As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    the adamantoise flies like gamera

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    well yeah obviously, how else would a turtle fly

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    I bought it for the features, yes

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I think I need a new goal. Unlocking Paladin was my initial drive, followed by getting to 50 so I'll be ready to unlock Gunbreaker. But since Gunbreaker isn't around for months yet, and Paladin is just kind of a placeholder, I can feel my enthusiasm for the next 20 levels waning a bit. Assuming I stay fairly focused on story missions, and whatever other level-appropriate quests are around where story missions happen, how long do you think the push to 50 will take? And are there any other interesting content or region unlocks in the near future? I'm at the level 24 story mission "Ratting It Out", and currently level 30.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hyur
    I think I need a new goal. Unlocking Paladin was my initial drive, followed by getting to 50 so I'll be ready to unlock Gunbreaker. But since Gunbreaker isn't around for months yet, and Paladin is just kind of a placeholder, I can feel my enthusiasm for the next 20 levels waning a bit. Assuming I stay fairly focused on story missions, and whatever other level-appropriate quests are around where story missions happen, how long do you think the push to 50 will take? And are there any other interesting content or region unlocks in the near future? I'm at the level 24 story mission "Ratting It Out", and currently level 30.

Pretty sure you can hit 50 just from the MSQ alone at this point, you'll be 53-54 before you end start HW stuff.

Have they said if Gunbreaker will need a minimum MSQ progress? I know SAM and RDM were somewhat easier on that than the HW classes, but gunblades are very specifically Garlean so it may not make sense until at least post ARR.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Hyur
    Polaritie wrote: »

Pretty sure you can hit 50 just from the MSQ alone at this point, you'll be 53-54 before you end start HW stuff.

Have they said if Gunbreaker will need a minimum MSQ progress? I know SAM and RDM were somewhat easier on that than the HW classes, but gunblades are very specifically Garlean so it may not make sense until at least post ARR.

I haven't seen anything, so I'm planning to take the story as far as I can just to be safe. But I've got months, so it doesn't feel like there's any need to rush.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Roegadyn
    Don’t underestimate how much of the msq there is, it might take you those months

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Au Ra
    Theres a hundred quests exactly between the 1-50 msq and heavensward

Hyur
    Whippy wrote: »
    Don’t underestimate how much of the msq there is, it might take you those months

Oof, yeah - the level 50 2.0-2.55 content is a long haul. You beat the main ARR story arc and then they stumble back into padding things out for a bit. I don't think it really picked back up much until the stuff that leads into Heavensward. But there's basically all of ARR over again in quest count there.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    simulacrum wrote: »

please tell me this is a joke
    please for the love of god

Hyur
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I caught up on One Piece the anime and manga quicker than I progressed through ARR

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Au Ra

Ahahahahaha

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    On the plus side, the MSQ gets better from there on out

The stuff after the ARR MSQ is decent, and then Heavensward is pretty good

Everyone who told me the FFXIV story is good prior to that point should be in prison right now, but we live in a fundamentally unjust society

Hyur
    Well. Exactly none of that bodes well for me keeping this subscription active past the 30 day trial. I guess we'll see if I can blitz this shit faster than I get burned out on it.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Larlar

It's a big part of why I hit a bit of a brick wall with leveling and had to take a break. They should really streamline that stuff, or at the very least remove a lot of the back and forth delivery quests.

Like, the number of quests you get that are "go to the leader of this city, then to this random town slightly far away from a crystal, then to Horizon" was completely unreasonable.

rhylith on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    i finished heavensward and it was definitely an improvement but now to press on. i almost think i should stop doing my roulettes because i'm 65 and haven't even begun stormblood.

also hey how do i marry y'shtola asking for no reason in particular

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    tell her you represent the sun god she loves it

liEt3nH.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Miqo'te
    Adus wrote: »
    i finished heavensward and it was definitely an improvement but now to press on. i almost think i should stop doing my roulettes because i'm 65 and haven't even begun stormblood.

also hey how do i marry y'shtola asking for no reason in particular

Hey, get in line, buddy, I was in the proposal queue before you

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    They actually did slightly streamline the level 50 content at one point.

There used to be some quests that required you to go and complete every single guildhest before you were allowed to continue the MSQ.

Larlar
    if you're not doing all the guildhests as they unlock while you level what are you doing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I'm pretty sure they said that the gunbreaker is tentatively going to start at level 60?

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    ...I've never done a guildhest

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    rhylith wrote: »

It's a big part of why I hit a bit of a brick wall with leveling and had to take a break. They should really streamline that stuff, or at the very least remove a lot of the back and forth delivery quests.

