As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I say let it work on either.
    Abbalah wrote: »
    So with this cheat is healing spirit 10d6 + 40 for a second level spell slot? Because mein gott.

For each person, yeah. 20d6+50 if you cast it out of a level 3 slot, in case you for some reason need to heal every party member for ~120 with a level 3 spell.

Of course, if you decide that Disciple of Life doesn't work for that either, then the same level 3 spirit only heals everyone for about 70 each, likely full-healing anybody below level 10 or so, so perhaps Disciple of Life isn't the problem there.

given the 5-foot aoe of the spell, even though the wording implies a team can literally sprint in circles as a conga line and all get healed, I just ended up making it 'one person per round' when I used it. I don't like the metagamey nature of a druid convincing his party to revolving door in such a way.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Everyone perform the dance of healing!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Everyone perform the dance of healing!

You put your right stump in, you pull your right hand out, you put your right hand in and you shake it all about.
    You do the healy fealy and you feel kind of nice
    All without dropping your limited hit dice

see317 on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Going to cross-post this in here for a spread of advice:
    Zonugal wrote:
    So I will soon be retiring my Forest Gnome 'Mastermind' Rogue as I want him to go train with some Elvish Wu Jens before hitting 6th-level.

But I'm having some turbulence over my options for Wizard subclass.

My goal is for him to only specialize in elemental spells but I also don't want him to be strictly combat-focused with his spell selection.

My projected spell-list to be prepared might look something like:
    Expected Spell-Prepared Rollout
    - Cantrips: Control Flames, Gust, Mold Earth, Prestidigitation, & Shape Water
    - 1st-level: Absorb Elements, & Detect Magic
    - 2nd-level: Dragon’s Breath & Gust of Wind
    - 3rd-level: Fireball & Protection from Energy
    - 4th-level: Control Water, Stone Shape, & Wall of Fire
    - 5th-level: Conjure Elementals, Control Winds, & Wall of Stone
    - 6th-level: Investiture of Flame, Investiture of Ice, Investiture of Stone, Investiture of Wind, & Move Earth
    - 7th-level: Whirlwind
    - 8th-level: Control Weather
    - 9th-level: Wish

With that said, the ideas I've had for sub-classes are:
    - The Artificer sub-class from Unearthed Arcana. The character is already a trained alchemist/brewer, so it would make sense with his background while also providing him some fun things to do with his spell-slots that aren't directly tied to spellcasting.
    - The Transmutation sub-class, which offers another approach to alchemy.
    - The Theurgy sub-class from Unearthed Arcana (using the Nature domain from Clerics). This, like the Artificer sub-class, gets me some more unique abilities tied into the elements.

Thoughts?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Bit late returning to the conversation, and others have said what I will, but still.
    Using a spell to make a magic doodad that restores hit points to a creature fits that description even if the actual HP gain is delayed from the time of spellcasting. I mean, consider a healing spell that works like Sacred Flame: You cast the spell and light up your hand, and then sometime later you can use an action to touch someone and heal them - should that spell work with Disciple of Life? It's functionally got the same relationship to the expenditure of the spell slot as Goodberry.

Well, but no, it doesn't. You're not using a spell* to restore hit points to a creature; they're eating a berry that will restore a hit point and nourish them. Sure, they're the result of a spell, but they aren't the same thing as the spell itself (for instance, you could Counterspell Goodberry but that wouldn't work on the actual berries themselves, for which you'd need Dispel Magic. I know that's horribly wasteful). Same with Elvenshae's summon example: it's not the spell directly doing the healing, so using a summon doesn't work. The official designers have said differently, but they're reading their own rules wrong (which is also an admitted thing that can happen--see Crawford's flopping over Shield Mastery). And no, it's not broken to allow--I'm highly Lawful, and it's not the rule.

If, on the other hand, you had a leveled spell that works like Produce Flame and lets you hold the charge before you expend it, that's still the spell itself, so Disciple of Life would certainly apply.

And before anyone asks, Healing Spirit** doesn't exist in any of my worlds. 20d6*** hit points per character out of combat for a 2nd-level spell slot is excessive, and that would break the verisimilitude of any game I would be in. Re-reading the spell, I don't think it should work with Disciple of Life either, however, as the spirit is explicitly doing the healing.

