As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    All that said, Inside Xbox and that article dropped February 6th, so maybe it's time to give "Kotaku told me to dislike Inside xbox" a rest, Synthy. At least until next month's Inside Xbox. It's so not fetch right now. <3

You had me up to this point, but now you'll need to kill me. Next you'll be saying we can't complain about issues in Dead or Alive 2 from almost 20 years ago, and then some of us will be left with nothing!

(Complaining about the content, superfluous, boring, or insufficient, of a show, while completely failing to make any mention at all of a deliberately emotional interview that was clearly intended to one of if not the highlight, and was a substantial chunk of the whole program--is a flaw, and not the only one.)

Synthesis on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not only do Nintendo Directs feel more special due to their irregularity, over the course of a year they manage to deliver more information in about a tenth of the time. (Seriously: 12 x 80 minutes vs. 4 x an average of 30.)

Even this thread, which is active and generally passionate about Xbox, can't muster more than seven posts or so after every Inside Xbox.

Synthesis, I recognize that you personally like the format. That's fine! There are also people who like the 5 a.m. agricultural report. It's just that if Microsoft really wants to make Inside Xbox an appealing information delivery tool suitable for a device that has sold in the tens of millions, they're going to have to start trimming all that fat.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    "Trimming the fat," and not "Cut this by more than half"? Because one suggestion is pretty basic modification that we've already seen in Inside Xbox (which has been shorter and longer). The other would be cutting more than half the run time.

Some people like sound bites. That's fine too. Xbox already has several mediums for 20-second long video announcements that they already use, I don't think they need to compile them.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    All that said, Inside Xbox and that article dropped February 6th, so maybe it's time to give "Kotaku told me to dislike Inside xbox" a rest, Synthy. At least until next month's Inside Xbox. It's so not fetch right now. <3

You had me up to this point, but now you'll need to kill me. Next you'll be saying we can't complain about issues in Dead or Alive 2 from almost 20 years ago, and then some of us will be left with nothing!

(Complaining about the content, superfluous, boring, or insufficient, of a show, while completely failing to make any mention at all of a deliberately emotional interview that was clearly intended to one of if not the highlight, and was a substantial chunk of the whole program--is a flaw, and not the only one.)

I'm sorry, I assumed that you were joking about the Kotaku thing, and as such the timing was off... which is why people are all "dude, let it go." You were serious?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Inside Xbox and Nintendo Direct are both glorified series of brand announcements, but Inside Xbox is more of a "show" and I find it more entertaining to watch.

I can skim through a blog after a Nintendo Direct and not feel like I missed anything.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Are people defending Kotaku for some reason?

I'm sorry, I assumed that you were joking about the Kotaku thing, and as such the timing was off... which is why people are all "dude, let it go." You were serious?

I thought the article wasn't particularly good and deserving of mockery (I don't think I'm exactly alone in this, there's plenty of side-eye scorn thrown towards bad articles out of Polygon, Kotaku, any number of major sites). Case in point, that very specific flaw of a "Were this a freshmen report, you would've failed" variety. I've never said that I thought Inside Xbox was perfect, on the contrary I'm pretty sarcastic whenever they come out in my "praise", barring one or two things I might actually like.

If that wasn't clear, that's my fault entirely. I haven't claimed Kotaku is completely incapable of good writing (or even good journalism), but with what amounts to the enthusiast, ad-driven nature of the medium--across the board--I'm pretty consistently skeptical outside of very specific technical appraisals (we don't really call a Digital Foundry technical analysis "journalism", as far as I know). I say this as someone who was poor journalist in university, even if I did managed to get a Bachelor's in Journalism.

Yes.

Technically speaking, I just did too.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Fahey is funny. And Ashcraft occasionally writes interesting things about Japan. Basically when the site isn't letting Tim Rogers talk or running articles on "latest hot game, as seen through intersectional theory", it's fairly readable.

