As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh man, she's perfect.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Its so nice to finaly be able to stream s3

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    think i'll fit in as much of a series rewatch as i can before season 4 drops, very excited!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Gosh, the back half of S3 is astoundingly stupid.

Between the Melba Toast subplot, the Faux Documentary shit, and Holden's Many Constipated Faces it's just a whole lot of ughhhhhhh.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

Between the Melba Toast subplot, the Faux Documentary shit, and Holden's Many Constipated Faces it's just a whole lot of ughhhhhhh.

Not sure you’re going to get too many agrees there.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Not sure you’re going to get too many agrees there.

Doors and corners... doors and corners...

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Just binged season 3 in about 10 hours. Holy fuck that was good.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Even with season 3 swinging harder into science fiction territory, The Expanse continues to be the hardest scfi ever put to film. And I love it. Even the protomolecule isn't totally outside the realm of possibility when you realize it's just universal assembler tech. It's so rare that a scifi motion picture of any form to even realistically portray gravity in space, much less make it a major plot point on numerous occasions ad a constant concern.

Edit: Even in S03 when they spent extended periods in microgravity I bought the use of magnetic boots just to keep everything properly orientated. At any moment combat could break out and you can't have half your crew just floating around. People could get hurt worse than they already did.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I think S3 is the first time I've seen a SF show do
    severe acceleration trauma. Don't change velocity without bracing, kids!

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I loved the whole zero-g medicine angle (which I now can't remember) even more than that.

When does this come back?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I loved that they telegraphed the hell out of what slowing down means at every junction, so when you saw that cliffhanger you were just "oh shittt....."

EDIT: Also the casualty counts are a subtle bit of awesome...
    After the speed limit gets dropped they say about 1/3rd of their crew died. Why 1/3rd? Well you'd have 8 hour shifts, 3 shifts, and the people most likely to survive would've been strapped into their bunks or sitting down somewhere. The people who died would've been anyone with their head aimed in the direction of travel...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Stow all tools for rapid vector changes

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Finished season 3 over the weekend and it was amazing! I haven’t read the books but I’m still going to speculate about what’s going on:
    I get the feeling that the Miller AI is using humanity like a canary in a coal mine. My guess is it’s trying to see if the big bad is still out there and if the humans don’t get annihilated then some ring builders who were hiding in stasis come back to rebuild. There was a book about an alien AI doing something very similar, but I can’t remember the title.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Finished season 3 over the weekend and it was amazing! I haven’t read the books but I’m still going to speculate about what’s going on:
    I get the feeling that the Miller AI is using humanity like a canary in a coal mine. My guess is it’s trying to see if the big bad is still out there and if the humans don’t get annihilated then some ring builders who were hiding in stasis come back to rebuild. There was a book about an alien AI doing something very similar, but I can’t remember the title.
    The show does a decent job of getting it across that the Miller projection (and the system running him) isn't even properly a self-aware AI and the books hammer that home a lot more (they have the time for it), just a tool to get a job done. In fact, all the alien tech in general seems to be wholly lacking in proper sentience; there is a limited awareness at the very highest levels of complexity but ultimately it's the equivalent of a very complicated cell phone stuck in "looking for signal" mode.

It's possible it's all a ruse and the system has been programmed to act that way, but I think the system really is just trying to find the ring builders so it can get orders. It doesn't seem to have any basic motivation beyond that directive, and any semblance of intelligence on its part seems to be letting the Miller program run too long in a stretch.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

I loved the whole zero-g medicine angle (which I now can't remember) even more than that.

When does this come back?

They just wrapped S4 filming, and I think I read on Reddit (so it must be true) speculation that it would likely be released sometime in the late summer.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    The show does a decent job of getting it across that the Miller projection (and the system running him) isn't even properly a self-aware AI and the books hammer that home a lot more (they have the time for it), just a tool to get a job done. In fact, all the alien tech in general seems to be wholly lacking in proper sentience; there is a limited awareness at the very highest levels of complexity but ultimately it's the equivalent of a very complicated cell phone stuck in "looking for signal" mode.

It's possible it's all a ruse and the system has been programmed to act that way, but I think the system really is just trying to find the ring builders so it can get orders. It doesn't seem to have any basic motivation beyond that directive, and any semblance of intelligence on its part seems to be letting the Miller program run too long in a stretch.
    Interesting, I started reading the books today so my theories will likely change dramatically

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Watching everything again now that it's all on Prime, and just finished season two.

I am just here to say that Wes Chatam, who plays Amos, is fucking RIPPED.

I MEAN GOD DAMN. I may have the vapors.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Also, third season and Holden is still wearing that fucking Pur Klean t-shirt.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Watching everything again now that it's all on Prime, and just finished season two.

I am just here to say that Wes Chatam, who plays Amos, is fucking RIPPED.

I MEAN GOD DAMN. I may have the vapors.

Everybody looks like they grew up in low g when they're standing next to Amos.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular

I loved that they telegraphed the hell out of what slowing down means at every junction, so when you saw that cliffhanger you were just "oh shittt....."

