As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I had gestational diabetes and so I knew I was going to be induced if I didn't deliver before the due date. It was just gonna happen.

So I made a deal with the OB that was overseeing me from the Diabetes clinic that I would go through 1 cycle of induction gel and if I hadn't gone into labour by that point I wanted a C-section.

I ended up getting a Csection cause after 2.5 days of being induced I was still only 2cm dilated.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I was researching websites designed with Three.js to demonstrate for a class I'm teaching on web design and 3d modeling and I came across on this gem, courtesy of the New Zealand Ministry of Education:

Oat the Goat

It's a really adorable story as part of an anti-bullying campaign, and they even got excellent voice acting and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra to play the music for it! Amazing! You guys should totally check it out.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    It took the threat of induction at the last minute to get our first two boys to finally decide to arrive. With Tiny Wonder and my wife's HG this last time, it was literally us begging the doctor to eject the little guy as soon as was medically feasible

Also, Tiny Wonder's needed held constantly as a newborn, and his 3 month sleep regression bled into his 4, and seeped over across to the 8-9-10 month regressions, to the point where now I'm pretty sure this child is maybe just a bad sleeper. White noise and stuffing him with solids before bedtime has no effect. High stimulation and socializing during the day has no effect. Waking him up early in the morning and regulating naps has no effect. The only thing that seems to have a *definite* effect is being pre-certain of his nightly outcome (i.e. if you were to actually plan to say fine then, we'll just be up until two, he will make sure to pass out at bedtime, and vice versa)

I'm someone who needs a decent chunk of sleep to function, and the idea of my sleep schedule being jerked around for x more months is starting to wear on me

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    My niece seems to just enjoy playing the same game on her iPad over and over- it's a Christmastime Flappy Bird knockoff game that she's absolutely obsessed with. We showed her how to play it sometime back in December, and nowadays she's hitting easily over 100 gates crossed all on her own. She still watches a lot of YouTube (mostly things like "A Shot of the Yaegars" where they have family adventures and things; it doesn't really look as bad as some of the stuff out there), but I wish she'd at least watch something with some meat to it, you know?

On the other hand, she also loves to come get me in the evening so she can read her books to me. I think our record for one session of reading is me listening to her read about 70 pages of a Dick and Jane collection over an hour (whereas my sister can't seem to get her to focus long enough to read much of anything), and we only stopped because she was exhausted tired. So I don't really mind that she watches that much, as long as it's stuff that's not going to really harm her as she grows up.

She's also just short of starting to understand stuff like multiplication and division as math goes, so whatever she's watching, I suppose it's not hurting her too much if she can still do things like that. She's also won an award naming her as an ambassador of her school, due to her being happy and social and willing to play with most anybody. I think she's going to be just fine.

EDIT: She just beat my high score on the game. I've managed 160-170 before my interest waned and I figured it would take her years to beat. Not five minutes ago, she burst in and showed me her score. 191.

I've created a monster. I don't know wether to cheer her on, find her another game, or take her to the local family fun center and let her loose on the Flappy Bird machines there for tickets...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Universal was a huge hit with my daughter, although busier than predicted. Fortunately being familiar with the park paid off and it didn't really affect our time much. Lots of hugs and thank you dad and I love yous, which is nice because at 11 I can see there's not much time left for those, so might as well soak them up while they're still coming. It's just so wonderful to see her excitement at new things, and how caring she is of other people. They had some Mardi Gras thing going on and she got a bunch of beads from the parade, which she proceeded to not only give out to other people that didn't have any but color-coordinated them as well, particularly in the case of two workers in Diagon Alley who were visibly moved by the gesture.

Plus I found a fitting throne that exemplifies the tone of my potential rulership:
    npa2rl74ntb6.jpg

Chiselphane on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I dunno man, over the river AND through the woods?

kind of a pain to get to gwamma's house

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I had to stop in to the school office anyway this morning, so I asked about % vaccinated. The admin said that with medical exemptions it's about 98%. I told her I know a bunch of people with kids living in Washington state and they're super mad right now, and she was like "yeah most of my family is in Washington, it's really bad. We're good though."