Every time Ashcraft--I'm pretty sure they're the one--writes something on tattoos in Japan, I usually end up having an unnecessarily long comment post talking about tattoos in Taiwan, where it is generally taboo for people who aren't part of the aboriginal community, foreigners, and Christians. I doubt I'd go through the trouble if I didn't approve of the article.

Will still mock Kotaku though. But I still mock NPR's BBC time slot for piss-poor coverage of the 08-08 War. I never let things go.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I wouldn't know. I stopped going there years ago for a reason I don't remember. I only remeber they were being really, really foolish and click-baity. I've mainly avoided all internet gaming sites and news so the quality or value of Inside Xbox, as well as whatever Kotaku says on anything, escapes me.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jason Schreier is quite possibly the best journalist working in games media right now. His name has repeatedly popped up on significant stories the past few years. (Both "This is a huge announcment" significant, as well as "hey, this industry is kind of a cesspool" significant.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I'm not quite sure where Kotaku, Inside Xbox, and the bulk of gaming related media is largely full of fluff that I can either consume or ignore puts me on the for/against spectrum.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I loaded up Kotaku just now and surprisingly all of the posts were fine for once!

Of course, between nearly every post is an ad, or a blog-post-that-is-an-ad, so I'll continue to ignore their existence.

"Trimming the fat," and not "Cut this by more than half"? Because one suggestion is pretty basic modification that we've already seen in Inside Xbox (which has been shorter and longer). The other would be cutting more than half the run time.

Some people like sound bites. That's fine too. Xbox already has several mediums for 20-second long video announcements that they already use, I don't think they need to compile them.

The last Inside Xbox was still 80 minutes long. That's still far, far too long for anything outside an E3 presentation.

You can have a shorter, more impactful program without having "sound bites." Most of Nintendo Directs aren't "sound bites." Being direct and to the point is marketing 101.

Let's put it another way. The last Inside Xbox, linked above, had 128 thousand views. The last Nintendo Direct had 1.76 million views. Clearly there's some room for improvement.

To be fair, I think those numbers wouldn't change much if Inside Xbox was literally the same thing as Nintendo Direct.

Nintendo fans are a... dedicated bunch. Xbox is still working off Don Mattrick stink.

Arteen wrote: »
    I loaded up Kotaku just now and surprisingly all of the posts were fine for once!

Of course, between nearly every post is an ad, or a blog-post-that-is-an-ad, so I'll continue to ignore their existence.

I agree, it's a good news day today. One of the top posts is literally "I played Metro Exodus for 30 hours", which stands out because it's person writing about games who actually plays them. Some of their articles have been like "Because I have a kid now, I played less than a dozen games last year, but <property> was a standout that took me back to my childhood when I had time to play games" and that kinda makes me wonder why they're writing for a gaming blog as opposed to a daddy blog.

But I digress. At least they're not Waypoint.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    To be fair, I think those numbers wouldn't change much if Inside Xbox was literally the same thing as Nintendo Direct.

Nintendo fans are a... dedicated bunch. Xbox is still working off Don Mattrick stink.

OH MY GOD A REMAKE OF A GAME FROM THE 360 THAT WILL RUN AT HALF THE FRAMES WOO NINTENDO WINS AGAIN!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Nintendo Directs also go up on Youtube whereas Inside Xbox broadcasts on Mixer. the difference in awareness and willingness to engage with those respective platforms needs to be taken into account when comparing viewing figures. and this may also explain why MS run longer with Inside Xbox. driving engagement with their streaming platform is part of why the programme exists. they want people watching and they want them watching for as long as possible.

cloudeagle wrote: »

The last Inside Xbox was still 80 minutes long. That's still far, far too long for anything outside an E3 presentation.

You can have a shorter, more impactful program without having "sound bites." Most of Nintendo Directs aren't "sound bites." Being direct and to the point is marketing 101.

