As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Don't get your hopes up that high mate

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Someone break out the stock photo comparison.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It’s a photoshopped stock photo. Nothing that interesting. Back in the day people got all bent out of shape over it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There is some official concept art out there, and many, many more fan designs out there, of what she could have looked like, all of them more alien than what they came up with, all of them, even the ones that weren't conventionally attractive, being better than what they came up with.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Tali comparison pic:
    mass-effect-face-model-tali-zorah.jpg

The least interesting way they could've gone with it.

Note that the Tali version is only shown at the end of ME3, if you romanced her. And, it's just a photo Shep pics up and looks at.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Honestly, the thing that drives me up the wall the most is that extremely long and voluminous hair.

If Quarians had to wear those suits all the damn time, they would have very short haircuts because it would just be too much of a pain in the ass otherwise!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Those amazingly advanced environment suits obviously just have incredible built-in haircare facilities.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Just, use the concept art for God's sake. There was no reason to do that!

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You guys are too critical. Tali's love of off-the-shoulder sweaters is a repeated theme through the games.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    In my preferred Shepard run, Garrus was my best bro, and Tali was my little sister. So at the end of Mass Effect 3 it got a little weird.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Tali was the girl I wanted the most as a love interest in the original; she was clever and fun and so much more interesting then Liara or Ashley. So when I had a chance to make her a waifu in ME2 I hopped on that shit lickity split.

Meanwhile, Garrus was... boring in ME1. Like he wasn't horrible or bad or anything, just really dull and uninspired as a cop when compared to someone like Wrex. ME2 however made him super fun and just the best to hang out with or date.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Garrus' defining thing in ME1 was that you had the capacity to shape his worldview since Shepard had the dream job of being an enforcer operating above law and red tape, so the character he became at the end was supposed to reflect the choices and dialogue you had alongside him throughout the game

They kinda poo-poohed that in ME2 for the sake of making him Space Batman regardless of choice but narratively it was cool how the writers continued to make him a character following in Shepard's footsteps, following by example

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Garrus' defining thing in ME1 was that you had the capacity to shape his worldview since Shepard had the dream job of being an enforcer operating above law and red tape, so the character he became at the end was supposed to reflect the choices and dialogue you had alongside him throughout the game

They kinda poo-poohed that in ME2 for the sake of making him Space Batman regardless of choice but narratively it was cool how the writers continued to make him a character following in Shepard's footsteps, following by example

His dialogue in that section in ME2 also varies on if you were pushing him towards Paragon or Renegade, IIRC. They make it clear that he ended up where he was because Shepard fuckin up and died, and that had a major effect on him, and that while Shepard's influence in ME1 was A Big Deal, the absence of Shepard's influence after was a bigger deal.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Tali comparison pic:
    mass-effect-face-model-tali-zorah.jpg

The least interesting way they could've gone with it.

Note that the Tali version is only shown at the end of ME3, if you romanced her. And, it's just a photo Shep pics up and looks at.

I like the concept art version of Tali that was drawn before “what does Tali’s face look like?!” became a big deal.

From this post: http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.com/2013/07/concept-art-behind-scenes.html
    p0aaofnglxpd.jpeg

• Options
    Its a cool design but at the very least we could always infer that Quarians had prominent humanoid noses

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Yeah, they kind of did the thing where they assumed Renegade no matter what you actually told him to do.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Its a cool design but at the very least we could always infer that Quarians had prominent humanoid noses

I always figured they looked like the Geth, more or less. Anthropomorphized anteaters.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Honestly, the thing that drives me up the wall the most is that extremely long and voluminous hair.

If Quarians had to wear those suits all the damn time, they would have very short haircuts because it would just be too much of a pain in the ass otherwise!

To be fair, quarians making terrible choices is par for the course.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    We all know the truth about Tali spiders.

