As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Auto Chess] Drodo's Auto Chess, Dota Underlords, and Teamfight Tactics!

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I always seem to lose hard in my first couple of games of a night, then win hard in the next couple.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I've had some pretty lousy luck (and play too, don't get that wrong. my play was awful) today, tanking back down to bishop-6 after peaking at just a few MMR under rook-1.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    this was the most absolute rude horseshit i've ever gotten
    kaujftW.jpg

i didn't lose a single round once i got the troll warlord, and had been saving attack accessories but then got lucky even on top of that in the late game. it was honestly just insane.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Lol, Mjollnir on Troll? Yeah, that's a GG.

So I think the part of this game where I am struggling is what to do if the RNG fucks with me. 8 guys on the field is all well and good but if most of them are 1* I’m still going to lose.

steam_sig.png
    I'm still struggling at that myself because there's a LOT to it, but I am aiming to improve by being more perceptive of what the other players are buying. If I can retain better knowledge on which chess pieces are removed from the pool, I have a better understanding of the odds at any given strategy to come together. From there, it's just on me to make high percentage plays and hope that the dice fall my way. I currently spend most of my time looking at my own board, which means I'm not getting information about what pieces the next shop roll is more likely to produce.

Problem with that is mostly in the s tier stuff like razor and shadow fiend where everyone is on the hunt in the midgame. Knowing what to do to respond to that is what I need to improve on.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I think I'm done with Auto Chess. There's just too much RNG to the point where it's making it not fun. Like, I checked all my opponents and they for sure didn't have any of the stuff I needed and I still couldn't find any of the stuff I was looking for. I do kind of want to take a crack at making something similar myself with less RNG, though. I think there's a kernel of a cool thing there, but what's there has too many problems as is.

Stabbity_Style.png
    i just had a game where i got matched up with the guy who hadn't lost a round 4 out of 5 rounds when there were still 6 people left.

that was extremely painful, shot a gaping hole in my healthbar that slowly got whittled down. no real chance at winning, but i think i had a chance to podium.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I rolled 50 gold for my last dragon knight when someone else had just one and i didn't find any :(

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of thinking this would be a good way to relax after a frustrating day at work, instead I tanked my rating from Knight-8 to Knight-2 with really poor play and bad decision making. Took a break and watch some TV and came back and managed two 2nd place finishes and a win to crawl back to Knight-7 at least.

just was in a game with 1 person who had 100% at round 30 and the remaining 3 of us all with 10% and basically entire ranking was determined by who got matched up with them.

was a shame because i was only a puck from finishing dragon and mage synergy for a huge number of turns. nobody else was building it either and i didn't get a single one the entire game. rngesus plz.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Ended my night with Troll/Knight team. Finally vindicated D:

I think my latest string of losses are mostly because I failed to see what units are in the pool and waited for the wrong ones

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    i never know when to abandon my synergies and transition to $5 units. like, ok i got this lich, but what is it really doing for me? doesn't seem like much.

or i'll get a gyro and sometimes it feels like the most powerful unit in the game and other times it just takes an hour to generate mana and falls over after the fight is lost. not sure.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Lich and gyro are difficult ones. For lich I will usually put him in if I have useless synergies on weak characters or switch him in for whoever is giving me the undead or mage bonus. Gyro/techies I will usually swap him in for out of date synergies/weak characters. By out of date/useless I mean like warrior or gobo synergy end game.

Tidehunter, void warlock guy are usually try and squeeze in no matter what.

steam_sig.png
    As KafkaAU said, 5* units are usually there to fill or replace weak early game units. Tide and techies are rather tanky and all of them provide some sort of AoE damage or CC.

Enigma (Element/Warlock) - Perhaps the best AoE in the game because Enigma's ability does % damage of hp, provided it hits of course. A must have against tanky comps like 6 Warriors or 6 Knights. Like the Lich, should to be in the backlines because he's squishy but needs to take a little AoE damage at least to generate mana to get the his ability off before dying. 2* is a godsend. Warlock synergy is a plus.
    Gyrocopter (Dwarf/Mech) - I typically put gyrocopter in the opposite corner, away from my main cluster of units to bait spells and assassins so that they gyro can get some energy for his ability. Pretty decent late game AoE and pair him with Techies
    Lich (Undead/Mage) - Easy source of late game Undead synergy but Lich 1* is squishy. Chain frost slows attack speed and is a targeted spell that simply can't miss. Best advice is to field this piece for the synergy or wait till 2*
    Techies (Goblin/Mech) - Despite being ranged, this chess piece is actually pretty tanky and is more valued for their abilities' AoE damage. As such, they should be in the frontlines or pretty close to trigger set off their bomb ability quickly.
    Tidehunter (Naga/Hunter) - Frontliner that has an AoE CC ability. Not much to say except that Tidehunter is almost a instant buy because of his ability and being a piece of the Naga synergy.

