As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls Artist-NPC Simulator 2019 (its called Eastshade))
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqckD7PzNvw

This one has been on my horizon for a good long while. Looking forward to seeing how it plays.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    After much time and technical difficulties, @EvmaAlsar and I have returned to the glorious land of Arizona Sunshine!
    ?imw=1024&imh=1024&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

What sick man uses baby gun to fight?!

Good to do some coop VRing again.

Reminder TNG tonight is Iron Brigade at 4 pm PST

Karoz on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »
    Normally I've very cautious in my playstyle, but the Vanguard "get out of trouble by getting into more trouble" button is one of my favourite things in gaming.
    I'm one of those heathens that prefers Infiltrator - which also was vastly improved from ME1 to ME2/3.
    Aistan wrote: »
    Once you get to ME3 you gain access to the Valiant, the best gun in the universe.

You guys are making it very difficult to continue putting off another replay of the trilogy and it's like I got other stuff to do in my life than play Mass Effect all the time.

Anyway, as for mods, I never used many but I remember ME2's loading screens were tied to the length of that animation (elevator moving in the Normandy or whatever) regardless of how quickly your computer actually loaded, so there's either a mod to shorten those animations or you could just like delete them and have a brief black screen, can't remember. Apparently there's a mod, though some of the comments suggest it crashes with DLC loads, though page 2 comments seem to have a fix. Big quality of life improvement, anyway.

Also, save editing to just give yourself a bunch of the stupid resources and whatever, because who needs tedious grinding when we already got day jobs.

And there's literally just like an .ini file you can edit with weapon parameters and some power parameters. Not recommended for a normal playthrough, but giving the Widow a 100-round mag + the fire rate of the Revenant and turning it into a machine gun that punches holes in gods was hilarious, even if it meant heavy mouse swinging when fighting wicked recoil.

You also had to ini edit to get the controls to actually work like a proper PC game instead of a console "one button does everything" abomination

Not a problem if you use the controller mod. But yeah, if you want to play KBAM I could see that being a useful tweak.

In case anyone was wondering, this is my mod list so far:

ME2 Controller Mod
    No Minigames
    4x Faster Loading Screens at 60fps - works with DLC
    A Lot Of Textures (ALOT) for ME2 - plus included/suggested mods.

I didn't actually mind the minigames, but it gets rid of planet scanning which seems like work, not gaming. The loading screen mod plays nicely with DLC.

Everything is working fine so far with a 970 at 60 FPS. Now to decide if I want to play with any of the ENB stuff and to see if I can track down a slutty Garrus outfit.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    After much time and technical difficulties, @EvmaAlsar and I have returned to the glorious land of Arizona Sunshine!
    ?imw=1024&imh=1024&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

What sick man uses baby gun to fight?!

Good to do some coop VRing again.

Reminder TNG tonight is Iron Brigade at 4 pm PST

This screenshot was taken after I found this puny pew pew gun in an abandoned car; the sights were so teeny that I had to hold the controller up to my nose to view down them properly.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Now the Steam store is showcasing mods?

I disapprove. I don't even have a good reason to. I just do. Bah humbug.

(edit: it actually looks and sounds super impressive and I'll probably install it sometime. I don't even know why it bugs me that it's on the front page of the store. I guess I'm just feeling irrational today.)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    As long as they meet the quality of the rest of the steam store, what's the problem?

... oh.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

(edit: it actually looks and sounds super impressive and I'll probably install it sometime. I don't even know why it bugs me that it's on the front page of the store. I guess I'm just feeling irrational today.)

They've done this sort of thing since at least ARK, if not earlier. In fact, one of their "official" DLC/Mod maps is abandoned and has many, many issues with it. So as Ais says, Steam Stamp of Quality.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Got my dread knot with the X configuration, don't understand why there weren't any turrets at the end of those. So now I'm just going rack up some money and get enough weapons the fully kitted out and then I shall .....*crashes into tiny bit of wreckage after exiting warp then explodes*

Really happy there's no perma death in this thing. Is there a rogue like version of this game play model?

Because I want to decrypt alien transmissions and open up a subspace anomaly to the prison dimension and steal the death ray of the nightmare rainbow

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So Eastshade goes places.

All of the inhabitants are anthropomorphic talking animals - apes, owls, bears, deer, etc.

One of the quest lines has you trying to help a lesbian bear ask out another bear.

Lesbian bear... lesbearins... lesbears?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So Eastshade goes places.

All of the inhabitants are anthropomorphic talking animals - apes, owls, bears, deer, etc.

One of the quest lines has you trying to help a lesbian bear ask out another bear.