* I did amend that to "spell slot" in my previous response because I didn't want to type out "leveled spell" / "spell of 1st level or higher." Sorry if that caused any confusion.
    ** If it did, I would require the character's reaction to use as well. 10d6 total, spread out over rounds, is a bit more reasonable.
    *** Yes, that's the intentionally typed number.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    I think arguing that it's not the rule requires splitting hairs that don't exist, but that aside I'm also pretty sure that "I'm highly lawful so I enforce the rules as written because they are The Rules irrespective of their impact on game balance" and "I houseruled this RAW spell out of existence because it's poorly balanced" aren't mutually compatible notions.

Being highly lawful sometimes sounds pretty chaotic to me!

This has been today's convenient segue into discussing the much less contentious topic of alignments.
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Going to cross-post this in here for a spread of advice:
    Zonugal wrote:
    So I will soon be retiring my Forest Gnome 'Mastermind' Rogue as I want him to go train with some Elvish Wu Jens before hitting 6th-level.

But I'm having some turbulence over my options for Wizard subclass.

My goal is for him to only specialize in elemental spells but I also don't want him to be strictly combat-focused with his spell selection.

My projected spell-list to be prepared might look something like:
    Expected Spell-Prepared Rollout
    - Cantrips: Control Flames, Gust, Mold Earth, Prestidigitation, & Shape Water
    - 1st-level: Absorb Elements, & Detect Magic
    - 2nd-level: Dragon’s Breath & Gust of Wind
    - 3rd-level: Fireball & Protection from Energy
    - 4th-level: Control Water, Stone Shape, & Wall of Fire
    - 5th-level: Conjure Elementals, Control Winds, & Wall of Stone
    - 6th-level: Investiture of Flame, Investiture of Ice, Investiture of Stone, Investiture of Wind, & Move Earth
    - 7th-level: Whirlwind
    - 8th-level: Control Weather
    - 9th-level: Wish

With that said, the ideas I've had for sub-classes are:
    - The Artificer sub-class from Unearthed Arcana. The character is already a trained alchemist/brewer, so it would make sense with his background while also providing him some fun things to do with his spell-slots that aren't directly tied to spellcasting.
    - The Transmutation sub-class, which offers another approach to alchemy.
    - The Theurgy sub-class from Unearthed Arcana (using the Nature domain from Clerics). This, like the Artificer sub-class, gets me some more unique abilities tied into the elements.

Thoughts?

If you're able to use UA stuff, Lore Master wizard is both very good and very elemental-y. Modify your spells on the fly, change their elemental damage types so you can cast Thunderball instead of Fireball, even change which save a spell targets and try to come up with a reason why this Fireball forces an INT save instead of a DEX one. Plus, be a big nerd with double proficiency in all the knowledge skills and a small initiative bonus.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh, if I thought I could swing Lore Mage I would, but I would feel pretty guilty bringing it to my table.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Doesnt make them not a summon.

Goodberry should not get +3. Both for balance and thematics/logic.

Care to expand on this?
    For thematics logic because goodberry is not a “healing spell”. It is a summon spell.

For power because duh. Goodberry is already one of the best low level HP spells in the game. It provides roughly 50% more healing than cure wounds while also having perfect discrimination with regards to overhealing. If it heals four times as much its as powerful as a fourth level spell and basically obviates any other spell at that level as well as breaking health economy as soon as its up.

The only reason you would give the +3 to the first berry is to give your player something for the effort without breaking the game. (IE Healing goes from 10 to 13 instead of 10 to 40)

Now you might say “but healing spirit”. And healing spirit doesnt qualify either.

And i dont really care what the designers think until they officially give the thief rogue archetype back its 3rd level ability.

wbBv3fj.png
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    10 actions to heal 40 HP is in no way as powerful as a fourth level spell. It's barely better than Prayer of Healing, a largely unimpressive 2nd-level spell. Taking a feat to make a specific 1st-level spell as good as a 2nd-level spell is not a gamebreaking thing to do.

Goodberry is the most efficient level 1 healing spell for out of combat healing, and that has value because healing in combat is generally a poor use of combat actions, but it's a little disingenuous to compare it to Cure Wounds/Healing Word on a power level basis without accounting for the fact that the latter can be meaningfully used in combat and Goodberry can't, because Goodberry takes an action to cast AND another action to eat each of the 10 berries.

I mean, compare Magic Initiate for Goodberry to other out-of-combat healing feats you could take instead, like Healer and Inspiring Leader.