urquanlord88.png
    edited February 2019
    heh just had a game end where the last 3 of us were <10%, and i'm pretty sure we all would lose to one person and win against the other. somehow it worked out that i got 2nd even though i lost the round because i guess the other 3rd place person lost more, and the person who won i beat the previous round without losing more than 2 pieces.

never seen a game that close at the end for the entire top 3. was nuts. i had dropped to 4% with 6 people still in and managed to somehow hold it together which felt good.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    heh just had a game end where the last 3 of us were <10%, and i'm pretty sure we all would lose to one person and win against the other. somehow it worked out that i got 2nd even though i lost the round because i guess the other 3rd place person lost more, and the person who won i beat the previous round without losing more than 2 pieces.

never seen a game that close at the end for the entire top 3. was nuts. i had dropped to 4% with 6 people still in and managed to somehow hold it together which felt good.

Think it matters who went out first. So if you survived longer, you got 2nd.

steam_sig.png
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

Think it matters who went out first. So if you survived longer, you got 2nd.

yep, finish order is entirely based on time of death; for that reason if you're about to die but think someone else is also about to die, it's optimal to move to a far corner of your island so you take damage as late as possible

had a few good games today and one more win. I wonder what the long term looks like for this game, it seems to be continuing to do solid numbers and I imagine they are doing alright selling candies at least for the moment. Also has anyone else run into an issue where you cant select a unit off your bench, like you hover over them and its like the unit is not actually there.

just lost from 50 hp in 3 turns because with 6 people left i got matched against the top guy who had a ridiculous setup 3 turns in a row. 2nd to 5th in 3 turns, fuck :/

item and matchmaking rng feel so terrible

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited February 2019
    New Patch, unofficial notes:
    -Player health bars reflect team colour
    -Blink dagger added: "Blink to the farthest available grid on this column".
    -Human synergy 3s disarm --> 4s silence Humans silence instead of disarm now
    -Troll synergy 35/35 --> 35/30
    -Elemental synergy stoneform 3s --> 4s
    -Terrorblade base attack +5
    -Crystal maiden aura correctly applies to all units
    -Shadow fiend removed passive attack bonus
    -Fixed the bug where units sink into the ground
    -Fixed the bug where units are not retreived when the board has 30+ units
    -Fixed the bug where dead players can still buy units

At least SF was nerfed.

Also, I keep forgetting to sell my 3* Tree and my 3* Enchantress towards the end game. Pretty sure that cost me a game.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    Human change is interesting.

Curious to see if CM is viable too now that her only thing actually works lol.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    SF nerf, thank Gaben. Hope that knocks him down a few pegs. SF was insane.

ah apparently the human change is just a gigantic nerf because in autochess units wouldn't cast their ult while disarmed.

that's unfortunate, i didn't feel like humans were particularly powerful.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Troll/Knight/Warlock is pretty easy to achieve!
    Same with Druid/Elf/Beast

I tried to give my 2* Enigma a Blink dagger with Elemental trait which seemed prudent but got instantly silenced by KotL :(

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    hm. pretty sure i just lost a game because of the lich orb bounces between pieces on your bench bug.

was winning very, very hard on my board but the other guy was winning on his too, but less. i was way behind from a couple earlier rounds in the 1 on 1 where he was crushing me hard before i rolled a couple important pieces. instead of pulling him down so i had a shot at winning before i lost to trolls, he kept treading water until i eventually lost to trolls by 1 unit. bummer.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Found a reddit post that might help with evaluating some of the tribals

The basic of how bonus work in this game is that each bonus tier provide a separate buff, which works independently from each other. This is evident by look at your unit on combat. There are buff icons on each unit. In the case of warrior (or any bonus), if you have 6 warriors, you will see 2 buff icons on a warrior.

