As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Probably better, though I'm not really a fan of short-sleeved collared shirts.
    Making sure your outfit has some white and grey in it will probably hit that coordinated-but-not-matchy sweet spot.

Also that's a really nice jumpsuit!

• Options
    @Usagi I see you there, I need you to come out east so we can shop for frivolous summer wear together! Winter can't fuck off soon enough.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    @Usagi I see you there, I need you to come out east so we can shop for frivolous summer wear together! Winter can't fuck off soon enough.

Lord yes, I am well overdue for a Tynic-stravaganza!!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Wearing a short sleeved button up with a suit feels extremely weird to me

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    it is a bit. but you have to hedge your bets a bit in sydney at that time of year, where the weather could be anywhere between 15c and 35c

alternatively i could just... not spend money ahead of time and wait. but that's no fun

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I wonder if I could pull off a leather jacket sometime

Should I begin saving for one 🤔

Bruh you would look so good in a proper leather bomber jacket with lambswool collar. Great for those chilly NYC winters, too!

• Options
    He's not wrong.

I popped into the office to grab some stuff and there's some kind of major debate tournament going on all over campus. I've never seen so many awkwardly gussied-up teens in my life.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh god, horny teens! Run!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    maybe you can hide in some sort of pod

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    maybe you can hide in some sort of pod

That'll never work, the sides of the pod are clear.
    What you need to do is climb on top of the pod, because teenagers can't look up.

see317 on
  • Options
    hmm, i quite like the idea of this

whether the idea would match reality, though...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    40% chance of looking like a 1920s steel worker
    30% chance of looking like Shepherd Book
    15% chance of looking like Jawaharlal Nehru cosplay

that still leaves a 15% chance of looking casually hip, so what they hey

• Options
    edited February 2019
    welp. if judd law can do it...

*buys*

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I wonder if I could pull off a leather jacket sometime

Should I begin saving for one 🤔

Bruh you would look so good in a proper leather bomber jacket with lambswool collar. Great for those chilly NYC winters, too!

I have a lot of bomber style jackets and lots of cold weather things

I was looking at a thing like so - a pared down motorcycle jacket, without the belt / epaulets etc:
    image_1fd1b97f-7032-4a72-88fb-9794d6b7fa50_2000x.jpg?v=1549934239

poo
  • Options
    DabeDabe Photographist Portland, ORRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    This jacket is great as is, but I'd say this might be the furthest you'd wanna go with minimizing the details of a biker style leather. IMO they get all their characteristics from the details like zips, snaps, and epaulets so dropping anything more than this would start to lose the point and aesthetic.

• Options
    Ty for input

Anyway this is more a future idea, prob won’t get one this year I imagine

poo
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I gotta say, for what it's worth, I usually prefer cleaner jacket designs myself, but once I got my motorcycle jacket I found I loved the belt and epaulets and every jingly little zipper pull on it

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I've been eyeing motorcycle jackets all year and I wish it was a little more cut and dried who made good Womens' fit ones

The best jackets all seem to be online but it's hard to tell how well the tailoring will fit for different body types and that sketches me out a bit, given how much money I'd be dropping

My pleather one is probably seeing its last season, though, so I'll probably bite the bullet over the summer

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    This Japanese company did a trunk show at a store near me recently
    https://www.finecreek.jp/

Supposedly they have amazing stuff
    I thought about going just to check it out, but it was rainy and I knew I wasn’t gonna buy anything, but I shoulda gone just to see and meet the people

If they do in the future I’ll check it out
    Or if I just go to Japan

poo
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    I've been eyeing motorcycle jackets all year and I wish it was a little more cut and dried who made good Womens' fit ones

The best jackets all seem to be online but it's hard to tell how well the tailoring will fit for different body types and that sketches me out a bit, given how much money I'd be dropping

My pleather one is probably seeing its last season, though, so I'll probably bite the bullet over the summer

I pretty much only look at motorcycle jackets in second hand shops
    because a true motorcycle jacket has to look like it's been dragged along the road under 500kg of tortured metal a few times, and I'm not really keen on developing that look myself.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I have a great motorcycle jacket my brother gave me but the times where I can wear it are sadly limited, it's too hot for most of the year and not warm enough for winter proper.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I have a great motorcycle jacket my brother gave me but the times where I can wear it are sadly limited, it's too hot for most of the year and not warm enough for winter proper.

