As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wargroove] The Advance Wars game we've waited 10 years for!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Ooof, finally hit a mission that's really giving me heartburn. 4-2. Anyone have suggestions on how to manage it?
    Heavensong getting a dragon at turn 6 is fucking rude as hell.

edit: spoilered mission event
    just remember the basics, don't stand on roads, mages kill flyers (or a ballista but thats $$$), and your hero can take a lot of hits from even a dragon as long as not on a road
    My first instinct was to scatter and try and grab as much economy as possible, but that ended up leaving my mages and archers scattered during their push. I would have probably survived the initial assault minus that dragon. Just not really sure what to do differently besides obviously not trying to block them on the bridges. Maybe rush a trebuchet? AI seems to really aggressively avoid going in their range.

do you just want to beat the level or are you going for S rank? If you want S rank i'd check a youtube video :(
    for just general beating it strategy.
    i took the second barracks as quick as i could. i pushed left and mid but not top that fast. I used my horse to kind of kill enemy units at the top right area but i didn't hurry to take that building. The computer reacts mostly to where your hero is. so i played with my hero in the middle of the map, using it to take hits and retreat to heal up. For building, i built pikeman and i then built a second wagon to transport people to the mid and bottom left as fast as possible. I pretty much built pikeman every turn until i could afford other things. I built one harpy (the 600 cost one), and i built one or two more mages, and one more archer. Later on i built trebuchets to take out the capitol building. I did not get an S rank but eventually just built up a tidal wave of pikeman backed up by my hero, archers, and trebuchets for the final push.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Interesting. While I like pikemen I almost never bother using them, especially on larger maps simply because of their mediocre movement (and what must be my terrible logistics at using them).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    two pikeman can kill anything below giants/commanders/flyers. So to me they are the most economical choice, along with wagons they are really really good.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    two pikeman can kill anything below giants/commanders/flyers. So to me they are the most economical choice, along with wagons they are really really good.

A handful of pikemen scattered all around, plus one or two pikemen on wagons as support has been working very well for me. (I'm up to 5-1 now.) Whenever/whereever you need a critical hit, use a wagon to drop one pikeman immediately adjacent to where the attack will be, then move and attack with a second pikeman on foot.

If that resulted in the attacking pikeman getting wounded, he goes on the wagon next turn and gets to be the supporter in the future. You only have to worry about harpies and dragons messing you up from the air.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Are stars and the letter grade based on the same thing, or are they separate?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Mass pikemen are also countered by trebuchet's with even a semi good screen due to their movement limitations.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’ve found that enough pikemen counters trebuchets though.:p

On maps with multiple barracks I’m pretty much building at least one pikeman per turn. Once they hit, which take a while, they will never stop coming. I use that to basically move a continuous frontline forward every turn. Using cavalry to get out and kill trebuchets and ballistas. I’ll sacrifice cavalry pretty often just to be able to move the line up.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I had to turn off the animations last night. Everything takes forever to resolve and the game moves at a snail's pace. Again, it could be because it's still early and the tutorial stuff is being laid on thick. Some questions:
    • Will I eventually get to merge units? Having low health dudes without the ability to heal/merge is frustrating since they are basically useless.
    • Is their a better unit for capturing buildings? Using foot soldiers and pikemen is not only slow, but they end up heavily damaged, which leads to the low health problem above.
    • Is it possible to readjust settings mid-match? I couldn't find an option.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    You'll get new units soon that will also let you capture.

There isn't combining units in Wargroove, but you can reinforce from a controlled location to transfer/heal health. Or use a mage which has a healing spell.

• Options

There isn't combining units in Wargroove, but you can reinforce from a controlled location to transfer/heal health. Or use a mage which has a healing spell.

I just did the reinforce mission, but didn't know about the Mage heal. Cool, maybe that will help out in longer games.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    i'm pretty eh on healing as it costs 300 gold so its usefulness is limited. Like, i can buy TWO pikeman for that much!
    • Will I eventually get to merge units? Having low health dudes without the ability to heal/merge is frustrating since they are basically useless.
    • Is their a better unit for capturing buildings? Using foot soldiers and pikemen is not only slow, but they end up heavily damaged, which leads to the low health problem above.
    • Is it possible to readjust settings mid-match? I couldn't find an option.
    1. never an option to merge, just use those low health guys to block key points or attack to do damage and kill them off
    2. there are several units that can capture: Soldiaer, Pikeman, Archer, Mage, and your Commander
    3. no that i know of

Pailryder on
  • Options
    Mage is the fastest capture unit at 5 movement.

