As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I only buy PC games now if I see a sale that isn’t beaten online, and just add the key to install digitally. There’s usually so many patches I find it easier than using the disks.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I can't help but think of people stuck with terribly slow connections (e.g. Santa Claustrophobia ) and what a crapshoot it must be buying physical PC games if they choose to do so.

Such shame that I'm that guy.

I don't buy physical PC games anymore. I'm not sure what was the last physical PC game I ever bought. The Movies, maybe.

Just saying, there's options. Sometimes.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I can't help but think of people stuck with terribly slow connections (e.g. Santa Claustrophobia ) and what a crapshoot it must be buying physical PC games if they choose to do so.

I don't buy physical PC games anymore. I'm not sure what was the last physical PC game I ever bought. The Movies, maybe.

Now you've just reminded me that The Movies is not digitally anywhere. I have an urgent need to film crappy sequels just to barely turn a profit.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Now you've just reminded me that The Movies is not digitally anywhere. I have an urgent need to film crappy sequels just to barely turn a profit.

Hollywood Movie Studio (AKA Hollywood Mogul 3) was made completely free by the creator a little while back. It's mostly text based (graphics are mainly background images, etc) but it's about the only game I've ever played that scratched that movie mogul itch.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    This guy went to different publishers and was told, "you can't do it without us," so he did it without them.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/433550/DARQ/

Looks pretty dope

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I get it. My situation was mostly that my PC was always too far behind to really get into games in general. So I essentially gravitated toward consoles as a primary platform. I still mainly think that way, too. Cross platform releases mainly depend on which one is better suited for it or just a whim. (Tropico really is better suited for PCs, but (at least up to 4) are chill enough to deal with console controllers.)

I didn't have a worthwhile PC until a few years ago. I just found myself in a situation where the download speed is warmed over death. By that point, I just sort of settled in with Steam. Any physical PC games I could probably buy are likely to be games I generally wouldn't play or wouldn't play on the PC. Such is life.

I am looking to improve my lot by the end of the year, though. So it shouldn't always be like this.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Geez I haven't thought about The Movies in forever. I really liked that game.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I've still got a boxed copy of it. No idea how I'd get it running on Win10 though and I kinda don't care to. I had my fun with it but the sheer volume of movies you need to pump out towards the end of game forced you away from spending a lot of time in the movie creative side of things.

Definitely would go a modern sequel though

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Now that the (entirely justified) outrage is dying down a bit, I wanted to go back and signal boost this:
    Brolo wrote: »
    Arcade Spirits, a romantic visual novel, follows an alternate timeline set in the year 20XX where the 1983 video game crash never occurred. After a turbulent work history, you are granted employment at the Funplex, a popular arcade, home to a host of unique personalities and customers. Where will this new-found employment take you? Who will you meet along the way? Will you find the romance you're seeking?

Design your own character from the ground up - pronoun, hairstyle, skin tone, hair color, eye color and more are completely customizable and are reflected throughout the game in both gameplay and artwork!

With roleplaying-based choices, you will be able to grow your personality and relationships in any way you desire; Friendship, Platonic or something more intimate! Work hard and build the relationship you desire with a total of seven romanceable characters!

The Identity Identifier System, or IRIS, can track your relationship statuses with all characters throughout Arcade Spirits as well as your personality traits, from Quirky, Steady, and Kindly, to Gutsy and Basically.

Everything you choose in Arcade Spirits, from your relationships to your personality, your crisis management moments, and a myriad other decision will have an effect on the future of your arcade!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/910630/Arcade_Spirits/
    Feb 12 - Arcade Spirits

The lead dev is a friend of mine, and I can attest that this is truly a labor of love. If you have any interest in arcades and/or spirits visual novels, check this one out.

signature.png

Bump! Get in on this, folks!

@cB557 wins! Time for some neon-soaked, retro arcade dating!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I just this week was able to upgrade to 10mbs. I would download games to a external HDD at work if it was anything beyond a gb or 2. Ive yet to test out a large download, but figure most games should be obtainable overnight.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So FNG turnout was...not great. Secret Hitler just doesn't have the facist sex appeal of yesteryear. Alas, but we gave it a chance.

Instead @Pimsy brought up the game ibb&obb which is a cute coop platformer. We played a number of levels and puzzled things out and generally had fun.
    uhrav1s5dhjp.png

0B59610F7E0D607824C365139494A13D1422ACCB

BB4FE086BF8B55F14D2D2C242BF4B6CF8E056281

Reminder: The Division long campaign continues tomorrow at 4 pm PST for SaNG

Huh, Evma pointed out that I do have The Movies in my steam account. I know it played it but all it's showing is the purchase date of 8/14/2007

Karoz on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Gears' file size ballooned due to multiplayer content. They added a ton of new maps and characters to an already large game.

