As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    Wait they made a separate area that brings back one of the worst parts of FFXI for some god-forsaken reason?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    I'm just sad because Eureka was a neat place in FFIII, and I've been wanting to get more info on Val since forever. But both of those concepts are bound up in something I actively don't want to even start, from what I hear about it.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Au Ra
    Late but sb dragoon owns

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Madican wrote: »
    Wait they made a separate area that brings back one of the worst parts of FFXI for some god-forsaken reason?

It's how you get your relic weapon this expansion, yeah.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Au Ra
    I wanna do the eureka dungeon but I'm still stuck in pagos

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    SE has expanded their rules on harassment and abusive behavior: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b2bf98053941a7b07e8d80ee41216f5aef769c60
    Until now, we have operated under the philosophy that “this is an MMORPG and frequent in-game intervention by SQUARE ENIX would inhibit player experience.” Under this philosophy in mind, GMs have intervened only in cases of racial or sexual discrimination or other severe cases.
    GMs would not actively take action against other types of behavior that were deemed to be “annoying but not crossing the line from an objective eye.” Instead encouraging the involved players to resolve the situation through communication, adding the players to the blacklist or other peaceful methods.

However, times have changed and although FINAL FANTASY is an MMORPG, it is now our belief that it is better for the community as a whole for us to “intervene in situations where a player is subjected to the abusive behavior of another player,” rather than “worrying about inhibiting communication between players.”

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Well I got BLU to 50.

And I'm not sure what to do about getting some of the dungeon skills now cause I don't want to keep bugging company mates but like no one is doing BLU stuff anymore.

And the primal skills are to much of a grind to be worth it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Miqo'te
    Alright so it feels like the game wants me to do crafting to get gear because I'm going like 5-10 levels without upgrades in some slots. So:
    1. What do I need to do to get into leatherworking, and where do I find the inventory space for all this shit
    2. What kind of gathering should I be doing
    3. What class should I make my retainer
    3b. What should I be selling on the markets? I just dumped off all my food and fishing stuff.

EDIT: I should add that I started all the crafting jobs and I'm level 21 in leatherworking

Crippl3 on
    Au Ra
    Ehh I would hold off on crafting until cap its a huge gil sink

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Thinking about potential alts, as Siege's inventory fills with stuff and it becomes clear that I'm going to have to investigate some of these classes on another character if I don't want it to get out of hand. I've already got a Male Hyur Highlander, so I probably want to roll some other combo. Miquo'te Seeker of the Sun, Roegadyn Sea Wolf, and Au Ra of either clan are the lead contenders, probably female in any case, although I've got some male Au Ra looks saved that are ludicrously Anime enough to amuse me.

The problem is, the lore-appropriate naming conventions for pretty much all non-Hyur are strict to the point of burdensome, and I'm having a hell of a time coming up with anything I like. I mean, I know there's nothing actually enforcing lore-appropriate names, but it would bother me if I didn't at least make a good try. You never know when Roleplaying is going to break out around you, right?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    You can always go with something that suggests the character was raised by another race or ethnicity. There's more than one NPC in the game who breaks the naming conventions. There's some lore in the game that basically says that currently the different races are mingling and generally living together without racial problems, but 200 years ago in some areas there were a lot more racial conflicts. Given the relaxation, I can see characters starting to adopt other race's naming schemes if you so like, or even mixing and matching surname/firstname (surname follows racial default, firstname borrows). Another option is to go for something similar, yet distinct. The framing of the game is that your character has journeyed to Eorzea from out of the starter region and it is your call for how far out from the starter region they have journeyed. I find that so long as you aren't named xxxSephirotCloudGoku420xx you can generally make a name work.

Do remember that one character can play all classes, so alts are more for if y ou want to go through the story again, RP reasons, or if you have access to the guildbank on both characters, extended bank space for tradeable items.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Miqo'te
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Alright so it feels like the game wants me to do crafting to get gear because I'm going like 5-10 levels without upgrades in some slots. So:
    1. What do I need to do to get into leatherworking, and where do I find the inventory space for all this shit
    3b. What should I be selling on the markets? I just dumped off all my food and fishing stuff.

EDIT: I should add that I started all the crafting jobs and I'm level 21 in leatherworking

MSQ does a decent enough job keeping your gear up to date as you progress. Your main worries are really just getting Ironworks stuff at lvl50, then Shire stuff at 60, and 70 has a whole other bag of tomes.

Mr. Happy has a decent enough video about it. (ignore the part where he says vendors are bad, they are fine enough as you power through MSQ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-MuEOJc3U

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    Roegadyn
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Just buy gear from vendors. Unlike WoW, vendor gear is perfectly fine. Also any Green quality items you have will probably last you 10+ levels unless you get a new green piece for that slot.
    The gear vendors in the major cities sell everything from level 1 to 49, so you can just stop in there instead of trying to find the right vendor out in the world like you used to.
    New vendor gear is available about every 5 levels or so in ARR, though the particular levels depend on you class cause ARR gear is dumb.
    Also jewelry is weirdly scarce before lvl50 so don't worry about that to much. I think vendors stop selling new pieces at like 26 or so.
    Once you get into expansion content their is new vendor gear every even level, but you don't need to replace everything every time.

You absolutely do not need to be crafting.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Roegadyn
    Oh also, since a lot of people seem to be starting this game

Do not buy any grey quality armor/weapons off the market board without looking it up first.