Leader is gonna give you ~20-60 temp HP per short rest spread across the party, depending on level and CHA mod and party size. Healer lets you hand out ~7+character level healing to each party member for free (technically, at a cost of 5 whole silver for the healer's kit charge) as an action each short rest. Both are pretty close to being equivalent to a Life Cleric'd Goodberry in terms of their impact on the HP economy; both can only go off once per short rest, but neither costs a spell slot, whereas goodberry can go off 4 times per long rest - a marginally but not significantly better rate than once per short rest - at the cost of all your level 1 spell slots. They're relatively close in overall power level, and you probably didn't even remember exactly what those other feats did until I described them because nobody takes them because they're not that good.

Goodberry+Life Cleric is somewhat better (mostly because, as mentioned, it's better at avoiding overhealing), but it ought to be, since it requires a particular class and subclass setup on top of its feat cost while the others are largely class-agnostic. The degree to which getting 40 HP out of Goodberry 'breaks the game' is being wildly overstated.

Life Cleric Goodberries simply aren't that big of a balance concern. They're a cute optimization trick, a little above the power curve, but not significantly so, and located in a part of the game engine that is pretty resilient to disruption ('healing too much between fights' has a much harder time breaking gameplay than, for example, 'dealing too much damage in one turn'). People just see that you're adding a modifier to a thing ten times instead of once and assume it must be broken without actually assessing the real impact.

The Healer feat is almost straight-up "cast a free life cleric'd goodberry that gets additional bonus healing that scales with your character level, without spending a spell slot, once every short rest, but you have to split the berries evenly across the party so sometimes a few of them get wasted" and if I were in here talking about how I ban the Healer feat at my table for power level reasons I doubt there would be many people who found that idea compelling.

I think arguing that it's not the rule requires splitting hairs that don't exist, but that aside I'm also pretty sure that "I'm highly lawful so I enforce the rules as written because they are The Rules irrespective of their impact on game balance" and "I houseruled this RAW spell out of existence because it's poorly balanced" aren't mutually compatible notions.

If the hairs don't exist, I'm happy to listen to an explanation, but I've laid out what the rules say. The healing here doesn't come from a direct application of the spell but from eating the berry, which isn't the "you" target of the feature.

Judging from your responses, I don't think you have something other than "it's not too powerful"? And I agree with that, more or less, but there's no reason Goodberry needs to be more powerful than it is, either: it already provides "on-curve" healing and a whole day's nourishment for a creature. I don't know what the intention was regarding Goodberry and Disciple of Life--I suspect they never really considered it--but going by what they wrote it doesn't work, and I don't see any reason to arbitrarily buff a spell that performs fine already. If I want more healing in the game, it's really easy to change that in other ways that don't have weird consequences down the road, like giving summoned creatures your class features.*

I am pretty lawful, but that wasn't meant to be a hugely serious comment, and now you're treating alignment like a real-life person can only ever act in one way based on this descriptor. So let me explain some of the differences just so you don't think I'm philosophically incompatible with my being. Healing Spirit isn't a core rule, and it stands out massively compared to other spells. It makes no sense that it'd exist alongside any of the other spells--how did druids and rangers figure out how to conjure this extremely powerful spirit that outperforms other possible healing options until nigh-epic magic? For clerics to channel extra healing magic they have to spend 10 minutes doing it, and it still doesn't cover as much as "hugging a primal nature entity for a minute." Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me, and given that it's a later addition to the rules I don't think there's any baked-in assumption that it's a "default" choice for a D&D setting. If they print a spell that says "This instantly kills any creature ever and gives you one level," I don't have to allow that in my games, either.

* Maybe you don't agree with doing that! That's fine, but it's not the apparent logic you've laid out before when it comes to Goodberry, which is that the spell eventually causes healing so it must benefit from Disciple of Life.

Me elsewhere:
    So perhaps another avenue of discussion, because I don't think we're going to make any headway from a strict rules perspective on the issue, is one of thematics.

Does this combo come into conflict with the thematics of your game/world? If so, why?

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So Dragonheist is coming up on it's close at my store and I figured I might as well give some final thoughts on it (as well as how I had the last fight play out).

The biggest issues I have with what should be a bit of a fun madcap romp through the New York of Faerun, is that it simultaneously makes a bunch of assumptions about how the game would play out (not bothering to provide information for players who do something different), doesn't let the players influence the plot really (they're pretty much locked into whoever the seasonal villain is barring borderline meta gaming and/or the campaign going flying off the rails) and includes content that will be almost worthless as a result of this (the players in my campaign were up against Jarlaxle but most of the focus was on the Zhentarim street brawling with the Xanathar guild and at no point did the casalanters factor in) with side faction content largely just cluttering up the narrative.

