As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    It's just that Ontario just finished having a liberal party drown in its own scandals, as toothless as those scandals might be, and we handed everything over to Doug Ford.

And Doug Ford has seemingly done *everything* in his power to fuck me over:

About to have a kid? Kindergarten and child care are now gone.
    Lost your apartment due to a fire? Rent controls across the province are now gone.
    Looking to contact your city councillor's office for assistance? He's gone, Toronto city council has been slashed in half.
    Need a subway or bus to get to your job? TTC is now uploaded to the province, get ready for service cuts and fee hikes.

Like I've lost faith in Trudeau for all sorts of reasons, but i'm not really sure I can actively afford another conservative party trying to destroy me at the Federal level.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'd vote for a redassed pitchfork swingin goatee Satan before literally any proponent of conservative political ideology forever and ever amen

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    It's just that Ontario just finished having a liberal party drown in its own scandals, as toothless as those scandals might be, and we handed everything over to Doug Ford.

Lost your apartment due to a fire? Rent controls across the province are now gone.
    Looking to contact your city councillor's office for assistance? He's gone, Toronto city council has been slashed in half.
    Need a subway or bus to get to your job? TTC is now uploaded to the province, get ready for service cuts and fee hikes.

Like I've lost faith in Trudeau for all sorts of reasons, but i'm not really sure I can actively afford another conservative party trying to destroy me at the Federal level.

Jesus dude, seriously? I'm sorry to hear that...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

You guys could have voted NDP

Just saying.... We are not a two party system.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited February 2019
    Zck881Lh.jpg

we did vote NDP

we voted more for the two left parties than the right wing party

the right wing part is now the majority party

Brolo on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Zck881Lh.jpg

we did vote NDP

so what you are saying is we SHOULD have a two party system?

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Disco11 wrote: »

we did vote NDP

No, that's not what I said.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I'm really holding out hope for PEI's electoral reform referendum this year. Between the size of the electorate and the pretty good chance they'll elect a party that will actually honor it if it passes, it could actually happen.
    Maybe if one province gets electoral reform and the rest of the country gets to see that the world is still turning, it could make it more possible elsewhere.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I don't have any faith in referendums, if a party wants to get away from FPTP they need to just do it rather than adding a second step of trying to get the public to agree to it or else it will never happen, and they know it.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2019
    They actually had a referendum back in 2016 with an instant runoff, offering FPTP and several alternatives. In the fourth round, down to two options, Mixed Member Proportional actually beat FPTP. However, their premier at the time decided that the result, "Wasn't conclusive enough", because turnout was lower than a general election.

This next one will be held at the same time as their general election, and will just be between MMP and FPTP. There's also a very real possibility that the PEI Greens will have influence in the next legislature, and they're very much in favor of making the change.

I agree that I'd rather they just do it, but at least this one seems possible.

TubularLuggage on
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    They actually had a referendum back in 2016 with an instant runoff, offering FPTP and several alternatives. In the fourth round, down to two options, Mixed Member Proportional actually beat FPTP. However, their premier at the time decided that the result, "Wasn't conclusive enough", because turnout was lower than a general election.

Yeah, that's even worse, it shows just how much a ruling party doesn't want it when they get people to jump through all the hoops and it still comes out against FPTP so they find another excuse to not put it in.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2019
    Daimar wrote: »

Yeah, that's even worse, it shows just how much a ruling party doesn't want it when they get people to jump through all the hoops and it still comes out against FPTP so they find another excuse to not put it in.

I mean, it's given the PEI Greens a boost in campaigning on it, so at least it's not like nothing came out of it.
    Again, I'd rather they just implement it too. But I'm not sure if not even bringing it up in the first place is better than waffling on referendum results.

TubularLuggage on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    So last night at about 11 ish, there was an Amber Alert about a missing 11 year old girl in Brampton. This bare minimum inconvenience to some people caused them to complain about it on social media and even to dial in to 911 to voice their concerns over the timing of it.

In the absolute worst possible outcome the girl was unfortunately found murdered, likely by her father so the overwhelming response today was to dunk on those people who felt they were the real victims.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

we did vote NDP

No, that's not what I said.

