As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games you never finished

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Oh lordy, this thread. I don't know where to start, too many to list. Right now I'm attempting the Resident Evil series properly, never beat any of them outside of 4. SO I decided to install the GC remake of 1 on PC and I'm going to run through it.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Ways in how this never ends:

I didn't actually buy any games between the week before christmas (Yakuza 6) and last weekend. I had an extra day off and 2/3 days were mostly free.

So I check the steam thread, and see Wargroove. I had a discount, I buy it. And it's a game that I like the concept off, but I notice the star ranks and the S rank, and then that you can't skip the cutscenes on retries. And that one of the next patches is going to add a "skip cutscene." So after about 2 hours I think "Well maybe later."
    And I bought Starcrawlers. A really oldschool dungeon crawler, because someone was talking about it. And it's fun.... but also kinda slow. And a lot of the combat is really similar, executing the same order of attacks over and over. And I read in one of the threads about Voidship releasing.
    Then when I look it up, it's not even on the New Releases tab, you have to dive into it. And I use that as a justification for "well this purchase supports a small dev and it's only 9 bucks"

That game is also....fun concepts that don't quite come together. You build your own ship but it's such a ball of weapons that it just feels like a lightshow, and you're facing so many enemies you can't dodge or tactics much.
    And it has FTL style events but it has too little off them, so even in the first sector they start repeating.

So at the end of the weekend, I buy 3 interesting games with at least 1 flaw that in total I have no time to finish.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I just thought of a good one that I was recently ranting about: Final Fantasy X-2. So I bought this after loving 10,I also bought the strategy guide so I could get the secret ending. This guide was set up in a terrible fashion that required constantly flipping all over the guide to check stuff. At one point I missed a tiny little event, one the guide listed as counting for .5% of the stuff necessary for the secret ending. Well I said fuck that and quit. Never went back. No regrets though because that was some hot bullshit.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Funny thing is, I kind of think Final Fantasy X-2's regular ending works a lot better than its secret ending.

But it's possible I just think that because I'm not a Yuna/Tidus shipper.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Castlevania: order of ecclesia: I beat all the rest of the metroidvanias, and I loved OOE, but I just couldn’t push myself through Draculas castle.

Any game with a focus on tactics and character customization (xcom, Final Fantasy Tactics, the the Ogre tactics games) - I spend dozens of hours on doing fights and building my guys like I want them and never bother with the main story fights all the way to the end.

Skyrim, oblivion - similar problem. I just do enough main quest to unlock the main game features and then just fuck off and do side/guild quests until I get bored.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So many games start strong but then get kinda meh.

Persona 3,4,and 5 come to mind. I always get about halfway through and stop. FFT ive started countless times but hate how exp works. Breath of the Wild just didnt have enough big dungeons, and the shrines were just too small to be interesting. Horizon i never finished, but i was mostly content watching my wife do the story stuff while i did the boss fights on her playthrough. Bloodborne was just monster hunter with bad input lag. Tried witcher 1 and 2 and hates the combat so i didnt even bother with 3 since i only played the others for 10 minutes. Kinda the same with dragon age origins. I also bounced off FF15 pretty hard, but maybe ill give it another try, same for 12 if i can get the zodiac version. It seems like the longer something is the less likely i am to finish, eapecially if it’s just filler fetch quests and shit to artificially inflate the game length.

I think ive actually finished a lot of games, more likely that ill buy something and not play it though.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My Most Tragic Story:

I played 100+ hours of Skyrim, just played the hell out of it, and got right to the end and the last encounter, and my brother overwrote my save and I lost everything.

And I've still never beaten Skyrim!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter World.