Let's put it another way. The last Inside Xbox, linked above, had 128 thousand views. The last Nintendo Direct had 1.76 million views. Clearly there's some room for improvement.

And Inside Xbox isn't an 5:00 am agricultural report. Nintendo Direct get those view numbers because of their specific content, and because Nintendo is less inclined to share information otherwise (though not as much as they used to, as their social media presence is much larger nowadays). Copying Nintendo Direct's format doesn't get you their numbers. "Trimming the fat" is radically different from "Make the complete re-branding announcement half a minute long, tops." I wouldn't trade far less information--useful and otherwise--for the sound bite format, but I even mocked this Inside Xbox for being superflous at times.

Preacher wrote: »

OH MY GOD A REMAKE OF A GAME FROM THE 360 THAT WILL RUN AT HALF THE FRAMES WOO NINTENDO WINS AGAIN!

I mean, I've bought Skyrim and Dark Souls for the Switch, so they're obviously making some money off repackaging the hottest games of 2011 into a portable format. :)

Whenever I start to eyeroll too hard at the dedicated Nintendo fanbase, I think about bedsheets.

When I was a young lad, I had a Battlestar Galactica lunchbox, and a plastic Colonial Viper, and a Cylon Raider, and Battlestar Galactica bedsheets. So every day at school, I ate my food out of the lunchbox, came home to play with the toys, and then went to bed. I've spent more nights on Lorne Greene's face than Mrs. Greene, is what I'm getting at.
    I still have the Viper.

vcmpr2v4pxte.jpg

My point is, I am not able to have a discussion about objectively-bad 1970s sci-fi in a way that is not colored by the fact that I went to bed with the crew of the Galactica every night. If I'd been born a decade later, those probably would have been Mario sheets.

Wraith260 wrote: »
    Nintendo Directs also go up on Youtube whereas Inside Xbox broadcasts on Mixer. the difference in awareness and willingness to engage with those respective platforms needs to be taken into account when comparing viewing figures. and this may also explain why MS run longer with Inside Xbox. driving engagement with their streaming platform is part of why the programme exists. they want people watching and they want them watching for as long as possible.

Inside Xbox is on Youtube and Twitch too. MS is not shy about getting that show on as many screens as possible.

Wraith260 wrote: »

I get that it's extremely desirable to compare Inside Xbox and Nintendo Direct, but it doesn't really change the fact that they're completely different vehicles.

Wasn't there a Nintendo Direct with the sole purpose of revealing, one by one, Smash Brothers characters? And that was it? "Okay, see you again whenever we feel like it." I don't think I'm imagining that. If an Inside Xbox that was the same length, only covering a single game...and revealing characters and nothing else...I'd wonder what had gone wrong, and I doubt I'd be alone. That's a promotion for a game, which Xbox already does, and puts on Facebook, on the console itself, and a half-dozen other places. Don't make a bi-monthly event.

It works for Nintendo because Smash Brothers was...pretty much the exclusive point of interest for several months, or at least that's how it appeared.

edited February 2019

I mean, I've bought Skyrim and Dark Souls for the Switch, so they're obviously making some money off repackaging the hottest games of 2011 into a portable format. :)

Whenever I start to eyeroll too hard at the dedicated Nintendo fanbase, I think about bedsheets.

When I was a young lad, I had a Battlestar Galactica lunchbox, and a plastic Colonial Viper, and a Cylon Raider, and Battlestar Galactica bedsheets. So every day at school, I ate my food out of the lunchbox, came home to play with the toys, and then went to bed. I've spent more nights on Lorne Greene's face than Mrs. Greene, is what I'm getting at.
    I still have the Viper.

vcmpr2v4pxte.jpg

My point is, I am not able to have a discussion about objectively-bad 1970s sci-fi in a way that is not colored by the fact that I went to bed with the crew of the Galactica every night. If I'd been born a decade later, those probably would have been Mario sheets.