A common tactic some people use to make money is buy vendor gear and then list it for a markup to try and make money off new people. If it's grey and has stats, it's almost certainly available from a vendor.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    this is true of a lot of items

https://garlandtools.org is a great tool for checking if something is sold by an npc somewhere and for how much

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    can confirm that listing vendor items is a great way to make cash lazily

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Well I got BLU to 50.

And I'm not sure what to do about getting some of the dungeon skills now cause I don't want to keep bugging company mates but like no one is doing BLU stuff anymore.

And the primal skills are to much of a grind to be worth it.

I'm in a similar boat. I think I have all the open world skills, and none of the level 50 skills that require parties. Ifrit can at least be solo'd (I gave it like ten tries the other week and got nothing though, keep meaning to get back to it). Maybe we can schedule some FC farming night or something? I know I definitely need to get that turtle shield skill because it's apparently required for some of the Carnival fights.
    Thinking about potential alts, as Siege's inventory fills with stuff and it becomes clear that I'm going to have to investigate some of these classes on another character if I don't want it to get out of hand. I've already got a Male Hyur Highlander, so I probably want to roll some other combo. Miquo'te Seeker of the Sun, Roegadyn Sea Wolf, and Au Ra of either clan are the lead contenders, probably female in any case, although I've got some male Au Ra looks saved that are ludicrously Anime enough to amuse me.

The problem is, the lore-appropriate naming conventions for pretty much all non-Hyur are strict to the point of burdensome, and I'm having a hell of a time coming up with anything I like. I mean, I know there's nothing actually enforcing lore-appropriate names, but it would bother me if I didn't at least make a good try. You never know when Roleplaying is going to break out around you, right?

Before getting to alts, there are a few inventory management things you can do. You get two free Retainers, and they each have a bunch of pages of inventory slots. Your Chocobo also unlocks the ability to hold a bunch of items at some point. There is also the Armoire in Inn Rooms that can store achievement items, event items, and certain quest items. Many other special items can be re-purchased from the Calamity Salvager for fairly cheap so you can safely get rid of those items until you need them for leveling or glamour. Lastly, you can technically store a bunch of gear in your glamour dresser and just pull it back out when you need it (or leave it in there if it's just for glamour-purposes).

If you do want to roll an alt though, what I usually did for names was hit random until it I saw a name that would work well as a last name (even if it appeared in the first name slot) and then make up my own first name to go with it.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I fell for it too, just last weekend. Didn't know any better and ended up with a significant markup over the vendor. Lesson learned.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    this is true of a lot of items

https://garlandtools.org is a great tool for checking if something is sold by an npc somewhere and for how much

On a similar note-

If you take up crafting, each crafting guild sells all the items needed for recipes up to level 15 or so. Beast tribes sell a lot of the materials up to like 30 after that, and for some tiers in the expansions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Post Chain +2

FF14 will have a Mardi Gras Float in Sydney.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Started training my Chocobo* to fight today, and I'm very enthusiastic about this bird, but I also keep seeing people rolling around in FFIV Magitek armor or fuckin flying whales, and I'm kind of getting antsy to get in on that action. I definitely think all Magitek stuff is going to be my aesthetic, whenever it's an option.

* - Don Kwehote, only they won't let me put a space in, so just Kwehote for now until something better occurs to me.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    my Chocobro is named Kwehvin

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    mine is named Lard

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    also yeah, the mounts get totally radical

you should also, if you want a unicorn that trails sparkles, level up to White Mage

also they relatively recently made it so that almost all the mounts can fly in the expansion zones

summoning a wolf and just taking off into the air, or on aforementioned unicorn, is a delight

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I got the unicorn and I have to say, that's not a healthy looking equinoid

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Started training my Chocobo* to fight today, and I'm very enthusiastic about this bird, but I also keep seeing people rolling around in FFIV Magitek armor or fuckin flying whales, and I'm kind of getting antsy to get in on that action. I definitely think all Magitek stuff is going to be my aesthetic, whenever it's an option.

* - Don Kwehote, only they won't let me put a space in, so just Kwehote for now until something better occurs to me.

Story spoiler
    You get the Magitek mount as part of the storyline.

Also I named my chocobo Kwehney and I’m glad to see I’m not alone in in making puns.

Norgoth on
    Roegadyn
    I got the unicorn and I have to say, that's not a healthy looking equinoid

All the horses in this game look weird as hell. Guess that's why everyone decided to ride giant, smelly birds around.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I will say that my big, husky Roegadyn sitting on that unicorn is....certainly a look.

Not necessarily a good look, granted. But a look nonetheless

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I kind of wish I had gotten the Warbear back in the day.

sig.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Kinda salty that my panther mount can’t fly.

I did so many tank missions to get that panther, and it can’t fly like a horse can.

Roegadyn
    mori1972 wrote: »
    I will say that my big, husky Roegadyn sitting on that unicorn is....certainly a look.

Not necessarily a good look, granted. But a look nonetheless

And then you start flying and it's the best.

I didn't care for the unicorn much but then they let it fly and I look so ridiculous on it that I love it now.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • MercwolfMercwolf Registered User regular
    Who do I need to talk too, to get a guild invite?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Enlong wrote: »
    Kinda salty that my panther mount can’t fly.

I did so many tank missions to get that panther, and it can’t fly like a horse can.

There's a flying version that wears a snazzy deep red suit of armor.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Larlar
    at what point in the signup process do you put in the recruit-a-friend code?
    e: nevermind figured it out

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    Yeah okay I'll pay for that

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    Flying Behemoth is still one of my favorites. It's so imposing on the ground but then you start flying and can't help but chuckle at how stupid it looks.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
This discussion has been closed.