But realistically the best way to make your boys faster is to put them in a wagon.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    i'm pretty eh on healing as it costs 300 gold so its usefulness is limited. Like, i can buy TWO pikeman for that much!

The mage heals four spaces though, doesn't it? I think it heals a straight 20% regardless of unit cost, so I imagine it's a lot more economical than a village heal if you catch one or two more expensive units in the heal radius.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Five spaces, even!

The other advantage is not dropping the strength of a building and leaving it vulnerable, which is especially dangerous for production buildings

• Options
    A couple more quick questions, this time regarding UI:

As the maps get bigger, is there an option to move around quicker by holding a button?
    Is there going to be a dedicated button to show all the enemies attack range? Or at least a way to keep the attack ranges visible? I'm clearly spoiled by FE/AW UI stuff. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    A couple more quick questions, this time regarding UI:

As the maps get bigger, is there an option to move around quicker by holding a button?
    Is there going to be a dedicated button to show all the enemies attack range? Or at least a way to keep the attack ranges visible? I'm clearly spoiled by FE/AW UI stuff. :)

no speeding around the map yet that i know of but i've never had too much trouble navigating just border scrolling.
    the devs have planned a lot of improvments, this one doesn't exist yet.

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I just did the reinforce mission, but didn't know about the Mage heal. Cool, maybe that will help out in longer games.

Mercia has an amazing healing spell and is who you control for most of the game. For most characters, low health dudes become obstacles to put in the path of enemies, but with Mercia you'll want to keep them around since she has a wide AoE heal that's really powerful. The mage heal is worse, and costs cash. Reinforcement is generally bad, because it costs so much money.

Save low health units for your commander to kill, in general, but especially so for Mercia - turn their deaths into health for your own side!

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    Low health units can work as blockers, enable crits with pikemen (which is part of their effeciency, even after bad trades they still provide value) or be brought back up to strength pretty easily.

It just all takes time, which is the most painful resource in this game in most missions.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Low health units can work as blockers, enable crits with pikemen (which is part of their effeciency, even after bad trades they still provide value) or be brought back up to strength pretty easily.

It just all takes time, which is the most painful resource in this game in most missions.

Don't listen to Albino Bunny. Look at the avatar. Seems like an ambush.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      I'm kind of torn on the time requirement for rankings

It pushes you into a certain play style, one which puts you at risk of failing the mission, which can be good but is also limited. It also isn't the way you should approach multiplayer, I think.

I still play very conservatively and don't put units in threat range unless it's necessary or very useful

• Options

It pushes you into a certain play style, one which puts you at risk of failing the mission, which can be good but is also limited. It also isn't the way you should approach multiplayer, I think.

I still play very conservatively and don't put units in threat range unless it's necessary or very useful

Because of that I stopped caring about rankings. Did I beat it? Good enough.

• Options
      I tried messing around with the event editor today. Whipped up this little bit as an inside joke at a friend of mine.

Pretty cool stuff you can do, but I'm not sure I have all the options unlocked. Or maybe I do, guess we'll see.

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Apparently number of stars is the way you unlock secret commanders so I will eventually have to go max all of them.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Apparently number of stars is the way you unlock secret commanders so I will eventually have to go max all of them.

Oh fuck that dammit. Ugh. I haven't been caring but I guess I gotta now.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
        So I went to verify and looked at the wiki and apparently it’s just one of them but you need that one to unlock codex entries through some super silly nonsense . Good news is that he is a joke character so you won’t need him unless you want 100 %

• Options
        You also need 100 stars to play the last mission of the campaign.

• Options
        P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
        yeah but where is your barracks? mage heal provides immediate value while new units can be multiple turns away from combat. it also becomes cost effective when you are healing multiple more expensive units + you'll run into scenarios where you have more money than you spend in a turn
        harpoon ships seem really good, at least from playing 6-2 and having the enemy ships be really annoying. not prepared to do limited unit mission ; - ;

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
      • Options
        WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
        edited February 2019
        Only just discovered this thread. Played a bit of the campaign but real life has interfered so I haven't gotten far. I was watching some games on twitch and some tournaments. I do want to try multiplayer eventually, but is there really no turn timer limit? It sounded as though it was a feature on the developers roadmap but for obvious reasons without on games will last far too long. I can pause/save single player. Multihour multiplayer games aren't gonna work

Edit: also I obviously was drawn in by the doggos. However while I do love asymmetric games when they have multiple races/species/factions I do appreciate that things seem to be just swapped. Sucker for any game where I can play non-humans

WingedWeasel on
      • Options
        NogginNoggin Registered User regular
        Ugghhhhgh 3-3
        I thought I had it this time, Nuru had taken the lower village, Mercia was almost to an escape wagon

Nope... chomped by a dragon that flew completely around to the only free tile and killed her.

