As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Cells] - Out of Early Access and on Consoles

1111213141517»

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Got it 4 days ago. Furthest I have gotten is Timekeeper. I only got that far because I got an amulet that made me invisible after 5 seconds of no attacking. That suite my slow and careful playstyle to a T. I had a frostblast too. I get a group of three enemies on one platform, wait until they walk into a group, freeze em, then unload traps and RUN. Unfortunately, Timekeeper can always see you. I put up a good fight, but ultimately died. Freeze weps are excellent for mooks, but are nearly worthless against bosses as bosses resist freeze as their health drops. Shields are dramatically better for bosses. If I had a shield (which I usually do), I think I could have beaten Timekeeper. Projectiles parried right back at him, hook attack slapped away, he woulda been toast.

What I love most about this game is that there is no "One Build to Rule them All". Bosses require different builds from mooks, different levels are easier with different weps. Ranged weps are excellent on an open map like ramparts or promenade, while sewers and clocktower are mazelike with tight spaces that favors things like the impaler and spartan sandals. Shields are viable, even preferable sometimes, which is a rarity for most games like this.

Absolute worst weapon I've ever gotten was a legendary Tonic. Lots of affixes I can use once a stage. I was frankly insulted.

Tonic in general sucks, needs fixing. Like, make the heal one time use, but let the thing itself be used like a regular skill with cooldown so you can access it's affixes. Or let you refill it with your own health for the same amount it heals. Or SOMETHING.

Oiled sword is also bleh. No other wep NEEDS another wep for it to function.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Necromancy is a trap mutation that will never be worth it with the current numbers

Disagree. On certain maps it's good, or at least not terrible. Purulent zombie and Spawner are like mini health packs if you have Necromancy.

Overall, Necromancy is a difficult thing to balance. Because healing is sooooooo restricted, there is a planck thin line between worthless and mandatory for it. There may be no line at all for Necromancy and maybe it just needs to be axed.

EDIT:
    Three Hours Later

Hmm, this is not G+T. Oops.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I'm playing this and I'm not necessarily looking for spoilers, but I have no idea where to find the runes that let you smash through those red floor runes, or the one that lets you wall jump (I assume, given the height of some of the jumps to get to certain areas) I've gotten to the Forgotten Sepulchre and I think I've been to every zone you can get to up to then with the obelisks and vines. Are those rune stones where you fight the elites just elite spawners or are you supposed to get a rune there? Because I beat an elite at one of those and didn't see any permanent rune but I'm afraid I might have missed it under the Cudgel I didn't want to pick up.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    So I'm playing this and I'm not necessarily looking for spoilers, but I have no idea where to find the runes that let you smash through those red floor runes, or the one that lets you wall jump (I assume, given the height of some of the jumps to get to certain areas) I've gotten to the Forgotten Sepulchre and I think I've been to every zone you can get to up to then with the obelisks and vines. Are those rune stones where you fight the elites just elite spawners or are you supposed to get a rune there? Because I beat an elite at one of those and didn't see any permanent rune but I'm afraid I might have missed it under the Cudgel I didn't want to pick up.
    Assuming you've got the teleportation rune, check out the area near the end of the Promenade of the Condemned

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    You mean the one that goes to the
    Ossuary?
    That's where I beat the elite dude in the rune area, and I don't know if I just missed what I should have gotten or if I left that area in too much of a hurry once I was very low on health.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Yeah you must have missed it somehow

• Options
    Well I stupidly died to completely avoidable traps and lost my really good combo build

so I guess I can look again now.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So... this got a big patch. has anyone played it? I'm tempted to load up my copy on Switch again and check it out.

Edit: Whoops, I meant to post in the main thread:

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes

Some highlights:
    - A vast number of items have been updated to make them more useful or powerful. The idea here was to make many "auto-recycle" items much more interesting.
    - Timed doors have all been moved to transition levels. They now offer a multi-purpose reward instead of Scrolls. You can now choose 1 reward for free among 3 (picked among weapons, skills and talismans). Their quality level (+/++/S) is guaranteed, based on the current difficulty setting.
    - Countered bullets can now fly through walls if the countered bullet does
    - The Electric Whip has been updated: it deals more damage and has a 3-steps attack sequence.
    - Fixed Hand of the King attack that did damage the player [sic] before the animation actually hits. It also no longer hits player if he's behind the boss on 3rd strike.

And so on. There's an exhaustive list there, I think it was smart to do all this stuff in one hit. I picked up from my save at the Clock Tower, and in spite being rusty I managed my first successful run! There's a lot to dig into with the changes, but I'm excited to look at the stuff which has been buffed. The Boomerang actually passes through enemies now! The broadsword crits on the second and third swing!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I BEAT IT ON 2BC AFTER 200 HOURS

THEN IN THE SAME DAY 3BC

I AM IMMENSELY PROUD OF THIS

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    dang I haven't played this since it was first released but loved my time with it, this sounds like as good an excuse as any to dip back in

• Options
    edited November 2019
    dang I haven't played this since it was first released but loved my time with it, this sounds like as good an excuse as any to dip back in

Part of my therapy for depression was to fill my time with something. Dead Cells has succeeded at that extremely well.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    qgAbQyZ.png?1

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115db17255f2c694edf2ba347909e1a71151293812&rid=giphy.gif

I WILL GET THAT FIFTH FUCKING CELL SO HELP ME KAMI

Quid on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Man, I need to jump back into this.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAAAAAAAAAAAVE

I got gifted this during the steam summer sale. It's pretty good! Havent quite managed to do in the final boss and unlock boss stem cells yet, but i've gotten very close. So far finding i love survival builds the best - Parrying is a joy in this game (Thank FUCK for the ! marks).

...as is just freezing things and then Nutcrackering them.

Edit: also they did a massive balance pass recently, which seems like it did a lot of good for the game?

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Yeah, I started playing again since the update. I'm to the point now that I can comfortably beat a BC+1 run but still tend to get my shit pushed in on BC+2 runs, which is kind of obnoxious. It's mostly the lack of healing that proves to be a problem, as on BC+2 most healing fountains are destroyed and there are not even single vial pickups in their place the way there is on BC+1. Not sure I'll ever master the game to the point that I can run through it that easily without taking any damage.

I think my favorite build so far is a ranged tactics build that gets high DPS via Support and Tranquility mutations, which can be further enabled by something like a Wolf Trap and/or Heavy Turret. The Great Owl of War is, well, great for this also. A good Quick Bow or Lightning Bolt shreds like this, and the Electric Whip seems much improved since the update too. A little annoyed at the crossbow balance change, though. Now it takes up both your weapon slots and just doesn't really seem worth it. I'd much rather have a regular bow + another weapon under most circumstances.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hello, I’m home

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I’ve been visualizing killing the giant since last night and I’ve got a pretty good grip on him in my head

Edit: Well, okay, I died to a curse in the Graveyard. Tomorrow! Tomorrow I'll kill the giant.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    New indie crossover, bringing weapons, skills & skins from Terraria, Risk of Rain, Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, Katana ZERO & Slay the Spire:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_kmohIc-b4

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I haven’t played this game in so long