Unfortunately, FPTP is more favourable to a two party system :(

steam_sig.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    So last night at about 11 ish, there was an Amber Alert about a missing 11 year old girl in Brampton. This bare minimum inconvenience to some people caused them to complain about it on social media and even to dial in to 911 to voice their concerns over the timing of it.

In the absolute worst possible outcome the girl was unfortunately found murdered, likely by her father so the overwhelming response today was to dunk on those people who felt they were the real victims.

This was such a bullshit response by some of the people who received the alert. My wife and I did last night. I was just getting into bed and it woke her up. Sure it was alarming... but our response? "Oh... an Amber Alert. I hope the kid is OK."

The people who got mad at the alarm on their devices can go fuck a duck.

quovadis13 wrote: »

Jeez. That's awful. Honestly, the fact that people living cushy lives feel inconvenienced by being asked, "Hey, if you see anything about this horrible crime, maybe say a thing. If you don't, carry on with your day", is just ... Ugh.
    Very sorry to hear about how it turned out.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I got that klaxon notice about five times through the night, after the “all clear” was given. I’m just lucky I work nights or this would have wrecked me.

Other than weird happenstances like that, yeah those folk are idiots.

Edit: there’s more nuance than “people complaining about it are idiots”, but I’m not the one to spell it out here.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    On PEI politics;
    It honestly would be a little bit fitting if PEI were the first province to adopt a new voting system, or if they were the first province to elect the Greens. Reading up, they're actually a province of firsts.
    They're the first province to elect a female premier, the first province to elect a premier not of European descent, and the first province to elect an openly gay male premier (their current premier).

There's something to be said for that, where in this age of political awfulness, PEI's next election will basically be between a relatively popular trailblazing Liberal, and an affable Green.

(Also, @Daimar , I hope it doesn't feel like I was getting contentious there. You were raising some good points. While probably not, I just hope you know I wasn't meaning to be combative there. All the best to you).

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I got that klaxon notice about five times through the night, after the “all clear” was given. I’m just lucky I work nights or this would have wrecked me.

I’m not even in Ontario and my girlfriend and I both received the alert. Neither of us minded at all.

On the other hand, I would really like to see some improvements made to the alert systems, where you can recall an aler to double check info, and have alerts carry embedded links to more info.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I just found out that it went out to people outside of Ontario. That’s... a little much. Like, over in BC? Why do they need to be notified about something nearly on the opposite coast. If you’re gonna have the system, install a little nuance in how it’s applied, I think.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I didn't get the alert in montreal, and yet people in BC got it?

That seems off.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

Five? I heard it only twice. I guess more came in after the ZZZ's hit...

Psykoma wrote: »
    I didn't get the alert in montreal, and yet people in BC got it?

That seems off.

Looking at where I got this from, I may have misread them.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I'm on bc and didn't get it.
    I don't really have a problem with Nationwide alerts as people don't always do shit in province.

No one's life gets ruined from waking up to a text message so those people can get fucked.
    If my kid was missing I'd want all of you aware, all of Canada.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I feel so bad, because I got the text saying “Child has been found” and felt relieved.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I haven't looked into it at all, but my suspicion is that the alert is sent out based on your area code. Given that my partner has been living with me in NS for 3 years but still has her Montreal phone number, I'm pretty sure that there are people in other parts country who have also opted to not change numbers despite relocating. _shrug_

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I haven't looked into it at all, but my suspicion is that the alert is sent out based on your area code. Given that my partner has been living with me in NS for 3 years but still has her Montreal phone number, I'm pretty sure that there are people in other parts country who have also opted to not change numbers despite relocating. _shrug_

Which is of course the wrong way to do it. Part of the whole point of waiting for LTE should have been to target phones better

For me, I don't have a car and I typically ignore everyone else as much as possible when out walking so it's basically impossible for it to be useful for me

There's a lot to be desired in the implementation. Sending everything at the maximum cannot-be-ignored-always-alert level is... irritating, that's why there are severity levels in the system. Sending the cancellation/all clear at the same maximum severity. The alerts are so long and wordy that they actually need to send multiple alerts to send everything. Poor geotargeting of phones, decisions to target everyone - pretty sure all of Ontario got the thunder Bay alert a year ago, I don't know if Manitoba got that too but it's way more likely that they would have been more relevant than southern or eastern Ontario was

They should not try to geotarget these because it's not difficult for Joe kidnapper to Fuck off somewhere else.

