As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Red/Black is an interesting change for Ferrari.

Still got that totally-not-tobacco-sponsorship though

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its hard to see in the photo but ferrari also has a slight wing taper on the outer edge in front of the tire

not quite as far as Alfa which simply ditched the wing, but clearly people are thinking that maybe you dont need the wing now that you're not allowed to put bits on it and just let the air cool the brakes

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I just looked up Mission Winnow. It's a company formed specifically as a partnership between Ferrari and Phillip Morris? That's what it looks like.

So it's totally ad revenue from a tobacco company. Hmmmmm.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I just looked up Mission Winnow. It's a company formed specifically as a partnership between Ferrari and Phillip Morris? That's what it looks like.

So it's totally ad revenue from a tobacco company. Hmmmmm.

PMI has managed Ferrari's ad stuff for years. And yes, it's a workaround way to get 1) The 'M' logo on the car and 2) get people to google 'Mission Winnow' and then eventually end up knowing who it's an ad for.

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The logo from last year's car even looked a bit like a cigarette.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ok F1 TV Pro signed up because it got offered at 50% off and that’s right about where I’m totally willing to pay for it. Used voucher code “F1TV50” without the quotes on an annual subscription to Pro. $99 USD turned into just 49 and now I can listen to unedited team radio yesssssss.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ferrari have been skirting the rules on tobacco advertising for years - see the phillip morris "barcode" they used for years for the same purpose. What's disappointing is that McLaren have signed up to the same crap this year - that "A Better Tomorrow" branding is actually BAT. Let's see what they have to say for themselves:
    McLaren chief executive Zak Brown said the BAT partnership should not be seen as a 'tobacco' sponsor.

"BAT is an outstanding corporation that has a long history in motorsport," he said.

Our partnership's one that is technology based with their newer generation products. We don't have any relationship with the tobacco side of the business.

"Their industry is one that's transforming and is technology driven. So we think there's areas where we can work with them and help them in their transformation journey around technology.

"They're a great company to be working with.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141499/mclaren-defends-bat-sponsorship-deal

So, the usual "technology based" guff without specifying what, if anything, it actually does. As for "outstanding company":
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_American_Tobacco#Controversies

So yeah, fuck McLaren for going in on this.

altid on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Technology-based, at least to me implies Vape tech, a pivot that a lot of long standing tobacco corps are making. To be fair McLaren has shown an ability to rip fat clouds from the exhaust in recent years so there is a synergy there.

7qmGNt5.png
    Ok F1 TV Pro signed up because it got offered at 50% off and that’s right about where I’m totally willing to pay for it. Used voucher code “F1TV50” without the quotes on an annual subscription to Pro. $99 USD turned into just 49 and now I can listen to unedited team radio yesssssss.

I just had a look if this would solve my issue with not having cable, and F1 TV Pro is not available in Canada. F1 TV Access is, and you can watch the live race. Unfortunately, I work Sundays, so I have to wait until Sunday evening to watch the race.

On F1 TV Access, race replays are available....7 days after the race.

FUCK OFF.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

I just had a look if this would solve my issue with not having cable, and F1 TV Pro is not available in Canada. F1 TV Access is, and you can watch the live race. Unfortunately, I work Sundays, so I have to wait until Sunday evening to watch the race.

FUCK OFF.

Aw that sucks. They have such strange arbitrary differences between countries. I assume having to do with tv rights contracts. Very pro consumer obviously. Ugh.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

FUCK OFF.

Aw that sucks. They have such strange arbitrary differences between countries. I assume having to do with tv rights contracts. Very pro consumer obviously. Ugh.

Unless you want to fork out over $800 for Foxtel's cheapest sports package, there is no way to watch F1 live again in Australia this year.

steam_sig.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

TeeMan wrote: »

FUCK OFF.

Unless you want to fork out over $800 for Foxtel's cheapest sports package, there is no way to watch F1 live again in Australia this year.

kayo sports is 25/month

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

FUCK OFF.

Similarly in the UK, as far as I can see the cheapest Sky TV package with the F1 channel (and with the HD option, which still costs extra over SD to the tune of £6 a month!) is £528 per year. That is with nothing on top of the basic package except F1.

Frankly they can fuck right off with that shit.

I'll be living with the C4 highlights shows, and for races on at UK-friendly hours, I'll shortly be investigating friendly pubs.

Bernie Ecclestone's legacy, right here.

Jazz on
    Interestingly, there's no Canadian F1 broadcast, so we're just getting the American feed (NBC? Fox? I can't remember who bought the rights).

And I live in the far north, so to get F1, I'm looking at over $1,000 a year.

Yeah, no.

I was hoping F1's online offerings would allow me to watch the races (legitimately), but still, no. They super don't want my money.

edited February 2019
    In the US F1 is generally broadcast on ESPN/2 for practice and qualifying, then ABC gets the race. Though there’s some variance throughout the season. They are all Disney-owned and so I’m sure they have some kind of draconian contract in place.