IIRC, the 4K textures dont download unless you're on an X.

Blimey. I dread to think what the install size is on an X, then.

It seems crazy that a game like Gears could come anywhere near that size anyway.

According to my friend who has a non-X everyone got to download Gears patches regardless.

I just this week was able to upgrade to 10mbs. I would download games to a external HDD at work if it was anything beyond a gb or 2. Ive yet to test out a large download, but figure most games should be obtainable overnight.

10 Megabits/second should get you 1GB of data in about 13-14 minutes.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

I get it. My situation was mostly that my PC was always too far behind to really get into games in general. So I essentially gravitated toward consoles as a primary platform. I still mainly think that way, too. Cross platform releases mainly depend on which one is better suited for it or just a whim. (Tropico really is better suited for PCs, but (at least up to 4) are chill enough to deal with console controllers.)

I didn't have a worthwhile PC until a few years ago. I just found myself in a situation where the download speed is warmed over death. By that point, I just sort of settled in with Steam. Any physical PC games I could probably buy are likely to be games I generally wouldn't play or wouldn't play on the PC. Such is life.

I am looking to improve my lot by the end of the year, though. So it shouldn't always be like this.

I hope you manage to. Best of luck to you.

I was in a similar spot with PCs for the majority of the time I've had them; as they fell behind and upgrades were no longer tenable, I wasn't in positions to sort that out. It's one of the reasons I ended up moving more to consoles myself with the original Xbox, as in the heady days of 2001 it provided an alternative home for quite a few of what would have been PC exclusive games at the time. It was the only way I could economically play Morrowind back then, for example, a game that would never and could never have come out for any other console back then; and as it turned out I liked a huge amount of what the Xbox in particular had to offer. Although I'd had various consoles for a long time by then, they'd always been secondary to the PCs (and earlier computers) up to that point. I still dipped my toe in PC games here and there over the next few years, started on Steam in 2009 and started posting in this thread a little (where, given recent concerns, I am compelled to point out that I was always made to feel welcome). Over the last few years I've been rebalancing where consoles and the PC fit in my gaming life once again, with the PC managing to slowly move back into centre stage, but there is still definitely room for both. Just a case of allowing them to scratch the different itches that they do.

Sorry, that turned into a ramblier screed than I'd intended.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I have seen.... works... . catering to..... audiences. ... made with that game. I'm surprised it has not returned.

Between sfm and digital distribution, there's opportunities there.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    iy9gihz3okc6.png

@JaysonFour took some terrible advice from chat, and this happened.

Never listen to chat. Ever.

Thanks for Foxtail! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Rainbow 6 is free this weekend so I tried it out. The online community seems toxic so far. I need to figure out how to mute all players before the matches begin.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Rainbow 6 is free this weekend so I tried it out. The online community seems toxic so far. I need to figure out how to mute all players before the matches begin.

I decided a while back that I was going to quit playing competitive multiplayer games with pubs. Now I get all of my multiplayer gaming in either in co-op or in a group with people I know. This decision wasn't based on 'toxic behavior' (moreso because I am too old and too busy to ever be a threat to the modern 14 year old headshot demon who is all hopped up on Mountain Dew and Adderall that comprises a significant chunk of a modern competitive action shooter playerbase), but I'd recommend anyone who isn't thrilled with shithead players to give it a shot for a while and see how much fun it is to play multiplayer games without them.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I tried it too. It’s not for me.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I just stick with games where there's other ways to contribute. Like being a medic in battlefield, also if you suck in battlefield nobody notices or cares

Greatest moment of bad company 2 multiplayer was my squad attacking a checkpoint map uphill against entrenched defenders.

I do not know how we held that rock, but it was near constant kit switching to toss radar grenades, ammo boxes, med kits, and rez eveyone.

It was a storm of bullets and gameplay.

edited February 2019
    So trying to bring attention to small games that could use some extra attention and I give you Smoke and Sacrifice

s1zc3jyit1ps.jpg

I've only played a couple hours but it's like an adventurous, story-driven Don't Starve with more solid combat, easier crafting, but no base building or needing to eat/keep up your sanity other than for health. It uses save points and won't hesitate to kick you back to your last one if you screw up so, so be sure to save often and be careful when you go exploring.

Quick plot synopsis: You're a mother who gives up her son to the Sun Priest for your tribes Right of the Firstborn which powers the Sun Trees that provides warmth to your lands. You do not take this well, but the ellusive Tinkerer provides hope that your son may not truly be lost and gives you a mysterious pendant. Tearfully, you return to the fields, encouraged to breed and multiply, your sacrifice already given.

