As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Nothing about fixing Mvemba's leader ability.

Do they still not know it's bugged?

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

What's the bug?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453

What's the bug?

The positive part of his ability (gets the founder belief of whatever religion is dominant is his empire) isn't working at all.

Only the negative part of his ability (can't found a religion or build holy sites) is working as intended.

That means his ability is currently all downside and no upside.

What's the bug?

The positive part of his ability (gets the founder belief of whatever religion is dominant is his empire) isn't working at all.

Only the negative part of his ability (can't found a religion or build holy sites) is working as intended.

Oh, that is pretty major. Mvemba is super fun to play and this is damn shame.

Steam
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    What are Valentine's Cards but Policy Cards of the heart?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Hall of Fame

Only took 2 years to add a scoreboard!

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    If you sign up for a 2K account, you can get some free Scout Cat DLC when Gathering Storm launches.

That was the best line of the patch notes.
    ?.png

Dirtyboy on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    new expansion is out

unrelated: uh oh, it's 1:30am

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Genghis Khan got hit by a tornado, so I gave him 700 gold. I checked the rankings, and the next highest person only gave him 100 gold. I may have given Genghis Khan way too much gold, guys!

It's the medieval era, I've built five wonders, and I still only have two cities. What the hell am I doing in this game?

Something just revealed the entire map in the renaissance era and i have no idea what did it.

Steam
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Phew. I almost One More Turned myself into no sleep last night on a work night. Luckily my roomie came in to say "Dude, don't you have to work tomorrow?"

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    There is a new multiplayer mode called "Play by Cloud"

It's play by email, except the save is stored on the cloud so everyone can access it easily, you'll get a steam notification when it's your turn, and no more "accidentally" losing the latest save.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

What's the bug?

Oh, that is pretty major. Mvemba is super fun to play and this is damn shame.

Wow. I never noticed that. He’s still pretty top tier.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oh wow, the game now names Deserts, Mountain Ranges, and Rivers and gives you an option to have their name displayed on the map (along with national parks, natural wonders, and volcanoes), and the tiles art has been touched up and are more easily distinguished. It's these little touches I'm really enjoying.

Edit: Just ran into what I think is a small bug that could be huge if exploitable. I had a scout set as fortified until healed, I ended my turn with the scout selected and it healed, then during the barbarian movement phase I right clicked and the scout moved and when it came to my turn I could move the scout the full 3 movement.

Veevee on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    does anyone know if there's an aggregated list of balance changes anywhere? There's some stuff in the gathering storm patch notes, but nothing about leader abilities or other civ-specific stuff

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Starting to get my Mali to just go nuts. I need more faith though.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    does anyone know if there's an aggregated list of balance changes anywhere? There's some stuff in the gathering storm patch notes, but nothing about leader abilities or other civ-specific stuff

Can't find anything either. I know England got changed from British museum to Workshop of the World which lets you earn resources faster and get better energy from them. Think one of the early game focused civs also got changed.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular

Mali is tough to place cities with - you need some non-desert to start with so you don't have to buy everything to get it going but then a bunch of desert to grow into for all the trade cash/desert folklore/Petra goodness.

Absalon wrote: »

Mali is tough to place cities with - you need some non-desert to start with so you don't have to buy everything to get it going but then a bunch of desert to grow into for all the trade cash/desert folklore/Petra goodness.

Honestly, the biggest problem I've been having is Housing.

But it still feels like playing a ramp deck. More explicitly than normal civ.

Grievance system didn't fix the underlying problem of any aggressive war ending all diplomacy for you. Hmph.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Something just revealed the entire map in the renaissance era and i have no idea what did it.

Did you become the suzerain of someone? They seem to go exploring now and give you their map when you do.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Under the new diplomacy system, it seems like it's easier than ever to friendship-lock the entire map.

Whenever I first meet someone, I send them a delegation and give them open borders for free on that same turn. That gets them into "green face" status at the start of the next turn, and when I ask them for friendship, they always say yes. As long as I'm diligent about renewing the friendship on the same turn it expires, they never seem to refuse.

I'm actually racking up a large amount of grievances against everyone, because I'm declared friends with every civ on the map, so whenever any civ declares war on any other civ, I get grievances against the aggressor for "attacking a friend". I could pretty much go full Hitler right now and no one would bat an eye.

Also, banning great admirals is the new banning crabs.