Edit: but it’s just a broadcast of Sky’s coverage and though I like the presenters, I still find the on screen information terribly lacking but that’s more of a all sports television experience problem. Which is why I like the online stuff to at least supplement with race radio and timings that I can control at my own whims.

davidsdurions on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Doesn't appear you can do this if you're already a subscriber :( At least not in an obvious way.

It's fine, I'm fine with the 99 bucks a year because I tend to watch F1 and odd times and I love to go back and watch races from recent years...but I'd always take a 50 spot back :D

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

FUCK OFF.

kayo sports is 25/month

Despite being a Telstra customer (not by choice, mind you, but remoteness) I had no idea this was a thing! Thank you, kind sir!

steam_sig.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

FUCK OFF.

kayo sports is 25/month

Despite being a Telstra customer (not by choice, mind you, but remoteness) I had no idea this was a thing! Thank you, kind sir!

Yeah they finally cottoned on to the fact that some people only want the sport. Haven't used it myself (use the normal foxtel streaming off my parents' account) but friends who've tried it say it's very good.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

New Williams just like the old Williams.

Williams to miss opening day of F1 preseason.
    They’d already cancelled the shakedown they had planned for Saturday, and now Williams have confirmed they will miss the opening day of pre-season testing in Barcelona on Monday.
    The Grove-based team say the brand-new Mercedes-powered FW42, which was revealed via digital renderings on Friday, will not be ready to run until Tuesday morning.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    And here is the Alfa:

ch4i6z8cosuc.png

DzsVrnYX4AA89h8.jpg

oldmanken on
    New Williams just like the old Williams.

Williams to miss opening day of F1 preseason.
    They’d already cancelled the shakedown they had planned for Saturday, and now Williams have confirmed they will miss the opening day of pre-season testing in Barcelona on Monday.
    The Grove-based team say the brand-new Mercedes-powered FW42, which was revealed via digital renderings on Friday, will not be ready to run until Tuesday morning.

Update

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.williams-to-miss-second-day-of-pre-season-testing.5kCPG7tBWmpsLCx21GWdTN.html

Oops

FFS, Williams.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    In other news, youtube served me this wonderful F1/Indy comparison of Hamilton last year and testing from Indy car this year.

https://youtu.be/2Ft3Ug_YthM

The biggest difference is, obviously, a lot more downforce and the F1 car hit top speed basically immediately while Indy takes the full back stretch to get there. Looks like they both hit similar top speeds though.

looks like that crazy Alfa wing was real.. a few other cars also have tapers none so extreme. By contrast, Red Bull has a massive, more traditional looking wing

Wing wars have arrived!

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    looks like that crazy Alfa wing was real.. a few other cars also have tapers none so extreme. By contrast, Red Bull has a massive, more traditional looking wing

Wing wars have arrived!

As someone that is just starting an applied math, engineering, physics undergrad program, with a plan to focus on aerodynamics, I am incredibly excited about this development. The math behind that wing design must be incredibly solid for a team to take that risk. Even if it's just a testing/developing wing prototype it still means huge things for the future of this sport.

I expect this means Alfa will be faster in the straights with a lot more focused downforce for the turns when not trailing someone. I expect red bull to be able to follow much more closely than Alfa without a serious loss of grip. I think Alfa is expecting hoping to be at top of the rest, while red bull is expecting to be following Mercedes most of the time. I dont see that alfa making any passes without a huge straight to help, but that red bull very well could make a pass coming out of any turn with that front wing.

Edit: I noticed the wing spotted in testing at the bottom of the last page and the one in these pictures are drastically different, too. Someone is really hoping to change things up.

Veevee on
    the publicity photos of the Alfa launch do not appear to be the real car, it seems like a weird photoshop.. which is why the wing is wrong

they bought the weird wing to Barcelona

but your analysis makes sense, the Alfa should be very fast in a straight line with a current gen ferrari engine, and the Red Bull is consigning itself to 3rd place

its realistic, even if the Red Bull is the quickest in race trim, I seriously doubt it's possible for Honda to deliver an engine with a Qualifying mode on par with Mercedes

2019 car pictures added to OP.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Seeing them together I like Renault and McLaren the best. Alfa and Ferrarri are good, too.

The Racing Point is so goddamn busy looking. I can see what they were going for, taking the line of the halo and extending it but then then also cut a corner from the blue part and made the air intake pink and added a million sponsor deacals tha don't work together.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's kind of funny how hard Mercedes is sand bagging in testing. Just watching Hamilton drive you can tell he's just kind of strolling around. Times in testing are completely meaningless of course, but I can tell just watching the car that Mercedes isn't really on it. Be curious to see if they lay down a beast lap near the end of this weeks testing or if they keep it under wraps.

e: To prove the point, I haven't seen Hamilton open his DRS slot once.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    There's a trailer for an f1 Netflix Doc today, releasing on March 8th. I am genuinely curious if it'll be a puff piece or anything more interesting. The McLaren one on Prime was quite good, if only for showcasing the bravado in their management.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQXOal_3bw

From the looks of it it's an embedded thing from last year and not just one team, if nothing else it'll be a nice recap before the season kicks off.