Lesbian bear... lesbearins... lesbears?

Welp, that game sure shot up to the top of my wishlist.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite are on sale for $15 for all 3. That's remastered versions of each and the Infinite season pass.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite are on sale for $15 for all 3. That's remastered versions of each and the Infinite season pass.

I think it's Minerva's Den, too.

Infinite wasn't remastered on PC, they figured it was already pretty enough if you max it (which is probably true, but I don't recall if the console remaster offered anything more).

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh finally. Every time that goes on sale I miss it. I missed those games and never found them for a good price.

I also bought Duke Nukem Forever. Because I keep hearing how bad it is and feel I need to experience it first hand.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I also bought Duke Nukem Forever. Because I keep hearing how bad it is and feel I need to experience it first hand.

Its bad. Its real real bad. I wanted it to be decent, but it doesnt even come close.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Its bad. Its real real bad. I wanted it to be decent, but it doesnt even come close.

Duke Nukem Forever tries so hard to be Half Life 2 that it starts to get sad partway through the game. It's worth playing just to actually experience it though, and there are parts that are entertaining. It's really tragic how mediocre it ended up.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I installed this and took a look. It has a very impressive intro and I'm curious to see where things go from here. Even if it has a lot of fairly average fantasy stuff about mighty wizards and destinies and whatnot, they've spent a lot of effort on this and so far it looks and sounds great. Hard to beat the price of 0 too.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

I tried to play the Bioshock remaster when it first came out and it had an issue where the game could potentially crash any time you opened the map. Checking the forums it seem that was never fixed.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Cool! Flower is now on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/966330/Flower/

It was originally a PS3 exclusive. A very pretty exploration game where you are basically wind collecting flower petals to move on to the next area. $7 is a pretty good price for it, but be warned: it is a very short game.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Now that the (entirely justified) outrage is dying down a bit, I wanted to go back and signal boost this:
    Brolo wrote: »
    Arcade Spirits, a romantic visual novel, follows an alternate timeline set in the year 20XX where the 1983 video game crash never occurred. After a turbulent work history, you are granted employment at the Funplex, a popular arcade, home to a host of unique personalities and customers. Where will this new-found employment take you? Who will you meet along the way? Will you find the romance you're seeking?

Design your own character from the ground up - pronoun, hairstyle, skin tone, hair color, eye color and more are completely customizable and are reflected throughout the game in both gameplay and artwork!

With roleplaying-based choices, you will be able to grow your personality and relationships in any way you desire; Friendship, Platonic or something more intimate! Work hard and build the relationship you desire with a total of seven romanceable characters!

The Identity Identifier System, or IRIS, can track your relationship statuses with all characters throughout Arcade Spirits as well as your personality traits, from Quirky, Steady, and Kindly, to Gutsy and Basically.

Everything you choose in Arcade Spirits, from your relationships to your personality, your crisis management moments, and a myriad other decision will have an effect on the future of your arcade!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/910630/Arcade_Spirits/
    Feb 12 - Arcade Spirits

The lead dev is a friend of mine, and I can attest that this is truly a labor of love. If you have any interest in arcades and/or spirits visual novels, check this one out.

signature.png

Bump! Get in on this, folks!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Ianator @übergeek and @destroyah87 for having some Iron Brigade fun for our TNG

Reminder for FNG is Table Top Simulator--Secret Hitler

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Cool! Flower is now on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/966330/Flower/

It was originally a PS3 exclusive. A very pretty exploration game where you are basically wind collecting flower petals to move on to the next area. $7 is a pretty good price for it, but be warned: it is a very short game.

Similarly, ThatGameCompany's OTHER game, Journey, had an Epic Games Store page. No official news, but you don't have a page on a major PC gaming store if you aren't coming to PC eventually.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Minervas den is a very good story and I cannot say why without spoiling the ending. Anyone who's played it understands why...
    Because the twist that it was the thinker guidingyou with your own voice is at once believable because of clues,
    But still surprising.

Also, Porter's story needs to be the textbook example of a baseline how to have a "black" guy in a game and be reasonably good.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Never ceases to amaze me how bloody big games are now. I was shocked when I noticed my 2tb games drive was down to 600gb, so I went looking around. Steam Library is 600gb?! So I went and totaled up the space the games are taking... yep, that'll do it. Just Cause 3 is bloody 62gb? Downloading the free weekend Rainbow Six Seige, and it's over 80gb? With the High Res texture pack, it's over 100gb?

Geez. Takes me back to installing Half Life 2 off 7 CD's because I didn't have a DVD drive.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    For all those times i truly wish to hear the voices of a language i can in no way understand, or in the case of DOOM a MP mode i will never play.