The Suquba in my capital is just a magnet for spies. Makes sense, they can siphon like 800 gold a turn if they pull it off. I think I have like a level 9 spy in there now though.

I lost 2400 gold on a siphon this afternoon. Mali gets real dumb.

Steam
    Grievance system didn't fix the underlying problem of any aggressive war ending all diplomacy for you. Hmph.

I think the devs don't actually see this as a problem. They want you to use cassius belli when going on offense (or just play as Persia).

I think the devs don't actually see this as a problem. They want you to use cassius belli when going on offense (or just play as Persia).

I did! Bastards converted my holy city so I pounded them into dust.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Since the bonus is only for desert tiles next to the city centre, the trick is placing cities on the edge of deserts rather than right in the middle like other desert-focused civs.

Though I admit that it might only work for me because I don't play the higher difficulties so can take more risks with my settlers.

edited February 2019
    I lost 2400 gold on a siphon this afternoon. Mali gets real dumb.

I'm at like 9k now. I don't really have much to spend my 50k gold on. I guess 10 Giant Death Robots?

Also, I will say the grievances decayed much quicker and I could resume diplomacy with people in about 30 turns. So it IS better.

enlightenedbum on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

I mean I feel like that's just the AI playing the game. If I saw another civ doing succesful offensive wars I'd absolutely turn hostile on them. Cripple your strongest opponents first.

Victory with Mali. I... might have destroyed the planet in pursuit of money and hammers. Oops! On the plus side, 2k gold/turn.

Under the new diplomacy system, it seems like it's easier than ever to friendship-lock the entire map.

Whenever I first meet someone, I send them a delegation and give them open borders for free on that same turn. That gets them into "green face" status at the start of the next turn, and when I ask them for friendship, they always say yes. As long as I'm diligent about renewing the friendship on the same turn it expires, they never seem to refuse.

I'm actually racking up a large amount of grievances against everyone, because I'm declared friends with every civ on the map, so whenever any civ declares war on any other civ, I get grievances against the aggressor for "attacking a friend". I could pretty much go full Hitler right now and no one would bat an eye.

Also, banning great admirals is the new banning crabs.

Is there a way to influence what votes actually pop up?

Steam
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, the goal of the whole warmongering system is to try to 1) approximate the feeling of players teeming up on an aggressive neighbor and 2) create disincentives to endless conquest in general. If the system is making you not declare wars or conquer cities when you otherwise easily would, it's working properly.

NREqxl5.jpg
    I mean, the goal of the whole warmongering system is to try to 1) approximate the feeling of players teeming up on an aggressive neighbor and 2) create disincentives to endless conquest in general. If the system is making you not declare wars or conquer cities when you otherwise easily would, it's working properly.

But is it fun? That's always my question with systems like these.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I can finally fulfill my destiny of taking over the world through force of hockey.

• AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice a significant increase in barbarian spawn?

Started a Canada run on huge continents Prince and turned disasters to 3.

Spawned on some grasslands boardering to and a desert. From turn one through medical I was surrounded by 5-6 camps that I would clear and then spawn again as soon as I moved toward the next camp.

I spent the entire early game playing whack a mole and inly got it to stop spawning so many when I had enough units and a city to grant vision in a wide radius of my capitol.

The gold and era score kept me afloat/in Golden age but I'm way behind on science and culture.

But is it fun? That's always my question with systems like these.

I dunno, I think it is; something I never really liked about previous civ games was that there was really no reason not to just build a large-ish military and steadily roll over at least whatever continent you happened to start on.

tbh I think a lot of the dislike of the system in pre-GS civ 6 was the result of just not understanding how it worked; people didn't get the importance of getting other civs to cede cities vs. conquering them, importance of using causus belli, etc (though in fairness the game did/does kind of a poor job of explaining how they work.) I haven't played GS enough yet to really tell whether the addition of grievance is better, but I tend to think a numerical count with make it more intuitive

NREqxl5.jpg
    and yeah it does seem like barbarian camps repop much faster now, even on normal barbarian density

kinda nice for getting an early golden age though

NREqxl5.jpg
    Ceding doubled your warmongering penalties, it didn't reduce them. Which was dumb.

wait, really? I wonder if I installed a mod that changed that and then forgot about it or something

that does seem dumb

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Have you always been able to melee attack through your new units or is that new in GS? I don't remember being able to do that before and it makes cities on good defensive terrain much easier to take now.