As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Violence does kind of solve most problems in DnD.

Once my rogue met his first mimic he stabbed every treasure chest.of course he was professionally paranoid lol

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    We robbed the train. We got the artefact.
    My contact was a traitor.

My dog got stabbed.

I received a mysterious note.

It was pretty harrowing

Did you shine some bright lights?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This afternoon I started constructing the cultural aspects of my different nations/kingdoms.

I chose to start with my stand-in for America, the human capitol, The Federation of New Arcadia
    The Federation of New Arcadia
    Government
    - Federation of five separate nation-states (midwest, northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest)
    Religion
    - Monotheism with sects dedicated to individual Archangels
    Holidays
    - The Jubilation of the Fallen (summer): The annual celebration of fallen knights, soldiers & warriors. Citizens dress up as their favorite deceased legend and parade around their city.
    - Day of the Bounty (autumn): The annual celebration of the harvest, in which citizens are encourages to try new recipes/foods and permitted to eat to their gluttonous fill with no fear of judgment.
    - Guardian’s Gift-Giving (winter): The annual religious holiday in which citizens decorate presents and gift them as if personally delivered by an Archangel.
    - Night of the Gambit (spring): The annual, nation-wide finale to the poker competition.
    Entertainment
    - Books/Circus/Live-Theater: “To Kill an Owlbear”, “The Duke of Imaginarium’s Carnival of Monsters”, “The Royal Ragtime”, ect...
    Music/Instruments
    - Bluegrass/Folk Music/Jazz: Banjo, Clarinet, Drum, Harmonica, Fiddle, Flute, Jug, Mandoline, Piano, Saxophone, Trumpet, Violin, Washboard, & Washtub Bass
    Cuisine
    - Barbeque/Seafood: “Angels on horseback” (skewered bacon wrapped in oysters), barbequed catfish, crab cakes, grilled cod/salmon, lobster, meatloaf, pickled pigs’ feet, & smoked scallops
    Beverages
    - Bourbon, lapsang souchong (smoked tea), peach brandy, Rauchbier (cherry wood smoked lager), rum punch, & sweet tea
    Games/Sports: Billiards, Blackjack, Cornhole, Darts, Horseshoes, Parcheesi, Poker, Roulette, Shuffleboard, Solitaire, Softball, “Steal the Bacon”, Stickball, & Yo-Yo's

They are far removed, via an ocean, from the primary continent and are hated by pretty much every other nation of humanoids.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Once my rogue met his first mimic he stabbed every treasure chest.of course he was professionally paranoid lol

Classic adventurer: meets one violent mimic, assumes all violent mimics. And of course they're violent when you introduce yourself by stabbing them.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Baidol wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    We robbed the train. We got the artefact.
    My contact was a traitor.

My dog got stabbed.

I received a mysterious note.

It was pretty harrowing

Did you shine some bright lights?

I asked about it, but there wasn't really anything to hand. As it was (spoilers because I dunno, it's a show, you could watch it maybe if you wanted):
    the train team did a pretty kickass job, got past one set of guards and used double dominate to get the other two guards to fight each other, then slipped past and grabbed the artefact (which was small enough to fit in a bag).

My strike team weren't actually needed in the end, but the numbers were enough that they were a good backup. I ended up going in with them on their cover robbery to get the guards (to protect my asset), which is how the dog got hurt. The twist was that my asset was using white phosphorous rounds, and is clearly aware of Vampires to some degree. He didn't seem hostile, so I just headed out of there to make my escape.

All round it was pretty successful, we got the thing we needed, some enemies got mooped and our group isn't associated with it. It just looks like a standard order robbery. My character is going to have a lot of questions though.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    random old idea that came back to me: ship salvaging in a high scifi ish setting where you're playing as the boarding crew trying to figure out what is worth while on it. Sometimes it's just getting an old ship to run enough to make it easier to tow, other times it's a space pirate trap, sometimes there's still people on that craft and space madness set in. And then the rare time, the untold horrors from beyond seeped into to our reality and have taken hold of the ship and you must fend off the nightmare, while still trying to at least break even.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Any idea that involves stripping the copper out of the walls is great. Games where the loot is various fancy baubles of variable weight and you gotta determine if you want the plasma generator made from the skull of an Umbral Troll, or three sticks of an old out of production space snak collector weirdos will pay for. Some days you find financial records that would destabilize multiple economies, other days existential threats to all life you gotta blow up good.

VRXwDW7.png
    but, if you blow it up, you can't strip out all the gold plating. let's not be hasty here.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    but, if you blow it up, you can't strip out all the gold plating. let's not be hasty here.

That's why you gotta blow it up good

i don't think the alignment of the explosion is going to matter when it is hot enough to burst through steal and hyper steal and therefore strong enough to utterly destroy the gold.

what if, instead, we go back to the near by station, hire those shifty looking mercs to come back with us, then while they are fighting the shapeless enemies, we ransack the place as best we can while auto piloting the craft into the near by sun?

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It’s full of horrific mind viruses, it’s gotta blow up good! The untold horrors from beyond put those gold seals on it for being too much for them.

VRXwDW7.png
    okay, okay, but what if, we still took the gold before we blew it up? we pay the mercs a quarter up front, and blow up the ship before they can get off. our payday will will worth the initial price. We still owe the Tricera Don like 40 thousand space dollars, and they are getting rather Leggy Breaky about it.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    the boys at SUSD did a good review again

and their introduction of the game perfectly captures the experience of playing the game, from my experience of playing it Once Ever

https://youtu.be/ignD6P7E3q0

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    His face in the preview thumbnail is all I need to know about that game I think.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    GoT is an old school, bloated mess.

