As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I just finished playing this for like 8 hours straight send help please

no finish above 3rd today so far, just can't close it out. Get to 3rd while left solo alive left a bit, can't quiiiite get the timing right to 3rd party the last two teams and give myself a real shot.

Did get a hilarious hot drop fight where I finally won the RNG with a first chest purple armor+peacekeeper and walked through two enemy squads, though, so that at least felt good

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    If your respawn times out and you leave do you get xp for the match?

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    If your respawn times out and you leave do you get xp for the match?

Think so.

steam_sig.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »

I'm always vary of videos that are 10 minutes plus a few seconds long, that just screams monetization maximization..

I have noticed lag once since the game was release, but what's the analysis?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    If I'm downed I'll wait a bit. If I see my own team looting my box, I tend to bounce. Especially if there's been zero communication.

Are people supposed to leave the box untouched for you to eventually come back to it? I don't think that's realistic, usually when we revive someone the team moves on and the person find new stuff.

I mean, it helps to ask, but that's why I much rather play in a preformed group than randoms. Earlier we had a game with a random who kept grabbing all the ammo out from under me. I pinged that I needed ammo, and he pinged back that he needed ammo. Sassy. We went on to win, but I'd much rather have a cooperative teammate than one who is selfish and doesn't listen. I'd rather lose and mesh well together as a team than all be Rambo doing our own thing.

Like if I secure a tag my priorities are heal if I have to, then immediately bring in my friendly ASAP rather than looting.

This happened to me recently and I was chewing it over. I was drop leader and selected a drop, everyone confirmed. The two peeled away a people early, so I told my self I'd head straight to them as soon as I had a good gun. They both got instagibbed, and I could hear that there were multiple squads still firefighting near them, so I looked till I found armor, then ran straight for them. This was apparently a bridge too far and they both dropped, maybe twenty seconds before I'd have been able to pick them up. It was frustrating for me that they ragequit for their own bad drop.

What is this I don't even.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I'm always vary of videos that are 10 minutes plus a few seconds long, that just screams monetization maximization..

Watching about halfway through the video, it seems like the game is sending so much data to each player it's breaking each new packet of info into 4 so they are smaller and easier for the player to download quickly, which means compared to other games you're getting a lot of info from the server to keep things up to date and prevent a desync. From my largely amateur understanding of what he's saying, anyways. So even though this game has lower player count than it's counterparts, it's sending a shitload more data to achieve a similar goal. So there can be 2-3 times longer delays on information such as movement and gunfire than other games.

Honestly I'm surprised, it doesn't feel that shaky when things are popping off, but he did say this only happens a handful of times a match, so it's hard to say how much this really hurts the game as of right now. It's absolutely not the numbers other games are pulling down. I'm curious if this has anything to do with the Source engine.

Local H Jay on
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular

This guy specializes in this kind of testing, it's not a monetization grab. He has done it for several br/mp shooters. He is the guy that discovered blackout was using 20hz servers at launch, despite using 60hz in the beta.

I'm kind of sad at the network state in this game. I knew something was fishy when the don't give you your own ping time within the game. Also, Despite being in Ohio, I keep getting partied with people in Mexico and South America.. namely Peru and Brazil.

Long story short, it seems people with worse connections have a nice advantage. Having your shot (with a bad connection) register and do damage before the person with the good connection sees the damage/action is pretty bad.

In game, it doesn't necessarily feel that bad. Unless you are talking about the super slow motion bug at the beginning (which makes more sense now), or the terrible shotgun hit registration. WHIFF WHIFF WHIFF (all with reticles right on target).

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Bah Ik just had the revive bug. Had to Google why I was walking at a snails pace.

steam_sig.png
    So they're hinting in Blackout that there's some changes coming to the map, in a Fortnite style way it seems like their main map is changing over time. That's different than how PUBG handles the maps, where each new map is a new setting and size, with unique loot/vehicles.

My question is, would you rather they do the first option, continually iterate on the same map and improving it; or would you rather have new maps, potentially bigger or smaller, in a different setting? I need a snow map

The netcode might be sub-par but I don't experience it during a game that I've ever seen. Not that bad design isn't bad, but the player experience does actually end up more important and so far, having played a whole lot, I don't feel like I've really seen it first hand?

Completely unrelated, carried two teams to victory today, like hard carried. Felt good to finally hard carry rather than be carried.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So they're hinting in Blackout that there's some changes coming to the map, in a Fortnite style way it seems like their main map is changing over time. That's different than how PUBG handles the maps, where each new map is a new setting and size, with unique loot/vehicles.

