As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Crushing along in crimson doubles. Had a great round earlier with 14 kills, hammered both of them with a super then hightailed it back across the map and got them both again as they popped up, and one even popped golden gun before getting incinerated.

o6s2qq9wpb5n.jpg

Twintailed fox is a steaming pile tho, but I got the vigilance wing one. Thanks for your sad contribution random crucible pal!

edit: got twintailed fox and crimson, had a good run with two good randoms as partners. All that's left is 4 wins and 4 more matches...and buying the dance which I'll snag tomorrow - then I'm done with crimson days.

Nosf on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I fucking hate Crimson Doubles.

13 games, 1 win so far. Vast majority not even close. If you're a hunter, congrats, you have far and away the best class in the fucking game for this mode.

Did you know that a mid-tree arc strider can just block an entire dawn blade super without taking a single point of damage, and still have enough super left over to kill both you and your teammate?

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    21 games, 3 wins. Some of the losses were close, but only 1 match of the 8-9 I played wasn't against a party.

Bungie should have either made separate solo/duo playlists, or only allowed premade duos in period. It's just a shitshow otherwise

I did run across rather inventive/infuriating combo: Wish-Ender combined with a 150-rpm scout w/ explosive rounds. The first guy can see you through the wall, and the instant you peek, you die.

I also found a guy with a god rolled Erentil (under pressure, high-impact reserves, stability MW). This dude had the "precharge and slide around the corner to instakill with no counterplay" down to a science. It was disgusting, and after seeing it I hope fusions never get a buff.

• Options
    I ran into a Warlock with Wish-Ender using his rifts to one shot. We beat them in overtime when they rushed the cap point and I put a solar grenade on it. That's it, just stand there and baaaaathe in it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So it's clear Bungie hates me, specifically

https://youtu.be/3Z9yK3sMDUU

Honestly, it's probably because the number of people genuinely playing Trials and not just talking about the, was a very small fraction of the playerbase and Bungie is prioritizing based on how many people actually do the thing instead of just making threads on the subreddit.

I realize that sucks for people who really liked Trials, but they're kind of between a rock and a hard place there.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I think they are also rightfully leery of their ability to recapture that whole streamer thing with Trials in D2 given how the market has moved on and given D2's overall reception.

There's also the whole issue where, like, what's the point of both Trials and Comp existing in the same game?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah Trials used to be the PvP raid-equivalent but now that's just regular PvP since they switched over to the new Powerful system.

• Options
    Annnnnd done with Crimson Doubles. Wasn't entirely bad, some of those matches are pretty tight. Final match went into OT and was kind of... goofy. We appeared a short jog from the flag cap and just ran over, dropped rift and hid behind cover, leaving the other team basically fucked since they were coming out of a narrow space...that we filled with grenades. By the time one looped around I had my super and it was all over.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Honestly, it's probably because the number of people genuinely playing Trials and not just talking about the, was a very small fraction of the playerbase and Bungie is prioritizing based on how many people actually do the thing instead of just making threads on the subreddit.

I realize that sucks for people who really liked Trials, but they're kind of between a rock and a hard place there.

You could say the same for raids, and Bungie keeps making raids and keeps putting barriers in place to make it harder to be able to play the raids.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I went 13L9L in my 22 matches, and yeah, those wins were way easier with a fireteam member communicating, but did win several matches going in solo. But most of my matches had at least one of the teams an actual fireteam rather than 4 randos.

I'm sorry to hear that people had a shit time in Crimson Doubles. I had a great time, and I enjoy how it differentiates things and gives you different options to pursue. I think in my matches I only saw like 4 Lunas/Dustrocks, and only one person running Not Forgotten. I saw more usage of Scouts and Pulses than Handcannons (though some Last Word). I went up against a team of double-titans both using Sweet Business and Actium and it was pretty effective for them to just lock down sightlines with a mass of bullets. I saw actual Slowva Bomb warlocks. And while hunters were there, I saw more Titans than anything else.

If you rock Titan, top-tree Striker is pretty brutal. With the Reunited buff, you basically always have a grenade. And Panic-Fist is still a great way to respond to enemy supers or push the enemy pair. And Barricades help secure Heavy, which swings rounds in 2v2.

The other advice would be to not hold on to your Super too much. It comes back quickly, and if it wins a round, or counters an enemy Super, it's totally worth it. The only time I would pocket a Super is if you think the game may got into Sudden Death, where a Super is crucial.

