As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    If I ever needed categorical proof that I have SAD then today is it. The sun is properly shining for the first time in 2 months and I am just joyously happy. I feel like I'm on drugs.

It's 14°C and really sunny outside and I nearly didn't go back into the office after the break. It was just so nice outside. smells like spring.

FOOL'S SPRING

SECOND BREAKFAST!

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I have a bunch of thinking intensive work I need to get done today, so I turned off podcasts/music to focus on it, and I'm realizing how little in the past several years I've spent conscious in just quiet and it's making me physically shake.

Now I'll spend an hour trying to find background music which doesn't draw my thoughts -_-

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but I listen to this when I study all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHW1oY26kxQ

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Back in my old job when my misophonia was triggered frequently I had an hour-long thunderstorm sounds thing I listened to. Without it I couldn't have stayed at my desk.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I should use the SAD light I have more often. The winter months do get me down a bit.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I should use the SAD light I have more often. The winter months do get me down a bit.

You should! That's what it's for!

I would have thought it was something you could adapt to but I guess it can be genetic. I was surprised to learn my colleague in Alaska struggled with SAD because she'd been born there and never left.

Man, what a shit draw to be born in a dark place along with a genetic predisposition to hate it.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I have a bunch of thinking intensive work I need to get done today, so I turned off podcasts/music to focus on it, and I'm realizing how little in the past several years I've spent conscious in just quiet and it's making me physically shake.

Now I'll spend an hour trying to find background music which doesn't draw my thoughts -_-

https://mynoise.net/

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

You should! That's what it's for!

I would have thought it was something you could adapt to but I guess it can be genetic. I was surprised to learn my colleague in Alaska struggled with SAD because she'd been born there and never left.

Man, what a shit draw to be born in a dark place along with a genetic predisposition to hate it.

In evolutionary terms it's not been that long since we left Africa.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but I listen to this when I study all the time:

I didn't know about this before it was mentioned but I love it.

Thank you to whomever brought it up, as I'm too lazy to go back and find the post.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    related: I find southern Africa in winter extremely relaxing. Which I figured was mainly because it has a similar biome to my home state, but the 11 hours of bright sunlight every day might also be a factor.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    middle_latitudes.png

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

my-daughter-we-need-to-talk-its-good-that-youre-31617297.png

poo
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    potential customer: i want a fancy network for all my locations
    me: can you please be more specific so i don't over engineer your proposal, here is what i understand based upon what you just said please correct anything wrong assumptions
    me: okay here you go
    potential customer: WHY IS THIS SO EXPENSIVE?!? we only pay xyz for x location's services?!?!?
    me:...

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

my-daughter-we-need-to-talk-its-good-that-youre-31617297.png

Are you a sad anime boy?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PitKnxCcug

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I have five shifts unfilled today!

• Options
    Ugh I hate how I get so anxious before I do things. I've only been here 6 months so I feel bad going to my boss and being like "Yeah I want this job in this other department!" plus I already did it once. I just keep telling myself this is a better path for my life and also it helps that I just found out I am paid lower then everyone else in the department by a significant amount. Even the person who started a month before me.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    have a few drinks first, works wonders.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kadith wrote: »
    me: can you please be more specific so i don't over engineer your proposal, here is what i understand based upon what you just said please correct anything wrong assumptions
    potential customer: WHY IS THIS SO EXPENSIVE?!? we only pay xyz for x location's services?!?!?

Probably the best you can do with these situations is say:

"Well, since I didn't have anything to really work off, here are 3-4 sort of generic networks, from "bargain basement" to "super ultra fancy", along with the different prices. Let me know which is closest to what you're looking for, and we can work on tailoring it to your needs:"

That or give the potential customer a questionnaire so you can identify what they actually want before you give them a proposal...

Customers are the worst :(

El Skid on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »

Probably the best you can do with these situations is say:

"Well, since I didn't have anything to really work off, here are 3-4 sort of generic networks, from "bargain basement" to "super ultra fancy", along with the different prices. Let me know which is closest to what you're looking for, and we can work on tailoring it to your needs:"

That or give the potential customer a questionnaire so you can identify what they actually want before you give them a proposal...

Customers are the worst :(

Ahh but you see that implies they know what they want.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    You're a trend-setter

Then that sucks! The reason I'm closing instead of getting out at 1 is because she called in sick. So now I work from open-close today, tomorrow, and I work Saturday. At least we have Monday off.

Do they end up in the same boat when you call in? Is it "payback"?

Possibly payback, but no to the same boat situation. I'm the only one here working this Saturday. Instead of her getting out at 4:30 yesterday, she got out at 5. Now instead of me getting out at 1, I'm getting out at 5:30.

They called out again. Shas vacation days Tuesday and Wednesday coming up. So with the days she called in, the weekend, the holiday, and her vacation that makes 7 days off in a row. Obviously if she's sick then no harm no foul. We're super busy and I'm just grumpy.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    You're a trend-setter

Then that sucks! The reason I'm closing instead of getting out at 1 is because she called in sick. So now I work from open-close today, tomorrow, and I work Saturday. At least we have Monday off.

Possibly payback, but no to the same boat situation. I'm the only one here working this Saturday. Instead of her getting out at 4:30 yesterday, she got out at 5. Now instead of me getting out at 1, I'm getting out at 5:30.