My question is, would you rather they do the first option, continually iterate on the same map and improving it; or would you rather have new maps, potentially bigger or smaller, in a different setting? I need a snow map
    I'd personally prefer the latter, yeah.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The netcode might be sub-par but I don't experience it during a game that I've ever seen. Not that bad design isn't bad, but the player experience does actually end up more important and so far, having played a whole lot, I don't feel like I've really seen it first hand?

I'm inclined to agree. I hope they improve the netcode of course, but I haven't had any deaths where I thought, "Fucking lag killed me!". Unlike say Battlefied where you'd be getting shot at and duck behind a wall but two seconds later you drop dead and the kill cam shows some asshole shooting you straight through the wall.

Although I suppose if Apex had kill cams I might be singing a different tune.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Although I suppose if Apex had kill cams I might be singing a different tune.

I think that's a big one. The player experience is better in Apex because anything that typically is considered to be an "excuse" is hidden or missing (ping times, server zones, kill cams, etc.). I haven't had too many experiences in the game where I thought "That's bs!", maybe only a few where clear shots didn't register or damage after taking cover. I've had a couple instances where clearly the damage was "clumped", as in I load a guy up with 2 full 301 magazines and they have no armor and they suddenly hit me for the full 100-0 (with armor) dead in like .5 seconds. With a weapon like an eva8 or another slow firing weapon. I'm thinking those kind of things are spikes or just something being wonky. But they aren't the norm thankfully.

edited February 2019
    I haven't had too bad lag, but there have been matches with bad rubber banding, usually just at the start as we drop in. Haven't seen it as much since launch but it was there. Also the shotgun thing sounds right, I've definitely missed shots that felt dead on, but then again that may just be wishful thinking on my part that it's the game's fault and not mine.

Regardless I feel like these issues are more pressing on PC where more options are the norm and you're more likely to go against people across the globe. Since PC players tend to be a bit more anal about performance.

Local H Jay on
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I have trouble playing this game without seeing some major relax bike, I'm not sure how much it's just me sucking but it definitely makes me feel like I don't have complete control.

steam_sig.png
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

I'd rather have multiple maps, easy. The only problem is that would compound the problem of people who immediately DC from their teammates if EVERYTHING isn't precisely how they like it, but fuck those people and do not cater to them.

Kings canyon looks like a demonstration piece with many different biomes included to show off the range of their mapping tools. We have desert biomes, temperate, zones, swamps, scorched no-man's land, urban zones, shanty town zones, etc. Pretty much any of these can be scaled up into full maps.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    The one thing I'd like is a city map or a map with a larger city. In PUBG there's these massive cities with tall buildings, that scale would be awesome for something like this. Give me Mega Angel City.

I think if they were going to do multiple maps, which they should, they would have to only have one map available at a time to prevent that, "Today's map is ice world" etc.

edited February 2019
    Yeah I want to see full maps. I'd prefer if they were all the same size too.

I think a city map could be pretty cool. You could have an office center with really tall buildings and lots of verticallity to it, a large park with trees and such, an upscale residential area with large homes and fenced off yards everywhere, a slums section with really tight maze-like corridors, maybe even a commercial center that is one large indoor mall area.

I dunno, there are tons of cool ideas they could do.

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think if they were going to do multiple maps, which they should, they would have to only have one map available at a time to prevent that, "Today's map is ice world" etc.

They could do what Splatoon does and rotate maps every couple hours. I actually always really enjoyed that about Splatoon.

Axen on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    1rjwtwa9clny.jpg
    Traitors
    <3

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Every now and then i run into an issue where everything works except my keyboard inputs for about 10 seconds or so. Its almost like big lag spikes except everything else is still processing normally. Not being able to move while standing in the open is extremely frustrating.

steam_sig.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    My big problem with this game is I watch streamers and I think “yeah I can do that!” and I try to be the most aggressive player ever and it doesn’t work out

I don’t get how good players avoid dying so much. Like that dude who point blank two tapped me with a long bow as I slid diagonal at him hip firing my spitfire

I feel like that death was out of my hands. But that type of thing happens to me all the time. How do super good players avoid dying ever in a game when you can die in .5 seconds to certain guns

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah the netcode does need some tweaks still. It's good at masking it but it is still very noticeable in some instances.

