As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    MK4 was great because it brought back Johnny Cage, the true hero of humanity.

But I was also a Quan Chi main for that game, because the Leg Rip Beatdown fatality never stopped making me laugh, and I could copy my opponent's fatailty if I wanted to.

Wasn't Cage in the master version of three?

I don't think he was in UMK3, but he was in MKTrilogy that was released for the PS1/Saturn/N64. That was like a dream version of UMK3 because it added so much. New moves to pretty much everybody, new characters like C/Khameleon and Rain, playable bosses Motaro, Goro, Kintaro and Shao Khan, the AGGRESSOR bar and Brutalities.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Jade looks great but I've never been great at characters with attacks that pass through or reflect projectiles. I'm guessing the customization will help with that. Still want Kitana more.

• Options
    If Jade is in, Kitana is likely in as well. Given Milenna's death in MKX, and that the story includes some time manipulation, she's a bit of a wildcard.

The trailers show Liu in non-revenant form, but at the end of MKX, he was very much a bad guy with Raiden, along with Kitana. I wonder how they'll get from Point A to Point B.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

But I was also a Quan Chi main for that game, because the Leg Rip Beatdown fatality never stopped making me laugh, and I could copy my opponent's fatailty if I wanted to.

I don't think he was in UMK3, but he was in MKTrilogy that was released for the PS1/Saturn/N64. That was like a dream version of UMK3 because it added so much. New moves to pretty much everybody, new characters like C/Khameleon and Rain, playable bosses Motaro, Goro, Kintaro and Shao Khan, the AGGRESSOR bar and Brutalities.

They dropped Johnny from the series (via killing him offscreen before MK3) because Cage's actor, Daniel Pesina, dressed in Cage garb for an advertisement for a competing fighting game, so Midway stopped working with him.

When MKT came around and they basically had EVERY character, they had to bring him back, so they just went "Johnny's soul was able to reenter his body and come back to life due to the chaos in the realms from Shao Kahn's invasion. Afterwards, he died for real.

Until MK4 when he went he saw his friends fighting Shinnok and went to the Elder Gods in the Heavens and went "Send me back so I can help them" so he got brought back to life. Again.

They poke fun at this in Deadly Alliance where Cage is making a Mortal Kombat movie that he hated because the plot was him dying and coming back repeatedly.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I was pretty decent with Kitana back in the MK9 days

Came pretty close to winning a tournament we had on the boards here with her

Jade is a character I like a lot conceptually but was never any good at her

• Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular

Rain was hilarious.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    For real though. Jade has never gotten a chance to shine. She’s always saddled with that Kitana/Mileena baggage. It wouldn’t be awful to examine her character absent all that stuff and being stuck in the shadows of other characters’ storylines.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The problem with that is Kitana is almost certainly going to be in the game, whether it's as a playable character or an NPC.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just give Jade a variation with the fans, like how Kitana had the staff in MKX.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The slow rollout of this game’s roster makes me wonder what makes a strong MK lineup.

I’m sure there will be character packs augmenting things but I’m really curious what characters are considered iconic enough that they can offset the exclusion of others and still make the game feel sufficiently MK.

I’d say having Kung Lao and Kenshi both would make up for a lack of any of the other earth realm warriors in a given game.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me how the Fuck Tekken got Negan instead of MK?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how the Fuck Tekken got Negan instead of MK?

Because a bad game deserves a bad character

• Options
    Negan is too lame for the game series that had Leatherface and (Not Englund) Freddy Krueger as paid DLC characters? Nah. He'd fit right in. Seems like a miss to me.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Nah they tend to go for exaggerated or supernatural baddies. I'm not saying hes completely out of bounds for MK, just waydown the ladder, I wouldn't say they missed getting him. There's about a thousand franchise villains I'd want to see in MK before we got to him, not even as a comment on the character quality itself, just as a general vibe overlap

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I mean, Jason is an unstoppable force. He's just a guy with a machete until he starts flat out ignoring fatal injuries and just doesn't stop. Freddy is a kind of demon that hunts you in your dreams. They're both supernatural killers who fit right in with the likes of, well, 90% of MK's roster.

Negan is a guy with a barbed wire wrapped baseball bat. He's a menacing villain but not exactly someone who pulls their own head off and breathes fire from their skull. Mortal Kombat is always at its best when the characters get absurd.