Made me feel a lot better, let me tell you.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Birthday party tomorrow.

a community hall with my tiny family and around 20 kids from Ellie's daycare.

Yes. 20. Twenty 2-3 year olds.

With pizza, sushi, cake, watermelon, potato chips, and a bouncy castle.

I am never doing another birthday party every again

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Birthday party tomorrow.

a community hall with my tiny family and around 20 kids from Ellie's daycare.

Yes. 20. Twenty 2-3 year olds.

With pizza, sushi, cake, watermelon, potato chips, and a bouncy castle.

I am never doing another birthday party every again

No matter how stressful the day is for you you'll look back at pictures of what a great time they're having and it'll be worth it

We did a house party with his nursery friends (about 20 of them including our friend's children) for his fourth and then decided "eff that noise" and just rented out a local soft-play centre for his fifth with his school friends (around 35 total).

They were both around the same for stress and planning hassle, but it was a lot nicer just to walk into a place and put some balloons up and then walk away again, instead of cleaning everything before and after

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    Last year I cooked and baked cake and everything.

This year we're ordering pizza, buying the cakes, ordering sushi, and cutting up veggies.

There's been a lot of personal anxiety leading up to this party, I'll be glad it's over.

Next year it's cake at her daycare and family for dinner.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Ellie's current accent combination of kiwi and American means that her "can't" changes the vowel sound enough that it sounds like that word that Peen just alluded to

That is just a kiwi accent though..

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    How do you get 2-3yo to eat sushi?

steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

In my experience: you don't

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Well it depends if you're trying sushi or sashimi. My daughters love cucumber rolls.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I can get my middle child to try at least one bite of anything by insisting that it's all mine and he can't have any

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    My daughter has started trying to feed me the food on her plate when she's done, which is kind of cute, but also a little annoying when I just want her to finish this hard boiled egg. Especially when I know I'm going to take her out of her high chair and she'll tell me shes hungry again.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kate will eat California rolls by tearing them apart and eating the rice and crab mixture. Occasionally she tries to eat the seaweed.

50433.png?1708759015
    Smrtnik wrote: »

By having them be a super common fast food option around here.

Ellie prefers the avocado rolls, but will also eat salmon and avocado, teriyaki chicken, and sometimes tamago. She even eats the seaweed.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    These past two weeks have consisted of my 7 year old daughter breaking her arm by falling off the swings at school and my 20-month old son getting a double ear infection and bronchulitis, which necessitated those albuterol breathing treatments. We bribe him with puppy videos on youtube. Now I'm sick because he's been coughing in my face for the past five days.

I need a vacation.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    There’s nothing like that feeling of impending doom when your sick child coughs in your face and some little tiny wet something ends up directly on your eyeball.

“Whelp. Better tell my boss i’ll be sick in one to three days.”

Cog on
    T minus one hour.

Help.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    You got this girl!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    We’re at the hospital now, and when they did the exam she was already 5cm dilated, which was good.

They’ve done the epidural though and she is just sleeping until there are 5 contractions every 10 minutes. She’s at 4 every 10 currently so she will be able to start pushing soon.

We did miss having her birthday be the same as my Gf, it would of been vday and birthdays all on the same day

Also good luck on the birthday party, 20 kids is definitely an undertaking.

Dixon on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Good luck!!! I hope everything goes smoothly!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    There’s nothing like that feeling of impending doom when your sick child coughs in your face and some little tiny wet something ends up directly on your eyeball.

“Whelp. Better tell my boss i’ll be sick in one to three days.”

Always, always, wear eye protection when handling hazardous materials.

We survived!

Only three slices of pizza remain, no sushi, and only a tiny slice of the rainbow Cake.