Like, I can see potential here, but this module needed more time in the oven.

Now that having been said, the last fight of my campaign devolved into a Clusterfuck pretty quickly. I had decided to let the players have a "boss fight", but I really didn't want them to have to fight Jarlaxle (who would have annihilated their party if he had a handful of minions to prevent him from being swarmed) and instead opted for the fight to have a Draegloth and one of the gunfighters jump the party in the vault; a level 7 and a level 4 should have made for an interesting fight for 9 level 5's of various classes (and 3 of whom were carrying intellect devourers).

Interesting was certainly the order of the day.

One player proceeded to flee as fast as possible, 4 got confused real bad almost immediately, 3 players were stuffing gold either into their pockets or a portable hole, and the others were trying to figure out a way out of the pit... all on turn one. Meanwhile one player who fought his way up to an overhanging bridge managed to find the gunslinger descending via levitate and blasting the shit out of various party member.

The gunslinger got obliterated in short order though; a series of "rule of cool" actions caused the players to tackle him out of the air while sneak attacking and the cavalier was able to lance charge and *nail* him to the ground... poor guy only got one round of shooting off.

As to the Draegloth, it's confusion spell wreaked way more havoc then it had any right to; while the players didn't generally attack each other, multiple wound up derping out for upwards of 4 or 5 rounds so that really cut down on the number of active combatants that I had to worry about and amazingly: there were whole rounds where players were ignoring it which allowed it to lash out at players with impunity (and ultimately slaughtering one of them).

That having been said, they did get clever with how they beat it; they realized that since they had a portable hole they could concievably just throw it down there if they could out muscle it and the one player, who rolled as the classic dumb half orc fighter was up to the task of force moving it in that direction with a series of super effective athletics checks, though this wasn't entirely without cost; I gave the thing a dex save to let it have a chance to grab the edge (which worked the first time) and a character litterally named Detective "Arcane Trickster" Dwarf tried to force it to let go by stabbing it's hand to see if he could make it let go out of pain... and found himself being thrown down the hole by the half fiend... and then went down the hole.

Further confusion abounded as one of the players popped out his intellect devourer and attempted to devour the intellect of another player... who was also possessed leading into a weird meta discussion of what happens when an ID engages in canabalism.

Next week I'm going to resolve this whole thing, but this was pretty much the climactic battle; worked out a lot more interesting then how the module would have nominally ended with a Charisma check.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    So perhaps another avenue of discussion, because I don't think we're going to make any headway from a strict rules perspective on the issue, is one of thematics.

Does this combo come into conflict with the thematics of your game/world? If so, why?

Naw, I think it's awesome. More healing through spells means less time characters have to buy heaps of healing potions. As a DM, my players are buying batches and batches of healing potions and I enforce action to use an item unless fast hands.

If they think they can get all the healing they need from tricky spell setups ... good. The whole party benefits. And if they benefit then I as DM benefit.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You know I actually think I'm okay with the interaction for 2 reasons 1 healing spirit is already just a full party heal every time you use it in most cases this is like throwing a ping pong ball on a fire that's about it. Little extra flash on the burning inferno isn't gonna change the end result of casting the spell in most cases. 2 disciple of life gives you a solid reason to up cast goodberry. I wanna see someone nuke a 9th level spell slot for 120 hit points of healing. It definitely makes the life cleric shepard druid top healer, but that actually seems like it makes more sense. It's a character that specializes in healing groups of people.

My real wonky question: would you give the disciple of life bonus to the health recovered by the shepard druids unicorn spirit totem?

Sleep on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I was gonna have my players fight an eidolon in a sacred statue today (from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes). However, while the party was talking to the disembodied eidolon just before the planned fight, the wizard cast disintegrate on the inanimate statue and destroyed it instantly. He didn't even know it was an eidolon the party was talking to; he just found the religious freak ghost annoying and wanted to destroy its god's likeness.

Hexmage-PA on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Damn it I just remembered I need to name my izzet goblin wild sorcerer. My first thought is like an ultra obvious play on Niv-Mizzet and you can't tell if it's intentional idol worship or specific rivalry but also I will refuse to ever acknowledge the similarity.

Like, Nivmiz?

Damn it I just remembered I need to name my izzet goblin wild sorcerer. My first thought is like an ultra obvious play on Niv-Mizzet and you can't tell if it's intentional idol worship or specific rivalry but also I will refuse to ever acknowledge the similarity.

Like, Nivmiz?