Like, the number of quests you get that are "go to the leader of this city, then to this random town slightly far away from a crystal, then to Horizon" was completely unreasonable.
    Logically, I get that the 'quick' way to Vesper Bay is to take the ferry from Limsa, but goddamn I never did. Always the Horizon Aetherite for me.

sig.gif
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Haven't played in awhile because of a bug of the game freezing when I exit. Got an email that my FC's home was scheduled for demolition, so I patched up and logged in. Looks like one of the patches fixed issue. I need to finish up Stormblood's story one of these days.

Hyur
    Looking back over my history with other MMOs, the trick to avoiding burnout for me has consistently been RP. I don't know how much RP actually happens on Sargatanas (and if it does, I do think I've got a solid idea of who Siege is as a character), but Mateus was accepting new characters this morning, so I rolled a couple alts. If you see me online but not on our regular server, it's because I'm tired of bouncing across the continent doing story quests with Siege, and taking a break being a cat person pirate.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I found the trick to avoiding burnout on story or grinding levels, etc was to change things up and do what seemed fun at the time. Sometimes that was sidequests/unlocking dungeons and raids. Sometimes that was messing around in the Golden Saucer. So, changing things up and doing some RP seems like a good plan. I also tried to take the story for what it was when doing the 50+ MSQ quests and tried to enjoy what it revealed about characters and the world. Somehow, it made it more bearable for me, although I acknowledge that there's a fair bit of padding in those quests.

Au Ra
    I spent way too long collecting Triple Triad cards and not enough time leveling.

Shame Heavensward and onward had bullshit rules like Random, which means something very different when you have 50+ possible cards and your opponent has 6 and none of them are weak.

edited February 2019
    Larlar
    so ARR story quest thing:
    Oh no! The sylph is dying in my useless, far-too-late, noodley, white mage arms in a cutscene! Alas, alack, if only there were something I could do! Some sort of... healing... magic? Which could save you from the inevitably fatal pain of being roundhouse kicked into a wall? Oh well, RIP.
    :rotate:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    yeah if you're maining a healer get ready for a lot of that

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    I mean, “far too late” is probably exactly right.
    she’d been lying on the floor, bleeding(?) for, what, hours? One imagines that there’s a point past which a few Cure spells won’t be able to repair the damage done.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Miqo'te

If you main a tank, the "you are supposed to lose fights" also feel a fair bit off. Oh no, I've been knocked down to 20% health by the boss's super move that took them 3 minutes to charge. The boss is at 20% health. All my cooldowns are available and I'm full mana/tp. Whatever shall I do!?

Caedwyr on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elezen
    Burning through MSQ quests as fast as possible is the best way to burn out

I have spent a lot of time fucking around in the Deep Dungeon with random jobs to stave that off

Hyur
    Caedwyr wrote: »

If you main a tank, the "you are supposed to lose fights" also feel a fair bit off. Oh no, I've been knocked down to 20% health by the boss's super move that took them 3 minutes to charge. The boss is at 20% health. All my cooldowns are available and I'm full mana/tp. Whatever shall I do!?

Conversely, a lot of story fights become utterly unlosable but boring slogs as a healer. Especially SCH because you could literally set Eos to sic and just autoattack them dead most of the time.

Hyur
    against all odds

oqplb3ok0b3p.png

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    My next goal is to get all 3 caster DPS up to 70. BLM is there, working on RDM now.

At 56 right now and I like the class a lot, but I'm having a slightly annoying time finding a keybind/hotbar setup that works for me. Normally I put spells with a cast bar on q/e/r/f/t and procs/oGCDs on mouse buttons (I have one of those dumb mmo mice), but for whatever reason I just can't find a setup I like for this job.

Think I'll try moving displacement to the keyboard for now; most of my fuckups have been going for Contre Sixte and fat fingering displacement instead, then having to run back in to finish my melee combo.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Frankly if you don't displacement off a cliff at least once a night are you even really playing RDM?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Roegadyn
    I main rdm and I sweet flips off an instakill platform during what feels like every primal fight these days

Au Ra
    After maining Dragoon for so long Red Mage just felt so familiar as I plummeted from the edge of the platform or landed into a lethal hit

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Madican wrote: »
    After maining Dragoon for so long Red Mage just felt so familiar as I plummeted from the edge of the platform or landed into a lethal hit

I took this exact same Job path

High-five, suicide-jump buddy!

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.