The kids had a great time and all is well.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Granted he's only one and not really old enough to have food preferences, but my boy LOVES sushi.

there's just something about handheld sticky rice that is appealing to the younger kids.

I am so sore and so tired.

AND WHO GIVES A THREE YEAR OLD A BOTTLE OF NAIL POLISH AS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!!!

And then another gift that she got was one of those little plastic carrying cases that had eyeshadow and lip gloss and things in it.

She's Three!!

(please, somebody tell that i'm wrong to be weirded out by this)

Wooo fully dilated. Just waiting for the doctor to finish with a patient and we’re getting started with the pushing.

You moms are deff tough stuff, so much effort over such a long period of time.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    there's just something about handheld sticky rice that is appealing to the younger kids.

AND WHO GIVES A THREE YEAR OLD A BOTTLE OF NAIL POLISH AS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!!!

And then another gift that she got was one of those little plastic carrying cases that had eyeshadow and lip gloss and things in it.

She's Three!!

I wouldn't at 3. But I did give nail polish and lip gloss to my daughter at 4 because she loves that kind of stuff.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    You’re not wrong, but it’s also quite common in the mom groups I used to be in to paint kids’ toenails for fun. I have painted my kids’ toenails and they’ve loved it; it’s fun and an exciting ‘grown up’ activity they can participate in.

One of Anya’s most talked-about outings is when I used my spa gift certificate on a mommy-and-me pedicure and facial session.

I have struggled with the makeup question for a while, though. I grew up not being permitted to wear any, and my mom even made me feel guilty about beauty-related products (I was once gifted an old-fashioned talcum-powder & puff set, and it seemed so movie-star and glamorous, but my mom made me feel horrid for using it), and I felt very ungirly and like make-up was only for beautiful people, not me. On the one hand it makes me uncomfortable to see makeup on young children, but on the other I don’t want my kids to feel there is anything inherently sexual/shameful/exclusive about makeup, which has a wide variety of uses. They think it’s super fun to dig around in my makeup box and rub my brushes over their skin, so I generally give them nude colors and lip gloss to play with.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think I'm drawing the line at pretty dresses for a good long time. Chaya loves pretty dresses and that's awesome. She can wear lipstick when she's 30. And no don't give my kid makeup when she's three. And definitely don't giver her something she will make a nightmare-scenario of a mess with like... any makeup. Or anything. Good fucking lord she can make a mess with anything.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Yeah.

I don't want it to be bad. But I don't want it to be now.

I don't know anything about makeup. I mean I kinda do, but not enough. And she's three. Can't makeup be next year's problem? Or a few more years? Why does she need to grow up so fast?

I'm all about body positivity and being proud of yourself and makeup making people happy about themselves. but she still refers to her fingers as "mommy, daddy, brother, sister, and baby." So maybe we can hold off on the decorating the body?

I dunno. It's complicated. I'm not sure how I feel, but I'm definitely not giving her the large bottle of purple mirror nail polish.

In other news, tonight I have completed another mom achievement.

I have eaten the leftover birthday cake while hiding it from the child.

I got cake all to myself and didn't need to share. Woohoo!

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Kees is older and has had his nails painted several times with cousins or friends, and as a younger brother Javi loves to emulate whatever Kees has does, but as he is only 3 can only usually be patient enough to get a couple painted before he wants to run off and play something else. Staying still long enough to have a whole hand painted would be torture as far as he is concerned.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burpette has discovered that poo jokes are hilarious

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular

She's Three!!

I don’t think you’re wrong about it. That’s usually better for closer to 5ish. I had a set like that when I was 5-6ish but it was strictly part of my costume dress up box, not something I could wear out and about.

Yeahhhh got a baby girl, unfortunately cause of inducing there is a small respitory issue, but apparently is very common and nothing to worry about.

They are gonna keep her for a couple hours, mom got to hold her and everything and after a bit of breakfast we’re gonna go see her again.

Baby

This discussion has been closed.