I don't completely buy your analogy, though I wouldn't rule it out either, but I will compliment you for sharing such an intimate moment with this thread. You have (a portion of) a beautiful soul.

Speaking of kicking the dead horse, over and over again, forever, as I do.

How many people who play video games have ever heard of Don Mattrick at this point? I don't even think Phil Spencer is that well known by the overall video game audience, and he's one of the most visible division chiefs we've seen since the age of Nintendo and Sega. People hated the original Xbox before anyone even knew who Don Mattrick was, and there was plenty of hatred for the Xbox 360 through its lifetime. "Bad policy decisions" happened before an after Mattrick--saying "A bad launch is a bad launch," seems to get more towards the root of the problem, and frankly that went beyond him.

People hated the original Xbox for years, there's no blaming Mattrick for that. Remember "Xbox guaranteed discontinued in six months?" That was it's Nintendo DOOOOOM.

Synthesis on
    I still hold a grudge against Bernie Stolar for sending the Saturn to an early grave. I haven’t even gotten up to hating early 2000s executives.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I hardly, if ever agree with, anything Kotaku writes. I still use them and Polygon to find out a new or interesting titles I may never heard of or to get an interesting counterpoint to my own opinion. I also don't agree with Jim Sterling, but I'll still watch his videos to absorb all the discussions going on and use it to better inform my larger picture of the gaming industry and the things going on inside. I am a decent fan of Xbox, Crackdown, and other things that Kotaku loves to be highly critical of; but at the very least their editors and writers have unique voices and viewpoints I can grab onto. You read a site like IGN and it's just a long list of faceless writers whom I can't and won't ever know about or care about.

I suppose I find them jaded and a little cynical. They tend to be like movie critics like the Half in the Bag guys, who seem hard to please and even harder to turn 'off' the critical sides of their brand. Kotaku calling Crackdown 3 boring or repetitive won't stop me from playing the shit out of it. The DF review sounds like someone playing it who is a fan of the franchise, and I think that's refreshing. Not often are reviewers allowed to review the games they love, for fear of them publishing a glowing review for a stinky turd. I'd rather hear what some who loves the franchise, like myself, would say when given a week with the game.

And when it comes to Inside Xbox... I'll admit I only watch for the free stuff and just kinda do chores while it plays in the background. Even as an Xbox guy, it's a bit too long for my attention span these days. That being said, it did expose me to new games like Vigor so at the end of the day, it's still good content- just not good content for me.

edited February 2019

Speaking of kicking the dead horse, over and over again, forever.

How many people who play video games have ever heard of Don Mattrick at this point?

You're getting lost in the terminology. I just call it the Don Mattrick stink becuase that's what everyone here will quickly identify it as. To the general populace, it's simply that "Xbox won't play games offline" is still widely considered to be true. It's very difficult to shake off bad press like that, even when the issue was corrected before the product even launched.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited February 2019

I still have the Viper.

vcmpr2v4pxte.jpg

I don't completely buy your analogy, though I wouldn't rule it out either, but I will compliment you for sharing such an intimate moment with this thread. You have (a portion of) a beautiful soul.

Speaking of kicking the dead horse, over and over again, forever.

How many people who play video games have ever heard of Don Mattrick at this point?

You're getting lost in the terminology. I just call it the Don Mattrick stink becuase that's what everyone here will quickly identify it as. To the general populace, it's simply that "Xbox won't play games offline" is still widely considered to be true. It's very difficult to shake off bad press like that, even when the issue was corrected before the product even launched.

Honestly, that may be a better thing to call it--hah, so this is what it's like to pick at people's wording--when some of it has nothing to do with Mattrick at the time or predates him. I still think that was one particular complaint, and not even the most central one, at the time ("It costs more and is weaker."), but I'm not going to claim for certain that the smoking gun. Plus, there was an entire culture of Xbox loathing that absolutely factored in that has nothing to do with Mattrick--why wouldn't there be? This is the console branding wars after all.

