As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Started watching breaking bad for the first time and wow this show just hits all cylinders from the very beginning.

Be careful when watching Breaking Bad. Its going to make you want breakfast

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I didn't think I had a reason to resubscribe to Prime until Good Omens was aired

Forgot American Gods was still going

https://twitter.c om/AmGodsIntl/status/1093915227832442881?s=19

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hell yeah. I didn't like the idea of subbing to a channel for one show, but now that it's on Prime I can watch it diligently.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I didn't think I had a reason to resubscribe to Prime until Good Omens was aired

Forgot American Gods was still going

The stories coming out about the season 2 production are not encouraging. Script trouble, budget issues (they were going to do 10 episodes but they knocked it down to 8 again), multiple showrunners, actors not happy with their lines, etc.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought that was on Starz or whatever, now it's a Prime show? Or is that only in certain markets?

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Wait, I thought that was on Starz or whatever, now it's a Prime show? Or is that only in certain markets?

Starz in the US, and Prime like everywhere else. That's why it's the American Gods Intl twitter, I assume.

And yeah, all the stories coming out of S2 production make it sound like it's gonna be a total shitshow, but fuck it I'm in regardless.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I finished Travelers. A good ending to the series even though they didn't know it would end.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Marathoning Married With Children on Hulu after cashing in on that Black Friday deal. The last time I saw the series was several years ago when Hulu still had their free plan and the show was using that godawful royalty-free song because the Sinatra estate was being assholes about the Love and Marriage theme. There are more seasons in the show than I remember there being at the time? They must not have had the whole series back then.

Anyway, I like Steve a good amount but man, Ted McGinley slipped into that role as Jefferson like a puzzle piece you never realized was missing from the show.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Marathoning Married With Children on Hulu after cashing in on that Black Friday deal. The last time I saw the series was several years ago when Hulu still had their free plan and the show was using that godawful royalty-free song because the Sinatra estate was being assholes about the Love and Marriage theme. There are more seasons in the show than I remember there being at the time? They must not have had the whole series back then.

Anyway, I like Steve a good amount but man, Ted McGinley slipped into that role as Jefferson like a puzzle piece you never realized was missing from the show.

That brings back memoeries

13 year old me loved the shit out of that show

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Russian Doll has very possibly supplanted Bojack as my favorite thing Netflix has done. I don't know, it's close. What a brilliant show.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Russian Doll and Bojack are both brilliant in ways that make it difficult to directly compare them. Bojack is amazing as serialized storytelling that's pretty direct and unambiguous, while Doll is an amazing really long movie that makes you wonder about what happened and what it all means.

I just realized I really want Natasha Lyonne to appear on Bojack.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Re: Married... With Children

My strongest memory of that show is "... my name is Marcy Darcy?!" I still giggle when I think about it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Russian Doll and Bojack are both brilliant in ways that make it difficult to directly compare them. Bojack is amazing as serialized storytelling that's pretty direct and unambiguous, while Doll is an amazing really long movie that makes you wonder about what happened and what it all means.

Natasha Lion
    Put her next to Marie Condor

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kadoken wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Natasha Lion
    Put her next to Marie Condor

But have them be squirrels for no reason.
    Edit: have we had a squirrel on Bojack yet?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Well they definitely have squirrel people, there is one playing the lead in Nutty Ex Squirrel Friend
    8tl1psypearu.jpeg

Evermourn on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I watched this sporadically when I was younger cause people actually channel surfed back then. And it wasn't until I wikipediaed the show that I remember that Steve even existed.

Jefferson or bust.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I finished off Ozark yesterday. It's pretty solid but in no way does it want a third series. That should have been an end.

I sort of wish it focused more on the detail of money laundering. It had an early episode where they did just that and it was most entertaining

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's just like with Mama's Family there were Vinton's kids in the first two seasons, but they were replaced with far superior Bubba, or how Hogan Family was originally about Valerie Harper and not Sandy Duncan.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So.... Shannara Chronicles started off super cool. Elf Princess defying norms and being a strong warrior and whatnot. And then, not even three episodes in, she's basically turned into a complete different character. Running away from everything, has to be saved multiple times by the village boy who is the true Chosen One (tm), saved by the wise wizard man, talked down to by everyone, etc.

Setting and story seem fun enough, but I'm not really interested in continuing if this is the direction they're going with the princess. Does it get better?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    You dare say that to my face?
    Well I'd say it behind your back but my car's only got half a tank of gas!

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    kime wrote: »
    So.... Shannara Chronicles started off super cool. Elf Princess defying norms and being a strong warrior and whatnot. And then, not even three episodes in, she's basically turned into a complete different character. Running away from everything, has to be saved multiple times by the village boy who is the true Chosen One (tm), saved by the wise wizard man, talked down to by everyone, etc.

Setting and story seem fun enough, but I'm not really interested in continuing if this is the direction they're going with the princess. Does it get better?

End season spoiler:
    She becomes a tree.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

End season spoiler:
    She becomes a tree.