Yezitzwild is my vote for a name.

Me elsewhere:
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Miv-Nizzet

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Toothy wrote: »
    Miv-Nizzet

Shalom

steam_sig.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    curse of strahd continues to go well, half the party is mad with paranoia, my aasimar, the paladin, and the "bride" vasilka are sequestered away in the amber temple while the bard and warlock seek an alliance with the dark powers in the other part of the temple

I've got faith in the DM but I really hope this isn't heading to a PVP confronation, I'm playing an aasimar wizard with high charisma (so... not min maxed), the warlock is a hexblade sharpshooter with lucky and eldritch smite so he can literally KO my wizard in a single arrow because hes Munchkin Mcbullshitman (for example, when we entered the amber temple his devil's sight spotted an arcanaloth chilling in magical darkness and his opening arrow did 72 damage, the arcanaloth didn't get to do anything before it died)

the level of tension is absolutely wonderful though

override367 on
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I say let it work on either.
    So with this cheat is healing spirit 10d6 + 40 for a second level spell slot? Because mein gott.

For each person, yeah. 20d6+50 if you cast it out of a level 3 slot, in case you for some reason need to heal every party member for ~120 with a level 3 spell.

Of course, if you decide that Disciple of Life doesn't work for that either, then the same level 3 spirit only heals everyone for about 70 each, likely full-healing anybody below level 10 or so, so perhaps Disciple of Life isn't the problem there.

given the 5-foot aoe of the spell, even though the wording implies a team can literally sprint in circles as a conga line and all get healed, I just ended up making it 'one person per round' when I used it. I don't like the metagamey nature of a druid convincing his party to revolving door in such a way.

If you're not in combat, you don't have to worry about the "conga line" meme that the internet made infamous. A group of 5 or 6 people can probably all gather around a 5ft area easily. It's not a small area if you think about it. We use the rules in combat to make the mechanics easier to work through. Out of combat just toss it. It's what I've been doing for Healing Spirit when the druid tosses it out for people to gather around and heal from.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Like, Nivmiz?

That but backwards

Zimvin

Not quite right

Zimvink

Hnm

Zingvink?

I thought everyone basically had to get into a cuddle puddle and share their feelings to get team healing out of healing spirit

but yeah I make it cost a reaction to use healing spirit to heal someone, but it is not concentration, so its actually useful in combat as well as still being the best out of combat healing spell for the value

I've mostly used the Monster Manual card set when I DM, but I'm looking into monsters from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes now. Am I wrong, or do a lot of the monster abilities in that book feel very 4E-inspired?

For example, take the wastrilith. I looked up its stats in previous editions and found that it could emit a cone of boiling water and had several spells. The 5E version, in contrast, has no spells, gives the demon the ability to make water around it poisonous and difficult to swim through, and replaces the boiling water with a water spout that pulls a single target 60 feet.

edited February 2019
    m6ty0zz8jvsv.jpg

How much longer until they officially replace the original Demogorgon design with the Stranger Things one for all of D&D?

Hexmage-PA on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Threads been quiet for a couple days.

One of the folks in our group has her birthday this weekend and for it she asked if we could do a long game session so we're gaming from 3-10. It's pretty awesome. Going to finish up wave echo cave and get to level 5.

We're also going to have a big ole platter of nachos with cake for dessert.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I love long sessions. I really do.

I complain about the length of time between my core groups weekend bender sessions, but when they finally arrive I have such a great time.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I'm finally getting a chance to be a player, which is exciting. I decided to make a celestial warlock of Amaunator, god of the sun, bureaucracy, and following rules to the letter. He's a bounty hunter of sorts, for people who violate contracts. This is a sort of celestial outreach program, a "make a contract with me and become a magical boy" type deal, to try to solve problems in a more efficient manner than Amaunator's normal structure can.

He's kind of a jerk, and I'm going to spam illusory cover with the free Silent Image, which should be fun. He has a wand which is a fancy golden fountain pen.

Still not sure what exactly we're playing, but I think it's either Sunless Citadel or Tomb of Annihilation.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I love long sessions. I really do.

I complain about the length of time between my core groups weekend bender sessions, but when they finally arrive I have such a great time.

Yea our normal sessions are about 3 hours weekly, which is fine but there is usually a half hour of non game banter as we all catch back up.