Disrupter wrote: »
    My big problem with this game is I watch streamers and I think “yeah I can do that!” and I try to be the most aggressive player ever and it doesn’t work out

I don’t get how good players avoid dying so much. Like that dude who point blank two tapped me with a long bow as I slid diagonal at him hip firing my spitfire

I feel like that death was out of my hands. But that type of thing happens to me all the time. How do super good players avoid dying ever in a game when you can die in .5 seconds to certain guns

Honestly I think it's that you play aggressive and right and some games you look like a God, and sometimes you die in the first engagement. But the dude you feel like is the best player ever, you only saw the game where he wrecked. You didn't see the time before where he got dropped while he was fucking with a crate in the first three minutes.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    One thing with streamers. Yes they are very good and able to win 1v3 situations a moderate amount of the time but.

1. They also usually play in groups with people who communicate and are generally about as good as they are.

2. There are plenty of matches where they wipe instantly and just start the new game.

Dragkonias on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Most squads should be able to get to the Top 5 maybe 80% of the time without much difficulty unless they're picking bad fights

It's really easy to just run away in this game and set an ambush or heal and loot and pick a spot to engage again

But I'm pretty certain you need to pull teeth with pliers to get people to back off and/or take a zipline

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    I can't count how many times we get a win, go into the next game, and immediately eat shit upon landing

edited February 2019
    I've noticed the super bad lag in matches when playing with a friend in Asia which makes sense. Though I'm not sure how this fits in with the whole datacenter thing. Do you join the DC of the player you party up with?

Other stuff is less clear cut but it's also hard to say without kill cams.

Dracil on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    How about a ringworld map?

Ziplines/balloons on tangents. A central hub full of hot loot. Supply ships/shuttles spread around, flying between the hub and/or other areas.

Here's a pic DzhrS7yX0AEXTGr.jpg:large

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I've had horrific stuttering lag in premade squads before which goes away the next game.

Sokpuppet wrote: »

Ziplines/balloons on tangents. A central hub full of hot loot. Supply ships/shuttles spread around, flying between the hub and/or other areas.

I'd love an O'Neil cylinder type map, but I think that a Ringworld would be too big by many orders of magnitude.

3DS Friend Code:
    edited February 2019
    Oh hey I can pick a Data Center now? Or was that always there? I never noticed it before.

edit- And would it even matter?

Axen on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I like Fortnite's approach to the map personally. It's like DotA where the whole game is oriented around The Map, and you develop an intimate familiarity with it, but the game is varied enough to not get old. Nobody ever likes the new maps as much as the originals. It splits your playerbase, unless you force-random all the games between the maps, which can just be annoying when you have a preference. Plus the more maps there are the less accessible the game is to new players.

. Nobody ever likes the new maps as much as the originals.

Wrong.

3DS Friend Code:
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

I'd love an O'Neil cylinder type map, but I think that a Ringworld would be too big by many orders of magnitude.

The fact that this game already plays with space and movement in interesting ways opens up a lot of possibilities for maps with more complex topography than, "island."

We already have ziplines, relaunchers, flying platforms, a character that can open rifts through space...

They could go some really unique directions with map design, building on what they've already done.

How about a Battle Royale where the circle is stationary but the map gradually expands? I suppose the players would have to gradually get larger, or something...

Sokpuppet on
    I like Fortnite's approach to the map personally. It's like DotA where the whole game is oriented around The Map, and you develop an intimate familiarity with it, but the game is varied enough to not get old. Nobody ever likes the new maps as much as the originals. It splits your playerbase, unless you force-random all the games between the maps, which can just be annoying when you have a preference. Plus the more maps there are the less accessible the game is to new players.

Honestly, most PUBG players hate the original map and the second, and prefer the smaller, newer maps

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I just spent 30 minutes shooting st targets in the training mode

One thing I noticed is strafe speeds on guns are super different between types. Like pistol and smg is almost as fast as normal and lmg sniper are suuuuper slow

So this led me to try a flick method where I’m only ADS to fire.

But even then the different zoom speed of different guns makes it different from gun to gun muscle memory wise.

Still got pretty good at messing up the 6 targets standing next to each other with wingman, scout, spitfire and r-99 smg

I’m determined to get good at this game darn it !

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I notice the lag in gunfights for sure and I'm sure part of it is my fault for playing on WiFi. I don't get mad about it but it feels bad to lose a fight because ??? when I'm pretty sure I was aimed right.