For the uninitiated

DzxjKfl.jpg

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Still gets me every time.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's that Zaeed panel that does it for me

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    enough to double post it seems

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's that Zaeed panel that does it for me

He was the only one who got out of there alive.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Remember when ME2 came out and so many people were mad that folks died during their suicide mission cause they made Zaeed squad leader.

Good times.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Getting toward the end of Andromeda, it definitely gets way better when you focus on priority ops and the loyalty chains.

Drack was already the best, then just saw the how to act tough Kesh backstory, oof

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Andromeda turns from an ok game to a good game if you mainline the story and character stuff then leave the planet exploration/development for the endgame. Getting bogged down in the open world stuff really hurts the flow.

Which is clearly a problem with the game's design itself, but at least it can be mitigated somewhat if you know about it ahead of time.

• Options
    Yeah, there is a "right" way to play Andromeda, which is weird.

Link.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, there is a "right" way to play Andromeda, which is weird.

Link.

Pity that Andromeda modding is largely centered around models and tweaks to fighting. A progression mod that added a "recommended" section to the quest list would be rad.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My main problem with Andromeda was that you got way more points than you could ever use for talent points. Especially for the crew.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That's why you have the profile system.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That's why you have the profile system.
    This is true, but the sidekicks eventually run out of empty space to put the points. So they perpetually have the little icon that indicates they have points to distribute, but you can't because there's no spots left.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Finished everyone’s loyalty missions, movie night, and found the point of no return. :+1:

Would’ve liked to actually see fire breathing thresher maws of doom.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The trend of BioWare not giving you enough skill slots for your skills is one I hope they don't keep up. Hopefully by giving us more instead of just 2 skills/slots...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The trend of BioWare not giving you enough skill slots for your skills is one I hope they don't keep up. Hopefully by giving us more instead of just 2 skills/slots...

Is that an issue with Anthem?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Is that an issue with Anthem?

Maybe? Each Javelin has two weapons, three active skills, a melee attack, an ultimate attack, and five passive modifiers. The three skills and the passives are determined by equip-able gear. So it ends up that you have two guns to shoot and other five buttons to press, with three of the buttons being selectable.

I personally think it's fine. ME:A's three skill limit mainly felt awkward because everyone was used to having more in ME3.

• Options
    Just started watching the 40k Helsreach fananimation, and little did I know the guy also did some cutscene work for bioware. Some of this stuff you may recognize, but I love the sequence of Cerberus shock troops doing what they should have been doing in the main game. You know, actually fighting Reapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eOs1LT66ec

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I finally finished Andromeda today

Even though I skipped 75% of the tasks this time, the game still bogged down and felt like a chore to get through by the time Kadara opened. And there was still a ton more game to go!

Glad I did it, but this is definitely not on par with ME1 which is where I had it pegged before getting burnt out the first time.

I also finally purchased the ME3 dlcs. Maybe with Andromeda fresh in my mind, and the new to me content, 3 will look better by comparison. Or maybe I'll just miss having a jetpack

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Remember when ME2 came out and so many people were mad that folks died during their suicide mission cause they made Zaeed squad leader.

Good times.

My only memory of Zaeed is ... one of the terrible ending pictures was Zaeed reclining on a lounger on lake or something, wearing his full combat gear. Now that's relaxation!

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I finally finished Andromeda today

Even though I skipped 75% of the tasks this time, the game still bogged down and felt like a chore to get through by the time Kadara opened. And there was still a ton more game to go!

Glad I did it, but this is definitely not on par with ME1 which is where I had it pegged before getting burnt out the first time.

I also finally purchased the ME3 dlcs. Maybe with Andromeda fresh in my mind, and the new to me content, 3 will look better by comparison. Or maybe I'll just miss having a jetpack
    The ME3 DLCs are superb and definitely worth your time. I still morn the loss of Andromeda's planned DLC. I'm sure they would have done some amazing things.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Leviathan and Omega are fine. Citadel is amazing.

This discussion has been closed.