Yeah, that’s what I figure for me too
    So not in a rush to pick one up

But I’ll keep an eye out

poo
  • Options
    DabeDabe Photographist Portland, ORRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited February 2019
    @JayKaos the sad truth of leathers if you live in an area with actual variable weather. Tempted to find a sherpa lined one for winter honestly but even then its probably not worth it in the rain out here.

Dabe on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Shaz I think the motorcycle jacket you posted it a bit too short, thin-looking, and pared down. If you want to do a style that's sleeker, it might be better to do bomber jacket style or, hm, not sure what to call the style of leather jackets that my parents bought in Italy...somewhere between a blazer and a field jacket? Symmetrical, not very many details, I think button fastenings instead of a zipper but now I can't remember.

I live in this leather jacket:
    ttpuivn0ra0y.jpg

and honestly I think that having all the extra bits on it is what makes it feel like a motorcycle jacket, and like it's able to go with just normal jeans or whatever. I think if you get something like in the picture you posted, you are definitely forced to elevate your style to match the jacket and really think about your silhouette. Which might be a good thing; I just know I couldn't do that consistently.
    Also I got this jacket used so it was the perfect degree of somewhat worn, and also $100 instead of the $500 it retails for online. It's by far my favorite piece of clothing.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    once you've decided you need a leather jacket, you wait. the jacket will find you.

edit: this post was originally going to be an extended history of my life in leather jackets but it included the words "tyler durden replica" so i think that prompted me to not present my judgement as notable

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The pictured leather jacket and the tropical shirt on the previous page have been floating in my mind and now I want both and to make an outfit with of them.

It probably wouldn't work. I don't care.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    The pictured leather jacket and the tropical shirt on the previous page have been floating in my mind and now I want both and to make an outfit with of them.

You're halfway there to making it work

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I pretty much only look at motorcycle jackets in second hand shops
    because a true motorcycle jacket has to look like it's been dragged along the road under 500kg of tortured metal a few times, and I'm not really keen on developing that look myself.

In my experience the pattern of wear you get from a genuine accident is aesthetically disappointing for all its authenticity.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Yes the aloha shirt is still on my radar

But first I need to do my taxes and see how much I have leftover because I think I owe a shit ton this year

They make a tailored fit and a classic roomy fit, but I feel like with these things you want the latter for sure

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

You're halfway there to making it work

The other half is purchasing the leather jacket and the tropical shirt, right?
    I think I'm starting to get the hang of fashion.

*Looks in mirror*
    Or not.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I can't really wear the leather jacket I have because it's too padded and I end up feeling like a terminator or something.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I can't really wear the leather jacket I have because it's too padded and I end up feeling like a terminator or something.

Wait

Do you not want to be a terminator

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Wait

Do you not want to be a terminator

I just don't want to look like an 80s villain, which as a blonde man is something that comes up often.

I like to ART
  • Options
    the thing about 80s villains in leather jackets is that they are very sexy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    hmmm, good point. I might take a selfie later and throw myself to your advice.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I guess it doesn't look as bulky as it feels?

QYRRXt1l.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    VERY
    SEXY

that's a very cool jacket I like it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I've had it for like 10 years? Got it for $40 at a thrift store.

The other reason I don't wear it

KhL0S9el.jpg

(even though I still love the band...it's too specific and I'm too old to be that punk generally). I should probably figure out if I can wash it out somehow.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Just paint over it with some kind of anime reference

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That's definitely a step in the wrong direction.

I mostly just wish I had left it as a exclamation mark.

I like to ART