• Options
    He's definitely exaggerated. Suuuuuper exaggerated really. I will say I never thought of him for the series until I saw the Tekken reveal, which made me want him in this game.

• Options
    Personally TWD has been a trash fire since S2 so keep it away from everything

I'd much rather have another interesting character like the Turtles in Injustice. After all that talk of Spawn being in Injustice, he'd be a good fit for MK

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I'd much rather have another interesting character like the Turtles in Injustice. After all that talk of Spawn being in Injustice, he'd be a good fit for MK

S2 was pretty bad and they've done some very good seasons since

• Options
    I hung on for a while, until like the prison facility arc

Honestly I gave up on TWD because I'm convinced the showrunners had no idea what they were doing, they just threw shit at the wall to see what sticks. Neegan only seemed cool because for a second there was a compelling bad guy in the show who wasn't mustache twirlingly bad. It all makes sense when you realize they guy who helmed the first season was an amazing film director, who had the show ripped from his hands.

Anyways, off topic, sorry

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I hung on for a while, until like the prison facility arc

Honestly I gave up on TWD because I'm convinced the showrunners had no idea what they were doing, they just threw shit at the wall to see what sticks. Neegan only seemed cool because for a second there was a compelling bad guy in the show who wasn't mustache twirlingly bad. It all makes sense when you realize they guy who helmed the first season was an amazing film director, who had the show ripped from his hands.

Anyways, off topic, sorry

I enjoyed it until someone pointed out that each season follows the same pattern. They find somewhere good, slowly ruin it, have a big fight and move on.

• Options
    I wonder what the odds are that some kind of guest fighter pack will happen in 11.

Then again, the more I think the more unlikely it would be that fighters from other companies would be bundled together under a single DLC price being a plausible thing at all. Still, after all the fun of Injustice 2’s expanded roster I’d like to see a similar level of ambition in MK11.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Yeah, Spawn would be a great fit for the MK universe. All chains and hell energy and majestic flowing cape.
    He sounds more like a later MK fighter than Sonya or Kano do.

• Options
    I could imagine Voldo working in MK. Kind of a Baraka/Mileena/Sheeva hybrid.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Walking Dead's writing had a large jump in quality starting with season 4 and has remained solid since.

I'm still holding out hope for Doomslayer as an Mk guest. That game was badass, and I swear there was enough melee kills in that game that you could build a fighting game character around it. Not to mention all the guns.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    People are speculating that the "TER" character found in achievement strings might be the Terminator, which wouldn't be the worst pick.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    People are speculating that the "TER" character found in achievement strings might be the Terminator, which wouldn't be the worst pick.

Would fit right in with the time travel plot, as well.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
  • Options
    This may be off point but... shouldn’t we know more than we do by now? I can’t tell. This rollout is throwing me for a loop.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    This may be off point but... shouldn’t we know more than we do by now? I can’t tell. This rollout is throwing me for a loop.

Such as what? Further roster developments? There's still 60+ days to release I think.

I hate spoiler season for anything, just gets super boring as I just want to see the entirety of <thing> but I don't think it's out of line at the moment

• Options
  • Options
    Wow, they went all-out on that one.

• Options
    I'm ok with him being where they have fun. That mime stuck in a glass box autocounter was fantastic. Also love the doll at the end, I want one!

• Options
    The slow birdie at the end of the fatality is brilliant.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The slow birdie at the end of the fatality is brilliant.

*take 19*

"Who hired this fucking guy?!'

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I was going to say "No mime Johnny, no buy," but they anticipated it and exceeded my expectations. Johnny looks fun. Very flashy. Flash Kicks, elbows, shadow kicks, the extra coming in to stun the guy. That fatality is *chef kiss*

• Options
    Having Cage get his stunt double to run up and grab his opponent

brilliant

• Options
    after all the hype i expected to be disappointed by the cage trailer.

i was not disappointed

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I like that his fighting style is basically Jean Claude Van Damme with props and a stunt double.

• Options
    Cage has never been a favorite character of mine, but this trailer is really making me like him.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Cage has never been a favorite character of mine, but this trailer is really making me like him.

agree with you there. i never cared about cage pretty much at all, but MKX did a lot to get me interested. i find it a little weird that sonya looks so young but cage visibly has gray hair. he did in MKX but sonya also looked older as well