.....huh
    That doesn't sound better :lol:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

End season spoiler:
    She becomes a tree.
    So she got David the Gnome'd?

Hello me old chums!

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

End season spoiler:
    She becomes a tree.

.....huh

I haven't seen the show but in the Shannara world an
    Elf becoming a Tree
    is normally a big world saving thing.

Shannara book spoilers I guess?
    Elves hold back a void dimension filled with demons by turning into a tree. Those demons canonically can and will end all life and have destroyed civilizations before including
    Ours, the collapse of which and the breakdown of technology led to the resurgence of magic and the aforementioned elves turning into trees

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

End season spoiler:
    She becomes a tree.

.....huh

I haven't seen the show but in the Shannara world an
    Elf becoming a Tree
    is normally a big world saving thing.

Shannara book spoilers I guess?
    Elves hold back a void dimension filled with demons by turning into a tree. Those demons canonically can and will end all life and have destroyed civilizations before including
    Ours, the collapse of which and the breakdown of technology led to the resurgence of magic and the aforementioned elves turning into trees
    It's true. It is a very nice tree.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I finished off Ozark yesterday. It's pretty solid but in no way does it want a third series. That should have been an end.

I sort of wish it focused more on the detail of money laundering. It had an early episode where they did just that and it was most entertaining

For me it suffers from too many characters being too stupid to live but they do anyway because the plot demands it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Shannara was an utter bomb for me. It represents my generational Harry Potter, and I ate the the first book set alive when I was a wee lad. Watching MTV butcher it was just not worth it.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Shannara was an utter bomb for me. It represents my generational Harry Potter, and I ate the the first book set alive when I was a wee lad. Watching MTV butcher it was just not worth it.

I've only started the first book, but I really enjoyed the show. The switch between networks from MTV to Spike left it in a weird place tone wise though.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So Umbrella Academy is up. Has anyone watched it yet? Impressions?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Super good.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I’m digging it so far. Just started episode 2.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Just finished it (sick day), its as good, if not better than, the first season of Heroes. Its got good action, tense drama, heart wrenching moving moments, and straight up WTFun comic book logic that asks you to put your scientific knowledge on the back burner for a bit while they present their wonderful fucked up "mutants" and "What if..." giant sized plot holes that are entertaining to ignore as many of the actors bring down the house with their performances.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I think I will have to make a thread for the Dragon Prince.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm halfway through Umbrella Academy and I like the sense of mystery and weirdness. It's not quite True Detective or Twin Peaks level of extremely hooking mystery and weirdness but it's very fun.

Also Tom Hopper is CRAZY jacked. Like, what?

edit: finished the first season. Pacing was super weird and plot is lol but the characters are VERY well played. Seriously, worth it for the acting quality alone

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

That this is back is why I haven't started Umbrella Academy yet.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I just finished watching Umbrella Academy. It's good, it's sometimes really good!

https://youtu.be/0DAmWHxeoKw

But sometimes it's bad, and then it is really bad. Rarely we can find a series that is so uneven, which is a shame, because good parts of it are a reason enough to watch this series anyway... but are dimnished by various plot holes, inconsistencies and extremely questionable choices made by it's creators.

Is anyone going to create a thread for it? Im not sure if I should write my spoilers here.

Asthariel on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

That this is back is why I haven't started Umbrella Academy yet.

This is an insufficient amount of Dragon Prince. I need 3rd season , stat

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I just finished watching Umbrella Academy. It's good, it's sometimes really good!

But sometimes it's bad, and then it is really bad. Rarely we can find a series that is so uneven, which is a shame, because good parts of it are a reason enough to watch this series anyway... but are dimnished by various plot holes, inconsistencies and extremely questionable choices made by it's creators.

Is anyone going to create a thread for it? Im not sure if I should write my spoilers here.

Is it bad in ways that are stupid and dumb, or bad because it’s an unrealistic superhero show?

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular

Is it bad in ways that are stupid and dumb, or bad because it’s an unrealistic superhero show?

Being unrealistic superhero show was something I watched it for, so it is not the issue. It's quirkiness, black humour and balancing seriousness and comedy are actually good here.

But there is a lot of filler, plot points that are not really needed / don't really make sense when you think about them, and generally there is a lot of wasted potential.

On the other hand, I definitely enjoyed the characters and their relations with each other.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Velvet Buzzsaw was good! As usual though with nearly every netflix show (all tv?), the ending did not satisfy me.

I liked following around all the art people. I know they were probably caricatures of actual art people, but they were fun fleshed out folks.

• Options

Being unrealistic superhero show was something I watched it for, so it is not the issue. It's quirkiness, black humour and balancing seriousness and comedy are actually good here.

But there is a lot of filler, plot points that are not really needed / don't really make sense when you think about them, and generally there is a lot of wasted potential.

On the other hand, I definitely enjoyed the characters and their relations with each other.

Sounds like basic Netflix bloat? I can deal with that.

This discussion has been closed.