I've still played it like, nearly ten times over the course of owning it though.

It's perfectly fine provided you're down for the entire time it'll take to get through it.
    random old idea that came back to me: ship salvaging in a high scifi ish setting where you're playing as the boarding crew trying to figure out what is worth while on it. Sometimes it's just getting an old ship to run enough to make it easier to tow, other times it's a space pirate trap, sometimes there's still people on that craft and space madness set in. And then the rare time, the untold horrors from beyond seeped into to our reality and have taken hold of the ship and you must fend off the nightmare, while still trying to at least break even.

I actually feel like Blades in the Dark would manage this real well. Also for inspiration: Deadnauts is a game about this sort of stuff but where you play as the commander in Aliens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hk2xx8DLI

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My major complaint is that due to the length of the game, and the amount of emotion and negotiation that is involved in the game, I feel it goes on for too long (In the review Quinns said nine rounds, but for some reason I thought it hard ended at seven) and I feel it should like end, two rounds earlier.

I’m not a fan of the GoT boardgame. Long, slow and bloated and no way to make or win as an alliance makes it a poor adaptation of the source material.

There are just other games that do it either better, quicker, or both.

I actually feel like Blades in the Dark would manage this real well. Also for inspiration: Deadnauts is a game about this sort of stuff but where you play as the commander in Aliens:

it is weird that i feel like blades is weirdly restrictive? maybe it's because i don't know it as well as some other systems, or i don't like assume you're all human systems very much, but iunno, blades is one of those systems that my brain never quite clicks with, and i am completely willing to admit it is just a me thing.

deadnauts however looks pretty cool.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Long, slow, bloated, might not finish. A perfect adaptation.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    it is weird that i feel like blades is weirdly restrictive? maybe it's because i don't know it as well as some other systems, or i don't like assume you're all human systems very much, but iunno, blades is one of those systems that my brain never quite clicks with, and i am completely willing to admit it is just a me thing.

I've found that with blades (and the watch) they have a tight structure so you can just mechanically go through the motions without being drawn into the fiction in the same way as other pbtas, imo.

Grog on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

I meant more in that the loose frame work of how it handles rolls/skills and expresses harm in a very down to earth and rugged way than the specific full system.

Definitely don't need it to be all human.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    it's a bit weird, yeah

narrative games give you a lot of freedom

you just don't have as much absurdly accessible and convenient magic in Blades

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    i do like magic.

I do like some of the gang mechanics and such as well in blades, but over all i don't think that system is for me. There are certainly things to be learned and taken from it though. i am still in a weird batting for genesys mode though, so there is clearly a bias.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

and their introduction of the game perfectly captures the experience of playing the game, from my experience of playing it Once Ever

I bought GoT for my flatmate a few years ago because he was into GoT and boardgames so hey why not. The first time we tried to play it took us an hour and a half just to set up the board. The second time the whole thing ground to a halt during the first round of sea combat and we never tried it again. It is a beautiful looking game, and the concepts are good, it's just slow.

Pathfinder is dumb. I made a straight 13th level Cavalier and on a charge I hit for like 3d8 + 115 damage.

What the hell.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

I bought GoT for my flatmate a few years ago because he was into GoT and boardgames so hey why not. The first time we tried to play it took us an hour and a half just to set up the board. The second time the whole thing ground to a halt during the first round of sea combat and we never tried it again. It is a beautiful looking game, and the concepts are good, it's just slow.

To be fair, that just means it is thematically consistent with the books.

Hiyo!

More hot takes tomorrow!

by hot takes to you mean the same joke someone else made several hours later?

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    More like Hot Pie takes

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    by hot takes to you mean the same joke someone else made several hours later?

You might call it a... double take?

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    that is an accurate description of hot takes, yes

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Speaking of long-ass games, the Shut Up and Sit Down folks are gonna be playing and streaming Twilight Imperium next weekend, I think.

shit, now i want pie.

and to scrap a space craft

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Pathfinder is dumb. I made a straight 13th level Cavalier and on a charge I hit for like 3d8 + 115 damage.

What the hell.

Did it kill the target in 1 hit? If it did then that isn't too far off from low level play as a fighter or other non-caster.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Someone was playing a Dwarf Barbarian once.

A discussion of how said barbarian just murdered things whenever the group encountered a problem broke out.

Dwarf replied "Every problem can be solved with violence. If it isn't solved yet, you just haven't murdered enough people."

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Me and some work friends just started Escape from the Underdark! It was entertaining, though they're all very new and I fear this will dissolve. Still, pretty good time. We killed a bunch of drow! We were very bad at looting!

I ate an engineer
    Caedwyr wrote: »

What the hell.

Did it kill the target in 1 hit? If it did then that isn't too far off from low level play as a fighter or other non-caster.

First session is in a week or so, I am just working on a build at the moment. My character can definitely one shot themself though.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    so I played Root, today

it's a good boardgame!

I'll be hard pressed to not play as the vagabond every chance I get, however

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

What the hell.

First session is in a week or so, I am just working on a build at the moment. My character can definitely one shot themself though.

That sounds about right then for a dps type. The casters are going to be 1 shotting singles or whole groups at that level, so dps types should be able to do about the same.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Does anyone have any good fancy elf names

My archaeologist character has a rival, and I've decided I want them to be a (relatively) young Elf who's decided he wants to take a "gap century" being a casual adventurer

For him this is all just a big fun thing he'll do until it gets boring, and my character can't stand him

I don't think he's actually evil in any respect, but he's definitely a condescending ass, and probably wants to put treasures in Elven museums instead of returning them to their people, like my character does

I want a name that's good to yell/say under your breath at a nemesis

Etchwarts on