Many years later, the Branches of the Sun Tree begin to fail and monsters from the cold wastes invade. With the Sun Priests nowhere to be found, you journey to their temple, only to be whisked away to the underworld, where strange creatures roam and the Smoke creeps in to choke life of the unprotected while sapping the will of those who cling to what little light that can repel the encroaching miasma.

I received a free copy from Twitch Prime and I've really dig it so far. I'll be sure to give a full review once I've beaten the game.

Karoz on
    3kl9v0m8le3p.png

@JaysonFour sent me a pink haired pirate gunner for Hero Siege. Woo!

Thanks! <3<3<3

Also, if you haven't played Hero Siege yet, go check it out. It's lots of fun!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Working my way through another pile of backlog games today.

LaserCat reminds me a lot of VVVVVV with its design. It's running around the castle of a magical space frog as a cat made of laser while trying to find 30 keys to rescue your friend, who is an owl made of laser. I'm retiring it, mostly because it's not really my thing, but if you're looking for a quick hit of something VVVVVV-like, it's only a buck and might give you the fix you need!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Welp, the cat came back. Or was always there.

Something.

Darn cat.
    wpfwxfjd6obp.png

Thanks @JaysonFour for Monster Prom and the Second Term DLC!

One of the DLC character is a lot like my avatar so it definitely had piqued my interest.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Enter The Gungeon

is

SO GOOD!

and I wanted to thank @Berylline again for gifting it to me <3

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    And unlike a lot of other games, it has an ending and the devs have already said they're wrapping up dev on it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh cool one of the new Civ 6 leaders is someone who one of my nieces was partially named after. I hadn't been paying attention to the details of the expansion.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    And now @HiT BiT has hit me in the bits!

Unprovoked!

With Battle Chef Brigade

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thank you so much!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You don't even have to be in chat. You have to have been in chat at some point. I was saying before I left chat that CrossCode was going to be my reward for completing some other games.
    rwl7wjfpw3jo.png

There is monsteriness afoot! Thank you @JaysonFour <3

Also @Karoz cannot be trusted. Don'tbelievehislies.jpg

• CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    What the hell did they do to the Explore feature on Steam? My customization filters aren't working anymore & now it shows me nothing but crap $0.50-$7.00 games. All Indie games. The majority of which don't even have enough reviews to have a rating.

I can never find new games this way. Aggravating.

76561197967491341.png
    Finished main campaign to Rebel Galaxy.

Got a dreadnaught

debating how much effort I want to put into hunting down pirate lords for an achievement.

Final wealth, 87,528,203

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

Now your free to be enslaved in other games :P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Heatwave wrote: »

Now your free to be enslaved in other games :P

Oh hell no.

I still have sooooo many ideas for things to build in Conan.

And instead of using the Keystone to end the game and delete my character, I traded it to a Skelos Collector (yay mods!) to whom I can trade more things and collect new artifacts.

The game will go on.......

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Reminds me of my temptation to stay and keep playing Subnautica, even after I'd built the rocket. I mean heck, I'm cured now, and this planet isn't so bad with what I've gathered and built...

Reminds me of my temptation to stay and keep playing Subnautica, even after I'd built the rocket. I mean heck, I'm cured now, and this planet isn't so bad with what I've gathered and built...

It's not like it costs you anything.

Dammit! Why did i eat the poisonous berries right after i witnessed two different guys walk up and die from gut poison.

I stripped everything off, removed the medallion, and took one hex step.

I saw it and died of bloodloss before it reached. Im sure it was very confused

#neoscavenger

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dammit! Why did i eat the poisonous berries right after i witnessed two different guys walk up and die from gut poison.

I stripped everything off, removed the medallion, and took one hex step.

I saw it and died of bloodloss before it reached. Im sure it was very confused

#neoscavenger

Speaking of which, the guy who made Neo Scavenger is coming out with a new title this year, which will basically be a sci-fi ship crew management game set in the same universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDUn08QFhNs

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022980/Ostranauts/
    Ostranauts is a detailed simulation of owning and living aboard a spaceship, in a solar system where honest living is a slow death sentence. Set in the NEO Scavenger universe, where Earth has suffered cataclysmic collapse, the rest of the System lives on in a state of capitalistic dystopia.

Players will create their captain, build or customize their starting ship from the spoils of their career history, and find ways to keep their motley crew in line, fuel in their tanks, food on their plates, and the debt collectors at bay.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Shiny.

This discussion has been closed.