That’s at least the third, maybe 4th failed attempt, at about an hour each with animations off. This game is no joke.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
      • Options
        Noggin wrote: »
        Ugghhhhgh 3-3
        I thought I had it this time, Nuru had taken the lower village, Mercia was almost to an escape wagon

Nope... chomped by a dragon that flew completely around to the only free tile and killed her.

That’s at least the third, maybe 4th failed attempt, at about an hour each with animations off. This game is no joke.

make sure you never put someone on a road when that pops up

• Options
        NogginNoggin Registered User regular
        I didn’t think of that, but not sure it made a
        difference. She had low-ish hp from the previous turn because there was just way too much going on.

I think I need to
        focus less on early back up and instead push much harder with Nuru. If I can secure that then that’s a decent amount of extra gold per turn and a clearer path to send reinforcements when it counts.

Gonna give that a try. At least I should know much earlier if it’s not working.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
      • Options
        The problem with Harpoon ships is that they have absolutely garbage mobility. They move literally 1 space in storm conditions. Also, anything that gets close (especially merfolk) wrecks them pretty quick.

• Options
        i'm in later act 5 but i think there's been maybe 1 or 2 maps where playing defensively was necessarily. The game really really wants the heroes to be aggressive, b, e, aggressive.

• Options
        ArcsurvivorArcsurvivor CaliforniaRegistered User regular
        Some of the negative Steam reviews said it was like rock paper scissors. How would you rate the game?

Hearthstone: (Wild and Arena)
        Currently Playing on Steam - Journey down Ch 3/ Shadowrun: Hong Kong
      • Options
        Some of the negative Steam reviews said it was like rock paper scissors. How would you rate the game?

I mean, they're not wrong: This is a game about hard counters above all else.

But there's a lot of game in producing the correct units, having them in the right place and not getting blown out by stepping too close to an opponent with a weaker unit.

It's a very faithful spin on the Advance Wars set up so if you played those and liked them you'll like t his.

• Options
        P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
        edited February 2019
        7-1 was entirely too fair for the storybeat it represented
        meanwhile 7-2 looks appropriately messed up

P10 on
        Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
      • Options
        Rock paper scissors is not an accurate description of the game at all, imo

There is a huge network of soft and hard counters between the variety of units, on top of different movement speeds and movement types, close or long ranged attacks, wildly different critical hit setups, and several active unit abilities, as well as terrain and buildings that dictate economy and production

This isn't rock paper scissors so much as commanding an army of rocks, papers and scissors with subtypes in each category--naval scissors and flying papers and rocks that can heal other rocks.

• Options
        edited February 2019
        i'm kind of annoyed at act 6 mission 2
        it looks like it's going to be a slog fest fighting with your 3 commanders against the evil undead army. Turns out that you can buy dragons and their range plus damage means that if you just buy those and don't worry about anything else you can rush to the end of the map with the navy and flyers you have and beat the castle.

Pailryder on
      • Options
        Finally beat 5-1... for whatever reason I just kept flubbing things, or the AI would behave weirdly.
        Couldn't save the dragons from the witch, but somehow managed to widdle away the army down near the fortress with a lucky groove from Koji, and then my lone giant chased Sedge across the entire map. Sheesh.

• Options
        HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
        edited February 2019
        i'm kind of annoyed at act 6 mission 2
        it looks like it's going to be a slog fest fighting with your 3 commanders against the evil undead army. Turns out that you can buy dragons and their range plus damage means that if you just buy those and don't worry about anything else you can rush to the end of the map with the navy and flyers you have and beat the castle.

I realized that about a dozen turns in. "Wait, why am I doing this the slow way?"
        (It took that long for me to realize that I almost had more money than I could spend every turn, even with two barracks, two ports, and a tower.)

Hedgethorn on