Synthesis on
    Honestly if my xbox is offline I'm not playing it anyway. No live no peace!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited February 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »

And Inside Xbox isn't an 5:00 am agricultural report. Nintendo Direct get those view numbers because of their specific content, and because Nintendo is less inclined to share information otherwise (though not as much as they used to, as their social media presence is much larger nowadays). Copying Nintendo Direct's format doesn't get you their numbers. "Trimming the fat" is radically different from "Make the complete re-branding announcement half a minute long, tops." I wouldn't trade far less information--useful and otherwise--for the sound bite format, but I even mocked this Inside Xbox for being superflous at times.

I'm not saying copy Nintendo Direct, I'm saying make things more to the point. Also, have you seen the latest Nintendo Direct? It didn't have sound bites, it had decent looks at loads and loads of stuff. I should also add that, without any additional information about games and services, pretty much no one outside of you and Microsoft really care in the slightest about the re-branding announcement. Three minutes is way, way, waaaaaaay too long for that.

Look at it this way. Here are all the things Microsoft covered in 80 minutes:

Xbox Game studios rebranding
    Halo: Outpost
    Crackdown 3 in-depth
    Sea of Thieves update
    Xbox Game pass updates
    Hardware bundles featuring the Corpse of Tom Clancy Had Nothing to Do with The Division 2
    A new color for the controller
    Jump Force
    New Mortal Kombat fighter
    Journey to the Savage Planet

Here's what Nintendo covered in 30 minutes:
    Mario Maker 2
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
    Boxboy + Boxgirl
    Smash Bros. Ultimate update
    Captain Toad DLC and updates
    New Bloodstained trailer
    Dragon Quest Builders 2 western release date
    Switch Dragon Quest 11 date
    Disney Tsum Tsum
    Starlink Starfox DLC
    Rune Factory 4 Special (and Rune Factory 5 teaser)
    Oninkani
    Yoshi's Crafted World and downloadable demo
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Tetris 99
    Dead by Daylight
    DAEMON X MACHINA demo
    GRID Autosport
    Hellblade
    Mortal Kombat 11 Switch
    Unravel 2
    Assassin's 3 remastered
    Final Fantasy game release dates
    Astral Chain
    Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.

Now, do not look at each list as "hey, these games are exiting." Look at them as structure. Microsoft chose to devote a lot of time to three games about to be released (I'm assuming Journey to the Savage Planet is about to come out), an update to an existing game, a hardware bundle, a new controller color, a fan experience, updates to game pass, a new Mortal Kombat fighter, and a corporate rebrand. Aside from the three games, the pass update and the Mortal Kombat character, none of that is really impactful. And that was in 80 minutes! This line-up wouldn't have been too bad for 30 minutes, but it was nearly three times that.

Meanwhile Nintendo had game after game after game after game after game. Most we didn't know about! One you can play right the hell now! All in a brisk but non-rushed 30 minutes. It's attention-grabbing stuff.

Look, as a business wonk, I can understand. I'm still mourning the death of Iwata Asks (the web series where Nintendo people go waaaaaay in-depth on specific games). But I'm also not going to pretend that the series had a big audience. As it stands now, the structure (meaning, this has nothing to do with the appeal games offered) of Nintendo's videos are vastly more attention-grabbing than Inside Xbox. I'm not saying that Microsoft should copy Nintendo on this, but they're really seeming like the video game version of the 5 a.m. ag report. If they want to attract the audience they're surely hoping for, they need to change things up. Seriously, even this thread as a whole has a hard time caring about Inside Xbox.

cloudeagle on
    Don Mattrick gets shit on because he was the one who pulled a Sony-esque "We have a product for people without internet connections and it's called the Xbox 360" and then bailed on the company shortly thereafter while the people who suceeded him had to fix the mess.

