As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Champion Champions

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Champion Champions

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    For those other people who needed to be clued in like I did, here's what Kotaku has to say about the Mozambique shotgun:
    The Mozambique has become a joke among Apex Legends players. It doesn’t deal a lot of damage, nor does it hold a lot of ammo, so it’s a less than ideal gun to play with. It’s also, simply, everywhere. Wherever you land on the map, you will find a Mozambique.

dennis on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    The Mozambique is better than having no guns.

Barely.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mozambique is useful for the shotgun ammo near it.

I admit I have pinged it mostly as a joke.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Glad to see they're continuing to lampoon the ridiculous name.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mozambique is useful for the shotgun ammo near it.

I admit I have pinged it mostly as a joke.

Every time I start with one I'm mostly excited that I have ammo for when I find a good shotgun.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Does the gun hold 3 rounds or something, given the name?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »

If I recall correctly it does, which means that unless you are a perfect shot you WILL reload in the middle of a fight and die.

It's not the best gun.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Yes, though the name is more about the triangular shot spread.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Considering the country Mozambique is known for having an AK-47 on its flag, I feel that naming a shotgun after it is kind of a misstep.
    e876zx74qgqo.png

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I can't tell if Level 2 is supposed to be decent or not. Is it?

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I can't tell if Level 2 is supposed to be decent or not. Is it?

Its better than level 1, but the joke here is that someone isn't giving you a hand they are giving you what they just got rid of. Like I ping mods I just discarded because I upgraded.

I did last night ping a mozambique out of a joke that only I got, but fuck yeah I did!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Considering the country Mozambique is known for having an AK-47 on its flag, I feel that naming a shotgun after it is kind of a misstep.
    e876zx74qgqo.png
    Seems to be in reference to this, which is about shooting someone with a pistol twice in the chest and once in the head.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    e876zx74qgqo.png
    Seems to be in reference to this, which is about shooting someone with a pistol twice in the chest and once in the head.

Makes sense. Apparently the Mozambique shotgun actually shoots the Mozambique pattern. Makes me wonder if it's actually more effective if used accurately (or if that was at least the design intent).

e876zx74qgqo.png

Makes sense. Apparently the Mozambique shotgun actually shoots the Mozambique pattern. Makes me wonder if it's actually more effective if used accurately (or if that was at least the design intent).
    Eh, it's shotgun cone of fire makes it kinda finicky what ranges you can actually do that at. Like, if you could pull that off three times in a row, you could, under some ranges and enemy health values, kill people via a mozambique faster than any other shotgun short of a mastiff, but you'd need great aim, and at that point you'll get better DPS, better alpha, better range, better draw speed, and a more forgiving magazine size by using a wingman.
    And to expand on that "more forgiving magazine" part, the mozambique only having a three round magazine is a big drawback for it with its current damage per shot, because even against unshielded targets there's little margin for error to be able to kill an enemy in one magazine. Against opponents with level 3 shields, it's straight up impossible to kill them in on magazine, even if all nine pellets are straight to the head. The one possible niche you can find with it is that its burst DPS is the highest of all normal shotguns, but the actual amount of damage packed into one magazine means that there's very limited ability to actually burst targets down before you run out of ammo. The mozambique, the P2020 semiauto pistol, and sorta the RE45 auto pistol are basically meant to be replaced as soon as you find any other gun in the game.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    For those other people who needed to be clued in like I did, here's what Kotaku has to say about the Mozambique shotgun:
    The Mozambique has become a joke among Apex Legends players. It doesn’t deal a lot of damage, nor does it hold a lot of ammo, so it’s a less than ideal gun to play with. It’s also, simply, everywhere. Wherever you land on the map, you will find a Mozambique.

Thank you.

H9f4bVe.png
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular

It sounds like it's the gun you're meant to find very quickly upon entering a game so that you have something until you find a REAL gun. If that's the case, then I don't see why anyone would expect it to be awesome. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »

It sounds like it's the gun you're meant to find very quickly upon entering a game so that you have something until you find a REAL gun. If that's the case, then I don't see why anyone would expect it to be awesome. :)

I think the point was also that it's everywhere, so pinging it is going to be an incredibly overused joke.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    e876zx74qgqo.png

In Titanfall 2 it had double the ammo and the time to kill was much lower. It was arguably one of the best secondaries in the game.

In Apex it was nerfed to fill the role of common gun you pick up on first dropping but is actually so bad that nine times out of ten, even in a situation with an enemy right there, you're better off either punching the dude or going to look for another gun than spending the two seconds it takes to pick one up.

e876zx74qgqo.png

In Titanfall 2 it had double the ammo and the time to kill was much lower. It was arguably one of the best secondaries in the game.

In Apex it was nerfed to fill the role of common gun you pick up on first dropping but is actually so bad that nine times out of ten, even in a situation with an enemy right there, you're better off either punching the dude or going to look for another gun than spending the two seconds it takes to pick one up.
    I think it was actually nerfed at some point in Titanfall 2.
    And no, it's still better than punching.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    e876zx74qgqo.png

The opportunity cost of picking it up often isn't because that's time you could use to put distance, get the first punch in or find another gun that doesn't become worse than punching if you miss a shot.

e876zx74qgqo.png

The opportunity cost of picking it up often isn't because that's time you could use to put distance, get the first punch in or find another gun that doesn't become worse than punching if you miss a shot.
    If someone is shooting at you right that moment, it's not worth the half second to pick up a mozambique. If someone is punching you, and you're not like, one punch away from death and they're only a meter away from you, pick up that mozambique and dump the mag into their torso. The mozambique deals more damage per shot than a punch, at a longer range, and at a faster rate. If there are people in the area with guns, that half second to pick it up is not going to make the difference between them finding you and not finding you, and having a chance to burst them down with a mozambique compared to the near certain death of trying to punch them to death gives you a way better chance of survival.