Its really shameful on the developers part to have such massive file sizes for games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I didn't even consider that a lot of it is likely audio in other languages.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I once installed Win95 off of the thirteen floppies just because I was bored.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Shadow of Mordor was 4 DVDs I think. And I'm pretty sure it would have taken just as long to download and install as it did to install via dvd.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Looking at Destiny 2, from what I can tell at least 12gb is foreign language audio. That's a decent chunk of dead space I can't use at all.

It really shouldn't be hard to set only audio for the selected region to download by default, and others as optional. Games used to ask you what language you wanted to use when installing.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Isn't that a line from a Johnny Cash song...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I saw a game or two recently that offered foreign language audio as optional DLC, I think, but I'm totally spacing on which titles. But that's a good way to do it.

I've been mulling over massive install sizes for a bit. In recent months I installed RDR2 and Gears 4 on my Xbox One. RDR2 was a physical copy on two Blu-rays, Gears was a download. Both games, staggeringly, are over the 100GB mark. I have an 80 megabit connection. RDR2 installed in around an hour, with a disc swap in the middle; Gears 4, even on my fairly decent connection, took many hours, I should have timed it but it was a huge chunk of the day. Maybe there's X1X 4K textures in there, I don't know. But why aren't they optional? I can't use them on my base level console.

On the PC side, the last couple of years I've bought F1 2017 and F1 2018 as physical copies, because they've been cheaper (significantly so) and they include a Steam key anyway. They deserve a mention because they still include the entire game on DVDs to install (2017 is on 3 discs; 2018 is on 4). Before them, the last physical PC game I bought was Fallout 4 (for that stupid Pip-Boy; lessons were learned), which, despite its install size, only came on one DVD and still expected you to download the rest. And MGSV, famously (although I didn't buy this one physically), included a disc that literally had the Steam client installer on it and nothing else, not one byte of game code.

I can't help but think of people stuck with terribly slow connections (e.g. @Santa Claustrophobia ) and what a crapshoot it must be buying physical PC games if they choose to do so. And I just like to give Codemasters a shout-out for continuing to do it right with the F1 games even in this day and age - hell, 2017 and 2018 even have smart slipcovers too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gears' file size ballooned due to multiplayer content. They added a ton of new maps and characters to an already large game. (Large in file size, I mean.)

IIRC, the 4K textures dont download unless you're on an X.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Gears' file size ballooned due to multiplayer content. They added a ton of new maps and characters to an already large game.

IIRC, the 4K textures dont download unless you're on an X.

Blimey. I dread to think what the install size is on an X, then.

It seems crazy that a game like Gears could come anywhere near that size anyway.

• Options
    I'm imagining dramatic prose with unreal 1 engine models and language of sims gibberish

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Isn't that a line from a Johnny Cash song...?

"It was a helluva time, installin' Kings Quest 6
    And I didn't even know how I was gonna fix
    The simple fact that my boot disk wouldn't work.

But I got through floppy disks one through seven,
    and I moved onto ten and thought it was heaven,
    and that's about when my hard drive started to jerk...."

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    More games needs to steal that feature in the Master Chief Collection where you can say "Hey, I don't give a shit about Halo 4's multiplayer, so don't download that" or "I beat these games already, so just give me the multiplayer" or, if you're like me 'I ain't ever touching multiplayer so just give me the campaigns."

I think it does langauges the same way.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    More games needs to still that feature in the Master Chief Collection where you can say "Hey, I don't give a shit about Halo 4's multiplayer, so don't download that" or "I beat these games already, so just give me the multiplayer" or, if you're like me 'I ain't ever touching multiplayer so just give me the campaigns."

Yeah, Halo MCC's modular install is very cool.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    More games needs to steal that feature in the Master Chief Collection where you can say "Hey, I don't give a shit about Halo 4's multiplayer, so don't download that" or "I beat these games already, so just give me the multiplayer" or, if you're like me 'I ain't ever touching multiplayer so just give me the campaigns."

Once you reach a certain number of gigabytes, that should be mandatory.

• Options

Isn't that how windows handles languages other than your own native installed tongue?

• Options

Isn't that how windows handles languages other than your own native installed tongue?

Windows uses the language files of its set region by default, but it's up to the installer to not install foreign languages if you don't want them.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I can't help but think of people stuck with terribly slow connections (e.g. Santa Claustrophobia ) and what a crapshoot it must be buying physical PC games if they choose to do so.

Such shame that I'm that guy.

I don't buy physical PC games anymore. I'm not sure what was the last physical PC game I ever bought. The Movies, maybe.

This discussion has been closed.