On this basic, the following bonus are additive (stacks by adding numerical value): Beast, Orc, Undead, Hunter, Mech, Warrior, Warlock

Naga and Mage: The magic resistance stacks differently. Each buff or debuff acts as an amplification modifier, and thus they stack in a multiplicative manner. How it work: a debuff of -40% magic resist acts as a x1.4 modifier to magic damage received. A buff of 20% magic resist acts as a x0.8 modifier to magic damage received.
    With 2 Mage bonus, affected unit take 100% * 1.4*1.4 = 196% normal magic damage received
    With 2 Naga bonus, affected unit take 100% * 0.8*0.6 = 48% normal magic damage received
    With 1 Mage bonus and 1 Naga bonus, affected unit take 100% * 1.4*0.8 = 112% normal magic damage received

Probabilistic bonus (change to trigger): Each instance of the bonus work independently from each other, so they follow the probability distribution of events. There are some neat mathematics stuff involved, so I will try to stay away from the calculations.

Knight: The mechanic for shield triggering is not when the knight attacked as stated by the tooltips. Rather, it checks every 3 seconds for a chance to get triggered. The shield gains 30 armor and an instance of 75% magic resist for 3 seconds. When 2 knight buff trigger at same times, the knight actually gains 2 shields (60 armor, 94.75% magic resist). Using the latest values (30, 30, 30), I calculate the following distribution:
    2 Knight: 1 shield: 30%, 0 shield: 70%
    4 Knight: 2 shield: 9%, 1 shield: 42%, 0 shield: 49%
    6 Knight: 3 shield: 2.7%, 2 shield: 18.9%, 1 shield: 44.1%, 0 shield: 34.3%

Remark: The improvement from 1 shield to 2/3 shield is not very significant. So you are most interested in the percentage chance of being affected by at least 1 shield, which is 30%, 51%, 65.7%

Assassin: By DotA 2 mechanics, when 2 crit are triggered on the same attack (from 2 or more sources of critical strikes), the one with the highest modifier take effect over the other crits. Calculated similar to knight, the distribution for 6 Assassin is 8% x3.5, 20% x4.5, 72% no crit.

Elf: Similar to Knight, except when 2 miss chance occur, it is simply counted as a miss attack. So we can have a simpler explanation: Assume your elf has 100% chance to get hit. The first bonus reduce this by 25%, so your elf now has 100% * (1 - 25%) = 75% chance to get hit (25% miss chance). With the second bonus, the current chance to get hit are reduced by 25%, so the new chance to hit is 75% * (1 - 25%) = 56.25% chance to get hit (43.75% miss chance).

Human: Can be calculated similar to Elf. Using the value (20, 25, 30), the equivalent chance is 20%, 40%, 58%

Other bonus:

Troll: At 4 Trolls, trolls receive 2 buffs, non-trolls receive 1 buff

Goblin: At 6 Goblins, all goblins receive the buff, then 1 random unit from all units (goblin or non-goblin) receive the buff. (This means a goblin may receive double buffs)

Elemental: At 4 Elementals, elemental receive 2 buffs (equivalent to 51% chance), non-elemental receive 1 buff.

urquanlord88.png
    2x 2* Techies is a very silly thing. I actually got 2 more as well, one away from a 3* techies. Pretty much every round was pure rng, i'd win by 8, lose by 8, rngesus take the wheel!

Did end up coming in first over 2 bishops though, was nice.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    took a few days away from the game to play Anthem with some friends over the weekend. Honestly, even having a good time in Anthem I was tempted more then once to bail and boot up auto chess. Came back today to two real good games and clawing my way back to Knight-8.

Video from last week from BSJ explaining some fundamentals of autochess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMj8aF01Jo

It's recorded 2/7 so some of the patch details might not be totally up to date but the video is focused on improving your play in a very general sense.

I watched the positioning one he put up as well and found it super helpful.

edited February 2019
    Yeah I do agree with what he says in the positioning video. I tend to split the board into 2 4x4 squares and start the game playing mostly in one of those squares then spreading out when AoE becomes more common. That way, I can sort of keep my weaker ranged units in a corner while placing some other expandable unit between them and a free space vs assassins