• Options
    Xur is selling Skull of Dire Ahamkara. Good time to pick one up now that slowva bomb is very good again, his helms are basically a god roll.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

You could say the same for raids, and Bungie keeps making raids and keeps putting barriers in place to make it harder to be able to play the raids.

Raids are pretty easy to play actually and while they are a small portion of the playerbase they are one of the most active ones and they fill a spot within the game's experience that nothing else does.

Trials is, well, it's just weekend comp in terms of it's place on the game's content curve. It's a different experience, sure, but it's directly competing with an already existing end-game PvP experience and it's not clear what the purpose of having two of them to divide the playerbase and rewards between is.

That's not a slight against Trials it's just a problem of Bungie needing to define it's place and purpose within the game. And I think the whole reason they are basically letting it lie dormant right now is because they have no answer to that right now.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Xur is selling Skull of Dire Ahamkara. Good time to pick one up now that slowva bomb is very good again, his helms are basically a god roll.

Oh nice, I had to pull one from my collection so that’ll be a worthwhile purchase.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

Oh nice, I had to pull one from my collection so that’ll be a worthwhile purchase.

Yeah I've been making due with Nezerac's Sin (which isn't bad by any means) since I only had the collection roll Skull so I'm quite glad to see it on him today.

• Options
    As for Trials, I'm not sure what I would do. It seems like Competitive was the answer to having an always available space for "skill-based" play, and while a Flawless run was great, getting hit by DDOS or profoundly unbalanced matches while on a card was a real hit in the face.

I also struggled when the Trials map was terrible for my playstyle, and you were stuck with it all weekend, and people refined to explicit tactics rather than on-the-fly mixups. Trials also more quickly devolved into a clear meta and fuck you for trying different.

I think the joy of Trials was the chase items, and the incremental progress that you could get if you had a good run. In Comp, you're pursuing one main goal a season - the Pinnacle weapon, then you hop out unless you're insane enough to pursue 5500. There is something to be said about a weekend sprint instead of a 3-month marathon. Chasing like 10-15 different items (on just one character) over one year seems more successful than chasing 1-2 items every 3-4 months.

Ultimately, I think Competitive is interesting, but lacks a motivator, and people hate that you can enter it without a full fireteam and then get stomped. Trials had higher highs and lower lows, and was not player-friendly in any way. You need to smooth out the rough edges without losing all of the edge to bring back interest. But even then you're spiking weekend engagement as opposed to daily engagement and season-long hooks. But maybe that's better.

• Options
    As for Trials, I'm not sure what I would do. It seems like Competitive was the answer to having an always available space for "skill-based" play, and while a Flawless run was great, getting hit by DDOS or profoundly unbalanced matches while on a card was a real hit in the face.

I also struggled when the Trials map was terrible for my playstyle, and you were stuck with it all weekend, and people refined to explicit tactics rather than on-the-fly mixups. Trials also more quickly devolved into a clear meta and fuck you for trying different.

I think the joy of Trials was the chase items, and the incremental progress that you could get if you had a good run. In Comp, you're pursuing one main goal a season - the Pinnacle weapon, then you hop out unless you're insane enough to pursue 5500. There is something to be said about a weekend sprint instead of a 3-month marathon. Chasing like 10-15 different items (on just one character) over one year seems more successful than chasing 1-2 items every 3-4 months.

Ultimately, I think Competitive is interesting, but lacks a motivator, and people hate that you can enter it without a full fireteam and then get stomped. Trials had higher highs and lower lows, and was not player-friendly in any way. You need to smooth out the rough edges without losing all of the edge to bring back interest. But even then you're spiking weekend engagement as opposed to daily engagement and season-long hooks. But maybe that's better.

I definitely think a case can be made for ditching Comp and replacing it with Trials. Certainly I think the base of actual fans of comp is ludicrously small.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Comp requires a long term commitment to get rewards out of it.

With Trials, you "just" need a flawless run. Even if you don't go flawless there's still exclusive weapons and armor.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't know why they're keeping Iron Banner around but won't bring Trials back. Is there anybody looking forward to Iron Banner at this point? Does it serve a purpose in the game, if that's the lens we're viewing these things through now, and if not then why not axe it or use the same logic to bring Trials back? I didn't exactly love Trials right before it got shelved but a group of us would still get together to play through a few cards every weekend and it was still fun, and I think that would still be the case now.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I managed to actually play some Trials exactly once, despite generally wanting to.