The long sessions though. So much gets done! We only do them 2-3 times a year and they are always an event.

webguy20 on
    My local "Dads" group is like that. We meet every three weeks between 6:30 and 10pm but someone is inevitably late because wife A missed the train or someone else had to make sure dinner was made before they left for game night or whatever adulting excuse comes up. Then we end up sidetracked midway through with jibber jabber about how Child B is in trouble at school and then how Child C is just like her mother and yadda yadda yadda.

Last session was particularly bad. We did only 1 room in Wave Echo Cave all night. Hopefully tonight is more on track.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    My buddy wants to test out the waters of DMing. I'm rolling a four halfling group to play for him. Help me name them.

Fighter
    Wizard
    Barbarian
    Rogue

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    My buddy wants to test out the waters of DMing. I'm rolling a four halfling group to play for him. Help me name them.

Fighter
    Wizard
    Barbarian
    Rogue

I don't know... seems like you got this one all wrapped up.

it's the classic tale of four halflings as narrated by one barely even drunk dwarf don't you dare cut me off

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Filbo
    Wilbo
    Bilbo
    Rilbo

wbBv3fj.png

Fighter
    Wizard
    Barbarian
    Rogue

Huey
    Dewey
    Louie
    Webby Vanderquack

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ol' Jim
    Steve "Peanut Butter" Warwrick
    The Hobbit formerly known as Baron Von Zwei
    Older Jim

edited February 2019
    In my tomb of annihilation game last sunday, the Druid tried to defeat a trap room solo, being smashed to a pulp and taken as a prisoner by a succubus that she bad mouthed during the fight.

Druid wakes up in the place where creatures that try to leave the tomb of the nine gods go, along with a genie that tried earlier, and a slaad. Hags torment her for a while while the succubus whines that she should get to keep her. Druid refuses to cooperate on even a basic level with the hags who end up dragging her to the mirror of life trapping and forcing her eyes open until theres a flash and she's seeing her own body, as if through a window, standing up dumbly and going where it is led. The succubus gleefully starts tearing her armor, weapons, and clothing off and putting it on. Druid sees her own soulless body get dragged away by tomb guardians for some purpose and the giggling succubus' devilish features vanish, and turn to match her own as she's putting her stuff on.

Sunday: "The Druid" rejoins the party, with AMNESIA and no ability to cast spells.

The player will be playing one of the Guides and not rerolling, as the party has the command words for the mirror and there is a decent chance they can actually put the druid back together, assuming they see through the succubus' act and don't walk into a trap

Edit: Also two party members lost limbs to the sphere of annihilation trying to fight with it? grab it? etc. The bard has the ring of winter and I let her create artificial limbs with it, if it can create a living creature or an ice castle why not a foot or an arm? The catch is, each limb uses up one of her two "Slots" for creatures

override367 on
    Last session was particularly bad. We did only 1 room in Wave Echo Cave all night. Hopefully tonight is more on track.

Tonight's session was much better! We're almost done with Wave Echo cave. Next session should be the final battle with the Black Spider.

Nothing spectacular to report except that the Barbarian used the Dwarf cleric as a battering ram to bust through a barricaded door! Good use of the aid another action, IMO. First they politely knocked and tried to deliver a pizza though. The Bugbears were waiting for them and unloaded with readied actions as they poured through the door. I love beating a party almostto death. Good times!

I'm wondering what do with then next though? Starting at level 5, I'm thinking either Tomb of Annihilation or Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Anyone here have practical experience with Mad Mage? Thoughts?

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Fighter
    Wizard
    Barbarian
    Rogue

Hobbit
    Nelwin
    Peck
    reepacheep

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Tonight's session was much better! We're almost done with Wave Echo cave. Next session should be the final battle with the Black Spider.

Nothing spectacular to report except that the Barbarian used the Dwarf cleric as a battering ram to bust through a barricaded door! Good use of the aid another action, IMO. First they politely knocked and tried to deliver a pizza though. The Bugbears were waiting for them and unloaded with readied actions as they poured through the door. I love beating a party almostto death. Good times!

I'm wondering what do with then next though? Starting at level 5, I'm thinking either Tomb of Annihilation or Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Anyone here have practical experience with Mad Mage? Thoughts?

Have you considered Storm King's Thunder? That's what my DM did with our slow casual group (took us over a year to finish LMoP, whilst ignoring bmost sidequests).

Aldo wrote: »

Have you considered Storm King's Thunder? That's what my DM did with our slow casual group (took us over a year to finish LMoP, whilst ignoring bmost sidequests).

That's what we're doing too, rolling into SKT. Our DM didn't like the setup to the module so that's why we did LMOP.

This discussion has been closed.