EDIT:
    Now TB swaps his hp with highest hp ally when using his ability. Probably not such a great idea since TB usually kills anything that is near him and relys on tanks to mitigate further damage. Further pigeonholes him as a 'selfish' unit.
    EDITEDIT:
    I really hate 6 Elf teams when I go Trolls. Usually it'll be when I go Troll/Knight and the majority of my damage comes from auto attacks. Luckily I was super far ahead of my last opponent and just rolled the usual gaggle of high cost units (Tide/Medusa/Disrupter) but man, losing a couple of rounds to 2k crits of PA sucks a lot.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i put a refresher orb on doom yesterday and that was funny

liEt3nH.png
    I decided to play a game when I woke up before I had to start getting stuff done around the house. Started ok getting a lvl 2 Ogre Magi on round 3 and then a level 2 Shadow Shaman the next round. Mid game got a little dicey as I never really had any specific lineup going for me and was just kind of relying on not losing too bad while I built up an economy and could start getting a bit of a level advantage. Finnaly started to turn it around late game with some lucky rolls and and some good positioning to deal with a bunch of assassins.
    Im happy with the second place finish but YO ALSO I HIT BISHOP-1 IT WAS A GOOD MORNING.gOQY5Ur.png

just lost a game where i was in a nice solid 3rd around round 15 i got matched against the top 2 people who hadn't lost literally every round for 7 rounds and was first eliminated. i lost 6 ranks.

thanks game. i think the rng can be interesting but for christ sake that's just stupid.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Yeah apparently there's a cheat going around in public games that will give you a lot of income. I think I might just take a break until that's sorted out

urquanlord88.png
    - New chess pieces added: Riki(3 cost, Satyr Assassin), Mirana(3 cost, Elf Hunter), Death Prophet(5 cost, Undead Warlock)
    - Added species trait and class perks: Satyr: Concealment, (9) Elf: Evasion, (9) Assassin: Coup de Grace.
    - Slark reworked: Replaced Shadow Dance with Pounce. Cost reduced from 3 to 2.
    - Alchemist reworked: Replaced Acid Spray with Chemical Rage. Attack rate decreased by 0.3.
    - Decreased Horror (Undead combo) Armor reduction from -5/-7 to -4/-6.
    - Decreased Hunter's Pack (Hunter combo) bonus attack damage from +30%/+30% to +25%/+25%.
    - Increased Power of the Wild (Beast combo) bonus attack damage from +10%/+15%/+20% to +15%/+20%/+25%.
    - Balanced Scale Armor (Naga combo) bonus magic resistance from +20%/+40% to +30%/+30%.
    - Decreased Battle Hardened (Orc combo) bonus HP from +250/+350 to +200/+300.
    - Decreased Razor's Plasma field AoE from 400/500/600 to 400/450/500.
    - Decreased Beast Master's base attack rate by 0.2.
    - Improved Lina's base attack rate by 0.3.
    - Decreased Lina's Laguna Blade cooldown from 13/10/7 sec to 10/8/6 sec.
    - Increased Witch Doctor's Paralyzing Cask number of bounces by 1.
    - Increased Tinker's Heat Seeking Missle damage by 50 per missle, balanced cooldown from 7/6/5 sec to 8/6/4 sec.
    - Decreased Disruptor's Static Storm maximum damage from 100/200/300 to 100/150/200.
    - Reworked appearance for Phantom Assassin★★★. Now she SEEMS to have more criticals.
    - Reworked cosmetic appearance for Lycan★★★.
    - Reworked cosmetic appearance for Enigma★★★.
    - Added two Immortal items for Axe★★★. The son is always guaranteed extra sweets.
    - Early Termination: During the first 2 turns of a game, you can use a button at bottom right to propose an early end of the game. The game will automatically end if more than half of the players have either made proposal, failed, or disconnected.
    - Added a "total gold involved in the game" display in post-game stats, and a report button. (Only for reporting hacks, cheating or improper language. Please do not abuse the function when losing a game or having a bad luck)
    - You can no longer give items to chess pieces during the cheering stage after winning a round, to prevent bugs that can cause game to crash or make your items mysteriously vanish.
    Posting on mobile, excited to get home to try out. Apparently, people are already abusing the ban system and Amaz has already been banned because of it

urquanlord88.png
    I tried out one game and got a couple of the new units. Death Prophet can do a lot of damage but has to stay alive to do so with little health and no armor, making it one of the weaker 5* pieces. 4undead does seem much easier to go for, though.

Riki's Satyr bonus hides your bench from other players when a Satyr is on the bench. It is interesting but probably not great.

Mirana is super confusing. Her ult targets other chessboards. I still don't get it.

Apparently it aims at the board where your units are "attacking". I like the concept if that is the case

urquanlord88.png