Generally the only purpose Trials served from my experience was to give people a number demonstrating that Destiny was dead.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm gonna ruin it now by going in solo to get my Two-Tailed triumph, but I had something like a 70% win rate in doubles while running with a teammate. It's been a really fun mode to play with other people.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Certainly I think the base of actual fans of comp is ludicrously small.

I don't love the Glory system or the over-sweaty culture of Competitive, but I do actually like the 4v4 objective modes* over 6v6 Clash/Control. I'd love to see a 4v4 objective hopper in casual/Valor, and then ditch Competitive in favor of bringing Trials back. You'd have to adjust the Luna/NF quest, but I think that's doable, like they did with Redrix's Claymore/Broadsword.

*Except Countdown, that mode can crawl back to the hellhole it came from
    **Obligatory "Bring back Rift, you cowards"

awsimo on
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't know why they're keeping Iron Banner around but won't bring Trials back. Is there anybody looking forward to Iron Banner at this point? Does it serve a purpose in the game, if that's the lens we're viewing these things through now, and if not then why not axe it or use the same logic to bring Trials back? I didn't exactly love Trials right before it got shelved but a group of us would still get together to play through a few cards every weekend and it was still fun, and I think that would still be the case now.

The difference is that Iron Banner is already active and Trials is not.

Neither are probably being very actively supported, but people already swallowed the pill of turning off Trials. IB would reopen that wound.

Feels more like they gave up on active PvP development for D2 and are focused on D3 tbh.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Yeah I've been making due with Nezerac's Sin (which isn't bad by any means) since I only had the collection roll Skull so I'm quite glad to see it on him today.

I keep thinking I should give nezerac’s another go for a build with more utility. I think it could be interesting with attunement of hunger,m for maximum ability spam, but I’m kinda wondering if AoH is actually too weak now.

I haven’t compared it to post nerf fission because I just love chaos and slow-va bomb

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options

I keep thinking I should give nezerac’s another go for a build with more utility. I think it could be interesting with attunement of hunger,m for maximum ability spam, but I’m kinda wondering if AoH is actually too weak now.

I haven’t compared it to post nerf fission because I just love chaos and slow-va bomb

Nezerac's Sin is very good with either now, especially with the buff to Age-Old Bond, it's just probably not "never stop spamming nova bomb" good.

Devour is definitely worse than Chaos now but still has its uses. I used it for my solo Shattered Throne run, for example.

• Options

The difference is that Iron Banner is already active and Trials is not.

Neither are probably being very actively supported, but people already swallowed the pill of turning off Trials. IB would reopen that wound.

Feels more like they gave up on active PvP development for D2 and are focused on D3 tbh.

I feel like they could announce that Iron Banner was disappearing next season and people wouldn't care at all. I think the PvP community cares way more about Trials than they ever did about IB and that the general population doesn't give a shit about either. I wish they'd just be honest and say that PvP as a whole isn't a priority for the dev team and at least then we could stop holding out hope that something's going to change and just go play something else.

• Options

Because IB is a week-long vaguely monthly event thing for everyone. Whereas Trials is a weekly sweat-balls activity for the hardest of core.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Trials was great, I havent been that interested in Comp or Quickplay at all.

I got a weird popup with vague mentions of Season of the Drifter being soon, like next week soon... Isnt it first out in march?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's absolutely mind boggling I spent a year playing Trials in D2 before they fixed everything in Forsaken, and then never got to experience that fixed PvP experience in Trials, not once. I suffered, broke my old playstyle off and forged new, bad gameplay habits that worked within the framework of the original D2 PvP design- slower, more 'tactical' but not exactly fun. I still managed to eek out a full Flawless armor set, getting the last piece mere weeks before all of the armor was rendered useless by Forsaken..

