- Which I'm fine with. Romance is certainly more exciting.

Axen on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah I think it's just "People want trebuchets and this is how they think trebuchets should look"

I mean it's not like any of the other Total War historical games have ever actually been historically accurate either. Like a core part of the game balance has always been "send swordsmen in to break spears!"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    They could have called them mangonels. That's what they were called in Age of Empires.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah I think it's just "People want trebuchets and this is how they think trebuchets should look"

I mean it's not like any of the other Total War historical games have ever actually been historically accurate either. Like a core part of the game balance has always been "send swordsmen in to break spears!"

Its mostly ahistorical when you have samurai or knights specializing in one kind of weapon at a time, but in reality they both used long reach weapons as their main weapon and switched to their swords as side arms.

In Rome:Total War they actually get it right with phalanx units switching to swords when they're caught out of formation or flanked.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    DzcHt8yWkAASToO.jpg
    Zhang Liao is a model of professionalism and organisation, having led many successful campaigns over his military career. Valued by any army he is a part of, Zhang Liao often uses his sharp negotiation skills and his even sharper blade to ensure victory.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The most recent total war: warhammer patch has updated the "Anti-x" designation from "provides a bonus to damage" to "provides a bonus to damage and to hit". Does anyone know if this was simply an updating of the text or if it was a boost to anti-x units?

wbBv3fj.png
    edited February 2019
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The most recent total war: warhammer patch has updated the "Anti-x" designation from "provides a bonus to damage" to "provides a bonus to damage and to hit". Does anyone know if this was simply an updating of the text or if it was a boost to anti-x units?
    That should just be a clarification/tooltip update and should always have been the case.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fD1rzvghxc

New Campaign Battle footage, this time in records mode!

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    Watching that again, it's hard to really come to any conclusions with how dumb the AI was and how anemic the presenter's play was.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    AI command priorities clearly need some work. The AI was clearly issuing conflicting orders to the cavalry near the end there; waited to long to try and charge the crossbow units.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-february-2019
    As we said in the last what the teams are working on blog, the Fantasy New Content Team is powering away at a Lord Pack DLC – which we can confirm will be the next content released for the Total War series!

You may have noticed that we sometimes include Old World Updates alongside our DLC releases, and this DLC is no exception as we are working on a bespoke new feature for one of the WARHAMMER I races that’ll have you bending the knee.

dhetyhuya4l5.png

Fantasy Team – pre-production

The Fantasy Team is still very much hard at work in pre-production for their next project.

This month they’ve been slaving over a hot (for February) mocap studio, with some excellent performances by our resident mocap artists now in the can and waiting to have that all-important digital flesh applied to their bones. Or perhaps more bones, or indeed flesh. After all, some things just can’t be legally motion captured…

Oh, Bretonian update, neato

Does this mean no skaven&Lizardmen update?

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Does this mean no skaven&Lizardmen update?

They might get a free unit or something? But the Lord Pack will probably make some changes.

If I'm reading it correctly, the lord pack will be the Skaven & Lizardmen update -- the image and everything else they're talking about is the "Old World Updates alongside our DLC releases", ie free Bretonnia update alongside the DLC pack similar to the VC changes alongside Vampire Coast. The DLC itself will be Queen & Crone Rat/Lizard edition with new units and lords.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I am very surprised to see Brettonia before empire and greenskins.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm surprised because Bretonnia was a recent addition and their mechanics hold up pretty well.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    They've said we're getting more DLC after the next lord pack, so I'm gonna guess Bretonnia was just easier to get out while they probably have a lot of hands on deck trying to get Three Kingdoms out in time.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Having both undead armies abbreviate as VC is inconvenient at times.

This discussion has been closed.