A shame, considering it was the first game of the franchise that I got into. It's very rare for me to buy a "AAA" big budget release and not complete it.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I've never managed to finish 'Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones'. No matter how many times I've tried I just can't beat the last boss.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Somebody gave me Assassin's Creed Black Flag as a gift. I got to the 4th or 5th mission (AKA memory) and didn't care any more. A lot of my friends love this game, but it does nothing for me.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Remember Slave Zero? Never finished it.
    https://youtu.be/o3gkiNH_Bds

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    "Bought" and never finished? Far too many. "Started" and never finished? Significantly less.

The most egregious probably being The Last of Us.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've played the first 25 hours of Witcher 3 twice now. Put Red Dead 2 down, may get back to at some point, but the open world genre is really hard to pick up after you put it down. I didn't finish Horizon Zero Dawn, but that was pretty intentional, cool game, but at some point I feel like the game had shown me all it was going to show me.

The worst for me was Resident Evil 4, I played the first 10-15 hours of that game at least 4 times. Finally beat it on the Wii.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Bioshock 1 and Infinite are the two that I probably played the most before just losing any interest in.

Deadly Premonition is one I wish I could finish, but I kept running into technical issues, and then, in the course of looking up solutions for those issues, had the identity of the killer spoiled.

Destiny 2 I got real cheap in a bundle, and wasn't able to even make it through the opening cinematic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I went through my install list and tried to remember every I've started or restarted in the last 5 years or so. I've left out a few I started but didn't get far or played at a friend's, etc. But this is close to accurate.

Games I've started but left unfinished, and intend to finish someday:

Just Cause 3
    Doom
    Halo 5
    Arkham Knight (literally on the last boss but was going for 100%)
    Monster Hunter World
    Dark Souls 3
    God of War (2018)
    Hitman
    RDR2
    KOTOR1
    Alien Isolation
    AssCreed Syndicate
    DB Fighters
    Gears 4
    GTA 4
    Lego Worlds
    Mafia 3
    Metal Gear Solid 5
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    Soul Calibur 6
    Titanfall 2
    Watch Dogs 2
    Yooka Laylee
    Enter the Gungeon
    Pokemon Eevee
    Lego Marvel 2

And then there's games I've beaten once or more but started another playthrough:

Bioshock Infinite
    Resident Evil 4
    Halo ODST
    Crackdown 1
    Dead Rising 1
    Dead Space 1
    MegaMan/Sonic/Mario... A lot of them

And a whole lot of unstarted backlog:
    Kingdom Hearts 3
    RE2 Remake
    Just Cause 4
    Below
    Celeste
    Batman Telltale
    Dishonored 2

I'm never gonna get through all that, especially since I just play whatever's newest at the time. Right now I'm on Crackdown 3 and I did finish Spider-Man PS4 100% so those two are at least on the done/will be done pile.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also I just logged into steam after years of inactivity and people bought just about every game in my wish list for me, so suddenly I have a backlog there, too *shrug*

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I never finished Mass Effect Andromeda, I got to the final... what, 5-10 hours? then just kind of lost interest and drifted to something else. For a Mass Effect title that's pretty damning. One day I'll get around to firing it back up again, maybe this year come tax refund-> 2080Ti time rolls around and I want to start flexing on some older-but-still-recent titles.

I never finished Atelier Iris 3, I got to the last dungeon of the game and then burned out on some crafting item grind and never went back. It still kind of bugs me, but I really can't be bothered to spend the effort to dig out my ps2 and find a way to connect it to a computer monitor either.

I never finished Arkham City, even though I 100%ed Arkham Asylum. Every time I tried to go back to it I'm like "wait what was I doing? how do I combat again?", and eventually I just never went back at all.

Never did finish Fallout 4; got to where the game demanded I pick a side, but all of the choices were so un-compelling that I meandered around doing literally everything else in the game until I just burned myself out without ever finishing the main story.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've got alot of games I picked up and either haven't played much / at all, or got a ways into and didn't finish. Some of them I plan on going back to.