7qmGNt5.png
    Anyone play Dirt Rally 2.0 yet? I’m still out of gaming time with new baby in the house so I’ll probably only get later on discount. Curious if it holds up to scrutiny though?

All the reviews I have seen has it being better than the previous one, and it's tops on my list at the moment. We're about to add a baby to the mix, and trying to sell our house and move, so not really a good time to sink teeth into it though.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Rumour has it Ted Kravitz has been fired from the Sky F1 team. Not exactly clear on why. A pity really, his notebook was probably the best part of the post-race coverage on sky.

edited February 2019
    Looks like Karun Chandhok has moved to Sky, probably to replace Ted. Damn shame if it's true about Ted, but I'd expect him to resurface somewhere else. Maybe even at C4? Although I'm not sure what form their coverage this year is going to take yet.

Jazz on
    I actually bit the bullet and picked up Dirt Rally 2.0 (I blame @davidsdurions), and opted for the deluxe edition, which includes the next couple season passes (new cars and tracks), a Porsche of some type, and 5 additional cars unlocked at the outset. I've only been toying with it this morning, so take that in to account, and I am playing on the PS4 using a controller.

One sentence review: It's more Dirt Rally, and that's a very good thing.

Longer take:

It's gorgeous, of course, so let's get that out of the way right now. The tracks I have run this far are challenging, and we'll designed. It's been a while since I have played Dirt Rally, but the cars feel better planted, and more responsive... So, I think it's an improvement over the last one. The gravel feels different, if that's a thing, but it just does and I'm not sure how to describe that. Oh, the additional Rallycross stuff is great as well, and while it's not my preferred mode, considering the situation I will find myself in in a few weeks, it's probably more easily digestible.

One thing that is an annoyance, and something that I probably shouldn't be expecting (Hitman 2 ruined me on this)... I am bummed that the tracks from the previous game are not automatically added in if you own the previous version. Would have been a nice little perk, but alas, it was not to be. They are apparently porting them for the first season dlc, which sorta sucks, but probably what convinced me to buy the deluxe edition... So, good job on that Codemasters.

Anyway, I think it makes a strong case for a buy. As with the previous Dirt Rally, I can see myself playing it for longer than I did some of the F1 games. I think I really key in on the solitary nature of trying to set a time, rather than directly competing against opponents in race.

Follow up. I did some more Rallycross after I posted the above. Raining at Catalunya, and what's incredible is the feel when you go from gravel to tarmac, and how it grabs your car. It feels so real, and since I haven't figured it out yet, it has led to me finishing last in each of those races.

Awesome!

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Follow up. I did some more Rallycross after I posted the above. Raining at Catalunya, and what's incredible is the feel when you go from gravel to tarmac, and how it grabs your car. It feels so real, and since I haven't figured it out yet, it has led to me finishing last in each of those races.

Awesome!

Got convinced into giving this a shot and got it.

First rally experience? New England, 12KM in the night + rain.

Got my headlights smashed in the first few meters, proceed to rally through the entire damn thing in the dark.

I ended up dead last, no surprises. But it was fun.

Thing is, I have no idea why I have no money for repairs.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited February 2019
    I started out doing a couple daily challenges, just to get myself some money. Odd that they don't give you a startup fund though.

Also, if anyone plans to play on PS4, my PSN name is oldmanken80.

oldmanken on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I started out doing a couple daily challenges, just to get myself some money. Odd that they don't give you a startup fund though.

Also, if anyone plans to play on PS4, my PSN name is oldmanken80.

Yeah, I just started the normal rally "career" option (not the RallyCross) and I had 0 credits to my name. Already did a daily to get that up a bit. I just kinda expected some starting cash and a bit more tutorials, like in DiRT Rally 1.0

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Sorry y'all, going to make another comment about Dirt Rally 2.0.

So, like I said, I started out with some of the daily events, just to get the hang of things. As a result, my first proper stage race in the game was in New Zealand with some 500hp Audi job. Needless to say, that's too much car for me, and that particular stage is hairpin heaven. I finished a little over 2 minutes back, and as it was the AI challenge, dead last. Woo!

Fast forward to last night, and I was finally ready to give the regular rally career mode a shot by running the first couple stages. Rocking a Lancia Fulvia, which is definitely more my speed, the first rally in career mode is in Poland. Bloody hell! It was like a walk in the park compared to New Zealand, with lots of long straights with some sweeping corners, nothing too hair-raising. Sitting in 6th overall after the first two stages, which feels about right... but more importantly, I have done essentially zero damage to my car (a little body damage on the first stage)! Why did I not start out with this!?

Anyway, games great, get it.

This discussion has been closed.