If you want to take a more nuanced look at things, Mattrick was also in charge of Xbox since 2010, which in addition to (IMO) being start of a downward slide for the 360, I would assume it covered most if not all of the dev cycle of the Xbox One. He's also well known for being behind the heavy focus on Kinect. Every one of the decisions that lead to the Xbox One losing the consumer confidence (and thus marketshare) built up during the 360 era would have had to be signed off by Mattrick. (Systems specs, including Kinect in every box thus inflating the price, the always online stuff)

Don Mattrick gets shit on because he was the one who pulled a Sony-esque "We have a product for people without internet connections and it's called the Xbox 360" and then bailed on the company shortly thereafter while the people who suceeded him had to fix the mess.

If you want to take a more nuanced look at things, Mattrick was also in charge of Xbox since 2010, which in addition to (IMO) being start of a downward slide for the 360, I would assume it covered most if not all of the dev cycle of the Xbox One. He's also well known for being behind the heavy focus on Kinect. Every one of the decisions that lead to the Xbox One losing the consumer confidence (and thus marketshare) built up during the 360 era would have had to be signed off by Mattrick. (Systems specs, including Kinect in every box thus inflating the price, the always online stuff)

I agree. 2010-2014, especially 2012 and later, were some dark times in the industry. If you believed the nonsense that came out of that time, the future was motion controls and mobile gaming.

Honestly Sony earned their crushing success at the start of this gen by coming right out and saying “we think you guys might want a box under your TV that plays games so we will sell you one.”

edited February 2019

I agree. 2010-2014, especially 2012 and later, were some dark times in the industry. If you believed the nonsense that came out of that time, the future was motion controls and mobile gaming.

Honestly Sony earned their crushing success at the start of this gen by coming right out and saying “we think you guys might want a box under your TV that plays games so we will sell you one.”

I occasionally hear industry people say there were a lot of rumblings that Sony was also going with a similar online focus until the Xbox stuff started leaking to and hitting mainstream gaming press, prompting Sony to back the fuck off while Xbox steamed right on ahead. Super smart move, if true.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Waypoint is extremely good, actually. And Kotaku has some very talented writers and video folks.

Also, I bought Game Pass last night to play Crackdown. It is repetitive! The structure of it is also pretty weird, there's no "missions" it's all open-world. Much like Crackdown 1 in that way.
    I would have really liked some more structure to it though. If you want to fight this boss, just clear all the monorails, do all the chem stations, etc. I would have liked some more bespoke content instead of "do this type of encounter 8 times"

The thing that gets me is what the hell did this game look like in 2017 when they gave it a November 7th release date.

Also, is it just me, or could this game have really used a nemesis system?

Crippl3 wrote: »
    Waypoint is extremely good, actually. And Kotaku has some very talented writers and video folks.

Also, I bought Game Pass last night to play Crackdown. It is repetitive! The structure of it is also pretty weird, there's no "missions" it's all open-world. Much like Crackdown 1 in that way.
    I would have really liked some more structure to it though. If you want to fight this boss, just clear all the monorails, do all the chem stations, etc. I would have liked some more bespoke content instead of "do this type of encounter 8 times"

I get that desire, but that's not exactly what I want out of crackdown. I want open world mook murdering and Terry Crews. But you know some people don't want a face lifted crack down 1 with an awesome celebrity cameo. We call these people the amish.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The thing that gets me is what the hell did this game look like in 2017 when they gave it a November 7th release date.

Also, is it just me, or could this game have really used a nemesis system?

Every game could use a Nemesis system.

(That probably isn't true, but I'm particularly disappointed that third person action games--even first person ones, looking at you Far Cry--that use mass generation of enemies with traits and stats have not wholly co-opted this mechanic into their own game.)

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Sony then straight-up trolled Microsoft with the "this is how you lend someone a game on PS4" video.

Oh yeah. That's what's been keeping it from happening. Lack of Twitter feedback.