One however that stands out for me: FE Awakening. I was playing through it on hard mode (but w/out permadeath), and it was pretty fun. Until the very last mission, when I find out that because it's on hard mode I was "expected" to have power level grinded my guys out and now because Chrom isn't an ubersoldier he does 0 dmg to the end boss guy and I cannot beat the game. :(

Was my first FE game and because of that I haven't even tried any of the other FE games I own... bleh.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I've got alot of games I picked up and either haven't played much / at all, or got a ways into and didn't finish. Some of them I plan on going back to.

One however that stands out for me: FE Awakening. I was playing through it on hard mode (but w/out permadeath), and it was pretty fun. Until the very last mission, when I find out that because it's on hard mode I was "expected" to have power level grinded my guys out and now because Chrom isn't an ubersoldier he does 0 dmg to the end boss guy and I cannot beat the game. :(

Was my first FE game and because of that I haven't even tried any of the other FE games I own... bleh.

There should be ways to grind up the necessary levels on the side though? It shouldn't permanently prevent you from finishing.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

There should be ways to grind up the necessary levels on the side though? It shouldn't permanently prevent you from finishing.

Yeah I need to explore that and see if I can. I was just really pissed off at it.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Yeah I need to explore that and see if I can. I was just really pissed off at it.

There is a fairly cheap EXP DLC if you just want to race to the finish (although totally understandable if you don't want to pay just to finish the game faster). If not, I believe there's random battles or arenas to find somewhere in the world.

• Options
    ArcsurvivorArcsurvivor CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Action Henk & Headlander (Steam)- games are hard to play without a controller. Headlander - I believe a controller is required to play.

Hearthstone: (Wild and Arena)
    Currently Playing on Steam - Journey down Ch 3/ Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I have a playthrough of Earthbound from 20+ years ago that is sitting saved right before the Giygas fight. Never finished it.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    Despite making it like 90 hours into Persona 5, I just couldn't take any more.
    I realized I didn't really like any of the characters, and I was just playing to get through it.

I think I had a bigger tolerance for extreme repetition in high school, but I never even finished Persona 3 back then, either. *shrug

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    hemmelight wrote: »
    Despite making it like 90 hours into Persona 5, I just couldn't take any more.
    I realized I didn't really like any of the characters, and I was just playing to get through it.

I think I had a bigger tolerance for extreme repetition in high school, but I never even finished Persona 3 back then, either. *shrug

Atlus games are sort of notorious for most players not finishing them. Persona 5 felt like maybe one of the smoothest ones to play all the way through, but only around 35% of the accounts on PSN that've played the game have the achievement for seeing the ending.

I usually don't finish games (like, I think I finish maybe one in ten or twenty) and I also usually never think twice about it. Anyways the one game I never finished that kinda bugs me to this day is Brave Fencer Musashi for the PS1. I bought the game because of the FF8 demo mostly but found it to be a pretty fun, silly game. I played through to the last area and there was this room I could not for the life of me figure out how to get through. I tried so many times over the years. Still kinda upset about it.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Started Pillars of Eternity at least 3 times and was so annoyed by the combat that I gave it up each time. It was recently added to PSNow so started playing it there, threw it on easiest and while now it's admittedly too easy, at least am making progress and I like the writing so it's bearable. The incredibly frequent loading on the PS4 is a bummer though and I can't say it won't put this try to an end either.

Game I feel guiltiest about not finishing is Persona 5, for the same reasons Hemmelight stated above. The overall story seems like it'd be worth completing, it's just too long and repetitious for me to get there.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I never finished Final Fantasy XV and I deeply regret that because I honestly loved it and just reached a point where I had to put it down for a while. That's been so long ago that there's really no way I could pick it up again and remember everything that's going on and / or how to play. So that means starting over from the beginning, really, and that's .... just fucking daunting.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I've never finished a Grand Theft Auto game. They're interesting until I find anything else to play and then I never have a desire to return to them.