They called out again. Shas vacation days Tuesday and Wednesday coming up. So with the days she called in, the weekend, the holiday, and her vacation that makes 7 days off in a row. Obviously if she's sick then no harm no foul. We're super busy and I'm just grumpy.

It's not exactly uncommon to use "sick" time as a way to pad vacation. But it's pretty shitty that it results in such a big and direct overtime burden for you.

• Options
    You're a trend-setter

It's not exactly uncommon to use "sick" time as a way to pad vacation. But it's pretty shitty that it results in such a big and direct overtime burden for you.

I had to get a sick note for calling in the day after the MLK holiday.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm in the office today despite having warned my boss (and sincerely believing) I was coming down with the bug that's hit several others. Surprise, I wake up this morning feeling fine. And while I had the perfect excuse, I just can't when I'm not. Besides, too much work to do...

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doctor's notes are a fucking poor tax.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I've worked places where they straight up won't pay holiday pay if you called out sick the scheduled work day before or after

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I have an ingrown toenail that I don't feel like dealing with.

If you wait long enough it will deal with you!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Something you can try to solve that and also XLSX files with far too large a size versus your content:

Select the column after the last column of content in your sheet, then hold Shift and tap End then tap right arrow. It should select all columns all the way out to something absurd like XFD or something. At this point right click on the column header area and Delete. Repeat this with rows.

Several pages old, but my work recently rolled out the new report templates. Now all word documents have a minimum file size of 1.5 MB for a blank document. This is because the company logos embedded in the document are about 1.2 MB in size. I've gone in and recompressed them down to a much nicer 200 KB and it still leaves a document that can be printed at report production standard levels.

As an aside, we've also had some recent corporate emails reminding people to not send unnecessary documents via email because apparently there has been a spike in bandwidth used for intra-company emails.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Something you can try to solve that and also XLSX files with far too large a size versus your content:

Select the column after the last column of content in your sheet, then hold Shift and tap End then tap right arrow. It should select all columns all the way out to something absurd like XFD or something. At this point right click on the column header area and Delete. Repeat this with rows.

Several pages old, but my work recently rolled out the new report templates. Now all word documents have a minimum file size of 1.5 MB for a blank document. This is because the company logos embedded in the document are about 1.2 MB in size. I've gone in and recompressed them down to a much nicer 200 KB and it still leaves a document that can be print at report production standard levels.

As an aside, we've also had some recent corporate emails reminding people to not send unnecessary documents via email because apparently there has been a spike in bandwidth used for intra-company emails.

:tell_me_more:

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

@TheStig How fix? Spoiled for gross I guess.
    So I already pealed the nail out(over a week ago), but there's this small fleshy bit that's growing over where the nail is. Also, it hurts.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

@TheStig How fix? Spoiled for gross I guess.
    So I already pealed the nail out(over a week ago), but there's this small fleshy bit that's growing over where the nail is. Also, it hurts.

See a podiatrist!

When I was a teen I'd try to deal with my own ingrown toenails all the time, they'd only end up infected and come back worse. I finally saw a podiatrist who clipped them properly and I haven't had an issue since

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    But that costs more money than hot water and Epsom salt!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    If it's not too advanced, I bet a GP could help you out

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad my toenails behave themselves, because if they ever went amok I would just be screwed. There's a deep down Catholic shame engine in me that would make it really hard to go to a professional adult and make them look at my grody toes.

I bet people who grew up around beaches don't have this problem.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm so glad my toenails behave themselves, because if they ever went amok I would just be screwed. There's a deep down Catholic shame engine in me that would make it really hard to go to a professional adult and make them look at my grody toes.

I bet people who grew up around beaches don't have this problem.

Correct.

Even Catholics close to beaches are unashamed of the toes on our otherwise shameful, misshapen husks.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I haven't had ingrown toenails since I got out of my Basic shit stompers. Only time in my life was those goddamn $8 military boots.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Ok. Going to urgent care Sunday morning to see what they can do. I think my copay is only like $25 anyway.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I haven't had ingrown toenails since I got out of my Basic shit stompers. Only time in my life was those goddamn $8 military boots.

the crazy thing about the shitty boots they gave us in navy basic is that like...they understand the value of good footwear, because they gave us good running shoes

but no, the boots you wear for twelve hours a day? here, have some garbage that destroys your feet!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    When I arrived at Army boot, I had good running shoes, because my dad had already been in for over ten years and picked them out for me.

They made me throw them away as "contraband", issued me a lien against my first Army paycheck, and made me buy shittier running shoes from the compound store.

Weaver on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I've worked places where they straight up won't pay holiday pay if you called out sick the scheduled work day before or after
    Shorty wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

the crazy thing about the shitty boots they gave us in navy basic is that like...they understand the value of good footwear, because they gave us good running shoes

but no, the boots you wear for twelve hours a day? here, have some garbage that destroys your feet!

Is that part of the whole "you need to get acclimated to suffering" thing, or...?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my first navy paycheck was for about twenty dollars

the other 1200 or so was for clothes, including the boots that gave every single person in my division blisters

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    my first navy paycheck was for about twenty dollars

the other 1200 or so was for clothes, including the boots that gave every single person in my division blisters

I had to have my ankle/shin lanced because of infection from blisters from those things!

I'm not trying to one-up Shorty the military is or at least used to be that shitty.

This discussion has been closed.