EDIT: Also the casualty counts are a subtle bit of awesome...
    After the speed limit gets dropped they say about 1/3rd of their crew died. Why 1/3rd? Well you'd have 8 hour shifts, 3 shifts, and the people most likely to survive would've been strapped into their bunks or sitting down somewhere. The people who died would've been anyone with their head aimed in the direction of travel...

Since I've been streaming S3 this last week, I like that they touch on actual spaceflight concerns. But the numbers still miff me.
    The show never shows that deceleration happens over any protracted length of time. The show just sort of implies the speed limit goes from 5000 m/s to 30 m/s instantly. (Apparently the books give 5 seconds? That would at least make survival remotely plausible.)

Working from that book value, 5000 m/s to 30 m/s in 5 seconds is over 100 g. That is survivable by a human...as a peak g-force. You extend that over 5 seconds and pretty much everyone is dead. You might get by with 50 g or so over a few seconds if you had proper restraints (or fancy sci-fi g force juice). Even traveling at 60% of the limit (3000 m/s) gets you 60 g over 5 seconds. Also dead.

Then Naomi goes into the Rocinate and starts manhandling everyone's head. Sure, she throws Alex in a neck brace - after she's flopped his neck all over. (For all the triage scenes, this article has some neat insight into space-based medicine and concerns over bleeding.)

Documentary is annoying. Melba is also annoying. Everything else is solid.
    The show is really trying to make me feel bad... I guess? for Clarissa. I get the impression the show's going to try throwing her on the main crew or serve as some deus ex machina. And disregard that she's basically killed thousands of people. I also get annoyed that it seems she orchestrated her entirely plan herself. Apparently she's a mastermind explosive's expert, mechanic, pilot, hacker, video editor and EVA suit operator. Able to blow up ships and fabricate videos and take over all the comms in the solar system. Her plot needs way, way, way, way more support than her and some supposedly unwitting camera man.

I'm also hoping for some Ashford + Drummer reconciliation since Ashford seems so likable. But I'm sure he'll ruin everything at some point.

I really like Cara Gee in this. I'm not sure how she manages to open her mouth so wide when shouting though.

• Options
    Cara Gee is a real treasure and her cadence and delivery as Drummer is just a delight. She almost spits out her lines with such aggression.

She's also fantastic on Twitter.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Book spoilers (up to the current book):
    Clarissa is a weak link in the crew. And never recovers from that state. All the problems Rex said are spot on and we're just supposed to forget about it. Or accept it, I guess. So her ultimate fate falls very flat.

Not sure what you can do about that, though. Hopefully the show improves it somehow.

• Options
    Season 3, Episode 7. Naomi has adopted a thicker belter accent. This fucking show.

• Options
    David Strahairn is just one of those Guy who kills everything. He's just good.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

yo could you mark book spoilers? thanks

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Season 3, Episode 7. Naomi has adopted a thicker belter accent. This fucking show.

Pretty sure it's only on the belter ship, so I let it slide. I've had friends who slip into a different accent when they spoke with family or friends back home.

Artereis on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure he was complimenting that. She gets a thicker accent because she's around belters now etc. A nice touch.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »

Pretty sure it's only on the belter ship, so I let it slide. I've had friends who slip into a different accent when they spoke with family or friends back home.

Pretty sure that was exactly the point.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Artereis wrote: »

No no, that was a huge compliment. I am a mix of two starkly different races and I do the same thing.

I am sure I only noticed it this time cause going from Season 3 Episode 6 to Season 3 Episode 7 is such a huge skip it's very noticeable.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I love how detail-oriented the show is with regards to the characters as well

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    That scene in Episode 7, you know the one, was probably the grossest thing I've ever scene on television.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    That scene in Episode 7, you know the one, was probably the grossest thing I've ever scene on television.

I love gory horror movies and I even stopped this episode followed by a lengthy ,"What the fuck, man?"

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Physics are fucked up man

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I'm pretty surprised they allowed it on broadcast TV, it's some pretty serious gore. Brutally realistic gore, sure, but dang.

• Options
    I actually found
    body of maintainance guy being violently made to fit behind the wall panel
    more unsettling

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

I'm pretty surprised they allowed it on broadcast TV, it's some pretty serious gore. Brutally realistic gore, sure, but dang.

It's cable. They can do whatever they want.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

I really like Cara Gee in this. I'm not sure how she manages to open her mouth so wide when shouting though.

It is apparently not limited to shouting:

https://goo.gl/images/cpZwFn
    https://goo.gl/images/SdFPok
    https://goo.gl/images/71XND7

But it is only frightening when shouting.

(Linked for possibly huge)

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Went through season 3 over the weekend (and watched S1 and 2 again before that). Holy crap, what a show.
    Ashford (or rather David Strathairn, who btw I just learned is already 70 years old) is just fantastic. As is Drummer. Question for the book people - why are Dawes and Johnson so out of the picture? Just because they are not near the ring?

I didn't like the Melba and Miller plots too much, especially the latter veered a bit too much from the hard SF of the rest of the show for my taste.

And do I want the Razorback in my garage.

But overall, holy crap, what a show. Haven't read the books yet, but I can't wait for season 4.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Do yourself a favour and read the books. They’re great.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Oh, I'll eventually get around to it. My "to read" pile isn't getting any smaller though :)

This discussion has been closed.