I can't even manage a teeny inkling of care for people who think getting notified of a child in danger is an inconvenience.

This will sum it up.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/you-are-horrible-people/

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    They should not try to geotarget these because it's not difficult for Joe kidnapper to Fuck off somewhere else.

I can't even manage a teeny inkling of care for people who think getting notified of a child in danger is an inconvenience.

This will sum it up.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/you-are-horrible-people/

Constant false alarms do not increase vigilance, they decrease it. Time and space specificity are not bonus features, they are essential for the system to work.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I mean, the last time I got an alarm before this was maybe during the Ottawa tornados? Maybe? If not when they were actually testing the thing.

I don't think they're using the system so often that people are being less vigilant about reading them. And they actually got a call from someone who saw the murderer's car because of the alert.

If we were getting alerts every other week, maybe that'd be a concern, but right now I'm fairly convinced the system works and the people who whined are impressively self-centered.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If you call 911 to complain about child danger alerts I hope your fuckin phone detonates

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Mrs. Facepunch was telling me about this last night. The official response from the OPP should be to tell those complaining to go fuck themselves.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    If this was happening every week everywhere I'd be more sympathetic to the desensitization thing but it isn't. I've received a few over the years from Alberta and I read every one.

And this system does actually work as evidenced by this situation though it was tragically too late.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The hypothetical person from BC who gets blasted awake 5 times from an amber alert from Ontario, I would say has the right to complain. So long as it's a mild "What in the fuck are you doing wasting time and effort warning me about it? I cannot help in any form or ability whatsoever. Focus on the area where it will help the most.".

It's the sort of thing that were it to happen to me, I wouldn't be angry at the alert, but more the bureaucracy that led to fucking up the alert like that in the first place. Because now this news has planted seeds of doubt in my head, wondering if they fucked up getting the alert out there where it needed to be the most.

And the whole point of the system is to warn the surrounding area, ideally as fast as possible. Unless you think El Fucko here somehow kidnapped the child and near instantly jumped on a plane and it's been something like an hour or two before the alert was first initiated. At which point I'd think they'd instantly go to checking planes, airport security feeds, and other direct sources (to the point that it's possible it's good news if they did, because they're more easily findable). It is essentially wasted effort to warn anybody 3 or more provinces out, and that effort is better spent warning people inside the bubble where it happened. Our country is fuck-off levels of huge remember. Two hours of driving typically won't have you reach any border in most cases. And yeah, the cry wolf phenomenon is sadly true, so if you alert the person in BC over a kidnapping in PEI enough times, they might ignore it when it really matters.

And it shouldn't have to be said, but just in case. The person who was in the city, got the alert, and still went "UGH!"? Yeah, screw them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    In my job, I have to call people all the time, and even though I live in the north, we get all kinds of phone numbers from all over Canada as people either haven't changed to a local plan, or don't plan on staying long enough to do so. Or just don't, since it doesn't really matter anymore.

So the alert in BC could have just been someone in BC with an Ontario phone number.

• breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    the alert doesn't use area codes. I have a NB cell phone in Ontario and I got the alert multiple times. they must use cell tower location data

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Well, things escalated a bit... Gerald Butts is out as Principal Secretary to the PM.

(Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister)

That's a fairly big blow, as by all accounts, the brain trust of this government is the PM, Purchase, and Butts. May be a good opportunity to get a fresh viewpoint into the PMO office, but still a blow.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who had never heard of Butts before today? And I do pay some attention to politics...

sig.gif
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    He is (was) a pretty big deal.. very much so. As I said, anything coming out of the PMO was the work of him and Kate Purchase.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who had never heard of Butts before today? And I do pay some attention to politics...

You might not be, as political operatives (esp in Canada), aren't well known. However Butts had a big hand behind the policies of the McGuinty gov't and the ascent of Trudeau, so he's a pretty important figure.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
This discussion has been closed.