I'm a little bitter. Trials in D1 was like, my jam. The way people feel about raids and the experience, was how I felt whenever we went to Mercury and scooped up some shiny, exclusive loot. That feeling is all but dead in the current Destiny, save for maybe grinding out Luna's. There isn't anything to chew on for PvPers, and it's dead. And with everyone moving on to Anthem, I don't see myself coming back to D2 pretty much ever, especially if this next content drop is as sad as the last.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That feeling of going Flawless for the first time was awesome, one of my more memorable gaming moments, even a dozen Flawless runs later and it still felt pretty great.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    I am not seeing the appeal of Anthem at all.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

It's Destiny with more random loot and you're Iron Man

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

It's Destiny with more random loot and you're Iron Man

No PvP means it's barely half of Destiny

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

As someone whose best girl/season in Destiny was House of Wolves, this is it chief. I was a mediocre to bad/pvp player who just managed to get the full osiris set before Taken King dropped, and without ever going flawless. It was a blast and I enjoyed it immensely. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the original trials set is the most sought after set in Destiny history. The fact that competitive doesn't have a it's own deep loot pool is baffling. I would have probably played a bunch if I could have got a cool set for doing the bottom few ranks, but if it's get to the top or nothing lol thanks but no thanks. Destiny is a loot game and one of your major gameplay modes is completely loot free? bungie y
    It's absolutely mind boggling I spent a year playing Trials in D2 before they fixed everything in Forsaken, and then never got to experience that fixed PvP experience in Trials, not once. I suffered, broke my old playstyle off and forged new, bad gameplay habits that worked within the framework of the original D2 PvP design- slower, more 'tactical' but not exactly fun. I still managed to eek out a full Flawless armor set, getting the last piece mere weeks before all of the armor was rendered useless by Forsaken..

This, also. Trials of the Nine flopped. There's some truth to the fact that maybe Trials doesn't fit into MODERN GAMING ECOSYSTEM. but you know what else flopped and then they just reverted it? The D2 vanilla weapons system. It makes sense that they should at least see if old school trials can be successful again with the weapons system that everyone knows and loves

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options

Because IB is a week-long vaguely monthly event thing for everyone. Whereas Trials is a weekly sweat-balls activity for the hardest of core.

That's what Trials became, it's not what it needs to be. And I think it's generous to call Iron Banner an event for everyone, I'm pretty sure most peoples' experience at this point is playing 4-6 stacks with questionable connections in a game mode where it's pretty easy to get frustratingly curb stomped.

Trials was a PvP experience that no other game has managed to duplicate and it sucks that they are just tossing it in the bin because they can't figure out what to do with it. PvP is obviously not a priority, there haven't been new maps in ages, there hasn't been a Crucible Labs drop since the dumb scorch cannon thing, and the Mountaintop as a "pinnacle" weapon is kind of a joke. If it sounds like I'm salty it's because I am, the PvP sandbox is actually in a really good place right now (Luna and Not Forgotten notwithstanding) but the game designers can't find a good way to incentivize people to play it and that's crazy to me.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    really tho what is destiny without legacy modes that have been changed so many times that no one can remember what their initial role in the game was

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Ok? That seems random

You get to be variations of Iron Man with a hopefully Bioware level story and team up with friends to get loot

Can’t wait

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Antham has no PvP, which kinda limits it's appeal re: Destiny. Especially as it relates to Trials.

• Options

That's what Trials became, it's not what it needs to be. And I think it's generous to call Iron Banner an event for everyone, I'm pretty sure most peoples' experience at this point is playing 4-6 stacks with questionable connections in a game mode where it's pretty easy to get frustratingly curb stomped.

That's not what I've ever experienced in IB or what most of the PC clan seems to run in to. At least from what people say.

Trials was a PvP experience that no other game has managed to duplicate and it sucks that they are just tossing it in the bin because they can't figure out what to do with it. PvP is obviously not a priority, there haven't been new maps in ages, there hasn't been a Crucible Labs drop since the dumb scorch cannon thing, and the Mountaintop as a "pinnacle" weapon is kind of a joke. If it sounds like I'm salty it's because I am, the PvP sandbox is actually in a really good place right now (Luna and Not Forgotten notwithstanding) but the game designers can't find a good way to incentivize people to play it and that's crazy to me.

Mountaintop seems pretty neat to me. It seems closer to what a pinnacle weapon should be honestly. Luna's, especially on console from what I hear, seems too strong. On PC there's a bit more choice but it's way harder to obtain I think.

• Options
    I got to say, I hate that you can only get Variks pages once every 7 weeks, since some friends of mine are guilting me into playing Anthem for the preview weekend, so my odds of getting Chronicler as soon as it starts is being reduced.

That said, the Variks pages could also have a higher drop rate, but c'mon Bungo.

• Options
    I'm done bitching but if you don't have a D1 perspective on Trials then I don't think we'll ever come to anything like agreement about it.