I've not finished any recent Zelda games. Open world is an excuse to have shitty writing but in Zelda the writing was fine... it was just very dragged out. I'm an adult and don't have time to slowly be introduced to "bombs" "boomerang" "bow" "hookshot". Give me gameplay please.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The main downside is that ME2 has some of its best content in the DLC (though not as badly as ME3 does...) and the DLC is still expensive, rarely on sale and not in any kind of GOTY or trilogy pack.

I don't know if it's the case on consoles, but on Origin anyway they've finally bundled all the DLC together for ME2 and ME3 for a decent price.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I have collected all of GTA from the beginning, but I haven't finished any of them. I can't get into the criminal mentality.

Apparently, the XBox trilogy of the early games are seen as the best version of them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I never beat Red Dead Redemption because I hit a point where there was a god damned mountain lion behind every fucking rock.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Remember Slave Zero? Never finished it.

Slave Zero is a hilariously egregious example of this for me, because over the course of my life I think I've started that game like 15 times. I actually bought it on Steam when it was released there because I thought "hey I never actually beat this! And you can be a big stompy robot that throws cars at other robots. I'm still all about that. Let's finish this, child-me!"

And then I abandoned it because there was an annoying crash bug.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I had a zen-like moment in my mid-twenties where I decided I didn’t owe my entertainment more time than I wished, so I’ve beat a lot of last bosses/final levels, but I don’t think I’ve got 100% (or 254% on those games that do that) on any game in years.

I don’t need to beat Greed with every character in Binding of Isaac, I did it with five already.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    This is the thread for the old games you bought and never finished.

We will try to find out it they were actually good or not.

Here is a game that I never finished. It was called Legendary. It was a first person shooter about a burglar that stole and opened Pandora's Box.

https://youtu.be/0WTFKBL5Pt8

Legendary was so bad, with the worst of it being the literally ankle-high walls your character couldn’t step over.

No, wait. It was the physics bug on the elevator on the way to the final boss fight where you would clip through the floor and die if your computer was too powerful. The solution was to spin around as fast as you could move the mouse, firing constantly, to try to kill your frame rate so you could get all the way to the top.

For me, too many to count - I give myself permission to, at any point, decide that a game just isn’t working for me and take it off my backlog, at least if I paid less than ten bucks for it - but two big ones recently were The Last of Us, which was honestly just too grim and violent for me to enjoy, and Mass Effect Andromeda for no particular reason.

After I finally got to the point where I got my own ship and got sent off to the first planet to investigate , I realized that I had been playing for five nights and sighing in relief whenever I got to a stopping point where I could put down the controller and quit. That was my sign that it wasn’t going to be for me.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Divinity original sin is probably my most recent. The combat is too fiddly and hard. I thought, hey maybe I'll get into the story, after about ten hours I switched the combat to adventure mode or whatever, then died hard against some plants. I was like nope

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I had a zen-like moment in my mid-twenties where I decided I didn’t owe my entertainment more time than I wished, so I’ve beat a lot of last bosses/final levels, but I don’t think I’ve got 100% (or 254% on those games that do that) on any game in years.

I don’t need to beat Greed with every character in Binding of Isaac, I did it with five already.

imo 100% is "I finished the last level/area of the game"

Anything above and beyond that, like cheevos, can go die in a dumpster fire and I reserve the right to view them with retch-filled disdain.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Divinity original sin is probably my most recent. The combat is too fiddly and hard. I thought, hey maybe I'll get into the story, after about ten hours I switched the combat to adventure mode or whatever, then died hard against some plants. I was like nope

I just finished earning the Platinum in Divinity on the PS4 and it is a very different game from modern RPGs. Very old school. The combat is actually not that bad if you know what you are doing ahead of time. I used a character build guide.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I never did manage to finish any of the infinity engine games despite loving them. Reroll syndrome is rough.

Oh and I've never finished a Final Fantasy game. They just never struck the chord that Chrono Trigger/Xenoblade/Twewy/Radiant Historia did.